Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:42 AM

Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? (42222 Views)

Cash Crunch: Tithes, Offerings Drop In Churches / "First-Fruits": Pastors Are Planning A Major Robbery In January / COZA Introduces Online Payment Of Tithes, Offerings, Seeds & Pledges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by poweredcom(m): 7:03pm On Feb 06, 2012
To me all na washing, I will never pay Tithe , and men DONT YOU KNOW THAT THERE IS A BOOMIN BUSINESS IN NAIJA CALLED CHURCH BUSINESS, NA PASTOR DEY ENJOY NA CONGREGATION DEY SUFFER, Be wise control your toughts. unless you will be washed and turn Mugu
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by ugosly(m): 7:10pm On Feb 06, 2012
@poster,@kbdrim,from ur posts,it is obvious you are just Bible scholars and not spiritually sensitive people,well, if you must know,tithing is a personal thing u do as u are led by the spirit.
One thing I do know 4 sure is dat in the law of the spirit,u must giv(sow) be it tithes or offerins to recieve(reap) any kind of benefit.Evn babalawos and necromancers recieve gifts of goats,cattle,kolanut,hot drinks and evn money to carry out sacrifice for their clients,so quit wasting cyber page here trying in futility to 'correct' an ages old practice older than your fore fathers.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by OmoTier1(m): 7:12pm On Feb 06, 2012
Dear Lord!
The author of this thread either does not know why the bible was written or lacks the spiritual insight into how God's Kingdom functions! First fruits has nothing to do with the old testaments! By which spirit do you study your bible? It is so stupid and spiritually immature for people to say they are New testament Christians!  

@issues of Tithes, Offerings, First Fruits.
I do them all and I receive my rewards 'cos I am a Man of Faith! If the Spirit of God truly dwells in you, surely He will teach you these kingdom principles from God's Word and you will not need any man to force you to do them because when you do in faith, you get your reward and it just become a life style for you!

A man who can not give His first fruits, Tithe or Offerings, such a man is never a giver to the core!
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by ugosly(m): 7:35pm On Feb 06, 2012
The poster is the type that's always trying to condescend and rationalize the things of the spirit to mere intellectualism,which I think is spiritual ignorance of the highest order in Christainity.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 7:42pm On Feb 06, 2012
@Omo Tier1:

NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE pays the Biblical tithe today.

THE FIRST TITHE
Leviticus 27:30-33 defines this tithe as a tenth of crops and animals in herds and flocks.
Numbers 18 gives the ordinances, or instructions, for this tithe, and commands this tithe be taken to the Levites.
Purpose of this tithe: to support the Levitical Priesthood.

SECOND TITHE
Deuteronomy 14:22-27: aka The Festival Tithe - a tenth of crops, plus add to that the firstborn animals, and take for the yearly feast.
Purpose of this tithe: “that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always”

THIRD TITHE
Deuteronomy 14:28-29: aka The Three-Year Tithe aka The Poor Tithe - a tenth of crops, kept at home, and invite the Levites, widows, orphans, stranger to eat.
Purpose of this tithe: to feed the poor.

Now, tell me. Which of the above three tithes commanded by God does anyone follow today?

The ONLY people in the Old Testament that were commanded to tithe were those who INHERITED THE PROMISED LAND WITH EVERYTHING ON IT. They got the land, house, animals, crops, etc. ALL FREE AND CLEAR. No mortgage payment or rent to pay. And THEY were commanded to tithe on the crops and animals and take it to the Levites who INHERITED the tithe INSTEAD OF the promised land with everything on it. No one else tithed. Wage earners did not tithe. Jesus did not tithe as a carpenter. Paul did not tithe as a tent maker. Peter did not tithe as a fisherman.

When God gave the Israelites the promised land, He RESERVED, for Himself, a tenth of the crops and every tenth animal. They NEVER did belong to the Israelites. In other words, the tithe was from God's increase of FOOD, not from man's income. It was a way to distribute FOOD to the Levites and priests who did NOT inherit any land.

No one, not even the farmers, tithed on their income.

The farmers made their income by SELLING and/or barter-exchanging their crops and animals but did NOT tithe on that income.

