Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,041 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:49 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (535287 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by investcanada(f): 3:39am On Mar 01, 2016
success2000:
greet all the nairalanders who have been
contributing on this valuable thread.
please help me oooo.
I applied for Computer System Technician diploma
course at George Brown college Canada. its a 2
year diploma course which I applied for
September 2016 intake. I submitted my
application on the 28th January this year and I
was sent an email containing my student ID. my
worry is, up till now I've not gotten any offer of
admission, please is this normal or I shall forget
about the admission?
God bless you all.........Please help me!

Just wait , they send offers at different times , where else did you apply ? George Brown is a very good college and a lot of those programs are hard to get into , however , even if you get somewhere else you should be able to transfer later .

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Mar 02, 2016
Royat1:

Sir/ma the study visa is pretty straight forward it's a thing that you can do yourself, firstly get an admission, then come back here to ask questions. About universities, Google schools, mail their Inte. rnational office for their requirements and information how to apply, ask for the email address that you will scan all your documents and wait for admission decision.. Lastly, apply into more than one school so, that you won't put all your eggs i
n one basket. Make more research on the
school, it's tuition fee, the city in terms of cost of living, jobs etc...
thanks bro I have make enquiry just that i want school in the range of 2000-3000 Canada
dollars for PGD but it seems they are expensive

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Royat1(m): 1:27pm On Mar 02, 2016
browncube:
thanks bro I have make enquiry just that i want school in the range of 2000-3000 Canada
dollars for PGD but it seems they are expensive
, I don't think you can get any school with that fee.. I doubt it!!!. Just increase your budget to like 7k to 8k$..
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Mar 02, 2016
as anyone paid tuition fee for colleges in Canada from 2000-4000k Canada dollars for PGD .can I defer my admission after I have gotten my TRV and work before going back to study
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Mar 02, 2016
Please whats the difference between funding and stipend?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by apex5252: 5:57pm On Mar 03, 2016
Please I submitted my student visa application through online and I did my biometric the following day it's been six Weeks since I submitted now and haven heard from them please is this something to worry about?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by iykedare(m): 8:51pm On Mar 03, 2016
Nony1:
Please whats the difference between funding and stipend?

Google

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by cammyjr(m): 9:37pm On Mar 03, 2016
Please is there any one in lambton college ? How best do I reach the admissions office ? I received an offer and want to inquire on the possibility of changing the program . I have sent several mails and have received no reply yet and the deadline for the first term fees is almost here. Kindly advice me what to do .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ziggy3579: 8:08am On Mar 04, 2016
Send ur enquiries to this mail, Jun.zhu@lambtoncollege.ca . She should be able to help. I just got an offer too from lambton for september
cammyjr:
Please is there any one in lambton college ? How best do I reach the admissions office ? I received an offer and want to inquire on the possibility of changing the program . I have sent several mails and have received no reply yet and the deadline for the first term fees is almost here. Kindly advice me what to do .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by cammyjr(m): 11:37am On Mar 04, 2016
Thanks bro, she is the same person who has refused to reply or acknowledge my emails, I even called her number and it rings with no response .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by medicflod: 4:33pm On Mar 04, 2016
Warm greetings to everyone here.

I am applying for Conestoga college for their September 2016 intake Enhanced Nursing practice critical care Nursing,

I have made my inquiries i was asked to pay 100$ Non-refundable fee for the admission process and 1500$Cad to keep my spot if am given the admission.

The tuition is 13870 cad/year

I am a registered Nurse here in Nigeria,Please i want to know in terms of working per time as a student what is the environment like.

do you advise me to choose this school,i don't know anyone schooling there.

