Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,337 members, 7,819,187 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

"I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs (7683 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / Photo - Buhari Meets Jeffery Feltman USG UN. Dept Of Political Affairs. / Flash! Ghana Against Ngozi Okonjo Iweala. Nominated Prof. Jeffery Sachs!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by canuck(m): 8:47pm On Jan 16, 2012
US Professor regrets Backing Nigeria’s subsidy removal

I regret supporting subsidy removal, says UN Adviser

Some details have emerged about how the Goodluck Jonathan Presidency misled international figures and experts into endorsing its now controversial removal of subsidy on petrol which initially saw the price per liter rising to N141 with the resulting labour strike and street protests.

One of such international figures is the Special Adviser to UN secretary General on MDG, Professor Jeffrey Sachs, an American professor of economics, who visited President Jonathan after the removal of fuel subsidy and was reported to have praised the decision as a good move.

Sachs then commended the subsidy removal policy as “a bold and correct policy”. He described the government intervention programmes in rural development in the past 24 months as innovative.

But Sachs’ position has since shifted following the outrage expressed about his comments on micro blogging site Twitter.

In reaction to continuing criticisms on Sunday, he wrote on @ JeffDSachs that “I do my homework very carefully in general, for 30 years, but not on this one. A mistake I regret…I see better that I don’t know the specific details on the subsidy to be accurate. I’m listening and learning. Most important thing I could say is government must build trust with civil society based on anti-corruption, fairness, accountability.”

On whether he was not told about the level of corruption in Nigeria before endorsing removal of subsidy, Sachs said “They didn’t have to tell me. I’m very heartened to see civil society rising against corruption. Yes, I walked out of a meeting and into a sound bite! Not good. The situation is complex and deep reforms are needed…I’m sorry that I’ve been misinterpreted. It’s hard to be heard accurately in this noisy world!”

He assured those bombarding him with questions that he understood what they are going through in Nigeria. “I’ve noticed how the politicians barely care about the universities. Sad and costly for Nigeria!” He said.

The Professor of Economics said he had no idea about the subsidy removal until it happened, as he was “not in regular contact on macro policy.”

Source: http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/01/16/us-professor-regrets-backing-nigerias-subsidy-removal/
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jan 16, 2012
I knew it that NOI will lead GeJ to destruction. They'll end up exposing themselves to the world as corrupt pple
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by canuck(m): 9:21pm On Jan 16, 2012
toba:

I knew it that NOI will lead GeJ to destruction. They'll end up exposing themselves to the world as corrupt pple

Pardon my ignorance - What/Who is NOI? Could that be the initials of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala?
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by ng4life9: 9:29pm On Jan 16, 2012
yes you are right op,Imperialist messenger, she is NOI
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by largie(f): 10:18pm On Jan 16, 2012
I wish NOI would learn from auntie Dora as much as she was loved in her NAFDAC days she already in the archives when her covers got blown
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by Mobinga: 10:33pm On Jan 16, 2012
And PDP's Chief propagandist Beaf and his government take another loss

First of all, your logic about Nigerian law is unfortunate and daft. How do you think Internet Law was formed in the West, if not by taking Internet matters to the law courts and setting presedents? Or maybe you think God gave it to them at Mount Sinai on tablets of stone with lightening flashing and volcanoes bellowing.

Secondly, how can you guarantee that some of your DDOS traffic will not pass through the US and Europe? You need to find out what continent the undersea cable is connected to.
Your traffic passes through servers in their territory? You've committed a crime they can nab you for.

Thirdly, both the UN and EU openly declared their confidence in GEJ. What do you think that was code for? I will explain it in two simple apt words, the message they were conveying to stoneheads like you is; "DONT PHUCK."

Lastly, because of the stance of the UN and EU and the fact that the protests are being coordinated from abroad, it is safe to declare that every last protest organiser has been positively identified. Even a dunce would realise that

Dude, the West is the home of cyber warfare (ask Iran about their exploding factories); if you attack a country from their space, you are zonked. Take it or leave it, script kiddie.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-841166.32.html#msg9918192

Clearly, the move was idiotic. I don't understand how you can double the price of an ubiquitous commodity like Fuel overnight and not expect remonstration.