Today, ALL born-again believers are priests. ALL of us are called to be deciples of the Lord. No one of us is higher than another. Our bodies are the Temple where the Spirit dwells. According to the scriptures, priests do not tithe.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by OmoTier1(m): 7:46pm On Feb 06, 2012
^^^This is like a christian saying, since God has richly blessed us with all things, why then do we still need to pray!, Spiritual Babe reason like the OP. Instead of Him/Her to either go to thier Pastor and learn in humility, whilst praying that God's Spirit will expand their understanding, the OP is busy hindering her spiritual growth!

Those that truly belongs to God and have His Spirit as a deposit knows God's kingdom principle and they are just too pleased to do them because they know when the do the word, results follow!

The problem with lots of Christians that reason like the OP is FAITH! They lack stubborn faith, so when they read Gods word with an instruction to do, they do but see no reward, not because God isn't faithful to His word, but rather they had very little faith! Soon after they go about discouraging others from working their faith, thereby acting as agents of Satan!

If you do not believe in First Fruits, Tithes, Offerings, then do not do it! Not everything in God's Kingdom is a MUST. God gives the instructions with blessings to follow and if you have Faith in God, if you trust him and do believe that what He says he will do, He does, then you will find JOY in doing Gods instructions.

Those of us that have being doing it, we know for sure and we can testify that God is faithful to His promise concerning tithing, offerings of various kind, First Fuirts, etc.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by OmoTier1(m): 7:52pm On Feb 06, 2012
garyarnold:

@Omo Tier1:

NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE pays the Biblical tithe today.

THE FIRST TITHE
Leviticus 27:30-33 defines this tithe as a tenth of crops and animals in herds and flocks.
Numbers 18 gives the ordinances, or instructions, for this tithe, and commands this tithe be taken to the Levites.
Purpose of this tithe: to support the Levitical Priesthood.

SECOND TITHE
Deuteronomy 14:22-27: aka The Festival Tithe - a tenth of crops, plus add to that the firstborn animals, and take for the yearly feast.
Purpose of this tithe: “that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always”

THIRD TITHE
Deuteronomy 14:28-29: aka The Three-Year Tithe aka The Poor Tithe - a tenth of crops, kept at home, and invite the Levites, widows, orphans, stranger to eat.
Purpose of this tithe: to feed the poor.

Now, tell me. Which of the above three tithes commanded by God does anyone follow today?

The ONLY people in the Old Testament that were commanded to tithe were those who INHERITED THE PROMISED LAND WITH EVERYTHING ON IT. They got the land, house, animals, crops, etc. ALL FREE AND CLEAR. No mortgage payment or rent to pay. And THEY were commanded to tithe on the crops and animals and take it to the Levites who INHERITED the tithe INSTEAD OF the promised land with everything on it. No one else tithed. Wage earners did not tithe. Jesus did not tithe as a carpenter. Paul did not tithe as a tent maker. Peter did not tithe as a fisherman.

When God gave the Israelites the promised land, He RESERVED, for Himself, a tenth of the crops and every tenth animal. They NEVER did belong to the Israelites. In other words, the tithe was from God's increase of FOOD, not from man's income. It was a way to distribute FOOD to the Levites and priests who did NOT inherit any land.

No one, not even the farmers, tithed on their income.

The farmers made their income by SELLING and/or barter-exchanging their crops and animals but did NOT tithe on that income.

Today, ALL born-again believers are priests. ALL of us are called to be deciples of the Lord. No one of us is higher than another. Our bodies are the Temple where the Spirit dwells. According to the scriptures, priests do not tithe.

Have you asked yourself why God would want them to tithe in the First place? Why would God require them to tithe? The History of Tithe in the Bible can be traced to Abram's meeting with the Angel of the Lord- remember him? One after the order of Mel, Maybe this should open your eyes abit that tithing is not something of the flesh! It has a huge spiritual dimension!
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 8:00pm On Feb 06, 2012
@Omo Tier 1:

You amaze me!  You don't follow ANY of the tithing commands given by God, but actually expect to be blessed by taking God's commands to tithe on His increase of crops and animals and change that to tithing on your income, and change God's command to take His tithe to the Levites to take the tithe to your church!  Truly amazing!

Firstfruits offerings in the scriptures are just that - the first of the FRUIT from CROPS, not money, and not from income.

