Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,579 members, 7,823,511 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! (13315 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Now Illegal, Dogara Warns / Reuters Report : The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Imf Policy For Africa ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Obinoscopy(m): 5:09pm On Jan 03, 2012
gregg and PHIPEX, do you think with the high level of coruption that the government can use the money saved from the subsidy removal in bettering the life of the common Nigerian?

Meanwhile I even laugh when the govt says it it will use the money saved because what the budget is suggesting is that there is no money saved from fuel subsidy removal, it only suggests that we won't go begging again.

Our government have no agenda for us, if they do they should tell us in black and white, the amount that will be saved from the subsidy removal and then they should draw a special semi-budget for that money on what it should be used for. They need to transparent, accountable and plain. They should not be equivocal in their statements (as they are doing right now!)
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by donnelly(m): 5:16pm On Jan 03, 2012
nikkykay:

God will punish this poster and his or her generations to come angry angry angry angry angry
God will bless this poster .we better learn how to believe and trust  our president , let give him a chance , when I was  buying fuel this morning it wasn't funny , 7.1litre for 1000 naira  but I believe at d long run it will stabilize for every body to enjoy.  grin grin grin grin
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jan 03, 2012
Whether we like it or not subsidy removal has empowered the marketers the more. Forget about Okonjo Wahala that they want to stop Nigeria fuel being exported to other neighboring country and subsidy will stop that bla bla alas this people will just increase their price to other w/a countries shikena and the situation continues.

I think Jonathan and his cronies is just doing the will of their father devil because he is the forefather of oppressors
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by PHIPEX(m): 5:21pm On Jan 03, 2012
Obinoscopy:

gregg and PHIPEX, do you think with the high level of coruption that the government can use the money saved from the subsidy removal in bettering the life of the common Nigerian?

Meanwhile I even laugh when the govt says it it will use the money saved because what the budget is suggesting is that there is no money saved from fuel subsidy removal, it only suggests that we won't go begging again.

Our government have no agenda for us, if they do they should tell us in black and white, the amount that will be saved from the subsidy removal and then they should draw a special semi-budget for that money on what it should be used for. They need to transparent, accountable and plain. They should not be equivocal in their statements (as they are doing right now!)

Ofcourse, corruption is a serious issue but that should not enough reason for Nigeria to borrow to finance fuel subsidy, if we must borrow lets borrow for capital consumption. we cry of corruption yet are not willing to pay this price of closing one of the avenues of looting our collecting treasure in the name of giving us free launch.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Obinoscopy(m): 5:36pm On Jan 03, 2012
But PHIPEX if corruption is removed there would be no need for subsidy removal because lots of money would be saved!

Go to ABJ and see how money exchanges hands so frequently. Go there and see how contracts are over inflated. The money losed from corruption is ten times the money used to subsidise our fuel.

OBJ has reduced the money used to subsidise our fuel several times but the money saved from such endeavour has never translated to any increase in capital expenditure, why, CORRUPTION!

You say some people are unduly benefiting from the subsidy, why can't the FG mention their names or even prosecute them! Are they saying those people are untouchable or what! The removal of subsidy is simply an act of trying to sweep dirts (including gun powder) under the carpet. Its a syndromic approach and not a real attempt to solve the root of the problem.

You will be surprised at the cascade of events that will follow due to this subsidy removal. I just pray that GEJ become wise and add the subsidy back before much harm is done
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by UyiIredia(m): 5:41pm On Jan 03, 2012
@ topic >>> that's silly, even the time at which it was removed (at the beginning of the New year) shows gross insensitivity of the government to the plight of Nigerians on this issue.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Fhemmmy: 5:41pm On Jan 03, 2012
I honestly wish and hope will be able to find one thread where we could all just discuss and not insult throwing. . . .
I will like someone to ask GEJ what they have done with all the money that was in reserve when he took office and what they have done with that, they now need more money?
Let them justify what they have done so far.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Fhemmmy: 5:43pm On Jan 03, 2012
donnelly:

God will bless this poster .we better learn how to believe and trust  our president , let give him a chance , when I was  buying fuel this morning it wasn't funny , 7.1litre for 1000 naira  but I believe at d long run it will stabilize for every body to enjoy.  grin grin grin grin

