Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,680 members, 7,823,919 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:25 PM

The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! (13317 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Now Illegal, Dogara Warns / Reuters Report : The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Imf Policy For Africa ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by realchange: 11:27pm On Jan 03, 2012
fuel subsidy had to go
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jan 03, 2012
Awon oloshi, That foolish Sanusi himself said 90% of the poor live averagely with 2$ per day, in naira, it is 300 daily, and then we buy fuel for 1$ which is 150 naira,, how will the poor survive? And fuel subsidy is not a bad thing? I agree it is not a bad thing when you look at the advantages, but how much have we heard of these idiots promises, when i get to be the president, we will have this, we will have that, And then another idiot came out saying we are here to help the poor, we are here to build roads, provide health services, my question is, what has happened all these years, where did the cash go? They give budget and they do not do anything, And now the fuel subsidy is what they would use to get all this done? Very funny, Be fooled my friends, you want real gist, Every year, every one of them is allowed to take 2 or more of their families out of the country to spend about a million each or more on them, and now, what do you have to say about that? Sometimes when we get upset for no reason, they say we have overdone it, but sincerely, if i had the opportunity of doing something, i would hurt and hunt every child of these so-called men, i will kill them with my bare hands, How will you and i survive, if they do not talk about the increament of salaries, it isn't in their budget, it isn't in their topic of discussion. I will not protest if we have our power supply intact, i won't protest if we have our refineries intact, i won't protest when i know the security of this country is 80%, I won't protest when Boko haram was a topic of discussion at a point, and all of a sudden, they made their minds up removing subsidy despite lives that were lost, despite schools being on strike. I won't protest when billions have been given to these people just to take care of their homes, and health care, Someone needs to get hurt, their kids should be the aim, Then they will know how serious we are, If you won't do something, Lol, I will,
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Akiika: 11:32pm On Jan 03, 2012
muami:

The situation you just described is actually the best time to remove subsidy. This is because the rationale for removiing subsidy is to save money with which to solve all or at least part of the problems you mentioned. If the whole money goes to subsidize fuel, which money would the govt use to fix the infrastructure, water and electricty?
What happened to the money that should have been used to fix these things "the answer" is the same thing that will happen to the saved subsidy fund.
Furniture allowance, feeding allowance, sitting allowance, foreign trip allowance, aristo allowance e.t.c will all increase on the next budget. GEJ will then think of buying another presidential jet. Patience jonathan will take over another Govt. agency building to form a second NGO and syphone these monies through it.
Guys i have met one the Govt. retinue of aides on one of their junket foreign trips, they spend money like water!!!

Can you justify a Nig. Rep. earning more salary than the US president?

What a Senator Earns In Nigeria - N29, 47749.00 Per Year.
Basic Salary - N2, 484, 245.50.
Hardship Allowance @ 50% of Basic Salary - N1, 242, 122.70 ( I love this kind of hardship)
Consistuency allowance @ 200% of BS - N4, 968, 509.00
Furniture Allowance @ 300% of BS - N7, 452, 736.50
Newspaper allowance @ 50% - N1, 242, 122.70 ( Which kind newspaper be this shey na online or hard copy).
Wardrobe allowance @ 25% - N621, 061.37
Recess Allowance@ 10%: - N248, 424.55
Accommodation @ 200% - N4, 968, 509.00.
Utilities @ 30% - N828, 081.83.
Domestic Staff @ 35% - N863, 184.12.
Entertainment @ 30% - N828, 081.83.
Personal Assistance @ 25% - N621, 061.37.
Vehicle Maintenance Allowance @ 75% - N1, 863, 184.12.
Leave Allowance @10% - N248, 424.55.
One off payments (As advised by SagamiteSeverance gratuit)y @ 300% - N7, 452, 736.50 (Once they get fired.)
Motor Vehicle Allowance @ 400% of BS - N9, 936, 982.00 - Every Four Years
Senators Salary per month. - N2, 456, 647.7
Total = N29, 479, 749.00 i.e. $193,945
* 109 Senators Grand Total = N 3, 264, 329, 264.10
i.e. $21,475,850
A feeding frenzy!!!
Salary of U.S. President: $250,000/yr.
GDP U.S. Economy: $13Trillion/ yr.
Allowance Nig. Senator: $1,500,000/yr
GDP Nig. Economy: $45 Billion/yr.
And they want more.
What will happen when the saved subsidy fund becomes available?
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by muami(m): 11:35pm On Jan 03, 2012
kingoflag:

Wow! Ethiopians are smiling? Really?!

