Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,973 members, 7,821,408 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu (8053 Views)

NBC Director-general, Emeka Mba, Arrested / Emeka Ojukwu Visits Nnewi Fire Tragedy Scene Today / Dear Oby, A People Have The Right To Choose Their Hero (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by utimayor(m): 11:16pm On Jan 31, 2012
SOURCE: http://newsafric.com/2012/01/31/igbo-communities-in-atlanta-pay-tribute-to-their-hero-general-emeka-ojukwu/

The Ojukwu Memorial celebrations, in Atlanta GA, Jan 28th 2012, is a
remarkable story of the coming together of the entire Igbo Communities in
Georgia and beyond to pay tribute to an illustrious Igbo son, a courageous young
man who was in his early thirties at the start of the Biafra war, but in his wisdom
atfirst did everything possible to avoid war by negotiating with Nigerian authorities
in Aburi Ghana to harsh out acceptable and fair system of governance for all
citizens and regions of Nigeria following the 1966, and 1967-70 genocide against
Ndigbo. After an agreement was reached, the Nigerian side failed to live up to the
agreement which they signed in Aburi Ghana. The emergence of the Republic of
Biafra in May 1967 was simply inevitable as the Biafrans killed in large numbers in
many parts of Nigeria sought to pursue independence from a country where their
safety could not be guaranteed by the central federal government.
The passing of General Ojukwu the former Biafran head of state brought back in
magnified fashion, memories of the struggle for Biafran Independence. As Igbos
and other Nigerians gather at the Igbo Community Building in Mableton Georgia,
one thing became certain that the Ojukwu Memorial activities would exert an
extraordinary uniting force on all the Igbo Communities in Georgia. The Ikemba
and Eze Igbo Gburugburu was indeed a uniting force for Ndigbo while he was alive, unfolding events since his death
have also illustrated that Ikemba’s name would continue to exert gravitational uniting force on Ndigbo even after his
death. For the Igbos in Georgia, Jan 28th 2012, would go down in history as the day in which all our people rallied in
brotherhood and sisterhood to give honor to one whom honor is due. This story would be told in two parts. Part one
would comprise of the preparations of the Ojukwu Memorial and cover the highly educative and informative
Symposium and the Requiem Mass. Part two would cover the Wake Ceremonies including the emotional final salute
to General Ojukwu by over 80 veteran members of the Biafran Army and Nurses who were treated as VIPs with
reserved section. The Biafran Army and Nurses drew large and sustained applause and standing ovation by the largest
capacity crowd to be assembled yet in Igbo Community Building. But this story is for part two of this report. The
success of the Ojukwu Memorial event in Atlanta is one more evidence and testimony that given the leadership, any
group of people can come together and unite for a given cause. The Igbo Union Leadership in Atlanta under President
Victor Anyanwu and Vice president Ada Ngoddy, Ojukwu Memorial PRO, Michael Odiakosa and the other Executives
of Igbo Union Atlanta rallied and brought together all the Igbo Communities in Atlanta Georgia to join hands and
work to give our departed son and father Ikemba a hero’s farewell.
On Friday morning, the day before the event I went to the Igbo Community Building to deliver some items and Sir
Victor Anyanwu, Mrs Nk Oranika (AKA Holiwood) a representative for Otu Umunne Association and Mazi Charles
Okabalam were already there as preparations for the day was already in progress. Sir Victor Anyanwu was obviously
directing the preparation activities, and later in the day Michael Odiakosa the Ojukwu Memorial PRO also
arrived to give a lending hand. The Stage was being constructed in line with suggestions from Videographer Obi
Okezie, while Charles Okabalam was busy moving and arranging things. Mexican Amigo friends were busy repainting
the inside of the hall with immaculate white paint as part of the Igbo Union tribute in honor of Ikemba.
On Saturday morning preparations again began in earnest. Mrs. Oranika arrived at the hall at 6am, and worked
for about 6 hours in the Building alone until about noon when she was joined by Attorney C.T Nwosu along
with two other volunteers. By mid afternoon all preparations were winding down. When I arrived at the hall
at about 3 pm I found an incredible finished and beautifully decorated stage thanks to Nk. Oranika, the stage was
adorably draped in coordinated Biafran colors of black, red and green, inside the elevated stage were two
beautifully enlarged and decorated photos of Ikemba Ojukwu in full Biafran Army General’s regalia taking a salute.

