Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,543 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US (5061 Views)

Shiites: Iran Calls Nigeria To Stop Crackdown On Group / Cbn’s Crackdown On Bank Debtors Pays Off / Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Mamajama(m): 2:48pm On Oct 12, 2007
Reprieve may have come for thousands of Nigerians on the run from American immigration authorities as a federal judge has blocked a proposed rule requiring employers to fire workers whose names don't match their Social Security numbers, dealing a major blow to the Bush administration's crackdown on illegal immigration.

The government has stepped up a crackdown on illegal immigrants following intense pressure from law makers and lobby groups.

According to the INS, over 200,000 Nigerians in the US have no legal status. Under existing government rule, businesses with employees, whose names and Social Security numbers don't match would have three months to correct the mistakes or fire the employees. If not, they could face government prosecution.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/national-12-10-2007-006.htm
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Mamajama(m): 2:51pm On Oct 12, 2007
This is becoming a national issue in the state. as far as I am concern. this people are part of the economy. They are law abiding citizens and are paying their taxes. they should be left alone as long as they are not involved in any criminal activities.

USA need a better programme for immigrants. There was a case of a illegal Latino worker who saved up to $57,000. His account was frozen on the precedence that he is illegal. He worked hard for that money and should be given back his money. Leave this people alone please.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by presido1: 5:36pm On Oct 12, 2007
Mamajama:

Leave this people alone please.
Are u talking to us or to THEM.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 12, 2007
Mamajama:

This is becoming a national issue in the state. as far as I am concern. this people are part of the economy. They are law abiding citizens

Abiding by what law?

Mamajama:

and are paying their taxes.

they have no choice, not paying taxes would put them in worse trouble with the IRS.

Mamajama:

they should be left alone as long as they are not involved in any criminal activities.

How do you know that faceless people are not involved in criminal activities?

Mamajama:

USA need a better programme for immigrants. There was a case of a illegal Latino worker who saved up to $57,000. His account was frozen on the precedence that he is illegal. He worked hard for that money and should be given back his money. Leave this people alone please.

Wrong! His money was confiscated because he failed to declare that he was carrying more than $10,000 in cash to the US customs. That is a crime.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by egin(m): 10:08pm On Oct 12, 2007
davidylan:

Abiding by what law?

they have no choice, not paying taxes would put them in worse trouble with the IRS.

Wrong! His money was confiscated because he failed to declare that he was carrying more than $10,000 in cash to the US customs. That is a crime.

What is your solution?
Deportation?
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Nobody: 11:08pm On Oct 12, 2007
egin:

What is your solution?
Deportation?

It is financially impossible at this stage, however i do not support a process of legalisation as that will be unfair to the many who have spent donkey yrs on the official queues.
Make it harder for illegals to get jobs, health insurance and other government benefits . . . deport those who are caught. . . that might do the trick.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by labiyemmy(m): 11:25pm On Oct 12, 2007
great news - no hiding place for all those diasporians - watch them fished out of their hiding holes
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Kobojunkie: 11:33pm On Oct 12, 2007
davidylan:

Abiding by what law?

I love the way you catch these things  grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

A couple of years ago, Lagos experienced a huge influx of immigrants from liberia and Ghana. What happened? what did the people do?? Well, most of them were hard working and decent beings but they still had to leave, infact, the majority were deported by the Nigerian government cause of the problems that arose from the mass move. Jobs went to these people and basically, the economy was strained.

Now, it is America that has a problem with immigrants and suddenly they are decent and law abiding people and need to be left alone??
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by omoge(f): 1:02am On Oct 13, 2007
@labiyemmy:

great news - no hiding place for all those diasporians - watch them fished out of their hiding holes

hahaha.

some of them give nigeria a bad name too. i wonder where they work (maybe Nigerian owned business)

i can't imagine life as an ilegal.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by labiyemmy(m): 4:33am On Oct 13, 2007
some? not some of them - all of them - send them back home and let them turn to farmers.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Nobody: 4:41am On Oct 13, 2007
@labiyemmy:

some? not some of them - all of them - send them back home and let them turn to farmers.

