Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,079 members, 7,814,743 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (78) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (810661 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nicur: 8:30pm On Aug 29, 2014
worry359:
Just type your question into Google.
You will get plenty of answers.
thanks for your reply, that's what am doing but experience is the best, google will give u too many answers that you will get confused lol (hope u understand) and pple tend to forget or dont that nairaland is a form of google sef even better because its a human that will reply u (that's if anyone replies grin) not some search algorithm. thanks, i have seen some price range 197 to 210, Air France and klm

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 1:01am On Aug 30, 2014
Bambamzzzz:

@ spikesC pls what address did you fill on the landing card and what are the things i should be prepared for at the POE? please say something my oga @ the top

Your campus address
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Frangbon: 7:11am On Aug 30, 2014
Nicur: Please i will like to know the cheapest ticket price from Nigeria to Newcastle Uk and which airline to use or in summary the travel cost from Nigeria to Uk thanks.

Try using HipMunk
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 9:32am On Aug 30, 2014
Nicur: thanks for your reply, that's what am doing but experience is the best, google will give u too many answers that you will get confused lol (hope u understand) and pple tend to forget or dont that nairaland is a form of google sef even better because its a human that will reply u (that's if anyone replies grin) not some search algorithm. thanks, i have seen some price range 197 to 210, Air France and klm

Emirate is the cheapest. 95k, Thats the one I will be booking cos I am heading to Sunderland.
www.travelstart.com.ng
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 9:34am On Aug 30, 2014
Nicur: thanks for your reply, that's what am doing but experience is the best, google will give u too many answers that you will get confused lol (hope u understand) and pple tend to forget or dont that nairaland is a form of google sef even better because its a human that will reply u (that's if anyone replies grin) not some search algorithm. thanks, i have seen some price range 197 to 210, Air France and klm

Emirate is the cheapest. 95k, Thats the one I will be booking cos I am heading to Sunderland. travelstart.com.ng

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by shakibaby: 10:22am On Aug 30, 2014
Hey guys, abeg I'm going to Dundee any ideas for the cheapest fastest way to get there? Wanna leave on the fifth or sixth of September.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Otuabaroku: 12:01pm On Aug 30, 2014
Hi guys, I am looking for someone who wants to send money to Nigeria from UK.

I recently sent a friend £2k to help him solve an urgent problem. The charge for the transaction was almost #37,700. Now he wants to send the money back and it is causing #38,700.

For me I think it is too much for the short period involved(2 wks)

I am looking for someone who wants to send the equivalent to Nigeria. I would ask my friend to pay into his account in Nigeria and he transfers the other to my account.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 12:08pm On Aug 30, 2014
paradisewoods:

Emirate is the cheapest. 95k, Thats the one I will be booking cos I am heading to Sunderland. travelstart.com.ng
How long is your stopover? grin
Under 8 hours or 23hours 45 mins? embarassed
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 12:11pm On Aug 30, 2014
Nicur: Please i will like to know the cheapest ticket price from Nigeria to Newcastle Uk and which airline to use or in summary the travel cost from Nigeria to Uk thanks.
One way cheapest ticket is Emirates but hope you like long stopovers cool cool
Return ticket cheapest is KLM or Air France cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 12:20pm On Aug 30, 2014
spikesC:

None.
I just traveled with my mastercards and transferred my pounds to my brother's UK account.

Thanks for the info you are passing across regarding the rate of naira to pounds
Hope those cards are not linked to a current account like my GTB mastercard
Without informing you, GTB migrates your Mastercard account from your savings account to a current account(once you open one) just like that undecided
Imagine after charging me 400 for withdrawing , I get hit with about 1400Naira COT charges shocked shocked
Crazy innit!
Bladwy banksters! angry angry
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 2:12pm On Aug 30, 2014
ochukoccna:

Thanks for the info you are passing across regarding the rate of naira to pounds
Hope those cards are not linked to a current account like my GTB mastercard
Without informing you, GTB migrates your Mastercard account from your savings account to a current account(once you open one) just like that undecided
Imagine after charging me 400 for withdrawing , I get hit with about 1400Naira COT charges shocked shocked
Crazy innit!
Bladwy banksters! angry angry

Nope, they're not.