The photos were provided by the Umu Ada Igbo Organization
Atlanta Georgia. On the right side of the stage were two flags, the American flag, and the Nigerian flag laid out side by side. On the
left side of the stage were more photos of Ojukwu and a huge Biafran flag which was sewn together the previous night by Mrs
Oranika with help from Paul Oranika Jr who designed the Biafra sun inserted into the Biafra flag. The music stage and all the
electronic equipment were all assembled on the opposite side of
the stage. At the kitchen area, Vice President of Igbo Union Atlanta
Mrs Ada Ngoddy was in control of volunteers who were ready to
serve, including Ms Chioma Ogueri Executive Director Miss Igbo
USA, Mrs. Grace Clark, Mrs. Rita Udechukwu, Mrs Rita Orji, Mrs
Ugo Anikpe, Mrs Dorathy Orizu, and Okabalam children. These
army of volunteers served everybody at the Ojukwu Symposium which commenced at about4.15 Pm. The Chairman
of the Planning Committee, Nze Joe Eto, the Co Chair of the planning committee Attorney Charles Onyirimba, the
Chairmanof the Symposium Committee Prof. Martin Okafor, and other committee members including Attorney Mike
Okeke and Mazi Paul Okechukwu Oranika were all ready. Chairman Joe Eto called things to order with a brief remark
and then handed over to Prof. Martin Okafor and Attorney Charles Onyirimba who were the moderators for the event,
the Panelists were introduced to their positions.

Soon the presentation took center stage. Here are the abstracts of what topics and titles were
presented at the Symposium; the full papers would be published at a later date. The first
panelist Dr. Mike Okeke was called up to make his presentation entitled “Ojukwu the Man”. His
presentation focused on personalaspects of Ojukwu’s life. Dr. Okeke narrated in great detail Gen
Ojukwu’s genealogy,his education, career in civil service and his entry into the Nigerian Army, and
emergence as the champion of Igbo cause.

Next Panelist Reverend Chima Ekeke PHD, presented a paper titled “Moses, Ojukwu and the
Quest for a Joshua “in which the author narrated the life, leadership and legacy of General Ojukwu
from a religious perspective.

Dr. Obiagbosogu Ignatius Ebbe was called up for his presentation entitled “General Odumegwu
Ojukwu, Footprints on the Sands of Times on Nigerian Politics and Igbo Political Culture”. The
author went on to describe the human nature of General Ojukwu through his Biafran experiences,
and discussed Ojukwu’s achievements and failures along with his great sacrifices to the Igbo
nation.

Innocent Ukabam PHD was called up to render his presentation entitled “Stand for something
or Fall for Anything”. The author among many things, discussed the fact that Ojukwu stood for
Equality and Justice, and as a Biafran leader was a very courageous leader regardless of all the odds,
and that the people of Biafrabelieved in him, even in death the author maintains that Ojukwu still
evokes unparalleled passion, love, loyalty and controversy

Dame Unuaku Ekwegbalu Esq, delivered an interesting account of the war, titled “Triumph over
Adversity” Mrs Ekwegbalu spoke about the declaration of war against Biafra by the former
Nigerian head of state Yakubu Gowan’s administration on July 6th,1967, and talked about the
Biafran’s determination to survive despite all odds. She narrated from her perspective working for
Radio Biafra alongside the late Okoko Ndem to air Biafran views as news announcers through a bus
converted by Biafrans to a mobile broadcasting station.

