Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,940 members, 7,835,130 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (535305 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kajoula(m): 5:54pm On Feb 18, 2016
Please ...what does it mean when they use the word "TERM" does it mean 1 semester or a session/year ?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Feb 18, 2016
kajoula:
Please ...what does it mean when they use the word "TERM" does it mean 1 semester or a session/year ?
A term is usually a semester.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kajoula(m): 10:53pm On Feb 18, 2016
saxywale:
A term is usually a semester.
thank you ...wale
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by slimtriggaman: 10:29am On Feb 20, 2016
Hello dear, do you have an idea of the province that only require u to work for six months post-grad, to be eligible for PNP
IyaEjima:

It grants u entry into Canada and gives PR in d long run, esp if it's a 2-yr prog. That's worth it to me!! smileyI am not sure if it makes u eligible for masters but I think it should add some credits to a well-packaged app. Work after Sch depends on d grace u carry and ur province. As some provinces may not require jobs related to ur Prog of study / may only require u to work for six months post-grad, to be eligible for PNP.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by IyaEjima(f): 1:37am On Feb 21, 2016
slimtriggaman:
Hello dear, do you have an idea of the province that only require u to work for six months post-grad, to be eligible for PNP
MB and SK, d 6 months apply only if u school in any of these provinces.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ceemac: 11:54am On Feb 21, 2016
IyaEjima:

Hello Ma, am yet to see Onyeoma3 even after mentioning him and sending him a PM, can you kindly further suggest how I can contact him? When also do you thing U of Man reaches their September Admission decisions?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by IyaEjima(f): 12:17pm On Feb 21, 2016
ceemac:

Hello Ma, am yet to see Onyeoma3 even after mentioning him and sending him a PM, can you kindly further suggest how I can contact him? When also do you thing U of Man reaches their September Admission decisions?

I'll call him ASAP, he's probably very busy now. Admission letters should be rolling out already, it's usually anytime btw Feb-May, depending on ur prog! All d best!!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ceemac: 12:48pm On Feb 21, 2016
IyaEjima:

I'll call him ASAP, he's probably very busy now. Admission letters should be rolling out already, it's usually anytime btw Feb-May, depending on ur prog! All d best!!

Thanks Ma, the Admission am actually expecting is in Msc in Electrical Engineering, Any Idea?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by IyaEjima(f): 12:57pm On Feb 21, 2016
ceemac:

Thanks Ma, the Admission am actually expecting is in Msc in Electrical Engineering, Any Idea?
No, I don't. But just trust and believe.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by iykedare(m): 6:34pm On Feb 21, 2016
IyaEjima:

What about Ontario? How long do I need to work there to qualify me for PR? And must the work be related to what I studied?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by mhizcovy(f): 10:00am On Feb 22, 2016
please any humber college or york university aspirant or student here should pm me please.i need advice
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Akeem1759(m): 3:54pm On Feb 22, 2016
Bro try dey read some local News paper Kuma, all this online things are no longer recognised in Naija... NUC has suspended it since Last year...
FKBZ:

Please i have a friend in Nigeria whose last degree was an OND but wishes to study further abroad.

He would prefer to do it online due to his business commitments but doesn't know how to go about it.

I would appreciate if any one can recommend schools with good online degree,affordable fees and minimal travel i.e traveling there only maybe for convocation or practicals would be ideal..

I would have suggested a Nigeria university but we all know the standard right now.

I need hands-on experience or first hand information,links ,website thankssss.

I have tried google but it isn't so explanatory.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by johnwisdom10(m): 11:26am On Feb 24, 2016
Please follow nairalander! Who is going to Vancouver canada this month or anytime soon! Wanna send my girl two designer shoes. Please i will be very greatful just drop me a message on 5C11D61A or quote me. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Onyeoma3: 9:24pm On Feb 25, 2016
ceemac:

but I replied your PM sir

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by success2000: 10:09pm On Feb 25, 2016
I greet all the nairalanders who have been contributing on this valuable thread.
please help me oooo.
I applied for Computer System Technician diploma course at George Brown college Canada. its a 2 year diploma course which I applied for September 2016 intake. I submitted my application on the 28th January this year and I was sent an email containing my student ID. my worry is, up till now I've not gotten any offer of admission, please is this normal or I shall forget about the admission?
God bless you all.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:00am On Feb 26, 2016
Royat1:

Sorry, have been busy lately.
U of R means University of Regina. There application is still open for admission, there admission decision takes like 21working days, excluding Saturday's and sunday's.