Please your contributions will be appreciated.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by maestrojay(m): 10:33am On Mar 05, 2016
Hello guys, pls is there anione in Memorial University of Newfoundland... pls i want to apply there for masters in International relations... i hav gone through the school's site, but is there anione to help me ansa some general questions about the school and the city in general.. thanks guys..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by OpeLovely(f): 10:59am On Mar 05, 2016
I have a Cgpa of 3.81 in Mass Communication (advertising and public relations) and an Msc in Bus admin (marketing) but i want to focus on Communication or Advertising. Av done a lot of research and read ur threads but here r my questions :

1) Why doesnt d Canada high commission give visas to graduate students who want to do part time programs?

2) How can u have the chance to work 20 hours a week when ur a full time student?

3) How do u survive on a minimum wage of $10 an hour?

4) As rents are average of $400-$500 per room on kijiji, is it not better to get a two bedroom of $700 and get a roommate n split d expenses $350 per person?

5) D schools dat offer Communication as an Msc course are Uni of Alberta, Seneca college, Centennial college, Sheridan college and Wilfrid laurier uni.......wats d cheapest option?

6) Does doing a co-op program better my chances of gaining PR after d course even if d course is one year??

7) Can i apply for a two year program, get visa n travel n then change to a part time program?? Considering d huge expenses over there + trying to gain points for d PR or Canadian experience class

cool My sponsor is my dad but do i need to also av money in my account to enable VO to give me visa......heard they reject if u don't av money in ur account despite d sponsor having a great bank statement.

Sorry its long but plssssssssss av bin Googling and not getting d info i need. Plssss save a sister. Thank u.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Mar 05, 2016
1) Why doesnt d Canada high commission give visas to graduate students who want to do part time programs?

Answer: This is not peculiar to Canadian Embassy, I don't know of any country in the world that gives visa to international students to run part time programmes.

2) How can u have the chance to work 20 hours a week when ur a full time student?

A: Yes you can, but it would be hard to find an employer that would give you exactly 20hrs. A day shift is usually 8hrs/wk, so you would be looking at 16,hrs/wk.

3) How do u survive on a minimum wage of $10 an hour?

A: People survive on such amount when and if it's a full time job. There are many locals working in jobs that pay that amount.

4) As rents are average of $400-$500 per room on kijiji, is it not better to get a two bedroom of $700 and get a roommate n split d expenses $350 per person?

A: Good idea. Alot of students do exactly just that. It's not uncommon to find up to 4 Indian students sharing one apartment.

5) D schools dat offer Communication as an Msc course are Uni of Alberta, Seneca college, Centennial college, Sheridan college and Wilfrid laurier uni.......wats d cheapest option?

A: This is a research you would have to carry out on your own. Google mandatory fees for each school & living expenses for the town/city school is located.

6) Does doing a co-op program better my chances of gaining PR after d course even if d course is one year??

A: Depending on province, I think the two provinces that may count co-op as credit towards work experience for their pnp programs are Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

7) Can i apply for a two year program, get visa n travel n then change to a part time program?? Considering d huge expenses over there + trying to gain points for d PR or Canadian experience class

A: No, you can't change to a PT program as that violates the terms and conditions of your visa. In addition, the school would not let you change except you show them you now have a PR or citizen status. Canadian experience class has also been cancelled.

8 ) My sponsor is my dad but do i need to also av money in my account to enable VO to give me visa......heard they reject if u don't av money in ur account despite d sponsor having a great bank statement.

A: You do not need to have money in your account if your sponsor is 100% willing to finance your studies.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Consultville(m): 7:03pm On Mar 05, 2016
Talking of Lambton College check out what this guy wrote on LIB

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by yemdogg: 10:20pm On Mar 05, 2016
Hello please, I have applied to conestoga College (Human Resources Management) i am a legal practitioner. my application status to conestoga college reads "ACCEPTABLE CONDITIONAL (REVIEW IN PROCESS) pls does anyone know what this means? pls any conestoga student who knows the meaning of this should help out.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kennykolabo: 12:47am On Mar 06, 2016
please the cic website isnt opening. is anyone encountering the same challenge ( www.cic.gc.ca)?

investcanada:

Just wait , they send offers at different times , where else did you apply ? George Brown is a very good college and a lot of those programs are hard to get into , however , even if you get somewhere else you should be able to transfer later .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Karleyb: 6:56am On Mar 06, 2016
maestrojay:
Hello guys, pls is there anione in Memorial University of Newfoundland... pls i want to apply there for masters in International relations... i hav gone through the school's site, but is there anione to help me ansa some general questions about the school and the city in general.. thanks guys..