By the way: DO ETHIOPIAN SENATORS EARN UPWARDS OF $2MILLION+ EVERY YEAR?!?

Yes, Ethiopians are smiling. A little research would confirm that. While they don't have the best economy in the world, they are far better than where they were when they had subsidy. in 2010, Ethiopia had the 3rd fastest Human Development Growth rate as confirmed by the 2010 Human Development Index. They also had one of the fastest growing economy that same year. If we are ready to argue objectively and not sentimentally, the fact are there.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nadanbata: 11:35pm On Jan 03, 2012
Akiika:

What happened to the money that should have been used to fix these things "the answer" is the same thing that will happen to the saved subsidy fund.
Furniture allowance, feeding allowance, sitting allowance, foreign trip allowance e.t.c will all start increasing. GEJ will then think of buying another presidential jet. Patience jonathan will take over another Govt. agency building to form a second NGO. e.t.c

Maybe award that his wife an 1 Billion Naira allowance for food as well.  cool cool
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by muami(m): 11:41pm On Jan 03, 2012
Akiika:

Furniture allowance, feeding allowance, sitting allowance, foreign trip allowance e.t.c will all start increasing. GEJ will then think of buying another presidential jet. Patience jonathan will take over another Govt. agency building to form a second NGO. e.t.c

Of course, no doubt, the govt needs to cut the cost of governance. However, that is another issue for which Nigerians can now insist they do.That said, if you look at last year's budget figures, you would realise that even if govt cut all non essential expenses, the savings would still be a child's play compared to the amount spend on fuel subsidy. so, any suggestion that govt cuts expenses but still leave fuel subsidy is merely scratching the surface(howbeit huge)
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jan 03, 2012
muami:

Yes, Ethiopians are smiling. A little research would confirm that. While they don't have the best economy in the world, they are far better than where they were when they had subsidy. in 2010, Ethiopia had the 3rd fastest Human Development Growth rate as confirmed by the 2010 Human Development Index. They also had one of the fastest growing economy that same year. If we are ready to argue objectively and not sentimentally, the fact are there.

LMAO. Dude, I have 2 people of  Ethiopian descent next to me right now (So it doesn't seem like I'm stretching the truth refer to my posts from the past) and their unanimous conclusion is that you have no idea what what you're talking about.

(Actually, honestly, what one of them said was "This Co*ck S**ka is Fu**ing *St**pid"---- but I couldn't bring myself to repeat such words to my fellow African brother)
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nobody: 11:53pm On Jan 03, 2012
Simple question, he dodged it. DOES ETHIOPIA PAY HER SENATORS $2MILLION A YEAR?!
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by muami(m): 11:57pm On Jan 03, 2012
kingoflag:

LMAO. Dude, I have 2 people of  Ethiopian descent next to me right now (So it doesn't seem like I'm stretching the truth refer to my posts from the past) and their unanimous conclusion is that you have no idea what what you're talking about.

(Actually, honestly, what one of them said was "This Co*ck S**ka is Fu**ing *St**pid---- but I couldn't bring myself to repeat such words to my fellow African brother)

I quoted from an internationally recognized report. You don't need to be educated to know that I would trust that report more than the personal (and wholly sentimental and unsubstantiated) views of two faceless 'Ethiopians' sitting next to you somewhere in planet earth.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Akiika: 12:00am On Jan 04, 2012
muami:

