Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,448 members, 7,846,867 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 04:49 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (536079 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Westbreed: 7:22pm On Mar 13, 2016
Good day
This is a very helpful thread. I will like to have a contact of someone that stays in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Hope to hear from someone soon.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by youseuph(m): 9:47am On Mar 14, 2016
Pinkygrace:

Well nothing ventured nothing gain.I know of 2 senior colleague. One who applied solely with the intention to come write the exams and his visa was granted last year, he came around February, wrote evaluating in in July and took both MCQ and OSCE in November, unfortuanetly he failed OSCE and passed only MCQ, he is coming back to do OSCE in November this year. The second came for evaluating exams in January2016 but i dont know whether he applied for purpose of the exams or just normal tourist visa.
BUT Most people i have seen trying the exams are either having PR already or have study permit. Hope you are jacking well oh, from what i have seen with some friends here the exam na baba oh. As men of honor we join hands

Thanks a bunch sis. I have been on this for quite some time. Was denied UK visa in dec for the january exam. That's why am thinking of giving Canada a try. I will be glad if you can link me up with those people you know that have thread this path.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by abbyyzino(m): 1:19pm On Mar 14, 2016
Please i need urgent advice concerning this: Which is more preferable and probably give me a good chance of securing a job in Canada after my program, A graduate certificate program (1 year) or MSc. program (2 years). My Egbons in canada kindly advice please. it's urgent

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by einsteino(m): 8:42pm On Mar 14, 2016
abbyyzino:
Please i need urgent advice concerning this: Which is more preferable and probably give me a good chance of securing a job in Canada after my program, A graduate certificate program (1 year) or MSc. program (2 years). My Egbons in canada kindly advice please. it's urgent

I am not in canada.. But the little I have learnt so far points that an msc is better than a pgd since you can bag a pgwp of 3yrs with it.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by OpeLovely(f): 11:21pm On Mar 14, 2016
what's the diff btw ICAS, IQAS and WES? Cuz each school is asking for either one of them to verify credentials.....

IQAS is asking for original documents...

Which is d fastest ooo?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:49am On Mar 15, 2016
OpeLovely:
what's the diff btw ICAS, IQAS and WES? Cuz each school is asking for either one of them to verify credentials.....

IQAS is asking for original documents...

Which is d fastest ooo?
IQAS is just for Alberta, Saskatchewan and NWT. I believe ICAS and WES are Canada wide. IQAS usually takes like 3months. I have heard ICAS takes like forever. I think ICAS is the fastest since they are the body also responsible for express entry program qualification assessment.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by abbyyzino(m): 8:46am On Mar 15, 2016
einsteino:

I am not in canada.. But the little I have learnt so far points that an msc is better than a pgd since you can bag a pgwp of 3yrs with it.
Thanks bro, what's pgwp?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by einsteino(m): 10:02am On Mar 15, 2016
abbyyzino:

Thanks bro, what's pgwp?

postgraduate work permit. ie the duration you are allowed to stay back to gain canadian work experience after your studies. this makes it easier for you to get pr(permanent residence).

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paris5thave: 2:00pm On Mar 15, 2016
In fact, when i think about the fact that i would have to be paying for tuition and all means of survival @ d same time, it opens my eyes to all the responsibilities in the world, but God's help will do.

Please people, can someone apply for jobs like a few months before going to school in Canada? Going there to start searching might be too late...i just want to know so i ll know how money will be spent. And how easy is it to get a part-time job? I'm actually thinking of a waitress job, any other ideas? I know my questions are a lot, no vex abeg.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by OpeLovely(f): 6:48pm On Mar 15, 2016
princey83:

IQAS is just for Alberta, Saskatchewan and NWT. I believe ICAS and WES are Canada wide. IQAS usually takes like 3months. I have heard ICAS takes like forever. I think ICAS is the fastest since they are the body also responsible for express entry program qualification assessment.

Pls could you clarify this? You said ICAS takes forever ......yet its the fastest. Am confused.

Thanks for even replying in the first place.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by OpeLovely(f): 8:04pm On Mar 15, 2016
Paris5thave:
In fact, when i think about the fact that i would have to be paying for tuition and all means of survival @ d same time, it opens my eyes to all the responsibilities in the world, but God's help will do.