IF you think tithing and firstfruits are spiritual laws, they you must tithe spiritually and offer firstfruits spiritually.  Giving money is not spiritual.

Ephesians 1:3 (KJV)  “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:”  In other words, once you accept Christ, you are blessed with ALL spiritual blessings.  ALL, not some.

The New Testament teaches generous, sacrificial giving, from the heart, according to our means. For some, $1 might be a sacrifice, while for others, even giving 50% of their income might not induce a sacrifice. In the Old Testament, ONLY the farmers tithed, and it was equal percentage (a tenth). The New Testament teaches the principle of equal sacrifice instead of equal percentage. Equal sacrifice is much harder to achieve, if not impossible, than giving ten percent.

You totally misunderstand the tithe and firstfruits.  Both came from GOD'S miraculous increase of food from crops and animals, and NEVER money, and NEVER from anyone's income.

When you try to "tithe" or give a "firstfruit offering" from your own income you are essentially replacing God with yourself.  You have cheapened the tithe and firstfruits from GOD'S increase to your own achievements (income).

ONE OF THE WORST CRIMES OF ALL TIME:
1 - It is done by pastors who are trusted to be honest and right, and done in the name of Jesus.
2 - It is legal only because the government (in the US) can't interfere with religious beliefs, and the pastor only need claim he is teaching his beliefs.
3 - It has spread world-wide and this crime has more victims than any other that I know of.
4 - Those who have been scammed almost always take sides with the scammer.
5 - It's a crime where the victim thinks he/she is the beneficiary, not the victim.
6 - The crime is so carefully crafted and executed that the victim falls for the same scam every week, week after week, month after month, year after year, and never even questions the scammer.
7 - The crime is so carefully crafted and executed that most church goers will yell AMEN!
8 - The crime is so carefully crafted and executed that most church goers believe their pastor is the best pastor around.  Their pastor really knows the truth.  They trust and believe everything he says.
9 - The crime is so carefully crafted and executed that the victims convince others to join in and be a victim like they are, all the time thinking they are the beneficiary.
10 - The crime is so carefully crafted and executed that the victim thinks they are robbing God if they don't comply with the scam.
11 - The crime is so carefully crafted and executed it is very difficult to convince the victim that they have been a victim.

The crime?  Pastors teaching that God requires Christians to tithe to the church.  With tithing, the victim is so ignorant of the truth, they have no clue they've been a victim.  And if and when the tithing scam victims realize they are victims, there is really nothing they can do about it.  The scammer keeps the money.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 8:01pm On Feb 06, 2012
Let’s look closely at Abram’s tithe. First, the goods that Abram gave the tenth from didn’t even belong to Abram:

Genesis 14:21 (KJV) - And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself.

Notice in verse 21 the king of Sodom didn’t ask Abram if he would give back to him the people, but rather said GIVE ME the people and keep the goods for yourself. The way that is worded indicates that the king of Sodom was claiming that the people and the goods belonged to him, but he offered the goods to Abram.

It would normally have been the custom that the victor owns the spoils, but normally the spoils would have belonged to the enemy. In this case, Abram was RECOVERING goods belonging to the King of Sodom.

NOTE: The king of Sodom had an original right both to the persons and to the goods, and it would bear a debate whether Abram’s acquired right by rescue would supersede his title and extinguish it; but, to prevent all quarrels, the king of Sodom makes this fair proposal (v. 21).
--Should the Church Teach Tithing by Dr. Russell Earl Kelly, pages 24-25

Genesis 14:22-24 (KJV)
22And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,
23That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:
24Save only that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.

Notice in verses 23 and 24 Abram also acknowledges that the goods belonged to the king of Sodom. But the king of Sodam offered that Abram could keep the goods for himself. Abram declined the offer. He didn’t want man to take credit for his wealth. By not accepting any of the goods for himself, Abram was putting all his faith in God to provide for him rather than man.

Therefore, it is clear that both the king of Sodom and Abram acknowledged that the spoils of war did NOT belong to Abram, yet he gave a tenth of the spoils to King Melchizedek. This would seem that Abram did something wrong, if not even illegal, but Biblical historians agree that it was custom in Abram's day to give the king a tenth of the war spoils. Had Abram not given the tenth, he would have gone against custom.