Of course, no doubt, the govt needs to cut the cost of governance. However, that is another issue for which Nigerians can now insist they do.That said, if you look at last year's budget figures, you would realise that even if govt cut all non essential expenses, the savings would still be a child's play compared to the amount spend on fuel subsidy. so, any suggestion that govt cuts expenses but still leave fuel subsidy is merely scratching the surface(howbeit huge)
The defenseless public don't have to suffer the brute of their mismanagement. Our Govt is the biggest in the world, Texas is about 74% of the whole of Nigeria.
I posted the salaries and allowances of the 109 senators earlier,, the multitudes of the House of Reps are still there. State Representatives, LGA chairmen, councillors, gazillion of aides e.t.c
Let's have a maximum of 5 states per region, let's adopt a death penalty for mismanagement/embezzlement of public fund of over 1 million naira, life improsonment for over 500k to 1 million. Abolish the silly immunity of serving Governors. All human have the tendency to be corrupt but if there is rule of law in place, people will behave.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nobody: 12:08am On Jan 04, 2012
muami:

I quoted from an internationally recognized report. You don't need to be educated to know that I would trust that report more than the personal (and wholly sentimental and unsubstantiated) views of two faceless 'Ethiopians' sitting next to you somewhere in planet earth.

True!

But then, I scrolled through you posting history and I couldn't help but agree with them. You really need to f*uxck off and go die somewhere and sell your bullshi^yt to other gullibles that'll fall for it hook line and sinker.

You still haven't answered: DO ETHIOPIAN SENATORS EARN MILLIONS OF DOLLARS AS SALARIES EVERY YEAR?!
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by muami(m): 12:10am On Jan 04, 2012
kingoflag:

Simple question, he dodged it. DOES ETHIOPIA PAY HER SENATORS $2MILLION A YEAR?!

I deliberately did'nt answer that question. If you know the basics about philosophy and logic, check for the fallacy called 'ignoratio elenchi' (irrelevant conclusion, missing the point – an argument that may in itself be valid, but does not address the issue in question). I don't waste my time responding to arguments which come within that fallacy.
Ok. Let me make it clearer for you. The issue here is whether 'Fuel subsidy removal is a bad thing'. If you are concerned about the allowances  earned by senators, ou can start another thread or lead a protest against the senators and who knows, I may join you on that. But for now, lets keep the argument logical!
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by muami(m): 12:15am On Jan 04, 2012
kingoflag:

True!

But then, I scrolled through you posting history and I couldn't help but agree with them. You really need to f*uxck off and go die somewhere and sell your bullshi^yt to other gullibles that'll fall for it hook line and sinker.

You still haven't answered: DO ETHIOPIAN SENATORS EARN MILLIONS OF DOLLARS AS SALARIES EVERY YEAR?!

No wonder you have such Ethiopians as friends. Birds of the same feather. When you have nothiing objective or factual to say, you resort to insults.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nobody: 12:19am On Jan 04, 2012
muami:

I deliberately did'nt answer that question. If you know the basics about philosophy and logic, check for the fallacy called 'ignoratio elenchi' (irrelevant conclusion, missing the point – an argument that may in itself be valid, but does not address the issue in question). I don't waste my time responding to arguments which come within that fallacy.
Ok. Let me make it clearer for you. The issue here is whether 'Fuel subsidy removal is a bad thing'. If you are concerned about the allowances  earned by senators, ou can start another thread or lead a protest against the senators and who knows, I may join you on that. But for now, lets keep the argument logical!  

No, you did not answer because you are deceitful. Running around NL spamming everywhere calling this an "ACN Protest" and you expect to be taken seriously!!! Telling Nigerians, that are wallowing in poverty, that their attempts to uplift themselves through these protests will fail. . . dude, you need to shut the fux*ck up for real.

Removing Fuel subsidy is not a bad thing, creating another class of Uber-Impoverished Citizens is though, won't you agree?

Your previous posts discredit you and it'll be hard for me to take you seriously. Imagine this one talking about logical? What is more logical than the fact that less than 1 percent of the population feed fat on 74% of the country's annual budget (and earn Millions of Dollars in the process) while almost 75-80% of the population try to survive on $1/day?!

Ol boy, abeg carry your book go siddon somewhere. Call your bosses and go join Beaf in a corner; tell them you have failed today. Try again tomorrow.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:19am On Jan 04, 2012
The key questions to ask yourself is this:  since Jonathan came to power, has there been any change in the basic services provided to Nigerians?  Has the working capacity of our refineries improved?  Has he cut down the number of ministries and parastatals and their bloated staff? Has he ever fired any top official at the NNPC responsible for the shoddy operation of the refineries, or lackluster electricity generation?   The man has no clue about the meaning of the word 'Trust'.  He thinks it can be earned for nothing.  What he does not realise is that it has to be earned.  Every naira and kobo of it.

