Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,744 members, 7,955,838 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:39 PM

Seun Can We Have A Protest Section? We Still Need Some News! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Seun Can We Have A Protest Section? We Still Need Some News! (912 Views)

Photos From A Protest In Rivers Against Wike Alledged Plan To Sack LG Chairmen / Lagos State Grants SNG Permission To Stage A Protest At Gani Park On Saturday / Soldiers Curtailed My Movements To Lead A Protest - Femi Falana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seun Can We Have A Protest Section? We Still Need Some News! by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:48pm On Jan 05, 2012
This is now out of hand, for the past 5 days people have just been posting regurgitated news and fabricated news(rumors) 

We need to debate more pressing issues and move our nation forward. I am not a believer in false living and this subsidies or credit lifestyle Nigerians are seeking; as it will get us nowhere.

Nigeria needs to approach it's development and economic growth route as the only means to attaining an internationally recognized standard of living for its Citizens.

Economic Growth and Development(Industrialisation) not Subsidies. Get creative and productive Nigerians. kiss kiss  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-840100.0.html
Re: Seun Can We Have A Protest Section? We Still Need Some News! by UyiIredia(m): 7:03pm On Jan 05, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe:

This is now out of hand, for the past 5 days people have just been posting regurgitated news and fabricated news(rumors) 

We need to debate more pressing issues and move our nation forward. I am not a believer in false living and this subsidies or credit lifestyle Nigerians are seeking; as it will get us nowhere.

Nigeria needs to approach it's development and economic growth route as the only means to attaining an internationally recognized standard of living for its Citizens.

Economic Growth and Development(Industrialisation) not Subsidies. Get creative and productive Nigerians. kiss kiss   

You must be naive not to realize this is a pressing issue. And we demand that we do not have to pay for government's ineptitude.
Re: Seun Can We Have A Protest Section? We Still Need Some News! by mobf: 7:15pm On Jan 05, 2012
Thank you Uyi. Can you beleive a sane Nigerian saying this "We need to debate more pressing issues and move our nation forward. I am not a believer in false living and this subsidies or credit lifestyle Nigerians are seeking; as it will get us nowhere"
It's not your fault, just stay where you are and leave us to our struggle. Internationally recognized standard of living my foot!
Re: Seun Can We Have A Protest Section? We Still Need Some News! by Ufeolorun(m): 7:20pm On Jan 05, 2012
^
OP. is one of those people on NL whose 'us v them' mindset wouldn't allow to think straight.
I think there's NTA online, you can go there to get more pressing issues
You will have to deal with being sidelined for now cos the majority have spoken.
Fiddlesticks!
Re: Seun Can We Have A Protest Section? We Still Need Some News! by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 7:21pm On Jan 05, 2012
I have not come to trade insults with tribalist but; what would you four do if Nigeria was to seize being an Oil Producing country today?
Re: Seun Can We Have A Protest Section? We Still Need Some News! by mobf: 7:25pm On Jan 05, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe:

I have not come to trade insults with tribalist but; what would you four do if Nigeria was to seize being an Oil Producing country today?
Now is not the time for tales by moonlight
Re: Seun Can We Have A Protest Section? We Still Need Some News! by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 7:57pm On Jan 05, 2012
mobf:

Now is not the time for tales by moonlight

@ mobf, I fully understand the significance of oil subsidies for Nigerians, that obviously is the only benefits Nigerians are getting from being an oil producing country.

It is a large sum of money that is accounted for and which everybody benefits. It is like a benefit system for Nigerians.

The question now is wat happens in 20 to 50 years time wen dat benefit dries up? Will Nigerians now spend every penny of annual budget on fuel subsidies which still wouldn't be enough, or do we early in the day start planning for a post oil resources future, just like they are doing in Dubai via restructuring economy to tourist based economy?

I think Jonathan just made an early break from an unsustainable falsehood of a lifestyle to laying some solid foundations for the future generations and post oil Nigeria.

Let us allow the President to do his work and set us all on a path of success via restructuring our economy.

Re: Seun Can We Have A Protest Section? We Still Need Some News! by OmoTier1(m): 8:10pm On Jan 05, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe:

@ mobf, I fully understand the significance of oil subsidies for Nigerians, that obviously is the only benefits Nigerians are getting from being an oil producing country.

It is a large sum of money that is accounted for and which everybody benefits. It is like a benefit system for Nigerians.

The question now is wat happens in 20 to 50 years time wen dat benefit dries up? Will Nigerians now spend every penny of annual budget on fuel subsidies which still wouldn't be enough, or do we early in the day start to plan for a post oil resources future, just like they are doing in Dubai via restructuring economy to tourist based economy?

I think Jonathan just made an early break from an unsustainable falsehood of a lifestyle to laying some solid foundations for the future generations and post oil Nigeria.

