Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,336 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:55 AM

Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? (42224 Views)

Cash Crunch: Tithes, Offerings Drop In Churches / "First-Fruits": Pastors Are Planning A Major Robbery In January / COZA Introduces Online Payment Of Tithes, Offerings, Seeds & Pledges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by OmoTier1(m): 9:32pm On Feb 06, 2012
garyarnold:

@Omo Tier1:

Please explain to me why it is that NO Christian Church ever taught anyone to tithe on their income before 1870.  This is proven in the history of the Christian Church.

No one here is against giving to the church, whether it be 10% or any other amount or percentage.  The problem is teaching that a tenth is required, OR that you can even voluntarily pay the Biblical tithe.

When you give a tenth of your income to the church, that has nothing to do with any tithe in the Bible.  You are merely picking up the word "tithe" from the Bible and using it in a non-Blblical way.  You are using the worldly definition of tithe rather than the Biblical definition.  GOD defined His tithe, but YOU choose to use man's worldly definition.  Therefore, IF you are trying to tithe per the Bible, and you do it by giving a tenth of your income to the church, then you have sinned by not obeying God's tithing commands.  But if you just wish to give a tenth of your income to the church because you want to give, that is great.  But using the tenth to be obedient, etc. would be wrong.
You do not understand that it is beyond the income! Tithing is on everything and anything that comes with increase! I am sorry the more I read your post, the more ridiculous your view point seems.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 9:35pm On Feb 06, 2012
@Omo Tier1:

Give scripture to show that tithing was ever on income.

You have been brainwashed by either dishonest or ignorant pastors.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by OmoTier1(m): 9:37pm On Feb 06, 2012
garyarnold:

@Omo Tier1:

I have also been taught incorrectly about the tithe in church.  It was when my pastor asked me to teach a Sunday School Class in finances that I prayed and asked the Lord for truth.  It was then that the Holy Spirit taught me the truth about tithes.

Now I have taught many pastors the truth, and my writings on the topic are now being used by pastors and Bible Study instructors in the US, Canada, Australia, and East Africa.  
I ask you, was that the vision and commission Jesus gave you? Is that what the world needs now? Have you finish preaching Jesus to your world that you would?

Need I remind you that even while Jesus was on earth, there were folks like you then and there will always be! You run after what I call the 'little' of God's desires!

Preach Jesus and His saving power. Let each man discover for himself the truth of God's word. If a man chooses to do those things as tithing, offerings, First Fruits, etc, let him be. It is God who sees and rewards not you!
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 9:40pm On Feb 06, 2012
@Omo Tier1:

Only God can teach you. Obviously, I can't.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by OmoTier1(m): 9:40pm On Feb 06, 2012
garyarnold:

@Omo Tier1:

Give scripture to show that tithing was ever on income.  

You have been brainwashed by either dishonest or ignorant pastors.
You post doesnot make sense! You call them dishonest or ignorant, who made you their Lord? Are you the one who commissioned them into the ministry? Why not let them be judge of the one whom they would all give answers at the end?

People like you are the selfish type, poor at heart and are never perpetual givers! Hence when you see others give, you burn inwardly! Is it your money or goods that is being given out? I tithe and get my reward, why should that be of your business? You rather should be more concerned if Lives are being saved tha have a sorrowful time attacking Pastors!
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by ronkebp(f): 9:40pm On Feb 06, 2012
All this back and forth

Pay 10% of your income, buisness ( sales - expenses= profit) 10%of profit , gifts (10% of gifts depending on how your faith carries you). And that is just to make food abound in the house of God. (knowing that ''the food'' here is figurative).
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 9:42pm On Feb 06, 2012
nikky5:

I had a revelation that tithe defaulters will go to hell.This agrees with Mal 3;8-10.They are robbers and cursed Rev 21;27.Ask those who pay tithes and give offerings and they will tell you how God has richly blessed them.The entire word of God must be obeyed. God is wiser than men.He asked for only ten percent of what He has given to you.

Rev 21:27 says nothing about tithes, so why quote it? And what makes you think God does not bless those who dont tithe? The rule is when you give you will receive in multiples, and giving should be to the poor, less privileged and for the work of the kingdom.
It was never made a necessity and I hate the idea of pastors saying you will not be blessed if you dont tithe as if it is in the Bible. Giving should be voluntary and from your heart, that way you will be greatly blessed.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by OmoTier1(m): 9:45pm On Feb 06, 2012
garyarnold:

@Omo Tier1:

Only God can teach you.  Obviously, I can't.
Obviously, TIME will surely put people like you to shame! God's word cannot ne misconstrued! Afterall there were folks like you who said miracles are not for today!
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by cintia(f): 9:48pm On Feb 06, 2012
In this article I intend to examine an aspect of this idealism that is either avoided or simply unknown. For in as much as many have undertaken the argument of whether tithing is a valid practice under the new covenant, an issue I leave to the discretion of each individual, few have considered the purpose for which God initially instituted the tithe. Ironically, the purpose of tithing proves to be a more fascinating and understandable than the circular, often ambiguous arguments of its validity. So then let's begin with a careful examination of the institution of tithing by the Lord in Deuteronomy, and then consider several modern positions of the practice in light of what we discover.

