Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,875 members, 7,813,980 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:14 PM

Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja (6968 Views)

Clean Tokunbo 2001 Honda Civic 4 Cylinders/automatic Transmission: Price: N750k / Jaguar Spare Parts And Mechanic Needed / Good Honda Mechanic Needed For My Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 9:52pm On Feb 05, 2012
i have been trying to diagnose the fault.I have scanned the car like four times to clear the error.We have tried removing the battery,i have changed the sensor,i have chked all the break sensor for the four wheels yet they are all working fine.I was told with time it will reset itself.Honestly i have tried working on them i guess the guys scanning it could not really detect the fault
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 9:57pm On Feb 05, 2012
i have been trying to diagnose the fault.I have scanned the car like four times to clear the error.We have tried removing the battery,i have changed the sensor,i have chked all the break sensor for the four wheels yet they are all working fine.I was told with time it will reset itself.Honestly i have tried working on them i guess the guys scanning it could not really detect the fault. I was even told that some of those cars like honda etc also have their chk lights on but that it was not a problem.It was in trying to find a lasting soln i bumped into nairaland today.
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 10:13pm On Feb 05, 2012
bjims:

i have been trying to diagnose the fault.I have scanned the car like four times to clear the error.We have tried removing the battery,i have changed the sensor,i have chked all the break sensor for the four wheels yet they are all working fine.I was told with time it will reset itself.Honestly i have tried working on them i guess the guys scanning it could not really detect the fault

Before you cleared the fault codes, did you write them down? These codes appear for a reason, clearing them doesn't fix an obvious fault. If you get it scanned once more, please post the codes here, so I can work out the best way to render help.

You say you checked all the ABS wheel speed sensors, and they're all working fine. How did you come to this conclusion? The only way you can get any readings from them, is with live data (if your scanner supports live data function). This involves driving the car, and seeing what readings you get. They will either read speed in mph, km/h or generate voltage, depending on what your scanner supports.
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 10:16pm On Feb 05, 2012
no matter hw hard we try to reset the codes,they keep coming back.I would get it re-scanned tomorrow and post themThanks
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 10:18pm On Feb 05, 2012
bjims:

I was even told that some of those cars like honda etc also have their chk lights on but that it was not a problem.

Those monkeys masquerading as mechanics have no business working on an automobile, if this is their take on an illuminated Check Engine Light. I despair of these phony Nigerian mechanics, I really do.

I'm sure there are Volkswagen dealerships in Lagos, it looks like that's your only hope of getting your car straightened out. I would help, if I was local to you.
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 10:22pm On Feb 05, 2012
bjims:

no matter hw hard we try to reset the codes,they keep coming back.I would get it re-scanned tomorrow and post themThanks

They keep coming back, because there's a fault. Clearing codes does not fix a problem, it tells you what to fix.

Something's just occured to me - could you check what size tyres your car has? And I mean check properly, front and rear. The wheels are 16" from the picture you posted, but I need the full size as on the tyres. They should be 205/55x16 front and rear, but your car may have different sizes.
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 10:42pm On Feb 05, 2012
lol, out of desperation have been considering attending School of Automotive Machinists in u.s even b4 i got the vw.But its a bit expensive but it is still on my mind.Its not as if the mechanics are not good the only problem is their lack of education.I had a water pump issue at a time and they were able to change it and fix another one and the water leakage stopped.Some one on the auto post has offered to come and scan it for me.He actually referenced you at a post some time back I am sure i have the best help i can get with u and him thanks once again. the wheels are 205/55 r16 front and rear
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 11:15pm On Feb 05, 2012
^^^ So I would say your wheels are okay, same size front and rear, very important on vehicles with permanent AWD.

Can you remember what the code definition was, when you had your ABS scanned? And does your car have ESP? Have you had any CV joint rubber boots replaced recently, or even a complete joint itself?

When did the ABS warning first come on?
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 11:33pm On Feb 05, 2012
the code definition was about the O2 sensor i think P13xx and P13xy.They were both 0xygen related issues,I have never had the ABS scanned if you mean there is a separate port for ABS.I have only scanned from a port directly under the steering wheel.I have never noticed any esp light at ant time and the ABS warning has been on for a while now.
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 10:28am On Feb 06, 2012
^^^There's just one OBD-II port for all your vehicle's systems.