Nothing but the truth.

Only way Naija can move forward is if sensible rebels kill all of these people. Seriously. No fool left behind.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nobody: 12:22am On Jan 04, 2012
muami:

No wonder you have such Ethiopians as friends. Birds of the same feather. When you have nothiing objective or factual to say, you resort to insults.

Yes, I will resort to insults because I do not have the time to play the silly-two faced games most of you were raised to play. Look at you. Look at Beaf and co. If I didn't know any better I'd say "Oh, what well spoken gentlemen. They write so intelligently". Then, I go through your history and you're nothing more than a farce. A freaking hypocrite.

Ol boy, move jo!
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:22am On Jan 04, 2012
kingofflag don kill me.  grin
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nobody: 12:25am On Jan 04, 2012
What in the hell is wrong with people repeating the same thing over and over again? "Fuel subsidy is a drain on the economy", "Funds from subsidy will be used to fund infrastructure"  Infra what? That couldn't be provided when  since? Have you people in support of subsidy removal asked the government officials to have their pays dropped by 60% first? That way We can use some of that to subsidize people.

The vague statement was that funds from subsidy will be used for infrastructure. How exactly, we do not know. I watched the 4hrs debate and it's a shame that we are still at this primitive stage of pointing out to one accomplishment in one year (Seaport) Ngozi was using improvement in seaport as a sign of something being done after close to two years of Jonathan in power? Seaport?

How did approved 200b become 1trillion? How? How exactly? Please stop repeating the same bullshit that the money from subsidy removal will be used for building infrastructure. Where exactly? When exactly? Did you read the budget or are you just plain dumb enough to swallow anything Ngozi, Deziani and Sanusi has to say? The rhetoric for subsidy removal from Sanusi is drain on economy, from Ngozi, Infrastructure, from Deziani, deregulation of downstream whatever. I'm not impressed.

Listen to this, the first companies that will invest in oil refinery in Nigeria will be foreign. Don't trust me? Wait and see. Even if we have 100 refineries in Nigeria today, the price ain't going down no more. Do you know how much profits these blood suckers will rack up? more than 1000% They get crude from Nigeria, refine it in Nigeria but guess what, they want to sell it the same price they sell to other customers they have in US, Canada etc, They won't take into account anything local. Yet these companies are not capitalized in Nigeria but in their mother nations. To hell with free market!! How come China is doing better without the so called free market?

I don't have a problem with subsidy removal if ever we have subsidy but what exactly happens to the locally refined 50,000 barrels per day or so. Petroleum minister said she improved the capacity of the refineries to 60% so we should be refining at least 100k barrels per day. Now are you going to sell the locally refined ones for 140/L too or use it to subsidize food transport and movement of the people around? Like Ben Bruce suggested.

So you removed subsidy today and already subsidized fuel is being sold to the masses at unsubsidized rate? What the hell? Just say you want to jack up fuel price, There was no subsidy, Yes we have to subsidize production but faaaccck you want to subsidize companies who don't add to your GDP but that of their mother nations. What happened to PIB? What happened? All big oil companies are suppose to be refining in Nigeria too, To hell with free market, It's jungle market not free market (Americans and stupid obsession with the illusion called freedom)
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by muami(m): 12:27am On Jan 04, 2012
kingoflag:

No, you did not answer because you are deceitful. Running around NL spamming everywhere calling this an "ACN Protest" and you expect to be taken seriously!!!

You may not like the post but it is the FACT! Contradict it if it is false. No protest in south south: FACT! No protest in south east: FACT! No protest in North (except for a small incident in Kano involving less than 20 persons and lasting for lesv than an hour) : FACT!
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nobody: 12:52am On Jan 04, 2012
muami:

You may not like the post but it is the FACT! Contradict it if it is false. No protest in south south: FACT! No protest in south east: FACT! No protest in North (except for a small incident in Kano involving less than 20 persons and lasting for lesv than an hour) : FACT!

Sebi You now see that you're a real oloshi eniyan?!