First, it is necessary to understand that tithing took on two distinct forms depending on the period of Israel's history that you consider. While in the wilderness the Lord commanded that the entire tithe should go to the sons of Levi in return for their service at the tent of meeting (Num. 18:11). However, when Israel settled in Canaan God, redefined the practice of tithing since the lifestyle of the people and their subsequent interaction with the priests and Levites markedly changed. It is this second form of tithing that the current practice is supposedly modeled after and therefore becomes the subject of our enquiry.

We find its institution in Deuteronomy 14 immediately as Israel is preparing to cross the Jordan and enter Canaan. Now I will warn you, the scripture you are about to read will challenge your current understanding of this popular Christian paradigm. It is a direct quote from the New American Standard version and only the emphasis of certain words has been added.

You shall surely tithe all the produce from what you sow, which comes out of the field every year.

You shall eat in the presence of the Lord you God, at the place where He chooses to establish His name, the tithe of your grain, your new wine, your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and your flock, so that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always.

If the distance is so great for you that you are not able to bring the tithe, since the place where the Lord your God chooses to set His name is to far away from you when the Lord your God blesses you, then you shall exchange it for money, and bind the money in your hand and go to the place where the Lord your God chooses.

You may spend the money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen, or sheep, or wine, or strong drink, or whatever your heart desires; and there you shall eat in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household. (Deuteronomy 14:22-26)

Before we continue you may want to read this passage again. In fact you may want to read it out of your own Bible just to verify that I quoted it correctly. When you are sufficiently satisfied that it really does read this way, I encourage you to read on.

In verse 22 it is clear that the Lord is commanding Israel to tithe saying, "You shall surely tithe…" However in the next three verses He clearly articulates His intended purpose for the tithe; an even cursory reading of which reveals a conflict with the current paradigm of the tithe. So striking is the contrast that an honest student of the Word must ask the following questions:

Who does the Lord say should eat the tithe?
And who has control over the usage of the tithe?

Without question the answer is, the tither, "…so that (they) may learn to fear the Lord (their) God always." In fact the Lord even sanctions the tither to convert his or her tithe into money and subsequently ", spend the money on whatever (their) heart desires"!

How can this be! Have we not been taught that the tithe belongs to the storehouse so that there might be meat in God's house? Have we not also been taught that we will be cursed if we eat our tithe? And have we not been taught that we learn to trust, or fear, the Lord by giving our tithe away, not by consuming it ourselves?

Yet God Himself commanded that the tithe be eaten by the tither, and that in so doing they would learn to fear the Lord. He even went so far as to sanction the purchase of strong drink with tithe money for the express consumption of the tither!

Pause and Think

What do you make of this passage in the light of modern Christian teaching? Is it possible the current paradigm is flawed? Could it be that the current teaching is filled with enough truth to sound biblical, but in reality is designed to bring believers back under the Law. Most importantly, would you be willing to reconsider your position on this paradigm and judge its validity by the Word? If so, read on.

Let's begin by examining this opening passage, for it seems to stand in direct opposition to the current paradigm of the tithe. In verse 22 it is clear that the Lord is commanding Israel to tithe saying, "You shall surely tithe…" However the next three verses express His purpose for the tithe. Who does He say should eat the tithe? You! It is to be eaten by the tither, "…so that (they) may learn to fear the Lord (their) God always." In fact the Lord even sanctions the tither to convert his or her tithe into money and subsequently ", spend the money on whatever (their) heart desires"!

How can this be! We've been taught that the tithe belongs to the storehouse so that there might be meat in God's house. We've been taught that we will be cursed if we eat our tithe. We've been taught that we learn to trust, or fear, the Lord by giving our tithe away, not by consuming it ourselves. And yet God Himself commanded that the tithe be eaten by the tither, and that in so doing they would learn to fear the Lord.

The Lord's Mind Regarding The Tithe

To truly understand the Lord's mind concerning the tithe we must examine His instructions to Israel in their application of this practice. If you read the rest of Deuteronomy 14 you see that there was actually a three-year cycle of tithing. The first two years were to be used as a celebratory feast by each individual family and the third year the tithe was to be given to the Levite, who would then redistribute it to the alien, the orphan and the widow. Deuteronomy 26:12 further clarifies this point saying,

When you have finished paying all the tithe of your increase in the third year, the year of tithing, then you shall give it to the Levite, to the stranger to the orphan, and to the widow, that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied.

So then there is a distributive aspect to tithing, however the guidelines are very clear: for two years the tithe is yours to consume and the third year it is given to someone who will redistribute the tithe to the stranger, orphan and widow. To further clarify the matter, the Lord indicates that the two-years tithe is to be used for a feast or celebration or, one could even argue, a vacation. For did not the Lord sanction the conversion of the tithe into money and then allow the tither to "…spend the money on whatever their heart desired." Then the third-year tithe would insure that the storehouse would be full so that strangers, orphans and widows would be properly cared for. And since each family would be on a different harvesting cycle the overall effect is that feasting, celebration and giving were perpetual within Israel.