One thing you can try is to deposit money into your UK bank account via POS grin
The charges should be low and you even get cashback from GTB wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LabourParty(m): 2:13pm On Aug 30, 2014
Otuabaroku: Hi guys, I am looking for someone who wants to send money to Nigeria from UK.

I recently sent a friend £2k to help him solve an urgent problem. The charge for the transaction was almost #37,700. Now he wants to send the money back and it is causing #38,700.

I am looking for someone who wants to send the equivalent to Nigeria. I would ask my friend to pay into his account in Nigeria and he transfers the other to my account.

Can you do £1 to N286?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 2:16pm On Aug 30, 2014
Otuabaroku: Hi guys, I am looking for someone who wants to send money to Nigeria from UK.

What's your offer?

you can contact me via PM
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 2:17pm On Aug 30, 2014
LabourParty:

Can you do £1 to N286?

You're buying pounds not selling grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Otuabaroku: 2:47pm On Aug 30, 2014
Thanks guys for responding on time. This is how I think it should be done.

You want to send £2k to Nigeria. And the official exchange rate is #280 per £1(for instant). I transfer (#560,000) to your account in Nigeria and you transfer £2000 to my account in UK. No transfer charges from both of us. And everybody is happy.

That's what I am looking for.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 3:09pm On Aug 30, 2014
Otuabaroku: Thanks guys for responding on time. This is how I think it should be done.

You want to send £2k to Nigeria. And the official exchange rate is #280 per £1(for instant). I transfer (#560,000) to your account in Nigeria and you transfer £2000 to my account in UK. No transfer charges from both of us. And everybody is happy.

U no go see d guy small
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LabourParty(m): 3:28pm On Aug 30, 2014
I'm very interested o.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 3:30pm On Aug 30, 2014
spikesC:

Nope, they're not.

One thing you can try is to deposit money into your UK bank account via POS grin
The charges should be low and you even get cashback from GTB wink
Explain better please
I normally withdrew about 790 quid from RBS [that's the max any ATM allows here], deposit in my account here for spending till it runs low and I do it all over again
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 4:17pm On Aug 30, 2014
ochukoccna:
Explain better please
I normally withdrew about 790 quid from RBS [that's the max any ATM allows here], deposit in my account here for spending till it runs low and I do it all over again

Instead of withdrawing from ATM and depositing into your account, you just walk straight into the bank and ask to make a deposit into your account via POS/debit card.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 4:20pm On Aug 30, 2014
Otuabaroku: Thanks guys for responding on time. This is how I think it should be done.

You initially said you have pounds to sell not the other way around.
That is, you pay me pounds in my account, i pay you Naira in your account.

If that's so, kindly send me an email. Thank you
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 4:50pm On Aug 30, 2014
spikesC:

Instead of withdrawing from ATM and depositing into your account, you just walk straight into the bank and ask to make a deposit into your account via POS/debit card.
Cool
And GTBank will even pay you for this?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Otuabaroku: 4:56pm On Aug 30, 2014
@spikesC, not really . I said my friend wants to transfer equivalent of £2k to my UK's account. However the charges for the transfer is too much. So I am looking for someone who wants to send £2k to Nigeria.

In this case the person transfers the money to my account in UK and my friend transfers its equivalent to his or beneficiary's account in Nigeria.

The person does not have to pay for transfer charge and I do not have to pay transfer charges. And the exchange rate is based on official exchange rate.

A win win situation. I reckon.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 5:24pm On Aug 30, 2014
spikesC:

Just to confirm, debit card linked to a Nigerian Account....?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 6:00pm On Aug 30, 2014
Emmagency:

Just to confirm, debit card of a Nigerian bank account....?

What you mean is I walk into Barclays with my GTBank debit card, tell them I will like to deposit some funds into my Barclays acc through POS. Then use the POS as usual and the funds grt into my Barclays without charges from any of the parties involved. And above all I can receive cashback from GTB.