Clueless government, mindless supporters.
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jan 16, 2012
and so it begins

the sane professionals begin to distance themselves from endorsing the despotic regime of emperor gej

there was mild drama on channels today when they asked noi about her stance on the soldiers in lagos.

the woman responded - i did not hear you. she was asked again, and she replied louder i did not hear you. after a brief interlude, she returned and when asked this mouthed some - you will have to ask the security officials. the woman must be burning with shame
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by ochukoccna: 11:12pm On Jan 16, 2012
@ sachs,
you should have done your homework well before choosing sides.
shame on you
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by Nchara: 11:14pm On Jan 16, 2012
''The SW protest against subsidy removal was about ''protecting our brother cabals''
We want to protect Wale Tinubu and by extension ex- Gov Tinubu
We want to protect Adenuga
We want to protect Otedola
We want to protect Otudeko''

However,

Like Yorubas, Igbos also have their own oil cabals (Ubah, Mbah and Iheanacho), yet Igbos support removing the sugar from the mouths of their own cabals because a few cabals cannot be more important than the masses.

The North also have cabals and for joining the protest, they were also protecting them.

For more information on the difference between the SW and SE cabals, visit: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=847509.msg9978747#msg9978747
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jan 16, 2012
ochukoccna:

@ sachs,
you should have done your homework well before choosing sides.
shame on you

un comot hand

the man too comot hand

small time ngozi sef fit comot hand
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by Kobojunkie: 11:30pm On Jan 16, 2012
-[size=13pt] The price of petrol has doubled since the removal of the fuel subsidy to around 150 naira ($0.93) a liter. A Nigerian on the monthly minimum wage of 18,000 naira ($109), who spent his whole salary on petrol, could afford 124 liters.[/size]

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-nigeria-strike-profiletre80a18g-20120111,0,7804533.story
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by canuck(m): 2:14am On Jan 17, 2012
oyb:

there was mild drama on channels today when they asked noi about her stance on the soldiers in lagos.

the woman responded - i did not hear you. she was asked again, and she replied louder i did not hear you. after a brief interlude, she returned and when asked this mouthed some - you will have to ask the security officials. the woman must be burning with shame

Yes o; heard about that.

And that the Channels anchor person was all flustered; fidgety, shaky voice, like a deer caught in the headlights of NOI's subsidized cars.
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by canuck(m): 2:23am On Jan 17, 2012
Nchara:

Like Yorubas, Igbos also have their own oil cabals (Ubah, Mbah and Iheanacho), yet Igbos support removing the sugar from the mouths of their own cabals because a few cabals cannot be more important than the masses.

The North also have cabals and for joining the protest, they were also protecting them.

I have never met any Nigerian whose actions are so tribally based as you have painted here - What has Mbah's wealth got to do with the good people of Anambra, or Otedola's loot to do with the hardworking people of Akure, or MRS' largess with my Aboki brodas in Sokoto? Nor be so o.

BTW, Kano NLC even defied the national body today by carrying out street protests.
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by aljharem(m): 2:26am On Jan 17, 2012
[size=14pt]You see

That is what we are telling GEJ but it seems he knows better than others.

It is sad that external governments have to be dictating to our government how to rule the people.

I remember when UN and IMF said the removal of subsidy was good, Beaf ,Jmaine, efisher etc all came and said "even foreigners said it is good" as if foreigners know Nigeria more than the people I mean they have never lived on the streets of warri, kano, Lagos or port harcourt before, how can they have a right economic and social political judgement of Nigeria I ask ?

It is a big shame that even at this point, people would still come and justify the removal now when the 2011 budget is not even over so the money made from now to april is awoof to the government.

Nigerian FG does not even provide water for her citizens and we still pay for it. I am sure in America and UK it is differnet.