Indeed, it becomes obvious that the Lord instituted the tithe as a method of insuring that His people would set aside annual time to enjoy His blessings, remember His faithfulness and acknowledge His love for those less fortunate. One can easily see how beautiful and wonderful this system is, and yet how distorted and manipulative it has become.

Speaking of which, let us now turn our thoughts to modern Christianity's version of this divinely instituted practice beginning with what has become the cornerstone passage for its defense--Malachi chapter 3.

The Matter of Malachi

"Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. "But you ask, 'How do we rob you?' "In tithes and offerings.

You are under a curse-- the whole nation of you-- because you are robbing me. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house.

Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.

Is it true that the Lord is addressing the mishandling of the tithe in this passage? Yes. And is it true that He delivers a strong rebuke and speaks of a curse for their errors? Most certainly! However, the important question is, to whom is He speaking? To find this out we must look at Malachi 2:1, which reads, "And now this commandment is for you, O priests." For although Malachi begins as a general address to Israel, from this point on to the end of the book Malachi is addressing only the sons of Levi.

You see it was they who had defiled the nation by robbing the Lord, for they were spending the tithe on themselves and neglecting the alien, orphan and widow. Indeed, the all to familiar verse 9 is not saying that the whole nation is robbing God; rather the priests were robbing not only God but all of Israel as well! For in as much as they neglected the alien, orphan and widow, they brought a curse on the whole nation effectively robbing them of the blessing of God.

Remember, only the third-year tithe went into the storehouse. Therefore, it is only that portion of the three-year cycle to which the Lord is referring: the portion over which the priest held responsibility. How ironic that the passage of scripture so widely used to validate and impose the practice of tithing is actually speaking against those who collect them!

And What of Abraham?

There is also the matter of Abraham, the father of faith, who is said to have instituted the concept of tithing in his giving 10% of war spoils to Melchizedek, with the New Testament proof text for this argument being the discourse in Hebrews chapter 7. But what truly is the point of this passage? Is it really saying that, since Abraham paid tithes we should also? Remember, the writer of Hebrews is arguing in favor of a new covenant and priesthood that does away with the old. Would it make sense then to reinvigorate practices under the old covenant when the purpose was to substantiate the replacing of the old with the new? Indeed, an unfiltered reading will support the fact that the writer is effectively invalidating the old covenant, with its associated practices, by showing that Abraham, acting as the representative of all who believe, has tithed once and for all - for Levi, even for you and I!

Unfortunately, the somewhat ambiguous nature of the Hebrews passage, gives rise to debate and speculation. And though most scholars agree that Abraham was not intentionally tithing since the law was more than 500 years distant, there is simply not enough information to establish doctrine either way. Historical records indicate that the practice of sharing a percentage of the spoil with spiritual figureheads was customary in Sumerian culture - a culture in which Abram was immersed. Still, there is no way to mount a conclusive argument. What we do know is clearly articulated in Deuteronomy when God instituted the practice throughout Israel. Beyond that we are simply exercising our opinion.

Conclusion

"So then brother," you may now be asking, "what is the Lord's will concerning tithes and offerings?" What an excellent question, with such a simple answer.

Remember, the tithe was a mandate imposed upon a people who did not have the Spirit of God dwelling inside them. They required a Law written in stone, for their hearts, not as yet transformed, were incapable of having the Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus written on them. We, having been indwelt by the Spirit of Christ, have no need for the Law. Rather, we walk in His life and we give as liberally as we wish. As our dear brother Paul has said in 2 Corinthians 9:7:

"Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

Am I then saying that tithing is not a New Testament principle? Absolutely!

However, even if it were, the modern Christian paradigm regarding its purpose and practice would still be grossly errant. Simply put, the tithe was always for the people: be they tither, alien, orphan or widow. So then what has God revealed as His nature and intention in this matter? First, that we should feel free to enjoy the blessings of the Lord and celebrate Him according to our abundance. Second, that there should be no poor or needy amongst us for the Lord has blessed us that we might be a blessing.

Remember, the law was crucified in Christ Jesus, and He has become the end of the law for all who believe. We are, therefore, no longer constrained or directed by a set of rules, but by His Spirit. And since the Spirit of Christ dwells within us we no longer need an earthly law to direct our generosity. Rather, we walk by His Spirit, giving as He provides and directs, thereby fulfilling the law, not by our adherence to it, but by our living of it.

Beloved, there is much more to consider with regard to this matter but this is a good stopping point to allow for study, prayer and meditation. In part 2, we will consider the questions of "Why?" and "How?" the doctrine of tithing has become so prevelant in modern Christianity.
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 9:51pm On Feb 06, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

It is obvious you still allow your flesh to rule over you! Why do you allow the paying of tithes, First Fruits and Offerings bother you at all? Did the bible ever say those who do such will end up in the lake of fire? Or will those who choose to do so end up sinning against God? If the answer is No, so why not leave it to those who choose to do it?