Give him a chance to do what?
What has been the outcome of any money since he has been in power . . .
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by BERNIMOORE: 6:14pm On Jan 03, 2012
Nigeria is sick, Like a child loved by his parents,but he is having a deadly desease and the Only option is to have an operation,But the mother insisted on giving painkiller with temporary relieve drugs to the child anytime he is down over and over for years ,But the father finally took the child to a reliable surgeon for an Operation,though painfull but was successfull,and with time the child FULLY recovered.
But then the child's mother and the siblings never consented or agreed to the operation because they loved the child such that they cant watch him in pain after the operation due to painfull stitches weaved on the stomach.thats just their fear for refusing him the operation and prefer the alternative rather.
WHO LOVES THE CHILD MOST?
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Rastamann: 6:15pm On Jan 03, 2012
Yes, oil subsidy removal may not be a bad thing but no Nigerian in his "right senses" will remove oil subsidy at ths time when Corruption is high and spreading; Poverty and unemployment are massive and persistent; Insecurity is the order of the day; and Majority of Nigerians are suffering and can hardly afford one square meal a day.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by studyineu: 6:33pm On Jan 03, 2012
maybe everyone should go for fuelless generator's and for those that own cars and cant buy fuel. sorry oo
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by MissEZ(f): 6:51pm On Jan 03, 2012
Fuel subsidy in theory is good, but in a country like Nigeria, it is a gamble for the masses. The government has not put the necessary infrastructure in place to be able to pull such a move. For this to make sense, provide stable electricity, adequate transportation (good bus/train systems) etc, before you take a way subsidy.

Also this is a government that cannot be trusted. What have they done with previous public funds? Did they use it to build roads, provide facilities? How do we know that they are going to  use the subsidy money for these things now? If they cannot be trusted with little, why should they be trusted with much? How do we know they wont embezzle funds? I think that there is a lot of naivety concerning this fuel subsidy removal.

Nigerians in diaspora (some, not all) to a certain degree annoy me because we keep comparing Nigeria to other countries without taking into considerations the provisions that are not being made for the masses. We also lack the ability to empathize with people back home, that to me is sad. Please think before you talk as this is a very sensitive issue that concerns the life and well being of people.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by LEXYLOV: 7:35pm On Jan 03, 2012
@ poster na wa 4u ooooooo. where did you come from undecided
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by kulutempa: 7:44pm On Jan 03, 2012
Miss EZ:

Fuel subsidy in theory is good, but in a country like Nigeria, it is a gamble for the masses. The government has not put the necessary infrastructure in place to be able to pull such a move. For this to make sense, provide stable electricity, adequate transportation (good bus/train systems) etc, before you take a way subsidy.

Also this is a government that cannot be trusted. What have they done with previous public funds? Did they use it to build roads, provide facilities? How do we know that they are going to  use the subsidy money for these things now? If they cannot be trusted with little, why should they be trusted with much? How do we know they wont embezzle funds? I think that there is a lot of naivety concerning this fuel subsidy removal.

Nigerians in diaspora (some, not all) to a certain degree annoy me because we keep comparing Nigeria to other countries without taking into considerations the provisions that are not being made for the masses. We also lack the ability to empathize with people back home, that to me is sad. Please think before you talk as this is a very sensitive issue that concerns the life and well being of people.

It is not just this government, but all our governments since independence.  Nigerian leaders do not love their people and do not give a damn about what happens to them, as long as they are alright.   Only a fool will believe a Nigerian leader's empty words or promises.  The way to assess them is by their actions, not words.   Since when has Jonathan Goodluck prosecuted any member of the 'cabal' for subsidy fraud or round tripping?   What all these useless leaders do not seem to understand is that the masses can no longer be conned by sweet words and big grammar.  The key questions to ask yourself is this:  since Jonathan came to power, has there been any change in the basic services provided to Nigerians?  Has the working capacity of our refineries improved?  Has he cut down the number of ministries and parastatals and their bloated staff? Has he ever fired any top official at the NNPC responsible for the shoddy operation of the refineries, or lackluster electricity generation?   The man has no clue about the meaning of the word 'Trust'.  He thinks it can be earned for nothing.  What he does not realise is that it has to be earned.  Every naira and kobo of it.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by UyiIredia(m): 7:58pm On Jan 03, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Like I said on another thread, it's really not that bad. It was an answer to a silent prayer.