Thanks for the definition.

sir, I am interested in Univerity of Regina as i hve researched on them, i find thier tuition and programmes affordable.

Kindly help me with the application steps

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:37am On Feb 26, 2016
Help needed.

i applied to Ochanaghan college, british columbia by sending the admission team a mail with my o level certificate and scratch cards, credit card details etc. A step further, i paid for a courier service to send the hard copy to the school. With 2 weeks gone, am yet to get an acknowledgement mail from the school. This now is getting me worried.

Advise pls
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by sahm4u2nv(m): 10:50am On Feb 26, 2016
please I need a helping hand
I'm currently serving and my pop is in few months to go
I graduated with 2.2(3.48) Soil science, thinking of running my MSC in Canada,I also have a barbing skill,presently running that aside PPA, thinking of getting my Nigerian passport nextweek when allowee comes lol
pls how do I go about the Msc?. thanks n God bless
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Royat1(m): 4:10pm On Feb 26, 2016
Stanleyelege:

Thanks for the definition.

sir, I am interested in Univerity of Regina as i hve researched on them, i find thier tuition and programmes affordable.

Kindly help me with the application steps

What are you applying for? UG or post graduate?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by OyBosEnEmm(m): 9:36pm On Feb 26, 2016
@Nobody

I was in St. Albert, Edmonton briefly between Dec 2015 and mid Jan 2016. I should be coming back by the end of May.

Can you PM me to clarify some doubt.

Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by success2000: 10:21pm On Feb 26, 2016
greet all the nairalanders who have been
contributing on this valuable thread.
please help me oooo.
I applied for Computer System Technician diploma
course at George Brown college Canada. its a 2
year diploma course which I applied for
September 2016 intake. I submitted my
application on the 28th January this year and I
was sent an email containing my student ID. my
worry is, up till now I've not gotten any offer of
admission, please is this normal or I shall forget
about the admission?
God bless you all.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Davidson5(m): 1:15pm On Feb 27, 2016
hey guys, in as much I like to live and study in Canada. I would love to live in the province of the French territory. I love Montreal or Quebec City.. any one who knows much info about these you should share it please. cost of living and studying in the French sides how's is it like.. merci smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Feb 27, 2016
Davidson5:
hey guys, in as much I like to live and study in Canada. I would love to live in the province of the French territory. I love Montreal or Quebec City.. any one who knows much info about these you should share it please. cost of living and studying in the French sides how's is it like.. merci smiley

I've never been to montreal but my friend moved there about 6 months ago and he tells me about the place.The cost of studying is actually the
same as that of other provinces.As for the cost of living, Its super cheap as in Chhhheeeeap! You can get an apartment for $400/$500 and Basement for around $300.Transportation is also very cheap.The monthly pass is $82 compared to Toronto's $112.You'also meet a lot of central Africans there and Africans from French-speaking countries

All in all, it's a nice place and very chilled compared to Toronto.Quebec is the name of the province where Montreal is so its the same kind of
like Ogun state being in Western Nigeria

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Davidson5(m): 12:00am On Feb 28, 2016
Kudos guy! kudos, that's very informative. I'll keep dreaming higher. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:54am On Feb 28, 2016
Hello guys, such a wonderful platform to share ideas,
I intend going to canada to get a master's degree and hopefully Phd in Mathematics or Computer sci, as soon as am done with NYSC 2016, my question is, with the recent dollar hike affecting our economy,travelers kindly inform us about the current exchange rate for Canadian dollar against the naira, and how you get the best deals.

Before now, I was intending to go for a course work program, then I read a post that research based Msc programs are fully funded by the school? Please how true is this? If yes, does it mean no tuition fee required?

If I intend to take a job in canada as a new immigrant, let's say, campus job, what is the minimum pay at worse case I just project for?

Please, quote me if you wish to answer my question so I can know when I get a reply. Thank you!

