Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,085 members, 7,814,759 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:12 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (81) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (810665 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bambamzzzz: 7:14pm On Sep 04, 2014
spikesC:

Yes, if your course duration is 1year plus like people said here.

Why are you booking a one way flight when you said you'll be coming back december

i cant pay all those price am seeing for December return and my coming back in december is still under maybe
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by TeamclicksAir: 9:13pm On Sep 04, 2014
Bambamzzzz: My oga's in the house, i saw an iberia airline one way ticket for 135k is it okay for me to buy because of these people at the POE? because its just 1 hour stop over in spain
if your program is over a year then you can book one-way, however if anything less then you need a return. you might be able to cancel and get your funds back or extend for a fee.
HudsonBanks:
Bros flying Iberia is like flying Molue oo, forget its a Spanish airline. My brother had a horrible experience with them just in May this year, I'll suggest you take Air Maroc since its very cheap so you wouldn't be too disappointed with average service.
Royal maroc is no different and its worse for tall people.
koks2000:
my return date is June .
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bambamzzzz: 10:44pm On Sep 04, 2014
TeamclicksAir: if your program is over a year then you can book one-way, however if anything less then you need a return. you might be able to cancel and get your funds back or extend for a fee.

My school start date is sep 15th and end date is oct 20 2015
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 11:45pm On Sep 04, 2014
TeamclicksAir: if your program is over a year then you can book one-way, however if anything less then you need a return. you might be able to cancel and get your funds back or extend for a fee.
Ah that's the end of Maroc for me then sad, I value my leg room cos I'm over 6ft+. But the price for one way tho shocked
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 1:46am On Sep 05, 2014
HudsonBanks:
Ah that's the end of Maroc for me then sad, I value my leg room cos I'm over 6ft+. But the price for one way tho shocked

Am 6ft 3, didn't feel a thing.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 2:36am On Sep 05, 2014
spikesC:

Am 6ft 3, didn't feel a thing.

My chief to the rescue again! grin

Wonderful! First we had same affinity for women with beautiful legs, now we are exactly same height! shocked Ah no oo I must track you once I land England cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 2:58am On Sep 05, 2014
HudsonBanks:

My chief to the rescue again! grin

Wonderful! First we had same affinity for women with beautiful legs, now we are exactly same height! shocked Ah no oo I must track you once I land England cheesy

That is, if you make it out of Casablanca grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 10:17am On Sep 05, 2014
spikesC: Lets go to Mobile sad

Any suggestion?

I would like unlimited data or least 4GB
Any amount of text
500 minutes or more

But my main interest is the data

Sim only or s4 with great price grin

Anyone has fresh insights about this question as regards the best mobile network bundle price-wise for Naija bound calls apart from Lyca, Lebara or Vectone?
Preferably one that has data in the package
Lebara offers Freedom Pass but no thank you embarassed embarassed
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by TeamclicksAir: 10:00pm On Sep 05, 2014
HudsonBanks:
where are you going
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by TeamclicksAir: 10:03pm On Sep 05, 2014
Bambamzzzz:

My school start date is sep 15th and end date is oct 20 2015
Get one way
spikesC:
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
someones leg gonna be roasted
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:28pm On Sep 05, 2014
TeamclicksAir:
someones leg gonna be roasted

lol...but am serious, i didn't feel a thing.
Maybe it was the actually plane we took.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 12:59am On Sep 06, 2014
spikesC:

Na to use scarf tie my eyes so I fit make am to UK man! grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 1:01am On Sep 06, 2014
TeamclicksAir: where are you going

Final destination is Guildford, Surrey. But I'm stopping at London for a couple of days to unwind. smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by TeamclicksAir: 7:15am On Sep 06, 2014
HudsonBanks:

Final destination is Guildford, Surrey. But I'm stopping at London for a couple of days to unwind. smiley
Cool you can catch a train from london to Guildford after your jollificationsss.
lagos to london via Royal (Molue) Maroc is 69k while via my sweet Qatar is 71k. i would choose Qatar anyday grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by esosa4real(m): 11:03am On Sep 06, 2014
Hey guys, am a freshly grad doctor visiting uk on wedsday for a medical conference (not a student). I would be staying for 2weeks, however have some questions that I know only Ona, the Omo naija uk based students fit answer.

1. The conference is n Norwich but I would be arriving Manchester first to drop my luggage at cousins house. How do I get to norwich from manchester? Train or bus and which is cheap? Can I book online?

2. For my two weeks stay, which mobile network should I use with internet available too

3. Apart from old trafford theatre of dreams which I am planning, any other worthy tourist sites in manchester that I MUST visit?

