Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,071 members, 7,859,889 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 08:51 PM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (536894 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by OpeLovely(f): 9:34pm On Mar 06, 2016
Sorry for my wahala ....lmaooo.

U know in dis side of d world, we r used to saying "mini flat" or "self con" which means everything is ensuite. But dis oyingbo language of d following:

a) bedroom in a student house
b) student apartment
c) above a student's apartment
d) student apartment in a house

And then i saw stuff like 1 room in a 5bedroom house...in a basement with water, electricity etc...
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nyquist(m): 3:38am On Mar 07, 2016
OpeLovely:
Guys good day n happy mother's day...

My sister advised me to drop my Msc certificate and just focus on enrolling for a diploma in advertising from Humber college or Centennial or Seneca college.

Her words ".....whites don't give a shit about Nigerian or rather African credentials.."

So i will just shenk d Msc certificate i have (Unilag) and make do with my Bsc...

What do u guys think? #JustSeekingHonestOpinions

Your sister is pretty right. You have to get a Canadian post-secondary certificate/degree before you can get interviews for a professional job.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by einsteino(m): 8:47am On Mar 07, 2016
Great advice
abyte:
All the tips above are excellent!

Now let me give you the "On-Ground" Tips

1. DO NOT GET A CREDIT CARD

Many of the things that seem to force you to get one you can do with a pre-paid credit card now. (Hotel, car rental on some cards even building credit)

2. AVOID THOSE NAIJA ODU EGONS

There are many "egbons" here that pretend that they are looking out for you and ask "do you want to make some quick cash"? One asked me for my account number so he could move some money inside. I didn't know what he   was going to do at the time but my father always told me there is never something for nothing. I politely said no. Later I realized it was cheque fraud! Can you imagine, new student to a foreign country and they try to get you in MASSIVE trouble!

3. If you need to call home, Cici is a good card. Readily available at gas stations and about 9cents per minute with no connection fee. There might be others. Get a prepaid call phone. BE VERY WEARY OF ANYTHING THAT IS A SIGNED CONTRACT WITH PERSONS OR COMPANIES. (This will make sense to you later when you arrive)

4. DO NOT BUY A CAR ABOVE YOUR BUDGET

There is a temptation to buy, especially if you are younger, a car, usually German, that can be very costly to own, operate, maintain and insure. (On a side note, NEVER DRIVE WITHOUT INSURANCE). They will get you!

5. This might be controversial but, DON'T LIMIT YOURSELF TO NIGERIAN FRIENDS.

You have paid a great fee to expand your horizon. Limiting yourself, as I see many do, to just the Nigerian crowd, puts an artificial ceiling to how much you are exposed to.

6. REMEMBER WHERE YOU ARE FROM

Again, might be controversial but, no matter how much you might like it there, you are a foreigner. There are still, even with its chaos, greater opportunity for you in Nigeria to make it big. Unless you are not the typical money driven Nigerian. I know I am. The thing with Canada and other 1st world countries is, its all been done. Whatever you learn, always look at it from a point of view how to use it to better your country and yourself.

There are a few more I can think of but I fear I'm sounding like a preacher now,

Enjoy your flight and no carry anything enter plane for una pant O!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by einsteino(m): 9:04am On Mar 07, 2016
Please how is job prospects on campus in newfoundland?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by OpeLovely(f): 11:53am On Mar 07, 2016
OpeLovely:
Also, My folks think staying in a school hostel is cheaper than renting out especially as homestay is expensive and i don't av family in Canada.

But i am fearful of the hostel food as i av read from previous threads dat d food is hell....Lmafaooo.

Please wat are my options?

Exactly how did u guys survive accomodation wahala....checked kijiji n saw some pretty decent lodges for $385...per month.

PLS HELP OOOO...Lool
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by OpeLovely(f): 11:55am On Mar 07, 2016
Nyquist:

Your sister is pretty right. You have to get a Canadian post-secondary certificate/degree before you can get interviews for a professional job.

Thanks for answering. Diploma it is then....at least college fees are cheaper than universities.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Mar 07, 2016
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Mar 07, 2016
OpeLovely:

Thanks for answering. Diploma it is then....at least college fees are cheaper than universities.

But You have to convince the V.O why you are going for a Diploma which is lower than you current academic status
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by youseuph(m): 10:14pm On Mar 07, 2016
I have a professional exam to write in Canada in July, pls how do I go about visa application, which type of visa do I need to apply for?

And I heard that Canada don't consider those without travel experience. I don't have so what are my chances of securing the visa?

Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by einsteino(m): 6:22am On Mar 08, 2016
youseuph:
I have a professional exam to write in Canada in July, pls how do I go about visa application, which type of visa do I need to apply for?

And I heard that Canada don't consider those without travel experience. I don't have so what are my chances of securing the visa?

Thanks.

Many folks have gotten visa with a virgin passport . Head here for more info. https://www.nairaland.com/2557850/travelling-canada-part-9/337

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Mar 08, 2016
-
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:30am On Mar 09, 2016
Royat1:

What are you applying for? UG or post graduate?

I will prefer UG programme.

Perhaps Bachelor in Law.

Guide me through pls.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Mar 09, 2016
youseuph:

Thanks.
If it's not a professional licensing exams to practice in a regulated profession in Canada, you should be fine. Do not worry about the first time rumour. if you qualify for a visa, you would be given irrespective of whether you have travelled out or not.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by SegunWamiri(m): 6:38pm On Mar 09, 2016
success2000:
greet all the nairalanders who have been
contributing on this valuable thread.
please help me oooo.
I applied for Computer System Technician diploma
course at George Brown college Canada. its a 2
year diploma course which I applied for
September 2016 intake. I submitted my
application on the 28th January this year and I
was sent an email containing my student ID. my
worry is, up till now I've not gotten any offer of
admission, please is this normal or I shall forget
about the admission?
God bless you all.........Please help me!