We seriously need a "doh" smilie for dishonest characters like Mr. alabi the farmer.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by wed123(m): 2:31am On Oct 16, 2007
The target of this crackdown is really the Mexicans. But if it comes to the worst, I trust Nigerians. Before the authorities take a step, they're already two ahead!
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by almondjoy(f): 4:46am On Oct 16, 2007
@labiyemmy:

Are you not one hiding somewhere in the UK?  Because we do not have jherri curls anymore in Nigeria. tongue

@labiyemmy:

Tee! hee! hee! hee! hee!  You are too funny.  I just love reading your posts.
Be prepared for more area boys and girls to visit you at night after farming to supplement their "minimum wage" income from your farming proposal. wink

davidylan:

We seriously need a "doh" smilie for dishonest characters like Mr. alabi the farmer.

Please give my "uncle alabi" a break!!!! He does not consider UK "the diapora" since it is Nigeria's backyard! tongue

@ Topic
This is a good time to enlist all my relatives to move over to the US-- I think another amnesty programme is coming up like the one I used not too long ago. tongue  With over 14 million undocumented workers, I do not see how all can be deported.  there has to be a compromise somehow---I am really looking forward to it.  The land of opportunities and the land of the merciful! tongue

wed123:

The target of this crackdown is really the Mexicans. But if it comes to the worst, I trust Nigerians. Before the authorities take a step, they're already two ahead!

Sharp sharp now! The only deportable Nigerians are the 419 ones!
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by denex: 9:03am On Oct 16, 2007
There is major crackdown on illegal immigrant in France and some other parts of Europe. There is a crack down on all immigrants in Switzerland whether legal or illegal, as long as you're not from a wealthy nation, you'll be out at your first mistake.

I don't believe this is all happening par chance, I'm sure there's a concerted effort. Things must change.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by labiyemmy(m): 10:30am On Oct 16, 2007
almondjoy:

Are you not one hiding somewhere in the UK?  Because we do not have jherri curls anymore in Nigeria. tongue

Tee! hee! hee! hee! hee!  You are too funny.  I just love reading your posts.
Be prepared for more area boys and girls to visit you at night after farming to supplement their "minimum wage" income from your farming proposal. wink

Please give my "uncle alabi" a break!!!!  He does not consider UK "the diapora" since it is Nigeria's backyard! tongue

A simple answer to your stupid question - I am not hiding - I travel anywhere world wide whenever I wish and with my Nigerian passport - mugun.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by FACE(m): 1:07pm On Oct 16, 2007
It is financially impossible at this stage, however i do not support a process of legalisation as that will be unfair to the many who have spent donkey years on the official queues.
Make it harder for illegals to get jobs, health insurance and other government benefits . . . deport those who are caught. . . that might do the trick.

@ Davidylan,

Must everyone have an equal measure of suffering to achieve the same result?

Your mindset is at best hitlerian. Pray, how does the legal status granted to one affect the legal status granted to another based on their varying degree of suffering before acquiring such status?

People like you refuse to acknowledge that change is necessary and believe in eye for an eye in all situations.

Some of those illegal immigrants that you are calling for their deportation are solely responsible in ensuring that at least 10 other human lives are sustained elsewhere in Asia, Africa, and Europe etc.

Some of those you gleefully look down on as the scum of the earth are more educated than you, smatter than you and will probably become more successful than you.

So you are legal and probably born in the US, but are you an employer of labour or do you wake up just like most people to go make a living in another man's establishment?

Do you demand wage increases and support minimum wage? If so, what right do you have to do so since you did not suffer as much as the business owner in setting up his business.

Life is give and take. I have seen people like you and I deal with such people all the time. You want to be here and there at the same time. You probably want to have a heart attack just because your neighbour bought a new car. You constantly want to be in a position where you will look down on others. You refuse to offer basic help to people and expect the world from others.

Face is not in the habit of laying into people, but some people do make me sick.