Yet people like Asari dokubo, Igbo governors etc have tribalised the issue when they are also the problem facing this nation today.

A big shame.
[/size]
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by aljharem(m): 2:36am On Jan 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-nigeria-strike-profiletre80a18g-20120111,0,7804533.story

thanks for the link

can you imagine. smh
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by Katsumoto: 3:05am On Jan 17, 2012
Professor Sachs - how much were you paid?

You seriously do not expect the people of Nigeria to believe that a tenured professor of economics (Harvard, Columbia) would be so ignorant of what is going on in the world. You seriously do not expect people to believe that you ventured an opinion on a subject you knew little about.
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by canuck(m): 4:00am On Jan 17, 2012
Katsumoto:

Professor Sachs - how much were you paid?

You seriously do not expect the people of Nigeria to believe that a tenured professor of economics (Harvard, Columbia) would be so ignorant of what is going on in the world. You seriously do not expect people to believe that you ventured an opinion on a subject you knew little about.

Kai! See as Katsumoto just exposed the man!

When Oyinbos see[b] tax-free[/b] dollars (a $200K tip is enough sef in this case) - They begin to misbehave - A highly decorated and celebrated Professor forgot what he learned in kindergarten. He forgot the automated discipline, developed over 30 years, of doing his "homework"! cheesy

Surely, a gift "debases the heart".
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by Jenifa1: 4:08am On Jan 17, 2012
Jefferey Sachs can go to hell. I can't even bear to listen to him.

what I don't understand is why african countries always listen to these arm-chair economist who do not know the reality of Africans yet they directly or indirectly create majority of our economic policies.

and then when they realize they have failed, they point fingers at "corrupt politician"
as if they were ignorant of the fact that said politicians were corrupt in the first place.
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by Katsumoto: 4:09am On Jan 17, 2012
canuck:

Kai! See as Katsumoto just exposed the man!

When Oyinbos see[b] tax-free[/b] dollars (a $200K tip is enough sef in this case) - They begin to misbehave - A highly decorated and celebrated Professor forgot what he learned in kindergarten. He forgot the automated discipline, developed over 30 years, of doing his "homework"!  cheesy

Surely, a gift "debases the heart".

A man who must have graded many papers, exams, dissertations, and reviewed peer materials expects people with sane and clear minds to believe that he forgot to do research on a subject he was going to not only discuss but also champion surreptitiously. Surely he was incentivised to conveniently forget about researching or presenting the findings of his research.

Sachs was/is one of the youngest Economics professors at Harvard and currently has a tenure with Columbia, another Ivy league institution. He is a professor in a research influenced science, Economics. Even a professor of synchronised swimming would not make such a criminal error.

Jenifa_:

Jefferey Sachs can go to hell. I can't even bear to listen to him.

what I don't understand is why african countries always listen to these arm-chair economist who do not know the reality of Africans yet they directly or indirectly create majority of our economic policies.

and then when they realize they have failed, they point fingers at "corrupt politician"
as if they were ignorant of the fact that said politicians were corrupt in the first place.

Don't be fooled; they claim ignorance when they are paid to get it wrong.
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by Jenifa1: 4:20am On Jan 17, 2012
the guy just strikes me as being extremely arrogant. always trying to take credit for economic successes around the world but blaming others for d failures. so into himself. funny thing is I always thought his millenium village was a brilliant idea. but the more i learn of him, the worse my impressions become
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by wellmax(m): 9:14am On Jan 17, 2012
F00ls F00ls F00ls
I hate it when people tribalize every issue put up for discussion here. the Ibos took a sidon look approach, now you guys have the guts to watch your dirty linen in public. My wife is Ibo, but not the stup1d type, hence wont sat much here. Iyanmiri.
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by nagoma(m): 9:20am On Jan 17, 2012
Pardon my ignorance - What/Who is NOI? Could that be the initials of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala?