Conclusion: Abram did NOT give a tenth of his income, or his wealth. Abram gave a tenth of the spoils of war that didn’t belong to him and declined to keep the goods offered to him. That is NOT an example of tithing for Christians to follow today. By declining to keep any of the goods for himself, Abram showed his faith that God would provide. That is the example of faith that Christians should be following. Furthermore, the law did NOT require a tenth of war spoils to be given, so to say that tithing was before the law and then in the law is not true. What Abram did was NOT even codified into the later law.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by sojioguns(m): 8:04pm On Feb 06, 2012
I believe in ONE principle to rule them all. What you believe in is what will work for you.
i know of people that are ardent tithers and it works for them but i dont tithe because it doesnt work for me. My tithe is to the beggars and needy.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by OmoTier1(m): 8:07pm On Feb 06, 2012
garyarnold:

Let’s look closely at Abram’s tithe.  First, the goods that Abram gave the tenth from didn’t even belong to Abram:

Genesis 14:21 (KJV) - And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself.

Notice in verse 21 the king of Sodom didn’t ask Abram if he would give back to him the people, but rather said GIVE ME the people and keep the goods for yourself.  The way that is worded indicates that the king of Sodom was claiming that the people and the goods belonged to him, but he offered the goods to Abram.

It would normally have been the custom that the victor owns the spoils, but normally the spoils would have belonged to the enemy.  In this case, Abram was RECOVERING goods belonging to the King of Sodom.

NOTE:  The king of Sodom had an original right both to the persons and to the goods, and it would bear a debate whether Abram’s acquired right by rescue would supersede his title and extinguish it; but, to prevent all quarrels, the king of Sodom makes this fair proposal (v. 21).
--Should the Church Teach Tithing by Dr. Russell Earl Kelly, pages 24-25

Genesis 14:22-24 (KJV)
22And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,
23That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:
24Save only that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.

Notice in verses 23 and 24 Abram also acknowledges that the goods belonged to the king of Sodom.  But the king of Sodam offered that Abram could keep the goods for himself. Abram declined the offer.  He didn’t want man to take credit for his wealth.  By not accepting any of the goods for himself, Abram was putting all his faith in God to provide for him rather than man.

Therefore, it is clear that both the king of Sodom and Abram acknowledged that the spoils of war did NOT belong to Abram, yet he gave a tenth of the spoils to King Melchizedek.  This would seem that Abram did something wrong, if not even illegal, but Biblical historians agree that it was custom in Abram's day to give the king a tenth of the war spoils.  Had Abram not given the tenth, he would have gone against custom.

Conclusion:  Abram did NOT give a tenth of his income, or his wealth.  Abram gave a tenth of the spoils of war that didn’t belong to him and declined to keep the goods offered to him.  That is NOT an example of tithing for Christians to follow today.  By declining to keep any of the goods for himself, Abram showed his faith that God would provide.  That is the example of faith that Christians should be following.  Furthermore, the law did NOT require a tenth of war spoils to be given, so to say that tithing was before the law and then in the law is not true.  What Abram did was NOT even codified into the later law.

You either answer this question or shut up for eternity!
Gen 12:20 ", And blessed be God most high who delivered your enemies into your hand. Then Abram gave him a TENTH OF EVERYTHING"

Question: Where did the bible say Abram gave Melchizedek a tenth of the Goods King of Sodom gave Abram?

You claimed what Abram gave wasn't His, please can you go back and re-read that chapter again and know whose possessions was taken captive in the first place!
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by ronkebp(f): 8:07pm On Feb 06, 2012
I don't think we should come here and be judging the pastors, if your faith allows you to pay your tithe, please do, if it doesn't, then don't, but do not lead people astray.

@ poster Tithe paying has to do with obeying God's injunction, if you claim to be really a born-again, then your heart desire should be to please the Lord and obey his commandments and not care about those fattening themselves with the tithes and offering, whatever they do is between them and God ( leave the judgement to Him).
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by OmoTier1(m): 8:11pm On Feb 06, 2012
ronkebp:

I don't think we should come here and be judging the pastors, if your faith allows you to pay your tithe, please do, if it doesn't, then don't, but do not lead people astray.