“Great was the man that offered hope, help and shelter to those in need and unknown to him" ----- FACE
"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy" ---- JESUS
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by almondjoy(f): 1:48pm On Oct 16, 2007
@labiyemmy:

A simple answer to your stupid question - I am not hiding - I travel anywhere world wide whenever I wish and with my Nigerian passport - mugun.

Why are you travelling around like a diaspora normad?  Sit in Nigeria now let us see if you will look as healthy as you do now.  I think you said you like farming?  Otta farms LTD or is it PLC is hiring.

@labiyemmy:

All of them are illegal? Even the students too? tongue
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by labiyemmy(m): 3:15pm On Oct 16, 2007
Mumu.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Nobody: 1:22am On Oct 17, 2007
FACE:

@ Davidylan,

Must everyone have an equal measure of suffering to achieve the same result?

There was no suffering to enter the US in the 1970s and 80s. Europeans dont need to visit the US embassy to get a visa - what is the difference? Simply because they are not economic refugees and thus are not seen to become a burden on the US economy. there is only so much the US can take in. Please put urself in others shoes before making noise.

FACE:

Your mindset is at best hitlerian. Pray, how does the legal status granted to one affect the legal status granted to another based on their varying degree of suffering before acquiring such status?

lol how naive. The reason why visas are now very difficult is because of the attitude of those who have used and abused the system. There were no visa queues in 1988, 20 yrs later we have queues as long as the river Niger. Because those who lied earlier that they were only going to spend 2months ended up cheating the system and living there forever. Of course who pays the price? Me and you who will show up at the embassy tomorrow for a visa while the culprits are busy enjoying the fruits of their illegality.

FACE:

People like you refuse to acknowledge that change is necessary and believe in eye for an eye in all situations.

What kind of change is necessary? The right to export everyone to America indiscriminately?

FACE:

Some of those illegal immigrants that you are calling for their deportation are solely responsible in ensuring that at least 10 other human lives are sustained elsewhere in Asia, Africa, and Europe etc.

That is a blatant lie that is trotted out by those who benefit from the status quo. America is fully self sufficient without illegal immigrants.

FACE:

Some of those you gleefully look down on as the scum of the earth are more educated than you, smatter than you and will probably become more successful than you.

I'm not gleefully looking down on anyone . . . this analogy is dumb. Yes some of the illegals are even smarter than me but is that an excuse for breaking the law?

lol FACE is the epitome of hypocrisy. . . the same bible that says "blessed are the merciful . . ." also says "render unto Ceaser the things that are Ceasers . . ." in essence, you have an obligation to obey the laws of the country you aspire to move to. Thanks to people like you who will justify anything, you tend to forget that the end does not always justify the means.

It is not about living in the US but about making sure you are doing so legally.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Nobody: 1:50am On Oct 17, 2007
denex abeg find me a flat in Bini.
I'm coming home grin
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by FACE(m): 8:08pm On Oct 17, 2007
lol how naive. The reason why visas are now very difficult is because of the attitude of those who have used and abused the system. There were no visa queues in 1988, 20 years later we have queues as long as the river Niger. Because those who lied earlier that they were only going to spend 2months ended up cheating the system and living there forever. Of course who pays the price? Me and you who will show up at the embassy tomorrow for a visa while the culprits are busy enjoying the fruits of their illegality.

@ Davidylan,

In summary, you are saying that all those that have overstayed their visa or had no visa in the first place should be kicked out just so that Face and Davidylan could obtain visa without joining long queues. How selfish. There is no price being paid by us as we do not have to live in or visit USA.

There were no queues in 1988 because Nigerians were not in the same situation as they now find themselves.

Which fruit of illegality are you referring to ? Please come off your holier than thou attitude.

You never spiced up your CV ? You never broke speed limit ? You never gave some silly excuses for the times you were late to work or wanted to knock off early. I am still looking for the birds you are trying to tell those cock and bull stories.

I dont know why I am bothering, but the good news is that it's not up to you.