[b]Noose Of I[/b]MF
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by Nobody: 9:24am On Jan 17, 2012
This same Sachs came to Nigeria in 2009 to Michael Okpara University in Abia State and openly decried government's refusal to invest in Nigerian Universities.I heard him first-hand say that.
An American and a world-class economist is decrying his stance and is regretting the corruption in the system.
Yet worm-turds like Beaf and co are here supporting subsidy removal because fat-so.w NOI is involved.
The idiocy that abounds (as highlighted by Ndigbo in the SE) is really traumatizing.
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by honeric01(m): 9:39am On Jan 17, 2012
Do not forget to pay back the money you were bribed with.
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by Nobody: 9:59am On Jan 17, 2012
But really is the subsidy still active? are we not suppose to buy fuel at N141 or so according to the subsidy removal debate? then why N97? who is paying the N43 balance? please explain to me
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-847894.0.html
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by ikkkkk: 11:03am On Jan 17, 2012
Medicine after death. After leading us all astray, is that how he wants to say he is sorry? it's not accepted Quack Prof. better think of a way to amend your mistakes.
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by Mobinga: 11:06am On Jan 17, 2012
LOL, Watch how BEAF, JMAINE and EFISHER ridiculously avoid this thread.
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by brainpulse: 11:30am On Jan 17, 2012
the dividend of corruption
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by MrResource(m): 11:34am On Jan 17, 2012
The Prof. thinks the Nigerian economy follows the same line as other economies. . .
One after the other. . .who's nExT grin
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by OSFarinde(m): 11:43am On Jan 17, 2012
I know beaf is online but not just commenting , You better apologise now , grin even professor Sachs did , , or are you scared your oga GEJ will think you weak and remove you from his ' online propaganda ' cabinet ? grin grin
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by LEXYLOV: 12:01pm On Jan 17, 2012
alj harem:

[size=14pt]You see

That is what we are telling GEJ but it seems he knows better than others.

It is sad that external governments have to be dictating to our government how to rule the people.

I remember when UN and IMF said the removal of subsidy was good, Beaf ,Jmaine, efisher etc all came and said "even foreigners said it is good" as if foreigners know Nigeria more than the people I mean they have never lived on the streets of warri, kano, Lagos or port harcourt before, how can they have a right economic and social political judgement of Nigeria I ask ?

It is a big shame that even at this point, people would still come and justify the removal now when the 2011 budget is not even over so the money made from now to april is awoof to the government.

Nigerian FG does not even provide water for her citizens and we still pay for it. I am sure in America and UK it is differnet.

Yet people like Asari dokubo, Igbo governors etc have tribalised the issue when they are also the problem facing this nation today.

A big shame.
[/size]

Yes Brother. The religion and tribal sentiments that brought Odechukwu upon Nigerians is still at work, Because SS,SE people feel that their area has never provide any president since 1966 coups and the best they can offered is  this dummy. Last night, I was telling some people at joint that it was not any tribe in Nigeria that marginalized them for a while at that time but its the price they have to pay because of their rebellion against the government and the people of Nigeria as a whole. It was not a tribal order but a national order. And till now majority of igbos want a breakaway without a reasonable clue. And thus if they does I wonder who will be their president in that country because everyone there will want to rule,because that is where everyone want to become chairman or leader and fight for power will eventually start and i don see any end there, even within igbos themselves there's big disagreement and don't expect Niger/delta or rivers to follows them cause that will not happen. Sooner they realize that its better to remain united and have a good government that will benefit the whole masses irrespective of tribe/religion that person might come from sooner is better. All what Nigerians are asking is good and transparent leader that will deliver. Simple.
Re: "I Regret Supporting Subsidy Removal" - Prof Jeffery Sachs by AjanleKoko: 12:11pm On Jan 17, 2012
Too little, too late.
The man just wants to swim with the popular tide.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" / Senator Godswill Akpabio Celebrates His Uncommon & Sweet Victory [Video &Photos] / Breaking: Governor Obaseki Joins PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.