Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,460 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today (38676 Views)

NIGERIA 2015: We Did Not Endorse Jonathan – Labour Party / Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today / Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today Thur Jan 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by OAM4J: 4:28pm On Jan 12, 2012
Jonathan, Labour leaders to meet at 5pm today

President Goodluck Jonathan is to lead a Federal Government delegation to a meeting with labour leaders at the Presidential Villa today.

THE PUNCH learnt that the meeting would hold at 5pm.

They are expected to work out a solution to the general strike, widespread anger and protests over the government’s removal of fuel subsidy on January 1, 2012.

The strike and protests entered their foruth day today.

Labour is demanding that government must revert from N141 to N65.

Senate President, David Mark, who confirmed the meeting in a short interview with Senate correspondents in Abuja, said there was “light at the end of the tunnel.”

Speaking after meeting with Labour leaders at his residence, Mark said the Senate had succeeded in getting both sides to discuss the January 1, 2012 controversial removal of fuel subsidy by the Federal Government.

“Our efforts are to ensure that Labour and government sit down to discuss the issues and I think we have achieved that. There is going to be a meeting today between the government and the leadership of Labour,” Mark said.

The Senate president had earlier on Thursday led a delegation of senators to the Presidential Villa for a short meeting with Jonathan and senior government officials.

The Senate and House of Representatives had at separate sittings called on Jonathan to revert to N65, in the interest of the nation, and enter into serious negotiations with Labour.

Also, eminent Nigerians such as former President Olusegun Obasanjo and former President Shehu Shagari; clerics, politicians; and leaders of thought had pleaded with Jonathan to revert the price.

http://www.punchng.com/news/jonathan-labour-leaders-to-meet-at-5pm-today/
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by indoorlove(m): 4:39pm On Jan 12, 2012
Hmmm! Lets wait as the event unfold itself.
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by prodam(m): 4:40pm On Jan 12, 2012
indoorlove:

Hmmm! Lets wait as the event unfold itself.

yes, its gonna be interesting i guess,
we are waiting
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jan 12, 2012
No retreat no surrender
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by kemmeye: 4:46pm On Jan 12, 2012
im expecting the worst so i wont be dissapointed undecided
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by 989900: 4:47pm On Jan 12, 2012
If we are not careful some wil sell out. . .65 naira nothing short o' that
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by xanadu333: 4:47pm On Jan 12, 2012
So GEJ is still alive? I thought he was dead 4 d past 4-days. So he just woke up 4rm sleep wit his ugly wife. I've said it b4 I'm running out of patience. I wnt badluck to go by fire by force. Pdp will never have my vote again 4 life. I'm angry cos I voted for dis fooool
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by Pukkah: 4:47pm On Jan 12, 2012
Did he meet with Labour leaders before he raised the price by over 100%? Did he prepare us before unsettling the economy? He should simply do the needful and revert the price without holding costly meetings. He can revisit the issue of the subsidy in future in a more proper and thoughtful way.
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by joesbuba: 4:47pm On Jan 12, 2012
mr president is right,we cant continue like this and expect development,the government is not good in handling busines let the private sector take over, it might be expensive but sevices will be available, its better government have the subsidy money than few oil impoters,its left for we to pressurise the government to fufil they promise nothing good come easy,this is my take on subsidy
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by valencia25(m): 4:48pm On Jan 12, 2012
I hope he resolves this strike, Kudos to #Occupynigeria
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by nairaman66(m): 4:49pm On Jan 12, 2012
Interesting! N65 or W.A.R- NLC/TUC no selling out ooO!!
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by destinedtee(m): 4:52pm On Jan 12, 2012
I anticipate a positive and good outcome.
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by sandee575(f): 4:55pm On Jan 12, 2012
Methinks it gonna be pegged at 100naira per litre for now.
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by Timmy321(m): 4:56pm On Jan 12, 2012
Sheet. Badluck don KILL NIGERIAN MASSES FINISH. LABOUR LEADERS GO CARRY "GHANA MUST GO" GO HOUSE TODAY. Nigerian masses una own don finishooooooooooo. TOTAL DESTRUCTION AWAITS THEM ALL.OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by ronkebp(f): 4:57pm On Jan 12, 2012
We expect him to make a reasonable statement, so that the strike can be called off, we are loosing money as a nation, people are hungry oooooo. angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jan 12, 2012
No more Free Oil!
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by atiku07(m): 4:59pm On Jan 12, 2012
Lol as expected dey agree on either 100 or 90 naira per liter
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by atasteve: 5:00pm On Jan 12, 2012
Yes, no selling out o.
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by JaaizTech: 5:00pm On Jan 12, 2012
joesbuba:

mr president is right,we cant continue like this and expect development,the government is not good in handling busines let the private sector take over, it might be expensive but sevices will be available, its better government have the subsidy money than few oil impoters,its left for we to pressurise the government to fufil they promise nothing good come easy,this is my take on subsidy
Yes I agree with you. But in addition He should explain to us how He managed to spend 1.3 trillion naira on fuel subsidy while his predecessors spent far less. What changed so drastically Why didn't he query such suspicious humongous difference. It appears to me subsidy was the siphon He used to fund his campaign.
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by OAM4J: 5:00pm On Jan 12, 2012
I expect a figure between N80 and N100 for petrol to be agreed upon, then the remaining subsidy can be removed gradually as the government improves on providing the palliatives/infrastructures it promised, cutting down the costs of government, be more transparent and show seriousness in fighting corruption.
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by xtremeidea(m): 5:01pm On Jan 12, 2012
A welcomed development! but please Let Jonathan put on his thinking cap before he enters the meeting. cuz another deadlock will do this country no good.
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by joesbuba: 5:02pm On Jan 12, 2012
i hope the labour leader see reason with govt and stop the strike,no govt will want his people to suffer,hope we all reason well and surpport the govt,nigerians has sufferd alot but this one wil not kill us CARRY GO GEJ
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by born2boink(m): 5:03pm On Jan 12, 2012
They should resolve the issue because the most hurt part is the increase in beer,girlfriend demand and ashewo

Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jan 12, 2012
Dont protest and people no hear,we talk am tire make people no join NLC/TUC protest but dem no gree hear.Now labour and FG go settle.People wey die just die like rats due to this political protest!
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by Bisjosh(f): 5:06pm On Jan 12, 2012
ℓ̊ don tire to d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ sit for hse o tongue tongue hoping and waiting for a G̶̲̥̅ud feedback angry
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by 989900: 5:07pm On Jan 12, 2012
I just watched the NLC and co. representatives interviewed after the first meeting. . their facial expressions not convincing. . let's wait and see anyways.
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by humblebee: 5:08pm On Jan 12, 2012
@born2fuck, and why did you have to hide your face behind the board
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by Demdem(m): 5:10pm On Jan 12, 2012
whats wrong wth the retardeen now? does he have to see them before he revert back to N65?
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by damola1: 5:14pm On Jan 12, 2012
You know, am very shocked that the Govt. didn't iron this issues out with NLC before now, I am extremely shocked, I thought they had done their homework, How do you expect to tripple living cost without consulting with the payer?
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by karlmax2: 5:15pm On Jan 12, 2012
What happened to no 65 naira no talk foolish Nigerian
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by ronkebp(f): 5:16pm On Jan 12, 2012
OAM4J:

I expect a figure between N80 and N100 for petrol to be agreed upon, then the remaining subsidy can be removed gradually as the government improves on providing the palliatives/infrastructures it promised, cutting down the costs of government, be more transparent and show seriousness in fighting corruption.

80.00 to 100.00 naira makes a lot of sense.
Re: Jonathan, Labour Leaders To Meet At 5pm Today by obxddon(m): 5:16pm On Jan 12, 2012
abeg oooo make una dey update us as the meeting dey go

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

They Will Lose Together - Presidency Reacts To Atiku, Obasanjo Meeting / Godwin Maduka Rejects Anambra Election Results, Calls For Fresh Election / Aisha Buhari Apologises To Nigerians Over Economic Hardship And Insecurity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.