This period forces Nigerian men to start trekking, for them to acquire some leg muscles, some upper/lower built.

Potbelly has now become inevitable for Nigerian men.

Enough of the flat behind and skinny legs, waistless etc. . . . ugh. . . . most lazy set of male species I've ever come upon. That shoit can be so freaking irritating.

A typical Nigerian man looks like a freaking pansy. My gosh, do you guys even know what ppl do in the gym? lipsrsealed

Don't worry ! By the time you see men hanging on your car boot for a free ride and openly Bleep**g for fuel you'll know that it's a bad thing.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by tdmoggy: 8:40pm On Jan 03, 2012
ehen, thank God fuel subsidy has been removed. At least there will be more money to chop now. Better mobilisation for contracts!
This is the first thing GEJ should have done since!!  it is chopping time

All these foolish people protesting should go to their houses.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by PHIPEX(m): 8:44pm On Jan 03, 2012
Obinoscopy:

But PHIPEX if corruption is removed there would be no need for subsidy removal because lots of money would be saved!

Your are right at the above but removing corruption is not something that can be giving a deadline and if the current administration thinks that one of the ways to remove it is by removing subsidy, why can we give them the benefit of doubt? Truely there is a tendency to embezzle more bt there is also a possibility that the money which we could hv used to subsidise our consumption will be used for a more fruitful end.

As at when GSM was introduced in naija, we were paying one of the highest rate in the world why didn't we ask for subsidy in call rate so that the poor one among us can also make calls?
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jan 03, 2012
All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing. GEJ has taken a bold step, although ill-timed. Its left to the nation to trust him to develop the country with the funds saved. Everyone wants to enjoy constant electricity and good road, and this is the only way it can be achieved. I am skeptical on how the money will end up being spent, but I choose to take a gamble and pray to God that the government truly deliver their promise. I am sure noone wants to continue with the business-as-usual of people suffering and the leaders stealing. Deregulating the various sectors of the economy will block the channels through which our money is looted. So much money was looted from NITEL before it was deregulated. Now people reap the benefits. I believe the same will go for the power and oil sectors if they become deregulated. The demand for petrol is high, so competition will inevitably drive down the price eventually.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by FEMARY1: 8:51pm On Jan 03, 2012
Some people cannot just think of what happens to their next door.Simple.

Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by rickadon(m): 9:23pm On Jan 03, 2012
complaining and curse each oda,isnt gona change a Goddam tin,lets remove sentiment and look at d policy objectively,do we want a popular policy or an unpopular 1 dat i believe wil bring a gud change at d end of d day? Does it realy pay 2 subsidize a recurrent consumable product.is there any viable economic gain 4rm it?
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jan 03, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I honestly wish and hope will be able to find one thread where we could all just discuss and not insult throwing. . . .
I will like someone to ask GEJ what they have done with all the money that was in reserve when he took office and what they have done with that, they now need more money?
Let them justify what they have done so far.

lamido sanusi addressed this. all our foreign reserve is being used up towards fuel subsidy. the country doesnt generate enough money to service this subsidy. The reserve will almost finish and the only way to continue paying subsidy is by eating into money budgeted for other sectors. there. thats the answer to your question.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by blackracle(m): 9:56pm On Jan 03, 2012
@poster

your father.e no go better for you.
come to 9ja and come and experience hardship.imagine you comparing nigeria to ghana.
you are such a daft punk.
you should rotten in hell for that your statement
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jan 03, 2012
blackracle:

@poster

your father.e no go better for you.
come to 9ja and come and experience hardship.imagine you comparing nigeria to ghana.
you are such a daft punk.
you should rotten in hell for that your statement