Nze Joe Eto, took the podium next to make his presentation entitled “Lessons Learned in
the Nigerian-Biafran War” the author discussed many issues from an interesting story telling
perspective, including the survival instincts of Biafrans who were faced by a ruthless enemy ready
to annihilate them with the help of world powers interested in material resources.

Mazi Chris Aniedobe, one of the chosen Panelists did not make it to Atlanta due to schedule
conflict, but he sent in a speech and Prof. Martin Okafor read some excerpts of Chris’ presentation
on his behalf. His full speech would be published at a later date when he grants us the permission
to do so.

The keynote speech by Prof. Obi Nwakanma who came in from Orlando Florida to attend the
Ojukwu Symposium and Memorial activities took the center stage. Dr. Nwakanma’s topic
titled “Ojukwu, the Igbo and an Unfinished Business”, examined a critical question which
continues to linger on our minds-the question of the “Igbo situation in the post war years in Nigeria”
Nwakanma also discussed the significance of Ojukwu’s work since Ikemba’s return from exile in
Ivory Coast within the context of nation-building. Nwakanma in his presentation and inhumanizing
Ikemba surprised many of the symposium attendees when he mentioned the fact that during the
war, the Biafran Research and Production (RAP) came up with what would have been equivalent to a
chemical weapon, but Ojukwu did not authorize the production and usage of that weapon. Full text
of Obi Nwakanma’s presentation along with other papers would be published later.

The Symposium soon wrapped up, making way for the Interdenominational Requiem Mass which started
shortly after 8 p.m.
The following Pastors and Reverend Fathers officiated as Celebrants for the Services.
Rev. Charles Tashie – Rector, St.Faith Anglican Church, Riverdale
Rev. Dr. Chima K. Ekeke – Rector,All Saints Anglican Church, Atlanta
Rev. Canon Celestine Ironna -Rector, Christ Anglican Church, Marietta
Ven. Dr. Ugo Okoroafor – Sr.Pastor, Church of Resurrection, St. Mountain
Rev. Idowu Adewakun – Pastor,Holy Trinity Anglican, Powder Springs
Rev. Paul Nzeagwu – Pastor,Praise Tabernacle, Norcross
Dr. Paul Onovoh, – Priest , Holy Sabbath Church, Atlanta
Rev. O. J. Brown

As soon as dismissal was ordered by Rev. Charles Tashie, the way was cleared for the mother of all parties, at this point
the crowd had swollen to over 1,000 people as more folks continued to troop into the Igbo Community Building from all
directions. Several Cobb county policemen were in control of traffic, and arriving guests were being directed to all
available parking in the vicinity of Igbo Community building including CVS Pharmacy and adjacent mall parking about
300 feet away. The concluding report would be published tomorrow; you dare not miss that report which is the main
story and climax for the Ojukwu Memorial Celebrations. A comprehensive list of the names of all participants and
volunteers who helped to make this event a success would be published following the Report II. What a tribute and
outpouring of Love to General Ojukwu!!!

Signed:
Sir Victor Anyanwu
President Igbo Union Atlanta
Signed:
Nze Joe Eto
Chairman Ojukwu Memorial PlanningCommittee
MichaelOdiakosa
PRO Ojukwu Memorial Planning Committee
Paul Okechukwu Oranika
Member Ojukwu Memorial Planning Committee

SOURCE: http://newsafric.com/2012/01/31/igbo-communities-in-atlanta-pay-tribute-to-their-hero-general-emeka-ojukwu/

Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by BlackPikiN(m): 11:38pm On Jan 31, 2012
Good job Umu Igbo!
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by Ojiofor: 11:44pm On Jan 31, 2012
Good one.nothing can be too much for the General.
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by utimayor(m): 12:57am On Feb 01, 2012
yes my brothers, we will keep it coming.
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by OgidiBoy(m): 2:24am On Feb 01, 2012
I wonder when Texas "Dallas" would have our own memorial service. If anyone knows please share with the rest of us because I will not miss it for

the world.