Please people, can someone apply for jobs like a few months before going to school in Canada? Going there to start searching might be too late...i just want to know so i ll know how money will be spent. And how easy is it to get a part-time job? I'm actually thinking of a waitress job, any other ideas? I know my questions are a lot, no vex abeg.

Babe which school are you applying to?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 1:10am On Mar 16, 2016
OpeLovely:

Pls could you clarify this? You said ICAS takes forever ......yet its the fastest. Am confused.

Thanks for even replying in the first place.
Sorry I meant WES is the fastest.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by OpeLovely(f): 12:27pm On Mar 16, 2016
Thinking of applying to any of the ff:

Sheridan college

Fanshawe college

Algonquin college

Saskatchewan poly

NAIT

McMaster uni

All do 2 years program in Marketing/Communication/Marketing communication and Advertising.

Hmmmm....
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Royat1(m): 1:25pm On Mar 16, 2016
Stanleyelege:

I will prefer UG programme.

Perhaps Bachelor in Law.

Guide me through pls.
Have you mailed the International admission officer, about the requirements, Applications fee and deadline? Which intake are you looking at? Fall or winter
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Mar 16, 2016
General advice for those with PR in mind after studies:

If you intend to apply for PR after studies, maximize your chances by studying in Manitoba or Saskatchewan. These two provinces give you a chance to apply for the express entry program via provincial nomination in case the general express entry doesn't work out. e.g if you studied elsewhere and moved to sask., then you would need to work and reside in a particular level of job in sask for atleast 1year to qualify to apply for provincial nomination. Employers here prefer to offer employment to grads that studied at well known institutions in their province. It's not uncommon to see foreign grads including Nigerians from other institutions in other provinces re-registering at institutions in Manitoba or Sask(starting over again) just to have a chance at applying for the nominee programs.

caveat: Immigration laws change every time, the advice is based on what is obtainable at the moment.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by einsteino(m): 6:46am On Mar 17, 2016
princey83:
General advice for those with PR in mind after studies:

If you intend to apply for PR after studies, maximize your chances by studying in Manitoba or Saskatchewan. These two provinces give you a chance to apply for the express entry program via provincial nomination in case the general express entry doesn't work out. e.g if you studied elsewhere and moved to sask., then you would need to work and reside in a particular level of job in sask for atleast 1year to qualify to apply for provincial nomination. Employers here prefer to offer employment to grads that studied at well known institutions in their province. It's not uncommon to see foreign grads including Nigerians from other institutions in other provinces re-registering at institutions in Manitoba or Sask(starting over again) just to have a chance at applying for the nominee programs.

caveat: Immigration laws change every time, the advice is based on what is obtainable at the moment.

Thanks for this info. Please how much can one expect to earn while working(casual jobs) and studying in these provinces and how easy is it to find such jobs.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Pinkygrace(f): 12:57am On Mar 18, 2016
youseuph:

Ok, will ask and see if he wants to be contacted.

Thanks a bunch sis. I have been on this for quite some time. Was denied UK visa in dec for the january exam. That's why am thinking of giving Canada a try. I will be glad if you can link me up with those people you know that have thread this path.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:12am On Mar 18, 2016
einsteino:

Thanks for this info. Please how much can one expect to earn while working(casual jobs) and studying in these provinces and how easy is it to find such jobs.
wage varies. Just Google minimum wages by provinces.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by einsteino(m): 7:50am On Mar 18, 2016
princey83:

wage varies. Just Google minimum wages by provinces.