Are you not the one, less than 10 mins ago that was trying to tell your head how stu*pid it was for (according to you) trying to sway from the original topic? But, the moment I mentioned "ACN" look at you. . . . Instant Hard-on. . .eja*culating all over his computer screen. Olofo.

Not that hard to spot you bigots, huh?

I do not expect SS/SE to join now, but soon, reality will bite them and when it does, then, they'll have no choice but to start burning down buildings and kidnapping their Governors for ransom. So, the fact that people are scared to fight for their rights, are ignorant of their rights, and are basically being divided and conquered  is your proof that SS/SE support this evil policy?

Listen here, you bigoted nitwit, A resident of Lagos (by virtue of his greater earning power) is in a better position to pay the new gas prices than any resident of anywhere in either the SS/SE. But, guess who first picked up the gauntlet to fight this injustice? Ahhhh. . . . .  Ok, you're seeing the big picture now.

As we speak your Oga is in consultation with everyone of influence in that country trying to quench a fire thats most likely going to consume him if he doesn't play his cards right. If you think you've seen anything yet, then it shows you're not as smart as you think. Wait till this time Thursday when people will realize that the Naira they have in the banks have suddenly lost almost 65% of their value and watch the people go berserk.

My advice for you sha; Try not to speak of your views in a gathering that has two or more people o. Remember, Nigerians will no longer burn people to death because of this fuel scarcity but they still have many crude methods of expressing themselves--- especially those whom your policies have kept uneducated and ignorant for so long. Those ones no dey understand "Indexes" or "Per Capita Income" once dem vex. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nobody: 1:20am On Jan 04, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

kingofflag don kill me.  grin

Nah, its not funny. These dudes are evil.

P.S: You know I know you in real life, right?
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:24am On Jan 04, 2012
who doesnt know me in real life.

Im a star cheesy
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by aljharem3: 1:25am On Jan 04, 2012
muami:

can you shut it

there are protest in Kogi, Nasarawa, Kwara, Gombe, Kano, Kaduna, Abuja, Beune, Jigawa

In the south west, there are protest in Oyo, Lagos Ogun.

so please know what you are talking about ok.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Nobody: 1:44am On Jan 04, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

who doesnt know me in real life.

Im a star  cheesy

Lol. Egbe.

Not "Know" know but Ive seen you once or twice and in pics.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Ndipe(m): 1:45am On Jan 04, 2012
Sometimes, I wonder if Nigeria is better off with a military regime over a civilian regime.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by sniperwolf(m): 3:18am On Jan 04, 2012
Removal of fuel subsidy is not a bad thing, but it is bad when you put the cart before the horse
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by oseo1(m): 3:54am On Jan 04, 2012
The removal of the subsidy is not a bad thing, its something that needed to be done. I am all for reducing the salaries of our senators and legislator but in reality we do not have the social structure to do that. I will give you an example, in the US ex presidents get paid about 72% of the current presidents salary, and the do not pay any bills, the literally have all their bills up to their cell phone bills paid until they die. In Nigeria when you leave office you are on your own. Also on the feeding budget, its not just their families they are feeding, if you run a household like mine where you have guest around the clock you will understand that it can be pretty costly, im not sure if state dinners and the likes are included on that bill but if they are then its not totally outrageous its high but not as high as you think. But i digress,

The subsidy removal opens doors to the private sector to invest in private refineries, with the subsidy prices were completely regulated by the government there by discouraging private investment. Now if i can build my refinery and sell my product for N10 its my business. there have been willing investors for years/decades but because the sector wasn't deregulated they couldn't come in. That alone is a benefit of the subsidy removal.

I know its been said several times but its the truth, right here ad now it will be tough for many people but in the not so distant future we will all reap the benefits of the subsidy removal.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:25am On Jan 04, 2012
you must not live in Naija then kingoflag. where you be? lol

Ndipe:

Sometimes, I wonder if Nigeria is better off with a military regime over a civilian regime.

Ive known the answer for a while now. No need to wonder
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by sartorius(m): 7:01am On Jan 04, 2012
I share sentiment with the op. Nigerian should forget we have oil issue it is sickening, maybe in 30 years time when reserves would be ve been exhausted, do u know what our population would be like in 30 yrs, we are on an unsustainable path, and we are mortgaging the lives of those that would be born in some decades.