RIP EZE IGBO!!!
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by stayreal: 2:33am On Feb 01, 2012
OgidiBoy:

I wonder when Texas "Dallas" would have our own memorial service. If anyone knows please share with the rest of us because I will not miss it for

the world.

RIP EZE IGBO!!!

I know that there are many Easterners in Texas. I am in Houston right now. We must celebrate this great man! I am sure that we will get information soon.
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by Diligence: 9:22am On Feb 01, 2012
Adieu Ikemba and the people's general,
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by Jenticles(f): 9:32am On Feb 01, 2012
Awesome I luv the concept, nice 1, Igbo kwenu
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by Okijajuju1(m): 9:57am On Feb 01, 2012
undecided - And then what?!
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by ekwynwa: 10:09am On Feb 01, 2012
IGBO KWENU! Proud Ada IGBO till i Die.
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by ekwynwa: 10:13am On Feb 01, 2012
Okija_juju:

undecided - And then what?!

make edey pain u wella wella
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by Okijajuju1(m): 10:20am On Feb 01, 2012
Ekwy ogini?!

Was my question wrong?! Abi what indicated pain in it?! undecided
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by OneNaira6: 11:00am On Feb 01, 2012
Okija_juju:

Ekwy ogini?!

Was my question wrong?! Abi what indicated pain in it?!  undecided

I don't know why people pretend to be something they are not on this forum.  undecided
It is Ekwu gini.
with the o there, though you got the right angle but the way you word it makes no sense; rather than it saying "what do you say?", what you wrote translate as "what did you? what is it?"
If you are going to use ogini, then it is best worded as "ogini ka ekwu" that translates to "what did you say?"
The y shouldn't be there.
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by OneNaira6: 11:04am On Feb 01, 2012
OgidiBoy:

the world.

RIP EZE IGBO!!!

This is a nice way to send him off. Almost every Igbo communities inside and outside of Nigeria are doing a memorial service for him.

R.I.P Ikemba.
We'll never forget you
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by seedord247(m): 11:07am On Feb 01, 2012
Celebrating what? = Clown Coward. grin
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by executinal(m): 11:09am On Feb 01, 2012
eze igbo gburugburu
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by ekwynwa: 11:11am On Feb 01, 2012
Okija_juju:

Ekwy ogini?!

Was my question wrong?! Abi what indicated pain in it?!  undecided

your question no fit your sweet name, Ikemba na our own
udo diri gi
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by ekwynwa: 11:13am On Feb 01, 2012
seedord247:

Celebrating what? = Clown Coward. grin

Celebrating a great HERO,
Clown stalker
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by seedord247(m): 11:16am On Feb 01, 2012
ekwy nwa:

Celebrating a great HERO,
Clown stalker

what did he achieve?

sending your MUMU families to war while running to benin republic to get a wife. grin grin
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by ismhab(m): 11:25am On Feb 01, 2012
When did he become General and hero, the man is villian, he supposed to had die since 1967.
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by OneNaira6: 11:34am On Feb 01, 2012
Na wa o!!!
The title say Igbo celebrate Ojukwu, our hero. I do not think it is of any concern or worries for other Nigerian groups
This is getting weird. ojukwu is dead, let go of the fear, let go of the obsession; una stop having high-blood pressure over this man, It will kill una.
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by Okijajuju1(m): 11:59am On Feb 01, 2012
One_Naira:

I don't know why people pretend to be something they are not on this forum.  undecided
It is Ekwu gini.
with the o there, though you got the right angle but the way you word it makes no sense; rather than it saying "what do you say?", what you wrote translate as "what did you? what is it?"
If you are going to use ogini, then it is best worded as "ogini ka ekwu" that translates to "what did you say?"
The y shouldn't be there.

Erm Mr or is it Mrs One Naira, Thanks for the Igbo lessons but I'm sure of what I wrote.

As against "Ikwu gini" which means "you said?!", I meant "Ekwy ogini" which in this case means "Ekwy" (which is the username of the person I quoted in that post) and "Ogini" (which translates in English as "Whats the problem"wink.