Please, kindly confirm my understanding of this fund transfer process?
Thank you.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 6:41pm On Aug 30, 2014
ochukoccna:
Cool
And GTBank will even pay you for this?

bitchy right grin

Emmagency:

Just to confirm, debit card linked to a Nigerian Account....?

Yes cool

peteafrik88:

What you mean is I walk into Barclays with my GTBank debit card, tell them I will like to deposit some funds into my Barclays acc through POS. Then use the POS as usual and the funds grt into my Barclays without charges from any of the parties involved. And above all I can receive cashback from GTB.

Please, kindly confirm my understanding of this fund transfer process?
Thank you.

yes cool
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 6:42pm On Aug 30, 2014
Otuabaroku: @spikesC, not really . I said my friend wants to transfer equivalent of £2k to my UK's account. However the charges for the transfer is too much. So I am looking for someone who wants to send £2k to Nigeria.

In this case the person transfers the money to my account in UK and my friend transfers its equivalent to his or beneficiary's account in Nigeria.

The person does not have to pay for transfer charge and I do not have to pay transfer charges. And the exchange rate is based on official exchange rate.

A win win situation. I reckon.

Oh, ok.
That's not what i want then cool
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 8:13pm On Aug 30, 2014
Thanks for the insight Spikes kiss
And to think no one dropped this 'revelation' here since embarassed embarassed
Na wa O! shocked shocked
I used to think POS was limited to only retailers and supermarkets
Didn't know your bank could do it too wink
Thanks once again
Though a coursemate who just returned from Naija on Wednesday was telling me today that pounds has spiked afresh undecided undecided
I disbelieved him cos he spit 292/3 naira black market rate at me seeing my GTB transaction of about 2 weeks back was 278.8
Anyone here to to confirm the current pounds to naira rate please?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 9:11pm On Aug 30, 2014
ochukoccna: Thanks for the insight Spikes kiss
Na wa O! shocked shocked
Thanks once again
Though a coursemate who just returned from Naija on Wednesday was telling me today that pounds has spiked afresh undecided undecided
I disbelieved him cos he spit 292/3 naira black market rate at me seeing my GTB transaction of about 2 weeks back was 278.8

Naaah, POS can be used for anything. It's just another form of money exchange.

Black market rate is going up while official rate is going down rapidly.
This is because there is a huge scarcity of foreign hard currencies in Nigeria.

The new economic policies is evidently working, if only they can keep up with it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 12:15am On Aug 31, 2014
ochukoccna: Thanks for the insight Spikes kiss
Na wa O! shocked shocked
Thanks once again

#275.9 per pound on GT Mastercard + #420 charges. (31/08/2014)

By the way, GTBank doesn't force you to link your current account to your Debit card. When you fill the form for a card to be issued, you have an option to tick "card linking." I have both accounts but my current isn't linked to my savings.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 12:40am On Aug 31, 2014
DonOms:

#275.9 per pound on GT Mastercard + #420 charges. (31/08/2014)

By the way, GTBank doesn't force you to link your current account to your Debit card. When you fill the form for a card to be issued, you have an option to tick "card linking." I have both accounts but my current isn't linked to my savings.
Thanks Don wink
How body?
Seems the rate is finally going south (downward) shocked shocked
After I don nearly finish my program and am now rounding up angry angry
God punish devil grin grin

I don't know about card linking cos I did not request for, nor do it
But what I do know was the card was issued on my savings account long ago
I opened a current account quite later on and declined a fresh card issue ( not that they'll issue another Naira Mastercard though or do they)
Before I left Naija, all my transactions ran through my savings account cos the current account was opened mainly for dividend payments
But found when I tried to withdraw with the card here last October, the ATM kept saying insufficient funds
I was almost bunkers knowing I had more than enough funds in my savings account
Only to call GTConnect and be told the card now linked to my current account as that is their standard practice embarassed embarassed
Also that I should transfer funds from the savings to the current account so as to make withdrawals here
Even it was over the phone they helped me open and I received my Internet Banking details as I told them I didn't activate Internet banking before I left
Biko, how is it that your card is not linked to your current account?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.