The only way , I can reason with you is if you were born in the USA and not by first generation immigrants.

To each person with his own belief though.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by fakedavid: 8:10pm On Oct 17, 2007
illegal goats - hehehehetettetete
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Seun(m): 8:14pm On Oct 17, 2007
What is selfish about kicking out people who are enjoying something they don't deserve while others are suffering?
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by fakedavid: 8:18pm On Oct 17, 2007
davidylan - we r cooking your head in our pot - watch out.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Nobody: 8:19pm On Oct 17, 2007
[size=14pt]PLS NOTE: Posts credited to .davidylan and davidyland@yahoo.com DO NOT emanate from me. Someone obviously feels intimidated enough to post by using my genuine username. What a sore loser. [/size]
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 17, 2007
FACE:

@ Davidylan,

In summary, you are saying that all those that have overstayed their visa or had no visa in the first place should be kicked out just so that Face and Davidylan could obtain visa without joining long queues. How selfish. There is no price being paid by us as we do not have to live in or visit USA.

Its not being selfish, it is simply obeying the law. There is a reason Africa is where it is today, the complete lack of regard for those things called laws!

FACE:

You never spiced up your CV ? You never broke speed limit ? You never gave some silly excuses for the times you were late to work or wanted to knock off early. I am still looking for the birds you are trying to tell those cock and bull stories.

Should we really be this lax in our attitude? Since when did we start glorifying illegality on the altar of "afterall others do it too"?
Is there anyone still wondering why Nigerians are so rich and yet so poor?

FACE:

The only way , I can reason with you is if you were born in the USA and not by first generation immigrants.

i am an immigrant like you, it took me 2 yrs of hard work to get here by legal means. If you were american you'd say the same thing. If you cant obey the law then stay in ur countries. If the US were as lawless as Nigeria we wont have anywhere to go.

davidyland@yahoo.com:

davidylan - we r cooking your head in our pot - watch out.

lol some people apparently take the internet too seriously.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by fakedavid: 8:30pm On Oct 17, 2007
@Davidylan

illegal immigrant like you making noise - by the time your cooked head lands inside our hot steaming frying pan - u will know that khaki is not the same as leather.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Mamajama(m): 8:32pm On Oct 17, 2007
Why would people migrate to other nation if not in search of education, wealth and security

I recalled in the 70s and 80s USA and other European countries were giving out scholarships to Africans to come and study in their countries.  Most of the recipient left and went back home and put their education and exposure to a good use.

My stand is, as long as the illegal immigrants are not breaking any rules or law of the land.  They should be given a work permit.  They are paying taxes and contributing to the development of the nation.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Nobody: 8:32pm On Oct 17, 2007
davidyland@yahoo.com:

@Davidylan

illegal immigrant like you making noise - by the time your cooked head lands inside our hot steaming frying pan - u will know that khaki is not the same as leather.

Stop talking and do what you will.  grin Didnt they tell you faceless internet goons dont faze me? you had to hide behind a fake username to make threats? what about you being bold enough to let us know who you really are? At least i dont hide behind my finger like u do.

Abeg comot for my road! You better learn the lessons from Aminu Sarafa!
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Nobody: 8:33pm On Oct 17, 2007
Mamajama:

My stand is, as long as the illegal immigrants are not breaking any rules or law of the land. They should be given a work permit. They are paying taxes and contributing to the development of the nation.

Do you need a dictionary to understand the meaning of the term "illegal"?
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Mamajama(m): 8:34pm On Oct 17, 2007
@davidyland@yahoo FAKE stop exposing your ignorance.  you've only had 12 post and yet you talking as if you know anything about immigration.

Have you ever been to the tarmac before?  please leave us alone.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Arnold1(m): 8:35pm On Oct 17, 2007
@davidyland@yahoo.com,

Why are you shielding your identity  undecided

You are such a coward

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria / I’m Afraid Saraki May Impeach Me – Buhari / Why Muslims Share Equal Responsibilty For Terror Attacks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.