But i share sentiments and similar distrust because goverment hasnt shown plans that the money would be efficiently used, so i support the protests. subs removal is ill timed and should be phased becaue of the massive unemployment and poverty around
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Impulse80(m): 7:07am On Jan 04, 2012
Why can't u dumbheads read the writing on the wall, this money that is being recovered will still end up in the pockets of our greedy politicians, and then how can the poor masses enjoy the so-called dividends of democracy
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by Beaf: 7:17am On Jan 04, 2012
muami:

I deliberately did'nt answer that question. If you know the basics about philosophy and logic, [size=21pt]check for the fallacy called 'ignoratio elenchi' (irrelevant conclusion, missing the point – an argument that may in itself be valid, but does not address the issue in question). I don't waste my time responding to arguments which come within that fallacy.[/size]
Ok. Let me make it clearer for you. The issue here is whether 'Fuel subsidy removal is a bad thing'. If you are concerned about the allowances  earned by senators, ou can start another thread or lead a protest against the senators and who knows, I may join you on that. But for now, lets keep the argument logical! 

Gboza! cool
That is what we get here in the politics section. There are several types who think that expressing stup!dity loudly and aggressively makes them seem smart or right. It does neither, intead such attitudes make people seem dishonest and proudly unpolished.

People, please stick to the topic and leave out cheap sentiments.

The subsidy is gone and it was a bad thing, stick to that debate.
Re: The Fuel Subsidy Removal Is Not A Bad Thing! by adewale005: 7:39am On Jan 04, 2012
By Femi Fani Kayode, ђã†̥ exactly Ȋ̝̊̅§ nigeria subsidizing.
When President Olusegun Obasanjo was in power we spent 300 billion per year on the fuel subsidy. Under the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan it shot up to 1.3 trillion naira in the last one year alone. Can someone please explain to me how it got so high in 4 years and what exactly they were subsidizing with the extra one trillion naira? When the Obasanjo government left power in 2007 the country was no longer in debt and the 30 billion dollar foreign debt that Obasanjo met when he came to power in 1999 was fully paid off. Today, under the administration of Jonathan, our country is back in debt to the tune of 41 billion dollars (both foreign and domestic) and we are still borrowing. Can someone please tell me what the loans were used for and whether we will ever be able to pay them off? When the Obasanjo administration left power in 2007 our foreign reserves were 80 billion dollars even though when he came into office in 1999 we only had 1.5 billion dollars.Today our foreign reserves have dropped from 80 billion dollars in 2007 to 33 billion dollars. Can someone please tell me where all the money went? When the Obasanjo administration left power in 2007 23 billion dollars was left in the Excess Crude Account after he built it up from nothing in 1999. Today we do not have one dollar left in that account because the money has been squandered and the account scrapped. Can someone explain to me who spent that money and precisely what it was spent on? By the time the Obasanjo administration left power in 2007 not one bomb had gone off in Abuja throughout his 8 years in office and neither did we shy away from confronting the evil and dealing a hard blow to the terrorists wherever and whenever it was necessary to do so. Today bombs go off at will all over the north, the President hides in the Villa and churches were targetted on christmas day in Abuja. When Obasanjo was in power we did not remove the fuel subsidy because it would have caused too much pain to the Nigerian people and because there was no safety net in place to reduce that pain. President Jonathan however did not have any such inhibitions or qualms. Just seven days after we suffered the horrendous trauma of the xmas day bombings and probably as a New Year's Greek gift to the Nigerian people, our President finally removed the oil subsidy. He did this knowing fully well that it will lead to untold suffering and terrible hardship for the next few years for the Nigerian people, most of whom still live below the poverty line. Can someone please tell me why President Jonathan wants Nigerians to cry? Yesterday he not only said that he would "crush Boko Haram" but he also declared a state of emergency in a few local government areas in some northern states. Can someone please tell me why our President could not do this 6 months ago when some of us first advocated it and thereby save many lives?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Threatens To Sue IGP Over The Disappearance Of His Accusers / Kwankwaso Visits Ebonyi Governor, Umahi (Photos) / Sadiya Farouq: FG Pays Suppliers Of Food For January School Feeding Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.