You need to get your ABS scanned, it's bad practice to ignore warning lights when they come on. They're there for a reason - to indicate a fault, not to make your instrument cluster look pretty. If your car has ESP, it will be inoperative if there's an ABS fault, both are tied together.
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 10:34am On Feb 06, 2012
just called the scanner guy and he his in his way,but i would like to know if the gear system can be accessed or removed from under the car rather than by removing the whole engine.I would not like to spoil the engine just to fix the gear system
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 11:03am On Feb 06, 2012
^^^ The transmission can be removed from under the car, leaving the engine in situ. Not sure what you mean by spoil the engine though - it's actually easier, and quicker to pull both engine and trans as a complete unit, and seperate both on the bench. Access to the upper bellhousing bolts is poor with the V6 engine sitting in the engine bay, and both catalysts have to be remove to allow the transmission to drop. Access to the three 13mm nuts on each side on the exhaust manifolds is bad too. I'd be inclined to pull both. That's the way I do things anyway.
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 11:25am On Feb 06, 2012
thanks for the advice.i was just worried that the mech in pulling out the engine to get to the gearbox may end up destroying parts in the engine.These same mechanics made me change the fuel pump whereas the problem was with a bad coil.After the bad coil labelled two was changed with another one the car worked perfectly.I was just bothered about their skills and unfortunately you are miles away.I wont mind spending if i knew it was on someone like you.
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 1:10pm On Feb 07, 2012
^^^ Have you managed to pull those transmission error codes yet?
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 7:06pm On Feb 07, 2012
wud have sent a mail earlier but none of the guys showed up till this morning.I actually went through where i might have written it down and just discovered it now. it was p1120 and p1121
P1120Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit, Bank 2 Sensor 1 Open
P1121 Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit, Bank 2 Sensor 2 Short To Ground.This was what i discovered two weeks when i first scan.I replaced the two front sensors in the front of the engine but the errors still persist. i am suspecting fake sensors were bought for me.

Also the guy who came this morn was from chris from QIS,a guy named tunde.He came with a transmission scanner and told me it was complaining abt the fibre but that it could also be as a result of no oil being in the gear box,that as soon as we get oil inside he will do a scan.He actually tried the manual i.e he put it on drive 2 and it moved .he then said for the manual to move then the fault was not too bad.He actually wanted to take it for repairs this morn but i insisted i must get ur own opinion first.

thanks, I also went under the car myself for a further probe into the leakage and i was able to pull out some amazing pictures, lol

Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 7:08pm On Feb 07, 2012
more pics cool

Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 7:09pm On Feb 07, 2012
i actually became a mech

Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 7:10pm On Feb 07, 2012

Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 7:11pm On Feb 07, 2012

Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 7:18pm On Feb 07, 2012
bjims:

wud have sent a mail earlier but none of the guys showed up till this morning.I actually went through where i might have written it down and just discovered it now. it was p1120 and p1121
P1120Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit, Bank 2 Sensor 1 Open
P1121 Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit, Bank 2 Sensor 2 Short To Ground.This was what i discovered two weeks when i first scan.I replaced the two front sensors in the front of the engine but the errors still persist. i am suspecting fake sensors were bought for me.

Bro, none of these codes are relevant to your transmission issues, this is all about fuelling, so engine related.

bjims:

Also the guy who came this morn was from chris from QIS,a guy named tunde.He came with a transmission scanner and told me it was complaining abt the fibre but that it could also be as a result of no oil being in the gear box,that as soon as we get oil inside he will do a scan.He actually tried the manual i.e he put it on drive 2 and it moved .he then said for the manual to move then the fault was not too bad.He actually wanted to take it for repairs this morn but i insisted i must get ur own opinion first.

A scan would read the same, regardless of there being ATF in the transmission or not, there are no electronic level senders to display any data on an OBD scanner. All the OBD scan can pick up is oil temperature and control pressure. This will be with live data, and the engine idling.

Get him to scan the transmission, and give you the codes, as they appear on the screen.
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 7:26pm On Feb 07, 2012
The colour of the fluid leaking, as shown in your pictures would suggest gear oil, not ATF. This is in the differential, not the transmission side of things. Most common source of gearbox oil leaks:

a) Rear output shaft seal (propshaft).
b) Driver's side output shaft seal (driveshaft).
c) Passenger's side output shaft seal (driveshaft).

None of the above require transmission being pulled. Which now leads me to a dilemma - what fluid did your mechanic put into your car, and which filler did he use? Because the ATF requires a pump, a tube with a "J" shaped metal spout to get the fluid in. The gear oil goes into the filler on the passenger's side of the differential (slightly behind the wheel on that side).