Yeah I have done that. That of newfoundland is 10.5cad before tax. Please how easy is it to get a casual job as a student
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by azeezkemi45: 9:53am On Mar 18, 2016
good day, please as an undergraduate student is possible for you to work outside the school premises and can the money you work for outside the school premises be enough to pay your tuition fees, i mean in Canada. am talk about the sum 12000CAD.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by azeezkemi45: 10:00am On Mar 18, 2016
good day, please is possible you get your Canada study permit without having medicals.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Mar 18, 2016
azeezkemi45:
good day, please as an undergraduate student is possible for you to work outside the school premises and can the money you work for outside the school premises be enough to pay your tuition fees, i mean in Canada. am talk about the sum 12000CAD.
The answer is an emphatic NO! You have just 20hrs to work per week. You have house rent, feeding, bus pass (or any means of transport), phone and electricity bills among others to pay monthly. Add that to your tuition fees. Deduct total expenses from a conservative 15hrs per week job (it is very rare to get steady 20hrs/week job). Do the maths. And don't even think of exceeding the limit, you may get deported or your subsequent visa is not renewed.
On a positive note, having skills like barbing, plumbing, computer repairs etc pays cash which is difficult to monitor. That's your only alternative. So, are you a barber?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Mar 18, 2016
einsteino:

Yeah I have done that. That of newfoundland is 10.5cad before tax. Please how easy is it to get a casual job as a student
that still also depends on the province/town of college/uni, economy situation, skills level of applicants e.t.c
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Mar 18, 2016
naijamark:

The answer is an emphatic NO! You have just 20hrs to work per week. You have house rent, feeding, bus pass (or any means of transport), phone and electricity bills among others to pay monthly. Add that to your tuition fees. Deduct total expenses from a conservative 15hrs per week job (it is very rare to get steady 20hrs/week job). Do the maths. And don't even think of exceeding the limit, you may get deported or your subsequent visa is not renewed.
On a positive note, having skills like barbing, plumbing, computer repairs etc pays cash which is difficult to monitor. That's your only alternative. So, are you a barber?
I couldn't have said it better. my current barber is a student and I am sure he makes quite an amount from barbing hair for his school mates and outsiders. the money is tax free too.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Mar 18, 2016
einsteino:

An MSc also gives more points in permanent immigration applications.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Mar 18, 2016
azeezkemi45:
good day, please is possible you get your Canada study permit without having medicals.
Any category of visa that requires you to stay more than 6 months in Canada requires a medical result.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by einsteino(m): 7:52pm On Mar 18, 2016
princey83:

that still also depends on the province/town of college/uni, economy situation, skills level of applicants e.t.c

Province: Newfoundland.. Sch:MUN. Skills:Civil engr with two yrs experience + a web programmer as a hobby.... can you give arough estimate with this?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Mar 18, 2016
einsteino:

Province: Newfoundland.. Sch:MUN. Skills:Civil engr with two yrs experience + a web programmer as a hobby.... can you give arough estimate with this?
To be honest with you. I don't know much about the town in which mun is located.
if mun is located in St John. then all you have to do is use indeed or jobs bank Canada to search for casual jobs (that interests you) in that town. That would give you an idea of what to expect.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by einsteino(m): 8:17pm On Mar 18, 2016
princey83:

To be honest with you. I don't know much about the town in which mun is located.
if mun is located in St John. then all you have to do is use indeed or jobs bank Canada to search for casual jobs (that interests you) in that town. That would give you an idea of what to expect.

It is in St John. thanks alot, let me quickly check to see what i would find.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kelz2205: 12:06am On Mar 19, 2016
Hello fam, pls is anybody aware of any school where i can apply for a diploma in knowledge management, one that is still accepting applications? I am a graduate of Library Science Education from a nigerian university. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by DGuru1: 9:27am On Mar 19, 2016
Hello House, some guidance please. I intend to have my wife undergo a masters program in Canada and would like or 3kids aged between 2 and 8 to be with her.

How is it likely that we can get a visa for the kids to travel with her? Can I get a visa to visit them periodically? Do Universities there have like staff schools for kids?

Your response will be appreciated.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Mar 19, 2016
DGuru1:
Hello House, some guidance please. I intend to have my wife undergo a masters program in Canada and would like or 3kids aged between 2 and 8 to be with her.

How is it likely that we can get a visa for the kids to travel with her? Can I get a visa to visit them periodically? Do Universities there have like staff schools for kids?

Your response will be appreciated.
While it's not easy studying with kids around, it's possible to get visas for them. Kids start school at age 5. There are pre-school but they are not free, and they cost quite an amount. You wife just needs to be able to proof to the visa officer that she is not only emotionally capable to cope with her studies while taking care of her children, but also able to afford the cost of taking care of them as they won't be eligible for government's assistance.

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.