It is folks like you who can not open their mouth to preach Jesus the Christ and His saving power to others, yet would come into forums and start topics that you are Spiritually unlearned about!

May God through His Holy Spirit open your eyes of understanding! But let me tell you this: If in 2012 you experience a dryness like you never did in your life, know it is for the purpose of what you did here!

And did the Bible say those who dont pay will not see increase in their lives? So why hammer on it that those who dont pay tithes and offerings will not see increase in their lives. Why are you deceiving people?
If anyone does not pay tithe, leave the person alone and dont condemn the person to a life of poverty simply becos he didnt pay his tithe. Giving to the poor and for the work of the kingdom brings increase into your life, and this is done willingly from the heart, not becos you were scared into doing it every Sunday which is not even in the Bible.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 9:55pm On Feb 06, 2012
emmanbol:

the standard of the lord standeth sure, we should not use human calculation to explain the things of God
this kingdom is theocracy and nt democracy.
jesus made it known that we shud pay tithes in the gospel when he was explaining hyprocracy of the jews, paying tithes of even vegetables, and other minute things but didnt exhibit one of the important instruction of jesus
we should be careful with d way we respond to question as regards christian issues.
ask for explainations from the holyghost b4 we post here.
it is well

Pls where did Jesus say we should pay tithe, pls I would be so glad to see it. And in case you dont even know, new testament started after the death and ressurection of Jesus cos that is when we were redeemed.
When Jesus was still here on earth, people were still living in the old testament becos His blood had not yet cleansed us. If you doubt this fact, say so and I will give u instances from the Bible.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 9:56pm On Feb 06, 2012
@Omo Tier1:

You don't understand the Bible any more than you understand what I have been saying.  

I REPEAT:  The New Testament teaches generous, sacrificial giving, from the heart, according to our means. For some, $1 might be a sacrifice, while for others, even giving 50% of their income might not induce a sacrifice. In the Old Testament, ONLY the farmers tithed, and it was equal percentage (a tenth). The New Testament teaches the principle of equal sacrifice instead of equal percentage. Equal sacrifice is much harder to achieve, if not impossible, than giving ten percent.

Following the teaching of the New Testament, and being SPIRIT LED rather than being led by Old Testament laws, I find myself consistently giving far, far more than a mere tenth of my income.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by obyphy: 10:00pm On Feb 06, 2012
I have not read through all the posts but i have a contribution to make.
There is one thing that standeth sure and that is GOD CANNOT CHANGE AND HIS WORD IS TRUE.

Tithing and all the numerous offerings that MOG's preach today is an unbiblical practice that was revealed to them by the master they serve "their belly".
A critical examination of the scriptures especially in Hebrews 7:

5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

Not even the priests could collect the tithes from the people only the Levites who would then tithe to the priests who are not required to pay anything to anyone.
If we are a royal priesthood then it follows that we are not under obligation to pay any tithe to any man.

The passage continues to explain that the levetical priesthood was insufficient to redeem man and that was why the redeemer was not a descendant of Levi but is a priest forever in the order of Melchizedek.

Having said that, giving is what we are enjoined to do with a cheerful heart. When God commanded the people to give for the building of the Tabernacle in the wilderness on their way to Canaan, the people gave excess out of their own free will and Moses had to give a decree in the camp that they should stop giving.

Anything done without faith is Sin. If the Spirit convicts you to give a tenth of your income, please do so cheerfully. If he convicts you to give 100percent, please do, God will surely provide for you if it is done out of obedience to the Spirit.
I did not give tithes for a long time because i wasn't convinced it is a new testament ordinance. I am still not convinced. however, i have been convicted to give a tenth of my income to the church and i am doing so not bothered about what the pastors are doing. Everyman will face his own judgement and Condemnation. I will be condemned if I disobey the conviction of the spirit.

If God has established a church, he is able to provide for it and meet all the needs ( not wants) that may arise. If he did it in the life of Muller, he can still do it today.

God bless you all.

1 Like

Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by emmanbol: 10:03pm On Feb 06, 2012
Pls where did Jesus say we should pay tithe, pls I would be so glad to see it. And in case you dont even know, new testament started after the death and ressurection of Jesus cos that is when we were redeemed.
When Jesus was still here on earth, people were still living in the old testament becos His blood had not yet cleansed us. If you doubt this fact, say so and I will give u instances from the Bible.

this is taking a new turn anyway from you
as regards d bible chapter matt 23:23 is the place
for d new testament, those that believd in jesus were washed and saved already
jesus is the lamb of God slain from the foundation of the world.
let the holyghost explain more.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by emmanbol: 10:10pm On Feb 06, 2012
wht abt mal. 3:10
wht is the explanation that we want again
It is an act that unlocks the financial flow to those that does such faithfully
beware of educational, technological, intellectual demons
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 10:11pm On Feb 06, 2012
people like @OmoTier1 has been so brainwashed and indoctrinated that it is impossible for them to even consider any other angle. I dont blame her though, it was a battle for me to come to terms with it as well.
When you have been taught same thing all your life, it becomes a battle to undo it and accept a new truth.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by staggerman(m): 10:12pm On Feb 06, 2012
In the Name of our Lord and King (the beginning and end of material and immaterial worlds), greetings be unto you all.