Let us allow the President to do his work and set us all on a path of success via restructuring our economy.

Stop acting like you'r clever!, 60% to 80% of NDs do not live on oil, go to Warri, Asaba, P/H, Benin City etc vast majority of the residents are petty traders, civil servants! It is the FG that lives on Oil, and uses that revenue to fuel her lavish life style and corruption. The only direct benefit of Nigeria being an oil producing national is the lower price of Fuel for the citizen and the FG can not derive a workable means to get this in place at sustainable cost.

All Nigerians have been asking for is 'light' 'hospital' 'Security' 'Water' and Eduaction' and then see how we will turn the country around, but the FG have refused to provide and guarantee these,
Re: Seun Can We Have A Protest Section? We Still Need Some News! by aljharem3: 8:13pm On Jan 05, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Stop acting like you'r clever!, 60% to 80% of NDs do not live on oil, go to Warri, Asaba, P/H, Benin City etc vast majority of the residents are petty traders, civil servants! It is the FG that lives on Oil, and uses that revenue to fuel her lavish life style and corruption. The only direct benefit of Nigeria being an oil producing national is the lower price of Fuel for the citizen and the FG can not derive a workable means to get this in place at sustainable cost.

All Nigerians have been asking for is 'light' 'hospital' 'Security' 'Water' and Eduaction' and then see how we will turn the country around, but the FG have refused to provide and guarantee these,

thank you
Re: Seun Can We Have A Protest Section? We Still Need Some News! by mobf: 8:22pm On Jan 05, 2012
@ Bliss4lyfe you think this untimely event is going to be alright with the nation in the short run? Maybe you've not been following up with events since this man became the president, not ONE sincere word from him. All he displays is weakness and indecisiveness. Now he wants to set us on the right path by removing the subsidy while cost of governance triples to the chagrin of the taxpayers!  i used to be in favour of the removal of subsidy only at the appropriate time but given the nature of our leaders i am not in support of it anymore.

I really do not intend to waste anymore time slaying the President. I am saving my energy for the protests to be held here in Abuja.
Re: Seun Can We Have A Protest Section? We Still Need Some News! by Nadanbata: 10:44pm On Jan 05, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

[size=14pt]Stop acting like you'r clever!, 60% to 80% of NDs do not live on oil, go to Warri, Asaba, P/H, Benin City etc vast majority of the residents are petty traders, civil servants! It is the FG that lives on Oil, and uses that revenue to fuel her lavish life style and corruption. The only direct benefit of Nigeria being an oil producing national is the lower price of Fuel for the citizen and the FG can not derive a workable means to get this in place at sustainable cost.
[/size]

cool cool cool
Re: Seun Can We Have A Protest Section? We Still Need Some News! by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:50am On Jan 06, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Stop acting like you'r clever!, 60% to 80% of NDs do not live on oil,  go to Warri, Asaba, P/H, Benin City etc vast majority of the residents are petty traders, civil servants! It is the FG that lives on Oil,  and uses that revenue to fuel her lavish life style and corruption. The only direct benefit of Nigeria being an oil producing national is the lower price of Fuel for the citizen and the FG can not derive a workable means to get this in place at sustainable cost.

All Nigerians have been asking for is 'light' 'hospital' 'Security' 'Water' and Eduaction' and then see how we will turn the country around,  but the FG have refused to provide and guarantee these, 

@Omo_Tier1, Thanks for collaborating my point. The Federal government relies on oil revenues and taxation to fund projects for Nigeria. Yes we have had corrupt government in the past and even the oil subsidies is a corrupt channel for sourcing out government funds.

My point is that GEJ has promised to invest a lot of this money on national projects for Nigerians perhaps we should give him a chance. Already, his administration have started work on so many projects nationwide and funding is required to complete this project.

mobf:

@ Bliss4lyfe you think this untimely event is going to be alright with the nation in the short run? Maybe you've not been following up with events since this man became the president, not ONE sincere word from him. All he displays is weakness and indecisiveness. Now he wants to set us on the right path by removing the subsidy while cost of governance triples to the chagrin of the taxpayers!  i used to be in favour of the removal of subsidy only at the appropriate time but given the nature of our leaders i am not in support of it anymore.

I really do not intend to waste anymore time slaying the President. I am saving my energy for the protests to be held here in Abuja.

@mobf The cost of governance in Nigeria is something that is way too high and requires cuts. No dispute their but with regards to the right time for the removal of fuel subsidies, exactly how much time do you think Nigeria would require,50 to 60 years or after the oil in the Niger-Delta runs out with Nigeria and Niger-Deltans having nothing to show for it and not to talk of waste and pollution that the NIger-Delta would have become, they would be worst than peasants with no land or water?
Re: Seun Can We Have A Protest Section? We Still Need Some News! by OmoTier1(m): 11:30am On Jan 06, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe:

[/b]

@Omo_Tier1, Thanks for collaborating my point. The Federal government relies on oil revenues and taxation to fund projects for Nigeria. Yes we have had corrupt government in the past and even the oil subsidies is a corrupt channel for sourcing out government funds.