Haba sir. That's a bit harsh. He's only stating an opinion. Though he may be misinformed, no need to curse him.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nadanbata: 10:29pm On Jan 03, 2012
@OP[size=17pt]What Sacrifice has PDP GEJ and the Rest Of GOVT made Do Leaders not lead by Example? [/size]
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by muami(m): 10:50pm On Jan 03, 2012
In 2008 when Ethiopia removed fuel subsidy, some analysts argued that exarcebate inflation which was at 19% at that time. However, rather than take to the streets, the people engaged the govt on how the savings should be spent. 3 years later , Ethiopians are smiling as the move helped them to reserve scarce money resources which is being used to achieve food security, enhance health to the population as well as undertake infrastructural developments.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Akiika: 11:00pm On Jan 03, 2012
There is no excuse for the fuel subsidy removal other than reserving more money to steal by the federal Govt. This is an ill-advised time to do such a thing, the economy is at his lowest ebb, there are no jobs (over 50% of Nigerians are unemployed), no electricity, no water (people dig their own bore holes in 21st century), no infrstructures, no schools, no roads, a lot of greedy politicians recycling themselves in power, and worst of all "no security", nobody is any safe, you can be kidnapped or bombed at anytime.
I have lived in the US for 7 years but i can still relate to what people are going through in Nigeria. I visited Nigeria 2 yrs ago and was shocked at how things were expensive.
I'm just praying for one ruthless no-nonsense military man to topple this charade called Govt., arrest and wipe out all of these greedy inhuman politicians.
To the poster of this topic, i'm sure all of your family aren't all in the US. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Akiika: 11:06pm On Jan 03, 2012
muami:

In 2008 when Ethiopia removed fuel subsidy, some analysts argued that exarcebate inflation which was at 19% at that time. However, rather than take to the streets, the people engaged the govt on how the savings should be spent. 3 years later , Ethiopians are smiling as the move helped them to reserve scarce money resources which is being used to achieve food security, enhance health to the population as well as undertake infrastructural developments.
Where is the Petroleum trust fund? where are the Abacha loot money Abdul Salami/OBJ recovered? it evaporated into the thin air. Same will happen to the saved subsidy money, there will be nothing to show for it. There is no rule of law in Naija, politicians will steal money and still boast of it.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by muami(m): 11:10pm On Jan 03, 2012
Akiika:

There is no excuse for the fuel subsidy removal other than reserving more money to steal by the federal Govt. This is an ill-advised time to do such a thing, the economy is at his lowest ebb, there are no jobs (over 50% of Nigerians are unemployed), no electricity, no water (people dig their own bore holes in 21st century), no infrstructures, no schools, no roads, a lot of greedy politicians recycling themselves in power, and worst of all "no security", nobody is any safe, you can be kidnapped or bombed at anytime.
I have lived in the US for 7 years but i can still relate to what people are going through in Nigeria. I visited Nigeria 2 yrs ago and was shocked at how things were expensive.
I'm just praying for one ruthless no-nonsense military man to topple this charade called Govt., arrest and wipe out all of these greedy inhuman politicians.
To the poster of this topic, i'm sure all of your family aren't all in the US. You should be ashamed of yourself.
The situation you just described is actually the best time to remove subsidy. This is because the rationale for removiing subsidy is to save money with which to solve all or at least part of the problems you mentioned. If the whole money goes to subsidize fuel, which money would the govt use to fix the infrastructure, water and electricty?
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by muami(m): 11:13pm On Jan 03, 2012
Akiika:

Where is the Petroleum trust fund? where are the Abacha loot money Abdul Salami/OBJ recovered? it evaporated into the thin air. Same will happen to the saved subsidy money, there will be nothing to show for it. There is no rule of law in Naija, politicians will steal money and still boast of it.

The Naija politicians would only be able to steal the money if we continue to shout 'I no go gree, I no go gree' rather than critically engaging the govt now to get guarantees and safeguards the way Ethiopians did. sometimes I think the problem we have is that we still think we are in a military regime where every action you don't like can only be challenged by taking to the streets.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nadanbata: 11:16pm On Jan 03, 2012
Akiika:

This woul reduce instantly the cost of this GOVT that does very little for Nigerians. 70% of budget is for govt imagine how much could be done cool cool cool. Bleep the senators, house reps etc all uselesss.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jan 03, 2012
Akiika:

God bless you!

I haven't lived in Nigeria since I was a boy and all this just disgusts the living day out of me.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jan 03, 2012
muami:

Wow! Ethiopians are smiling? Really?!

By the way: DO ETHIOPIAN SENATORS EARN UPWARDS OF $2MILLION+ EVERY YEAR?!?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Profile Of Chief Olusola Oke The Next Governor Of Ondo State(!?) / Adams Oshiomhole Attends Auchi Day Celebration (Pictures) / Tinubu’s N57.8bn Rice Palliative Raises Dust

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.