@ poster Tithe paying has to do with obeying God's injunction, if you claim to be really a born-again, then your heart desire should be to please the Lord and obey his commandments and not care about those fattening themselves with the tithes and offering, whatever they do is between them and God ( leave the judgement to Him).
God bless you! People do not get it. It is not to me that Pastors would answer, neither is it to me they would give account of that which God placed in their hands, rather, as God's living epistle, I would do just what I know pleases him and leave God, who is the udge of all things to judge when the time comes.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 8:23pm On Feb 06, 2012
@Omo Tier 1:

If you read Genesis 14, you find that Abram stopped ON HIS WAY BACK and gave a tenth of everything he had with him. It doesn't say he went home and gathered a tenth of everything he owned. This is also verified in Hebrews 7:4. He gave a tenth of the spoils. In fact, he gave a tenth of the NET spoils, not the gross spoils.

Genesis 14:23 (KJV)

In verse 23 Abram says he will not take any thing that is yours (thine); therefore, Abram acknowledges the spoils didn't belong to him.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by OmoTier1(m): 8:26pm On Feb 06, 2012
garyarnold:

@Omo Tier 1:

If you read Genesis 14, you find that Abram stopped ON HIS WAY BACK and gave a tenth of everything he had with him.  It doesn't say he went home and gathered a tenth of everything he owned.  This is also verified in Hebrews 7:4.  He gave a tenth of the spoils.  In fact, he gave a tenth of the NET spoils, not the gross spoils.

Genesis 14:23 (KJV)

In verse 23 Abram says he will not take any thing that is yours (thine); therefore, Abram acknowledges the spoils didn't belong to him.
Why are you trying to add an interpretation that isn't there? Bible simply said that he gave him a TENTH of EVERYTHING. Did He say it was everything He had at that time? Do you even know or understand what was happening to Abram as at the time this happened? Go back and re-read please
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 8:33pm On Feb 06, 2012
@Omo Tier1:

Genesis 14:20 (NLT) And blessed be God Most High, who has helped you conquer your enemies.” Then Abram gave Melchizedek a tenth of all the goods he had recovered.

You are taking one verse totally out of context and coming to an incorrect conclusion.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 8:37pm On Feb 06, 2012
Title: Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Old Testament
A tenth part of all the spoils he had taken from the confederate kings.

Title: Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Whole Bible

Abram gave him the tenth of the spoils
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 8:49pm On Feb 06, 2012
@Omo Tier 1:

What does "tenth of all" or "tenth of everything" even mean?

Does it say tenth of everything he owned? Does it say a tenth of everything in the world? It doesn't specify what the "all" or "everything" is, so we have to read the entire story to get the answer. We also can use Hebrews 7 to get the answer.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by OmoTier1(m): 8:52pm On Feb 06, 2012
^^ American Standard Version, Gen 14:20, " And blessed be God Most High, who hath delivered thin enemies into thy hand. And He gave him a tenth of all, "

Look, what I am trying to point out to you is that there were no record anywhere in the Bible of Abram being instructed to give a tenth of His belongings to Melchizedek. So then where did Abram learn to tithe from? Who instructed Him? And why did He deem it fit to give a tenth of EVERYTHING to Melchizedek?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by OmoTier1(m): 8:55pm On Feb 06, 2012
garyarnold:

@Omo Tier 1:

What does "tenth of all" or "tenth of everything" even mean?

Does it say tenth of everything he owned? Does it say a tenth of everything in the world? It doesn't specify what the "all" or "everything" is, so we have to read the entire story to get the answer. We also can use Hebrews 7 to get the answer.
Well that should husssh your arguement thrust that He gave a tenth of what He took from the Kings, utterly untrue and not what the Bible recorded!
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Ayatullah(m): 9:09pm On Feb 06, 2012
@FXking2012 Thanks for your good reasoning. Please get in touch with former pastor Mathew Oyewole, he will satisfy you with all you need to know on why your pastors are 'taxing' you to dryness. May you be relieved of the imposed burden.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 9:09pm On Feb 06, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Dear Lord!
The author of this thread either does not know why the bible was written or lacks the spiritual insight into how God's Kingdom functions! First fruits has nothing to do with the old testaments! By which spirit do you study your bible? It is so silly and spiritually immature for people to say they are New testament Christians!  