Few points to note:
When the Gospel was to be brought to the gentiles (of whom you once belonged in the flesh by birth), so they may be en grafted into the Lord (by new birth through believing the Gospel), the apostles met to discuss and come to a conclusion on what was the Lord's will for them.  Obviously there were some who believed the gentiles ought also to keep the laws of Moses (which included tithes, first fruits, circumcision, burnt offerings etc).

Acts 15:7-11
7 After much discussion, Peter got up and addressed them: "Brothers, you know that some time ago God made a choice among you that the Gentiles might hear from my lips the message of the gospel and believe. 8 God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us. 9 He made no distinction between us and them, for he purified their hearts by faith. 10 Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of the disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear? 11 No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are."
NIV

Acts 15:19-32
"It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. 20 Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood. 21 For Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath."

22 Then the apostles and elders, with the whole church, decided to choose some of their own men and send them to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas. They chose Judas (called Barsabbas) and Silas, two men who were leaders among the brothers. 23 With them they sent the following letter:

The apostles and elders, your brothers,

To the Gentile believers in Antioch, Syria and Cilicia:

Greetings.
24 We have heard that some went out from us without our authorization and disturbed you, troubling your minds by what they said. 25 So we all agreed to choose some men and send them to you with our dear friends Barnabas and Paul— 26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 Therefore we are sending Judas and Silas to confirm by word of mouth what we are writing. 28 It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: 29 You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things.

Farewell.

30 The men were sent off and went down to Antioch, where they gathered the church together and delivered the letter. 31 [b]The people read it and were glad for its encouraging message.
[/b]NIV
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by cintia(f): 10:15pm On Feb 06, 2012
In this article I intend to examine an aspect of this idealism that is either avoided or simply unknown. For in as much as many have undertaken the argument of whether tithing is a valid practice under the new covenant, an issue I leave to the discretion of each individual, few have considered the purpose for which God initially instituted the tithe. Ironically, the purpose of tithing proves to be a more fascinating and understandable than the circular, often ambiguous arguments of its validity. So then let's begin with a careful examination of the institution of tithing by the Lord in Deuteronomy, and then consider several modern positions of the practice in light of what we discover.

First, it is necessary to understand that tithing took on two distinct forms depending on the period of Israel's history that you consider. While in the wilderness the Lord commanded that the entire tithe should go to the sons of Levi in return for their service at the tent of meeting (Num. 18:11). However, when Israel settled in Canaan God, redefined the practice of tithing since the lifestyle of the people and their subsequent interaction with the priests and Levites markedly changed. It is this second form of tithing that the current practice is supposedly modeled after and therefore becomes the subject of our enquiry.

We find its institution in Deuteronomy 14 immediately as Israel is preparing to cross the Jordan and enter Canaan. Now I will warn you, the scripture you are about to read will challenge your current understanding of this popular Christian paradigm. It is a direct quote from the New American Standard version and only the emphasis of certain words has been added.

You shall surely tithe all the produce from what you sow, which comes out of the field every year.

You shall eat in the presence of the Lord you God, at the place where He chooses to establish His name, the tithe of your grain, your new wine, your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and your flock, so that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always.

If the distance is so great for you that you are not able to bring the tithe, since the place where the Lord your God chooses to set His name is to far away from you when the Lord your God blesses you, then you shall exchange it for money, and bind the money in your hand and go to the place where the Lord your God chooses.

You may spend the money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen, or sheep, or wine, or strong drink, or whatever your heart desires; and there you shall eat in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household. (Deuteronomy 14:22-26)

Before we continue you may want to read this passage again. In fact you may want to read it out of your own Bible just to verify that I quoted it correctly. When you are sufficiently satisfied that it really does read this way, I encourage you to read on.

In verse 22 it is clear that the Lord is commanding Israel to tithe saying, "You shall surely tithe…" However in the next three verses He clearly articulates His intended purpose for the tithe; an even cursory reading of which reveals a conflict with the current paradigm of the tithe. So striking is the contrast that an honest student of the Word must ask the following questions:

Who does the Lord say should eat the tithe?
And who has control over the usage of the tithe?

Without question the answer is, the tither, "…so that (they) may learn to fear the Lord (their) God always." In fact the Lord even sanctions the tither to convert his or her tithe into money and subsequently ", spend the money on whatever (their) heart desires"!

How can this be! Have we not been taught that the tithe belongs to the storehouse so that there might be meat in God's house? Have we not also been taught that we will be cursed if we eat our tithe? And have we not been taught that we learn to trust, or fear, the Lord by giving our tithe away, not by consuming it ourselves?

Yet God Himself commanded that the tithe be eaten by the tither, and that in so doing they would learn to fear the Lord. He even went so far as to sanction the purchase of strong drink with tithe money for the express consumption of the tither!