4. I am a first timer uk and I hear things are expensive. Biko putting that into consideration, where can I buy cheap stuffs (clothes, accessories, gadgets).

5. I am planning buying controllers for my ps3 via ebay, but wondering if I can get used n cheap ones to buy physically in manchester.

6. For the conference in Norwich, abeg any Nigerians on this thread living in norwich?? Let's hookup o cos my conference go jux dry.

7. I ve booked hotel for my stay in norwich, it's N23k for two nights! Is it okay? Or there could be cheaper?
Thanks yall while I await your help n replies, God bless

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 12:36pm On Sep 06, 2014
esosa4real: Hey guys, am a freshly grad doctor visiting uk on wedsday for a medical conference (not a student). I would be staying for 2weeks, however have some questions that I know only Ona, the Omo naija uk based students fit answer.
1. The conference is n Norwich but I would be arriving Manchester first to drop my luggage at cousins house. How do I get to norwich from manchester? Train or bus and which is cheap? Can I book online?
2. For my two weeks stay, which mobile network should I use with internet available too
3. Apart from old trafford theatre of dreams which I am planning, any other worthy tourist sites in manchester that I MUST visit?
4. I am a first timer uk and I hear things are expensive. Biko putting that into consideration, where can I buy cheap stuffs (clothes, accessories, gadgets).
5. I am planning buying controllers for my ps3 via ebay, but wondering if I can get used n cheap ones to buy physically in manchester.
6. For the conference in Norwich, abeg any Nigerians on this thread living in norwich?? Let's hookup o cos my conference go jux dry.
7. I ve booked hotel for my stay in norwich, it's N23k for two nights! Is it okay? Or there could be cheaper?

From Manchester you can either get a train or bus without problems. Bus will be cheaper but take longer Look for "National Express"busses
Train can be quite expensive but you can check on line, Google "booking train tickets" You might need to get Taxi to your final destination.
Don't know about mobiles.
Just looking around Manchester will fill your hours.
There will be plenty of shops and markets in Manchester selling goods.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 4:38pm On Sep 06, 2014
esosa4real: Hey guys, am a freshly grad doctor visiting uk on wedsday for a medical conference (not a student). I would be staying for 2weeks, however have some questions that I know only Ona, the Omo naija uk based students fit answer.

A warm welcome to Uk.
1. For transit between Manchester and Norwich, u could ask your cousin for first hand tips, depends on your budget. There is of course, Mega Bus(unreasonably inexpensive) u'lld have to book in advance though. But I'lld say a Train's gonna give u a better feel for a first timer. Although that usually means you'lld sometimes have to network trains, so keep an eye on the sliding led display and the 'next-stop' voice prompt to know what stop u'lld be getting off at.
2. If you're looking to spend a short time in the Uk, don't get a contract line. Lebara or Lyca mobile are effective for pay as you go rates especially if u plan to call folks back home.
3. Manchester is a mega city with a visible presence. Be sure to visit Trafford Center Mall when u're done with Old Trafford Manchester Utd Museum Tour. Loads of cool stuff to see and buy for your folks back home. Picadilly Center Mall as well (Them Prices tho??). Well you'lld be spoiled for choice, so check Travelmate for places to visit. If you find the time, a couple of hours should get you to London via train where u'lld get some eye experience.
4. Did someone say Poundshop already? Ok dunno much about where to get cheap clothes and electronics though(Argos perhaps). Almost everything we buy is online. It gets delivered straight to your doorsteps.
5. Search Cash Converters online and find out if they have a branch in your city. (Norwich or Manchester).
6. .......No idea.....
7. Well, you've booked one already.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 12:10am On Sep 07, 2014
@ cavenchy, do you shop for your clothes @ Argos? shocked shocked
That is so lame man grin grin

@ esosa4real,add Vectone to your list for mobile network list
Look up all the networks suggested to you online and do your research from Naija
If your cousin has supplied his address, you can order a free SIM to be delivered there waiting for you before you arrive or buy at the airport

On clothing if you want mass production dress ( but cheap and of good quality) check out Primark
If your aim is dress that stand out (yet still with reasonable prices) visit a TKMaxx store wink
You might also pay Sports Direct a visit though they do more of casual and sportswear

You can book online for trains but know that the nearer the time for your journey that you book, the more expensive is the train
Same goes for buses but trains are faster
If you already know your itinerary, you can book from Naija or tell your cousin to help you purchase the ticket and reimburse him when you arrive

Poundland, Pound Stretcher, Lidl, Curry's PC World, and Aldi along with some names dropped for you by cavenchy are places you can get different things ranging from games to accessories
Amazon and Aldi can also help but deliveries take about 3-4 working days minimum

