Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,087 members, 7,821,756 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:56 PM

Black Or White, You're The Same When It Comes To You Marrying My Nigerian Men! - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Black Or White, You're The Same When It Comes To You Marrying My Nigerian Men! (1150 Views)

The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding / She Is Not Marrying My Friend Because He Is Igbo / Marrying My Age Mate. Right/wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Or White, You're The Same When It Comes To You Marrying My Nigerian Men! by dtanigwe(f): 3:18am On Jan 26, 2012
My friend, who is a black American, recently married a Nigerian man, and confided in me that she received a lot of backlash from Nigerian women (via facebook) for doing so. She told me how she was receiving messages from women asking her why couldn't she find a man her own race, how jealous they were of her for taking a good Nigerian man, and how she's not good enough for a Nigerian man. The harrassment became so much that she had to deactivate her account.

I observed that the kind of backlash she received is very similar, equal, in fact, to the attitude many black American women have about black men marrying white women, or latinas, or asians. So I want to know, is this a general opinion among Nigerian woman toward even black Americans who marry Nigerian men? Or was my friend's experience and isolated event from a select group of jealous women?

Let me also say that I, too, am a black American married to a Nigerian man, and I have not experienced any backlash (that I'm aware of). My experience seems to be that I have been welcomed with open arms into the Igbo/Nigerian society. My friend's husband is also the relative of a very prominent figure in the local Nigerian community here, and my husband is practically unknown. So I don't know if that's a factor, too.
Re: Black Or White, You're The Same When It Comes To You Marrying My Nigerian Men! by Nobody: 3:44am On Jan 26, 2012
Insecure women and men will make an a$$ out of themselves. Ignore them. As long as you are not setting out to "make nigerian women jealous" or are with the guy for reasons other than love it shouldnt matter what they think (I say the same for interracial dating). Its your life and if its about L.O.V.E then "do you!"

1 Like

Re: Black Or White, You're The Same When It Comes To You Marrying My Nigerian Men! by Jenifa1: 3:48am On Jan 26, 2012
your friend is lying through her teeth

most nigerian women will actually embrace you warmly and try hard to make you nigerianized!  tongue at least that's what I will do. I will only dislike you if you want to keep forming oyinbo or AA.
maybe she has a bad attitude.

dtanigwe:

Let me also say that I, too, am a black American married to a Nigerian man, and I have not experienced any backlash (that I'm aware of). My experience seems to be that I have been welcomed with open arms into the Igbo/Nigerian society. My friend's husband is also the relative of a very prominent figure in the local Nigerian community here, and my husband is practically unknown. So I don't know if that's a factor, too.

yea I can tell just from looking at ur profile pic. you're pretty

and yes if he is a prominent figure in the Nigerian community, I can see where the backlash is coming from. maybe's he's not being a good role model for the community he's supposed to be leading.
but you say he is the brother of the figure so I don't see why there should be any concern about him.
Re: Black Or White, You're The Same When It Comes To You Marrying My Nigerian Men! by Tosinville(m): 3:57am On Jan 26, 2012
What makes Nigerian women different from Black american women, are they not the same race? or they just hating jus because they're slaves child or something?
Re: Black Or White, You're The Same When It Comes To You Marrying My Nigerian Men! by Jenifa1: 4:03am On Jan 26, 2012
Tosinville:

What makes Nigerian women different from Black american women, are they not the same race? or they just hating jus because they're slaves child or something?

different cultures my dear. color and race means nothing.
just like a igbo will become a foreigner in the midst of hausas despite having the same race.
Re: Black Or White, You're The Same When It Comes To You Marrying My Nigerian Men! by Tosinville(m): 4:10am On Jan 26, 2012
aight jenifa, if its about culture then i understand now but i don't really believe that her friend, Nigerian women don't hate over their men dating/married some other race or AA, things like that can only occur if you snatch their bfz
Re: Black Or White, You're The Same When It Comes To You Marrying My Nigerian Men! by dtanigwe(f): 4:15am On Jan 26, 2012
Well, not to say she is a bad person, she's not, I can admit her attitude can be a little harsh, to say it nicely, but there shouldn't be any way women all the way in Nigeria should be hating on her because of it here in the states unless somebody who knows her is taking info back home to them. What she gets locally I can kinda understand.
Re: Black Or White, You're The Same When It Comes To You Marrying My Nigerian Men! by dtanigwe(f): 4:17am On Jan 26, 2012
lol. I think she actually told me one of the women used to date her hubby! So that's probably it!
Re: Black Or White, You're The Same When It Comes To You Marrying My Nigerian Men! by Tosinville(m): 5:02am On Jan 26, 2012
^^Yeah! i also think so, Nigerian women don't just hate because they see their men dating another, naw! i don't just believe that or else the Nigerian girl & ur friend were both dating that Nigerian guy simultaneously.
Re: Black Or White, You're The Same When It Comes To You Marrying My Nigerian Men! by MrsChima1(f): 5:17am On Jan 26, 2012
She need to change her circle of women she deals with because the Nigerian women I know personally doesn't act like that.

Few of them aren't even married to Nigerian men. I don't think many of them could care less, but then again who knows.

Just do you.

(1) (Reply)

How Come "Bad Guys" Always Get The Best Girls? / Ladies And Gentlemen : Which Will You Choose? / Dangerous Reasons To Get Married...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.