Pause and Think

What do you make of this passage in the light of modern Christian teaching? Is it possible the current paradigm is flawed? Could it be that the current teaching is filled with enough truth to sound biblical, but in reality is designed to bring believers back under the Law. Most importantly, would you be willing to reconsider your position on this paradigm and judge its validity by the Word? If so, read on.

Let's begin by examining this opening passage, for it seems to stand in direct opposition to the current paradigm of the tithe. In verse 22 it is clear that the Lord is commanding Israel to tithe saying, "You shall surely tithe…" However the next three verses express His purpose for the tithe. Who does He say should eat the tithe? You! It is to be eaten by the tither, "…so that (they) may learn to fear the Lord (their) God always." In fact the Lord even sanctions the tither to convert his or her tithe into money and subsequently ", spend the money on whatever (their) heart desires"!

How can this be! We've been taught that the tithe belongs to the storehouse so that there might be meat in God's house. We've been taught that we will be cursed if we eat our tithe. We've been taught that we learn to trust, or fear, the Lord by giving our tithe away, not by consuming it ourselves. And yet God Himself commanded that the tithe be eaten by the tither, and that in so doing they would learn to fear the Lord.

The Lord's Mind Regarding The Tithe

To truly understand the Lord's mind concerning the tithe we must examine His instructions to Israel in their application of this practice. If you read the rest of Deuteronomy 14 you see that there was actually a three-year cycle of tithing. The first two years were to be used as a celebratory feast by each individual family and the third year the tithe was to be given to the Levite, who would then redistribute it to the alien, the orphan and the widow. Deuteronomy 26:12 further clarifies this point saying,

When you have finished paying all the tithe of your increase in the third year, the year of tithing, then you shall give it to the Levite, to the stranger to the orphan, and to the widow, that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied.

So then there is a distributive aspect to tithing, however the guidelines are very clear: for two years the tithe is yours to consume and the third year it is given to someone who will redistribute the tithe to the stranger, orphan and widow. To further clarify the matter, the Lord indicates that the two-years tithe is to be used for a feast or celebration or, one could even argue, a vacation. For did not the Lord sanction the conversion of the tithe into money and then allow the tither to "…spend the money on whatever their heart desired." Then the third-year tithe would insure that the storehouse would be full so that strangers, orphans and widows would be properly cared for. And since each family would be on a different harvesting cycle the overall effect is that feasting, celebration and giving were perpetual within Israel.

Indeed, it becomes obvious that the Lord instituted the tithe as a method of insuring that His people would set aside annual time to enjoy His blessings, remember His faithfulness and acknowledge His love for those less fortunate. One can easily see how beautiful and wonderful this system is, and yet how distorted and manipulative it has become.

Speaking of which, let us now turn our thoughts to modern Christianity's version of this divinely instituted practice beginning with what has become the cornerstone passage for its defense--Malachi chapter 3.

The Matter of Malachi

"Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. "But you ask, 'How do we rob you?' "In tithes and offerings.

You are under a curse-- the whole nation of you-- because you are robbing me. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house.

Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.

Is it true that the Lord is addressing the mishandling of the tithe in this passage? Yes. And is it true that He delivers a strong rebuke and speaks of a curse for their errors? Most certainly! However, the important question is, to whom is He speaking? To find this out we must look at Malachi 2:1, which reads, "And now this commandment is for you, O priests." For although Malachi begins as a general address to Israel, from this point on to the end of the book Malachi is addressing only the sons of Levi.

You see it was they who had defiled the nation by robbing the Lord, for they were spending the tithe on themselves and neglecting the alien, orphan and widow. Indeed, the all to familiar verse 9 is not saying that the whole nation is robbing God; rather the priests were robbing not only God but all of Israel as well! For in as much as they neglected the alien, orphan and widow, they brought a curse on the whole nation effectively robbing them of the blessing of God.

Remember, only the third-year tithe went into the storehouse. Therefore, it is only that portion of the three-year cycle to which the Lord is referring: the portion over which the priest held responsibility. How ironic that the passage of scripture so widely used to validate and impose the practice of tithing is actually speaking against those who collect them!

And What of Abraham?

There is also the matter of Abraham, the father of faith, who is said to have instituted the concept of tithing in his giving 10% of war spoils to Melchizedek, with the New Testament proof text for this argument being the discourse in Hebrews chapter 7. But what truly is the point of this passage? Is it really saying that, since Abraham paid tithes we should also? Remember, the writer of Hebrews is arguing in favor of a new covenant and priesthood that does away with the old. Would it make sense then to reinvigorate practices under the old covenant when the purpose was to substantiate the replacing of the old with the new? Indeed, an unfiltered reading will support the fact that the writer is effectively invalidating the old covenant, with its associated practices, by showing that Abraham, acting as the representative of all who believe, has tithed once and for all - for Levi, even for you and I!

Unfortunately, the somewhat ambiguous nature of the Hebrews passage, gives rise to debate and speculation. And though most scholars agree that Abraham was not intentionally tithing since the law was more than 500 years distant, there is simply not enough information to establish doctrine either way. Historical records indicate that the practice of sharing a percentage of the spoil with spiritual figureheads was customary in Sumerian culture - a culture in which Abram was immersed. Still, there is no way to mount a conclusive argument. What we do know is clearly articulated in Deuteronomy when God instituted the practice throughout Israel. Beyond that we are simply exercising our opinion.