I've got the feeling your mechanic put ATF into your differential.
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 7:33pm On Feb 07, 2012
u just sent my heart racing, he actually put the oil under the drivers side on the left just a bit a way from the left front wheel.he poured in the oil using an improvised container like a tube with a small hose attached to it.he poured oil into it holding it high while the oil slowly poured into it, i hope my car has not been wrecked angry
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 7:39pm On Feb 07, 2012
pls what is the diffrence btw diffrential and gear oil and where are they located.When the guy poured the oil inside all the oil poured out after driving about 2kms
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 7:42pm On Feb 07, 2012
i took the car to a company,danny motors a guy who broke out from honda place so i was told and they said it was the gear oil leaking,does that mean they dont have any idea of what to do?
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 8:13pm On Feb 07, 2012
bjims:

pls what is the diffrence btw diffrential and gear oil and where are they located.When the guy poured the oil inside all the oil poured out after driving about 2kms

Differential and gear oil are the same. The filler bung is located on the differential housing, slightly behind the passenger's side wheel.
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 8:41pm On Feb 07, 2012
but mine was poured in under the drivers seat a bit away from the front left wheel.Do u still advice me to go with the guy who wants to bring out the transmission?and assuming i even want to buy a new gearbox,is it something u can get for me and how much is it likely to cost?thanks
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 8:59pm On Feb 07, 2012
also as per the codes,hw do i go abt fixing that?I wish i could show some appreciation for your time to tackle my questons,its really appreciated.I work with the National Space Research and Devp agency in abuja,who knows i cud be of help someday,probably space related.who knows u may be fixing space shuttle engines soon smiley
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 10:41am On Feb 09, 2012
^^^ For starters, you need to pull transmission fault codes, without those, it's impossible to pin point any issues. Get it scanned, and post the codes here. Don't get fobbed off by your mechanic - tell him you want to see the codes, you don't want them cleared.
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 8:44am On Feb 10, 2012
good morn,a guy came in this morn to scan the engine and it gave the following codes
p0135
p1122
p1140

he cleared the errors and all except the P1122 error was erased.I actually changed two sensors earlier but had not scanned it after it was replaced.
am yet to get someone who can scan transmission in abuja.as sson as i have done that i will send u the error codes
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 10:34am On Feb 10, 2012
^^^ P1122 is an O2 sensor code, post catalyst.

I have no idea why you allow codes to be cleared on your car. CEL comes on for a reason - there are faults. Clearing them does not fix the problems!

As for scanning the transmission, there isn't a separate OBED diagnostic tool that reads transmission, and nothing else. Your mechanic is using a cheap, generic OBD diagnostic tool, with limited capabilities. Either you invest in a decent tool, or get one of the bigger companies to scan your tranny. It'll cost you, but you've got to break eggs to make an omelette.

If you're not willing to spend good money to get your car sorted, you might as well cut your losses, blow her out for spares and move on. I can't suggest anything more than I've done so far.

Good luck.
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 5:38pm On Feb 10, 2012
I am more than willing to spend on it.The two errors i cleared was as a result of changing two of the sensors.Two of the codes used to show b4 i changed the sensor but immediately i bought two new sensors and called the guy to re-scan he was able to clear the two error code except for a single new one that came up.as per the scanner i have called on two diff guys in abuja to scan it for me, that was why i had to make a new post this morn as regards anyone knowing where i can get a good scanner in Abuja.If you chk the post you will see it.I have taken the car to two companies i.e honda place at central area and danny b motors along games village road.They drove the car into their garage that was danny b, drove it out and told me they only replace transmission systems.I expected the to have scanned it, I am wiling to spend good money on the car as long as it works the way its supposed to do, If i have been meeting guys with generic scanners its probably becos that is what is available in abuja, at least the ones i have met so far.One of them was actually refered to me by one of the commentors on this forum.where else will i get authentic info if not nairaland but i will still be on the lookout for one either to buy or to scan.

thanks and dnt give up on my car,
Re: Automatic Transmission Mechanic Needed In Abuja by Nobody: 5:42pm On Feb 10, 2012
I am more than willing to spend on it.The two errors i cleared was as a result of changing two of the sensors.Two of the codes used to show b4 i changed the sensor but immediately i bought two new sensors and called the guy to re-scan he was able to clear the two error code except for a single new one that came up.as per the scanner i have called on two diff guys in abuja to scan it for me, that was why i had to make a new post this morn as regards anyone knowing where i can get a good scanner in Abuja.If you chk the post you will see it.I have taken the car to two companies i.e honda place at central area and danny b motors along games village road.They drove the car into their garage that was danny b, drove it out and told me they only replace transmission systems.I expected the to have scanned it, I am wiling to spend good money on the car as long as it works the way its supposed to do, If i have been meeting guys with generic scanners its probably becos that is what is available in abuja, at least the ones i have met so far.One of them was actually refered to me by one of the commentors on this forum.where else will i get authentic info if not nairaland but i will still be on the lookout for one either to buy or to scan.

thanks and dnt give up on my car,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Cleared Toyota Sienna 2002 Model: Tokunbo / Gazzuzz Autos / SOLD!!!2008 Toyota Camry (muscle)sport Edition (toks And Clean) @ N2.4m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.