I appreciate your corrections, but I'm sure it was borne out of your misunderstanding my initial post. I guess I should have punctuated the "Ekwy" with a comma before the ogini.

I hope this explains it.  wink

Udo diri ghi.

Alusi OkijaTM

ekwy nwa:

your question no fit your sweet name, Ikemba na our own
udo diri gi

I'm sure you love him so much as do many other Nwafors, but the question I asked remains;

"After the festivities, after the charade, after he is buried, Then what?!"

Udo dili gi na ndi be' gi.

Alusi OkijaTM
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by ekwynwa: 12:02pm On Feb 01, 2012
seedord247:

what did he achieve?

sending your MUMU families to war while running to benin republic to get a wife. grin grin

u dont need to tell me about your mumu family tree
We Love Ikemba Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Much
make the thing dey pepper u wella wella grin
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by ekwynwa: 12:08pm On Feb 01, 2012
I'm sure you love him so much as do many other Nwafors, but the question I asked remains;

"[b]After the festivitie[/b]s, after the charade, after he is buried, Then what?!"

Udo dili gi na ndi be' gi.

Alusi OkijaTM
[quote][/quote]

festivities yes, charade mba
after his burial his name ve bn carved in GOLD lives onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Ikemba we LOVE u
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by ekwynwa: 12:11pm On Feb 01, 2012
ismhab:

When did he become[b] General and hero[/b], the man is villian, he supposed to had die since 1967.

Always bn a General and Super Hero
IKEMBA we Love uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu cool
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by otondo55: 12:16pm On Feb 01, 2012
The Great Igbo Pride !
Rest well in the bosom of our God,
You offered to stand in the gap between Eastern Nigeria and a certain annihilation/colonization.
You stopped the annihilation.
We will never forget!
You stood up when cowards stood down.
You spoke up when cowards ran away.
You mortgaged everything just to see us free.
You were hunted 24/7 for 3 years by a combined forces of evil.
You created something new in Africa -a spirit of self belief.
You battled enemies in front, and even more enemies behind; survived to a ripe old age.
You were dangerous to the enemies of Eastern Nigeria in life.
You are even more dangerous to them in death!
God promised threescore and ten years (70 years) to those he loves.
He added 8 years to you to show you how he loves you.

ADIEU EZEIGBOGBURUGBURU ! REST IN THE BOSSOM OF THE LORD.

Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by kizito96(m): 12:47pm On Feb 01, 2012
Good Move
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by presido1: 12:58pm On Feb 01, 2012
When is this kinda thing happen in London?

Farewell Dim Chukwuemeka Ojukwu.
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by odumchi: 1:01pm On Feb 01, 2012
seedord247:

what did he achieve?

That was really uncalled for. And also, why do you keep following Biafra news like a fly on an a cow? If Ojukwu is insignificant, why do you continue to spend a large portion of your browsing time following threads about him? You know, you dont have to be here. If he achieved nothing, then just ignore him and let us do as we pleqse. I'm very serious now just buzz off. The man is dead, where i come from we leave people alone after they have died. Give him some peace.

I hope everyone does not take this joker seriously. Please don't bother replying to him he is just trying to start trouble.
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by Mkpotu(m): 1:17pm On Feb 01, 2012
Ikemba, may u rest in the bossom of the Most High God.

Adieu, Nwoke ike, kara aka!!!
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by hbrednic: 1:41pm On Feb 01, 2012
there was missa/ tribute by the igbo community in genova italy yerstaday in honour of the DIM.
THE GREAT WARRIOR FROM THE LAND OF THE RISING SUN.IKEMBA 1 OF ARICA
MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE.
Re: Igbo Communities In Atlanta Pay Tribute To Their Hero-general Emeka Ojukwu by ak47mann(m): 1:41pm On Feb 01, 2012
cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Military Air Defense Systems / US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings / What If We Bring Back The Whites To Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.