Give the school a ring or send an email to the admissions team
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by SegunWamiri(m): 6:51pm On Mar 09, 2016
einsteino:

Many folks have gotten visa with a virgin passport . Head here for more info. https://www.nairaland.com/2557850/travelling-canada-part-9/337

Not true. Not applicable to students. Such factor might only come to play in the case of a visitor's visa. The question may arise: why Canada as far as it is away from your home?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by SegunWamiri(m): 6:56pm On Mar 09, 2016
youseuph:

Thanks.

Not applicable to students. Such factor might only come to place in the case of a visitor's visa. The question: why Canada first as far as it is from your home country?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by einsteino(m): 9:20pm On Mar 09, 2016
SegunWamiri:

Not true. Not applicable to students. Such factor might only come to play in the case of a visitor's visa. The question may arise: why Canada as far as it is away from your home?

what can I say that would make you believe, since am not a visa officer. Well know this, my own cousin got a study permit with his virgin passport to canada. Also on the thread i linked to, there are testimonies there to the fact by people i do not know. The truth is too big for a popularity contest, just because most folks perceive virgin passport as the reason why they are denied visa doesn't make it true.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by youseuph(m): 10:32pm On Mar 09, 2016
princey83:

If it's not a professional licensing exams to practice in a regulated profession in Canada, you should be fine. Do not worry about the first time rumour. if you qualify for a visa, you would be given irrespective of whether you have travelled out or not.

It is the Evaluating exam of the pharmacist examining board of Canada, which is the first stage of the exam out of like 3 stages
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by youseuph(m): 10:37pm On Mar 09, 2016
SegunWamiri:

Thank you. what kind of visa is appropriate for my situation. The exam is held in two countries i.e uk and Canada
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:00am On Mar 10, 2016
youseuph:

It is the Evaluating exam of the pharmacist examining board of Canada, which is the first stage of the exam out of like 3 stages
I know about the exam. Too be honest with you, getting a visit visa to write that exam is very tough (reason being that, your application is for a non-immigrant visa, yet your action says otherwise). You might also want to research on the pass rate of those exams, the evaluating and its OSCE's, cos it's an expensive venture.

I know 2 pharms from Nigeria that have been denied visa to visit Canada to write the evaluating exam. One works in one of the multinational as a manager and the other is a lecturer in one of the Fed. uni.
I am not saying it's impossible, but I know it's tough.

You would have to apply for a normal visit visa. There is no other visa category.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Omonjoe(m): 5:16am On Mar 10, 2016
If u can explain your acaedemic gap (what you have bn doing after ur first degree) in terms of job or otherwise to the vo in your SOP and in filling your form, please hide ur masters degree during ur visa application. That was what I did.
OpeLovely:

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by youseuph(m): 6:53am On Mar 10, 2016
princey83:

I know about the exam. Too be honest with you, getting a visit visa to write that exam is very tough (reason being that, your application is for a non-immigrant visa, yet your action says otherwise). You might also want to research on the pass rate of those exams, the evaluating and its OSCE's, cos it's an expensive venture.

I know 2 pharms from Nigeria that have been denied visa to visit Canada to write the evaluating exam. One works in one of the multinational as a manager and the other is a lecturer in one of the Fed. uni.
I am not saying it's impossible, but I know it's tough.

You would have to apply for a normal visit visa. There is no other visa category.

I appreciate your comment. But what do you advise in this case? How best can I go about it to secure the visa.

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:29am On Mar 11, 2016
[quote author=youseuph post=43635651][/quote]
Just apply for a visit visa. You might have to visit CIC website the get the requirements, nut i would advise that you do not disclose that you are coming to seat for a licensing exam. You can try the express entry program too.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by deediva: 3:55am On Mar 11, 2016
To call cheap, I use "telephonenigeria.com" they have good rates and your credit does not expire.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by OpeLovely(f): 10:15am On Mar 12, 2016
Omonjoe:
If u can explain your acaedemic gap (what you have bn doing after ur first degree) in terms of job or otherwise to the vo in your SOP and in filling your form, please hide ur masters degree during ur visa application. That was what I did.

So was it a post graduate diploma you studied instead or a master's degree in Canada? I have over 8 years work experience so i can always say that i have been working all these while.....with employment letters attached and references to boost my chances of having a PGD. I would have gone for either another Masters or Phd but they are too expensive and i have to be realistic with my financial expectations even though i have a sponsor.

Marketing communications is the area i want to study though. Because i see it as one of the "in-demand" jobs under the Canada NOC.....
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Pinkygrace(f): 3:39pm On Mar 12, 2016
youseuph:

Thank you. what kind of visa is appropriate for my situation. The exam is held in two countries i.e uk and Canada
Well nothing ventured nothing gain.I know of 2 senior colleague. One who applied solely with the intention to come write the exams and his visa was granted last year, he came around February, wrote evaluating in in July and took both MCQ and OSCE in November, unfortuanetly he failed OSCE and passed only MCQ, he is coming back to do OSCE in November this year. The second came for evaluating exams in January2016 but i dont know whether he applied for purpose of the exams or just normal tourist visa.
BUT Most people i have seen trying the exams are either having PR already or have study permit. Hope you are jacking well oh, from what i have seen with some friends here the exam na baba oh. As men of honor we join hands

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.