Conclusion

"So then brother," you may now be asking, "what is the Lord's will concerning tithes and offerings?" What an excellent question, with such a simple answer.

Remember, the tithe was a mandate imposed upon a people who did not have the Spirit of God dwelling inside them. They required a Law written in stone, for their hearts, not as yet transformed, were incapable of having the Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus written on them. We, having been indwelt by the Spirit of Christ, have no need for the Law. Rather, we walk in His life and we give as liberally as we wish. As our dear brother Paul has said in 2 Corinthians 9:7:

"Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

Am I then saying that tithing is not a New Testament principle? Absolutely!

However, even if it were, the modern Christian paradigm regarding its purpose and practice would still be grossly errant. Simply put, the tithe was always for the people: be they tither, alien, orphan or widow. So then what has God revealed as His nature and intention in this matter? First, that we should feel free to enjoy the blessings of the Lord and celebrate Him according to our abundance. Second, that there should be no poor or needy amongst us for the Lord has blessed us that we might be a blessing.

Remember, the law was crucified in Christ Jesus, and He has become the end of the law for all who believe. We are, therefore, no longer constrained or directed by a set of rules, but by His Spirit. And since the Spirit of Christ dwells within us we no longer need an earthly law to direct our generosity. Rather, we walk by His Spirit, giving as He provides and directs, thereby fulfilling the law, not by our adherence to it, but by our living of it.

Beloved, there is much more to consider with regard to this matter but this is a good stopping point to allow for study, prayer and meditation.

2 Likes

Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by xcolanto(m): 10:26pm On Feb 06, 2012
Been stumbling across this topic and felt the need to share my humble opinion, some say where did jesus say give tithes and first fruits in the bible, while I cannot dig such scriptures if ineed there are any, I would like to place the emphasis more on what has been practised over the years as regarding first fruits. Now great men that applied this principle of giving their first fruit to God lived and enjoyed life to the fullest, one of such men is king solomon, that gave his first fruit in terms of offerings and burnt offerings as observed in his time to glorify God and we all are familiar with his rewards as the wisest and richest king that ever lived and would live, This was also evident in the story and movie of king solomons mines. Also we have abraham who was willing to lay down his son (first fruit) to God as an offering but God saw his heart and let him keep his son. Offcourse till today his name still exists in the lips of men as he was crowned to be the father of all nations. To sum it all up, we have the alpha and omega (God the father) who laid down his son jesus (first fruit) that we may be saved from death (the soul) and given enternal life to all who believe in him. And today we can see the glory of God (his mercies to be precise) in all that we do. Hence its not mainly about where its written or not but observing and studying the word of God to apply the principles that cannot be compromised as long as they are applied with faith in God. Now some of the comments here are sickening because those that don't have strong faith and believe but are willing or do practise first fruit giving would begin to re-consider observing it! Shame
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by alienkind: 10:33pm On Feb 06, 2012
Make una go pay tithe ooooo.I hear from many people wey e die say,angel open tithe
record o.a word is enough for the wise.Hebrews 7:8 And here men that die receive tithes;
but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by alienkind: 10:39pm On Feb 06, 2012
hebrews 5:6 And he says in another place,
"You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek."
Abraham pay tithe to Melchizedek and this verse say Jesus
na priest forever after the order of this man,that means tithe fit
be forever o.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 10:43pm On Feb 06, 2012
xcolanto:

Been stumbling across this topic and felt the need to share my humble opinion, some say where did jesus say give tithes and first fruits in the bible, while I cannot dig such scriptures if ineed there are any, I would like to place the emphasis more on what has been practised over the years as regarding first fruits. Now great men that applied this principle of giving their first fruit to God lived and enjoyed life to the fullest, one of such men is king solomon, that gave his first fruit in terms of offerings and burnt offerings as observed in his time to glorify God and we all are familiar with his rewards as the wisest and richest king that ever lived and would live,  This was also evident in the story and movie of king solomons mines. Also we have abraham who was willing to lay down his son (first fruit) to God as an offering but God saw his heart and let him keep his son. Offcourse till today his name still exists in the lips of men as he was crowned to be the father of all nations. To sum it all up, we have the alpha and omega (God the father) who laid down his son jesus (first fruit) that we may be saved from death (the soul) and given enternal life to all who believe in him. And today we can see the glory of God (his mercies to be precise) in all that we do. Hence its not mainly about where its written or not but observing and studying the word of God to apply the principles that cannot be compromised as long as they are applied with faith in God. Now some of the comments here are sickening because those that don't have strong faith and believe but are willing or do practise first fruit giving would begin to re-consider observing it! Shame

You mentioned Solomon and Abraham, FYI we are not under the same dispensation as them. Jesus did not die for them and they were not under grace like we are today.
Abraham and Solomon made animal sacrifices to God which God accepted, why dont we do the same today just like they did.