My point is that GEJ has promised to invest a lot of this money on national projects for Nigerians perhaps we should give him a chance. Already, his administration have started work on so many projects nationwide and funding is required to complete this project.

Look if you are in Nigeria or probably have visited Nigeria since Jonathan took over, then you would understand why Nigerians the world over are very very skeptical of His government! How do you take a President for His word after He gave his approval to the National Minimum Wage Act only to turn around and started 'selective' implementation! Beside that was after NLC and other civil societies threaten to embark on nation wide peotest.

As for the projects you mentioned, the fact remains that this administration have dotted Nigeria will bogus projects! Several of those projects are only on paper. There are several projects started by the Obasanjo and Yar'dua regimes which any sensible government would quickly want to complete 'cos some of those projects were very popular with the people. Oh need I refer you to the Presidential advisory committee report which gave GEJ a bitter pill verdict several of the Federal Government projects on-going are not well thoughtout and are way too expensive compared to similar projects elsewhere. You know what, after the committee published their report, , they were disbanded So when Nigerians do not want to give GEJ the benefit of the doubt is simiply 'cos He has not shown any sign of seriousness in governance! Look at Lagos, Edo states. The government went about demanding the citizens pay higher taxes than they were used to. Initially there was resent, but after sometime, people started seeing what they were doing with the taxes and most people gave in and now taxes in those states is what the government is using to develope the states.
Re: Seun Can We Have A Protest Section? We Still Need Some News! by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 2:55pm On Jan 06, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Look at Lagos, Edo states. The government went about demanding the citizens pay higher taxes than they were used to. Initially there was resent, but after sometime, people started seeing what they were doing with the taxes and most people gave in and now taxes in those states is what the government is using to develope the states.

@Omo_Tier, I am glade of the progress we have made from the subsidies issues since yesterday becos we are now debating the real issue which is development. As u rightly pointed out in Lagos and Edo State, the government demanded more taxes and are utilising them to better the lives of their residents respectively.

Nigerians in general have no reason to trust any government becos all have been a disappointment. I myself have my reservations for now. But, just like Edo and Lagos State perhaps we might start to see more from GEJ administration with this extra fund they would have to spend.

All am saying is let us wait and see wat he does with the money. Besides, they have promised the price of petrol will drop in coming months.
Re: Seun Can We Have A Protest Section? We Still Need Some News! by OmoTier1(m): 3:05pm On Jan 06, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe:

@Omo_Tier, I am glade of the progress we have made from the subsidies issues since yesterday becos we are now debating the real issue which is development. As u rightly pointed out in Lagos and Edo State, the government demanded more taxes and are utilising them to better the lives of their residents respectively.

Nigerians in general have no reason to trust any government becos all have been a disappointment. I myself have my reservations for now. But, just like Edo and Lagos State perhaps we might start to see more from GEJ administration with this extra fund they would have to spend.

All am saying is let us wait and see wat he does with the money. Besides, they have promised the price of petrol will drop in coming months.
Are you in London Protest? If not, why not?, okay, Cyberarm here, replying you in the busy schedule!

The truth of the matter is this: GEJ has had two massive budgets to give Nigeria and Nigerians a sense of direction as regards development but He failed! Nigerians are very easy people to lead , Gen. Buhari rtd. Meaning, if you show Nigerians that you walk your talk, they would give you the room to do your best 'cos they do not expect you to be in a position to fix everything in one go!

Telling Nigerians you need N1.3tn to build infrastructure when in actual fact the true subsidy amount as quoted by your own CBN Governor and Finance Minister is N900bn leaves much bitterness in the mouths of Nigerians! Have you read the SURE documents? That is the documents that contains what they will be doing with the money saved but heaven knows, it is riddled with projects that have already been appropriated for in 201, 2011 and are captured in 2012 budget yet to be debated by the NASS. Other projects are unrealistic, 'cos to complete them, you would need to sink in the entire budget for at least the next 3years!, So you really can not blame the people when they say they do not trust the government!

Is Fashola turning around everything in Lagos?, not exactly, but He doing some manythings right that give Lagosians that they are on the path to recovery! Same goes with Edo. Can we say the same of GEJ?, absolutely not!
Re: Seun Can We Have A Protest Section? We Still Need Some News! by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:07am On Jan 07, 2012

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Kingpin Qaqa, Buckles! / Violence In Jos, Killing Students / My Worst Experience With Mtn 150MB Daily Plan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.