CC justwise
Whathaveidone
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:06am On Feb 28, 2016
Ezechinwa:
Hello guys, such a wonderful platform to share ideas,
I intend going to canada to get a master's degree and hopefully Phd in Mathematics or Computer sci, as soon as am done with NYSC 2016, my question is, with the recent dollar hike affecting our economy,travelers kindly inform us about the current exchange rate for Canadian dollar against the naira, and how you get the best deals.

Before now, I was intending to go for a course work program, then I read a post that research based Msc programs are fully funded by the school? Please how true is this? If yes, does it mean no tuition fee required?

If I intend to take a job in canada as a new immigrant, let's say, campus job, what is the minimum pay at worse case I just project for?

Please, quote me if you wish to answer my question so I can know when I get a reply. Thank you!

CC justwise Whathaveidone

Well.. I don't really know much about the Msc programs

The exchange rate flunctuates between N145 and N150 but atm its at N147.Its been a while I paid school fees so I don't really know much on how to get the best deals

I was speaking with someone recently and the person told me it takes time for the money to get cleared these days due to the changes in the
Nigerian Banking sector meaning you might pay today and it won't get to the school account until the next 3 weeks undecided.

Concerning the job, the official minimum wage is $11.25 whether you're a new immigrant or not but If you're doing cash jobs that don't require resumes,documents and all that, they usually pay less most times, but sometimes, they pay you higher depending on how difficult the job is
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:41am On Feb 28, 2016
Minimum wage depends on province, lowest being New Brunswick $10.30 and highest being NWT at $12.50
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:18am On Feb 28, 2016
Whathaveidone:

Well.. I don't really know much about the Msc programs

The exchange rate flunctuates between N145 and N150 but atm its at N147.Its been a while I paid school fees so I don't really know much on how to get the best deals

I was speaking with someone recently and the person told me it takes time for the money to get cleared these days due to the changes in the
Nigerian Banking sector meaning you might pay today and it won't get to the school account until the next 3 weeks undecided.

Concerning the job, the official minimum wage is $11.25 whether you're a new immigrant or not but If you're doing cash jobs that don't require resumes,documents and all that, they usually pay less most times, but sometimes, they pay you higher depending on how difficult the job is

Thanks a lot
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ziggy3579: 7:22am On Feb 29, 2016
Hello house, I've just been given admission into lambton college for september resumption 2016. Pls I wld like to know if it's better to apply for a visa through an agent or I should apply my self. Presently I don't av a job and I heard I would av to submit my bank statement of account, I will like to know how much should be in my personal account and how much should be in my sponsor's account in Naira value. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by investcanada(f): 9:14pm On Feb 29, 2016
slimtriggaman:
Hi , it gets more complicated than just the time you work . There are other requirements you have to fulfill and even with work it has to be in a specific NOC code . I have been dealing with post graduate students, LMIA and PNP and believe me , it is quite complicated .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by investcanada(f): 9:18pm On Feb 29, 2016
Ouch..... I love Montreal , one problem though .... very hard to get jobs and harder in terms of applying for PR later is that what you want to do. If life there was easy , with jobs and everything, we would all move there as it is beautiful . And , of course there is the language thing ( French )
Whathaveidone:

I've never been to montreal but my friend moved there about 6 months ago and he tells me about the place.The cost of studying is actually the
same as that of other provinces.As for the cost of living, Its super cheap as in Chhhheeeeap! You can get an apartment for $400/$500 and Basement for around $300.Transportation is also very cheap.The monthly pass is $82 compared to Toronto's $112.You'also meet a lot of central Africans there and Africans from French-speaking countries

All in all, it's a nice place and very chilled compared to Toronto.Quebec is the name of the province where Montreal is so its the same kind of
like Ogun state being in Western Nigeria
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by success2000: 10:18pm On Feb 29, 2016
greet all the nairalanders who have been contributing on this valuable thread. please help me oooo. I applied for Computer System Technician diploma course at George Brown college Canada. its a 2 year diploma course which I applied for September 2016 intake. I submitted my application on the 28th January this year and I was sent an email containing my student ID. my worry is, up till now I've not gotten any offer of admission, please is this normal or I shall forget about the admission? God bless you all.........Please help me!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.