First things first! schooling abroad no be beans o! you better start training yourself to type correct and proper English. That "anione" that you typed, if you had used the correct spelling, it doesnt shorten the word, we for say na shorthand. Schooling abroad, especially in the Americas will require a lot of paper writings. Been there, done that. Goodluck.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kennykolabo: 8:35am On Mar 06, 2016
Please who has been able to log into the cic site ( cic.gc.ca) cos the page is not opening and am not too sure if the challenge is from me.
Trying since yetserday cos i want to pay for my fee but its not opening anyone with any clue plsssss
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by apex5252: 12:11pm On Mar 06, 2016
Hello house please i need the guru in the house to help shed light to whats bothering me, I submitted my student visa application through online and I did my biometric the following day it's been six Weeks since I submitted now and haven heard from them please is this something to worry about?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by FrankLampard: 4:11pm On Mar 06, 2016
Happy Sunday, guys!!!

I just saw this thread. I want to ask a few question with regards to travelling to Canada for a full time MSc program.

Ever since I was in my final year in 2013/2014 school session my elder bro has been advising me to start my application to Canada for my MSc degree, but sincerely, I didn't listen to any of his advice because I felt I would easily get a job at home in Nigeria and start a life here, before starting off my own business, but ever since I finished my service in October of 2015, things have not been going well for me, as I find it very difficult getting an Interview not to talk of getting a job.

Finally, I am taking my bro's advice, as I plan to start applications for an MSc in Computer Science in Canada, The only school I have looked at so far is University of Ontario Institute of Technology, but I would like to get more advice as to which school would be best.

I graduated with a 2.1 in one of the Federal Universities. I would like to know the criteria for which I would be offered admission to the school ie University of Ontario Institute of Technology.

I would also like to know some of the process involved in getting admissions into the school and how to secure a VISA. I will like to know if it will be the school that will be offering the accommodation or I will look for accommodation myself when I get there.

I want to know if it is also possible for me to secure a part-time employment as I attend my MSc program. As it stands I am good at Web Development and I know a thing or two in Computer Networking very well.

Please I need answers to range of questions as I don't even know the kind of questions to ask.

I will be making my Nigeria Passport this week.

Looking forward to your replies guys.

Thank you.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by mustiey: 4:18pm On Mar 06, 2016
Direct your question to this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/2557850/travelling-canada-part-9/335

apex5252:
Please I submitted my student visa application through online and I did my biometric the following day it's been six Weeks since I submitted now and haven heard from them please is this something to worry about?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Allisonrichy(m): 6:27pm On Mar 06, 2016
bro please I want to know
Can someone run his masters degree program and also pursue a career in football in Canada I mean is it possible
Please I will appreciate your sincere reply
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by OpeLovely(f): 9:19pm On Mar 06, 2016
Guys good day n happy mother's day...

My sister advised me to drop my Msc certificate and just focus on enrolling for a diploma in advertising from Humber college or Centennial or Seneca college.

Her words ".....whites don't give a shit about Nigerian or rather African credentials.."

So i will just shenk d Msc certificate i have (Unilag) and make do with my Bsc...

What do u guys think? #JustSeekingHonestOpinions
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by OpeLovely(f): 9:24pm On Mar 06, 2016
Also, My folks think staying in a school hostel is cheaper than renting out especially as homestay is expensive and i don't av family in Canada.

But i am fearful of the hostel food as i av read from previous threads dat d food is hell....Lmafaooo.

Please wat are my options?

Exactly how did u guys survive accomodation wahala....checked kijiji n saw some pretty decent lodges for $385...per month.

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.