@issues of Tithes, Offerings, First Fruits.
I do them all and I receive my rewards 'cos I am a Man of Faith! If the Spirit of God truly dwells in you, surely He will teach you these kingdom principles from God's Word and you will not need any man to force you to do them because when you do in faith, you get your reward and it just become a life style for you!

A man who can not give His first fruits, Tithe or Offerings, such a man is never a giver to the core!

ugosly:

The poster is the type that's always trying to condescend and rationalize the things of the spirit to mere intellectualism,which  I think is spiritual ignorance of the highest order in Christainity.

People like you worship your pastor instead of reading the Bible to know what is expected of you. Do you pay all these tithes offerings and first fruit because it is in the Bible or becos u were taught as a kid it is the right thing to do and becos your pastor keeps drumming it into your ears every Sunday.
When you hear a lie over and over again it starts to sound like the truth. You do something that neither Jesus nor the apostles did or even recommended yet you come here to claim to know the Bible.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by nikky5(m): 9:10pm On Feb 06, 2012
I had a revelation that tithe defaulters will go to hell.This agrees with Mal 3;8-10.They are robbers and cursed Rev 21;27.Ask those who pay tithes and give offerings and they will tell you how God has richly blessed them.The entire word of God must be obeyed. God is wiser than men.He asked for only ten percent of what He has given to you.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 9:17pm On Feb 06, 2012
@Omo Tier1:

Since Hebrews 7 clarifies that Abram gave a tenth of the spoils, and since the story shows that Abram had not yet returned to his home, it only makes sense that he gave a tenth of the spoils.

There is NO scripture to show that Abram ever tithed before this one-time event, nor is there any scripture that Abraham tithed after this one-time event. There is no scripture to shows that Abraham ever tithed from his regular income.

You follow NO part of Abram's one-time tithing example. Even IF he had tithed on everything he owned, it was one time, and not on his income. Therefore, to follow YOUR interpretation of Abram's tithe, you must tithe ONE TIME only, and it must be a tenth of EVERYTHING you own. Is that the way you have tithed?

How about being truthful here. Exactly how are YOU following Abram's tithing example?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 9:19pm On Feb 06, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Have you asked yourself why God would want them to tithe in the First place? Why would God require them to tithe? The History of Tithe in the Bible can be traced to Abram's meeting with the Angel of the Lord- remember him? One after the order of Mel,   Maybe this should open your eyes abit that tithing is not something of the flesh! It has a huge spiritual dimension!

And have you asked yourself why God would require sacrifices from Abel, Noah, Solomon, Abraham, etc? And I keep asking why dont you keep offering animal sacrifices since God requested it during the days of Abraham.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by OmoTier1(m): 9:19pm On Feb 06, 2012
FXKing2012:

People like you worship your pastor instead of reading the Bible to know what is expected of you. Do you pay all these tithes offerings and first fruit because it is in the Bible or becos u were taught as a kid it is the right thing to do and becos your pastor keeps drumming it into your ears every Sunday.
When you hear a lie over and over again it starts to sound like the truth. You do something that neither Jesus nor the apostles did or even recommended yet you come here to claim to know the Bible.
It is obvious you still allow your flesh to rule over you! Why do you allow the paying of tithes, First Fruits and Offerings bother you at all? Did the bible ever say those who do such will end up in the lake of fire? Or will those who choose to do so end up sinning against God? If the answer is No, so why not leave it to those who choose to do it?

It is folks like you who can not open their mouth to preach Jesus the Christ and His saving power to others, yet would come into forums and start topics that you are Spiritually unlearned about!