Other stores abound, just shine your eyes
The way the UK is built, their cities and towns have major shopping hubs and axis
Ask your hosts or the hotel staff but most of all have a tablet or good phone that can support browsing on the go
Goggle maps might come in handy to help you trace out postcodes cool cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 12:13am On Sep 07, 2014
^^^
Also keep your receipts n case you want to return items or claim back the VAT paid when you are leaving the UK seeing most prices have a 20% VAT charge on them embarassed embarassed
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:10am On Sep 07, 2014
ochukoccna: ^^^
Also keep your receipts n case you want to return items or claim back the VAT paid when you are leaving the UK seeing most prices have a 20% VAT charge on them embarassed embarassed

Are students exempted from vat?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 1:34pm On Sep 07, 2014
GeneralShepherd:
Are students exempted from vat?
shocked shocked
Choi see Naija guy
U no wan make mama Charles chop your money
grin grin grin grin
I've had info which made me stack up my receipts initially (some saying you have 6 months after your purchase to claim back the VAT) but after critically analysing the info I've gotten, its a NO!
Check it, Tier 4 visas are exempt from council tax, you have NHS access etc which basically points that you are entitled to rights visitors do not have access to
Or does those more steeped in the knowledge of British life have contrary opinions?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 1:36pm On Sep 07, 2014
Ochukoccna, silly you grin You know I was refering to the 'electronics' part of that sentence, *brackets*. Unless of course you studied English language at the Pounduni you established? shocked grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:51pm On Sep 07, 2014
ochukoccna: shocked shocked
Choi see Naija guy
U no wan make mama Charles chop your money
grin grin grin grin
I've had info which made me stack up my receipts initially (some saying you have 6 months after your purchase to claim back the VAT) but after critically analysing the info I've gotten, its a NO!
Check it, Tier 4 visas are exempt from council tax, you have NHS access etc which basically points that you are entitled to rights visitors do not have access to
Or does those more steeped in the knowledge of British life have contrary opinions?

You are on point. No VAT exemption.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 3:05pm On Sep 07, 2014
TeamclicksAir: Cool you can catch a train from london to Guildford after your jollificationsss.
lagos to london via Royal (Molue) Maroc is 69k while via my sweet Qatar is 71k. i would choose Qatar anyday grin grin grin

I agree grin

If anyone is looking for a DECENT flight at a very cheap rate, always consider Qatar Airways.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by esosa4real(m): 4:46pm On Sep 07, 2014
Thanks yall for the advices! I would get back to you if I have any questions!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Sep 08, 2014
I got to London okay yesterday..(I thank God)
I used BA

I already know I am going to enjoy my stay here

Okay, I took the wrong baggage(suitcase) yesterday shocked
I found out late at night
Took back the box today, and got my own....they were efficient with baggage retreival, those BA people...took maybe 10minutes

My stomach was in knots all night
Wondering what the poor lady I took her box was going thru, if she was landing or in transit, etc
Also wondering if my perfumes, clothes, shoes were going to be safe (hides)

Well...the wrong suitcase is in the right place now
Cheers @ all

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 8:31pm On Sep 08, 2014
Y'all welcome to the final days of summer...better enjoy the daylights, for soon....
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 5:52am On Sep 09, 2014
Good morning folks, please how do I get to ikeja vfs from mile2
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by TeamclicksAir: 9:11am On Sep 09, 2014
GeneralShepherd: Good morning folks, please how do I get to ikeja vfs from mile2
take a bus to oshodi, from there board a bus going to ikeja (ask at oshodi where the buses are parked). take another to oregun. then board keke to vfs. Note they wont allow you take your bag inside. so just take the docs you need with you.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:13am On Sep 09, 2014
TeamclicksAir:
take a bus to oshodi, from there board a bus going to ikeja (ask at oshodi where the buses are parked). take another to oregun. then board keke to vfs. Note they wont allow you take your bag inside. so just take the docs you need with you.

Thank you
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sukber: 10:00am On Sep 09, 2014
GeneralShepherd: Good morning folks, please how do I get to ikeja vfs from mile2
Take a bus going to Oshodi, at Oshodi take anoda bus to Ojota. Cross to d oda syd of d road, carry keke Marwa. Tell d rider u are going to VFS ikeja. Shikena
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:04am On Sep 09, 2014
sukber:
Take a bus going to Oshodi, at Oshodi take anoda bus to Ojota. Cross to d oda syd of d road, carry keke Marwa. Tell d rider u are going to VFS ikeja. Shikena

Thanks bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.