May God through His Holy Spirit open your eyes of understanding! But let me tell you this: If in 2012 you experience a dryness like you never did in your life, know it is for the purpose of what you did here!
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by emmanbol: 9:21pm On Feb 06, 2012
the standard of the lord standeth sure, we should not use human calculation to explain the things of God
this kingdom is theocracy and nt democracy.
jesus made it known that we shud pay tithes in the gospel when he was explaining hyprocracy of the jews, paying tithes of even vegetables, and other minute things but didnt exhibit one of the important instruction of jesus
we should be careful with d way we respond to question as regards christian issues.
ask for explainations from the holyghost b4 we post here.
it is well
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 9:23pm On Feb 06, 2012
ronkebp:

I obey God's injunction which applies to me as someone who lives under grace and not under the law. I obey God and I have made it very clear I dont judge pastors who preach tithes et al cos itz not for me to judge them, judgement belongs to God.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by OmoTier1(m): 9:25pm On Feb 06, 2012
garyarnold:

@Omo Tier1:

Since Hebrews 7 clarifies that Abram gave a tenth of the spoils, and since the story shows that Abram had not yet returned to his home, it only makes sense that he gave a tenth of the spoils.  

There is NO scripture to show that Abram ever tithed before this one-time event, nor is there any scripture that Abraham tithed after this one-time event.  There is no scripture to shows that Abraham ever tithed from his regular income.

You follow NO part of Abram's one-time tithing example.  Even IF he had tithed on everything he owned, it was one time, and not on his income.  Therefore, to follow YOUR interpretation of Abram's tithe, you must tithe ONE TIME only, and it must be a tenth of EVERYTHING you own.  Is that the way you have tithed?

How about being truthful here.  Exactly how are YOU following Abram's tithing example?
You still do not get it! The manner after which Abram went about giving a tenth of His everything would tell you that He was acustomed to doing so even before now!

FYI, I am not following Abram's tithing example. All I do is I give God a tenth of my earnings, wether be money, goods, etc and I say to God, here I am, I bring this to you as my offering of thanks! That should cause no harm to anybody! Most of you seems not to understand when symbolism is used by God to express spiritual things in the old testament.

If you are filled of the Holy Spirit, I tell you this, He will teach you this principle and He would help you to learn how to live by it! But the truth is most of us do not even know the Holy Spirit, neither do we talk with me or fellowship with Him! Ask of Him and He will teach you all you need to know about tithing, offerings and First Fruits.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 9:26pm On Feb 06, 2012
@Omo Tier1:

Please explain to me why it is that NO Christian Church ever taught anyone to tithe on their income before 1870.  This is proven in the history of the Christian Church.

No one here is against giving to the church, whether it be 10% or any other amount or percentage.  The problem is teaching that a tenth is required, OR that you can even voluntarily pay the Biblical tithe.

When you give a tenth of your income to the church, that has nothing to do with any tithe in the Bible.  You are merely picking up the word "tithe" from the Bible and using it in a non-Blblical way.  You are using the worldly definition of tithe rather than the Biblical definition.  GOD defined His tithe, but YOU choose to use man's worldly definition.  Therefore, IF you are trying to tithe per the Bible, and you do it by giving a tenth of your income to the church, then you have sinned by not obeying God's tithing commands.  But if you just wish to give a tenth of your income to the church because you want to give, that is great.  But using the tenth to be obedient, etc. would be wrong.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by OmoTier1(m): 9:30pm On Feb 06, 2012
FXKing2012:

And have you asked yourself why God would require sacrifices from Abel, Noah, Solomon, Abraham, etc? And I keep asking why dont you keep offering animal sacrifices since God requested it during the days of Abraham.
The question is not whether it be of animals, rather the lesson is that God savours sacrifices and that is God's choice of acceptance. It is not of me to query. It is like a man asking, why would God say we should worship/praise Him in hymms, Psalms and Melodies? That is God's choice and there is nothing you can do about it.

You know what, all these debate would end very very soon when you breathe your last breathe! Then you would see in God's Kingdom that these things are for real and it is our act of worship in God's Kingdom!
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 9:31pm On Feb 06, 2012
@Omo Tier1:

I have also been taught incorrectly about the tithe in church.  It was when my pastor asked me to teach a Sunday School Class in finances that I prayed and asked the Lord for truth.  It was then that the Holy Spirit taught me the truth about tithes.

Now I have taught many pastors the truth, and my writings on the topic are now being used by pastors and Bible Study instructors in the US, Canada, Australia, and East Africa.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

5 Things some Christians Wish Jesus Didn't Say / Pastor Bakare Attacks Patience Jonathan / Can Someone Be A Witch Without Being Aware?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.