Giving is voluntary and from the heart to the poor and for the work of the kingdom, not out of necessity or fear on a weekly basis like many want us to believe. And not paying tithe does not mean the person will not prosper like some like to preach. There are many who dont pay tithes and they are blessed on a daily basis.
Give and it shall be given unto you is the rule.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 10:53pm On Feb 06, 2012
Jesus after "order of" Melchizedek. Do you understand what "order of" means?

The following numbers are "in order": 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

After the "order of" Melchizedek means that it is treated as though there was no Levitical priesthood. Hebrews 7:18 tells us the Levitical priesthood, which included tithing, was DISANNULLED. In other words, it is treated as though there never was a Levitical priesthood. Therefore, we go from the priesthood of Melchizedek to the current priesthood. That all "in the order of" means. Jesus following, in order, Melchizedek. HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TITHING. Hebrews 7:18 tells us that Numbers 18 was disannulled. Therefore, NO MORE TITHING.

Biblical historians AGREE that during the days of Abraham, and even before the days of Abraham, it was CUSTOM to tithe war spoils to a king.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by xcolanto(m): 11:00pm On Feb 06, 2012
Solomon and Abraham are human just as we are, and here am laying emphasis on the principle they observed which is first fruiting and it worked for them just fine! the idea of Jesus dying for them or not is another topic all together. Now am sure no one here has forced you to observe first fruiting, hopefully undecided  and as i clearly stated what i wrote in my former post was my own opinion  cool. @FXKing2012
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Jay5000(m): 11:10pm On Feb 06, 2012
From the above arguments, it is safe to conclude that @OmoTier1 is either a pastor (and a direct beneficiary of tithing) or is an ignoramus with a sub-70 IQ that is incapable of any level of critical thinking. Despite the fact that there's ample evidence to to support the fact that ''tithing'' is being used by most pastors today to manipulate and fleece the flock for their own personal aggrandizement, this Nigerian keeps arguing blindly and pouring out strategic threats to intimidate people. Know this; if you refuse to stand up against evil, it'll only be a matter of time before it consumes you. If you keep silent when pastors manipulate people with scripture, loot church funds and defile our daughters and sisters, and shield themselves with the "touch not my anointed" bible verse, it'll not be long before that evil comes around. Who knows, maybe when your daughter or someone dear to you becomes a victim of this travesty; this mockery of true Christianity that you so desperately defend, you might have a change of heart.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 11:13pm On Feb 06, 2012
Those who say the first tithe, or Levitical tithe, was observed during the wilderness (exodus) are not correct.

God gave the Israelites manna to eat during the Exodus.  Would have been no need to give the Levites food from crops and animals during that time.

Malachi 3:10 (KJV)  Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Until the Temple was built, there was no storehouse.

Nehemiah 10:37-38 (KJV)
37And that we should bring the firstfruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the chambers of the house of our God; and the tithes of our ground unto the Levites, that the same Levites might have the tithes in all the cities of our tillage.
38And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.

In Nehemiah 10:37 we learn that the firstfruits were taken to the temple for the priests, and the tithes were taken to the Levites who lived in the Levitical cities. Therefore, we see that firstfruits have nothing to do with the tithe.

In Nehemiah 10:38 we learn that the Levites would take a tithe of the tithe to the Temple. It is this tithe, the tithe from the Levites, that went to the storehouse, not the tithe from the people. This is important to remember when we study Malachi 3:10.

The Festival tithe in Deut. 14:22-27 was not taken to the storehouse.  The Poor tithe in Deut. 14:28-29 stayed within thy gates; therefore, it also was not taken to the storehouse.  The ONLY tithe which any part of went into the storehouse was the Levitical tithe.

OLD TESTAMENT
Proverbs 3:9 (KJV) “Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:”

NEW TESTAMENT
2 Timothy 2:6 (KJV) “The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.”

1 Timothy 5:8 (KJV) “But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.”

The New Testament makes it clear that we are to use the FIRST of our income to take care of ourselves and our family.  We are talking about needs, here, not just anything we want.  Then we should give generously from what is left.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 11:16pm On Feb 06, 2012
Proverbs 3:9 (KJV) “Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:”

The verse reads HONOUR the Lord with thy substance (wealth), not give to the Lord your wealth. The verse does not say honour the Lord with a tenth of your wealth, or give to the Lord a tenth of your wealth.

How does one honor the Lord with their wealth? I believe the best way I can honor the Lord with my wealth is to be a good steward of that wealth and use it to glorify the Lord the best I can.

The verse reads AND with the firstfruits of all thine increase. In other words, HONOUR the Lord with the firstfruits of all your produce, or crops (Hebrew word definition). Doesn’t say give to the Lord the firstfruits of your produce, or crops. That comes later in the Word.

For those who say that all thine increase can also mean all your income, read the next verse:

Proverbs 3:10 (KJV) “So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.”

Verse 10 makes it clear that increase in verse 9 is referring to the crops and not income.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Amacaco: 11:47pm On Feb 06, 2012
Jesus once told the pharisees and Saducees that they were in error because they do not know the scriptures. even though the pharisees and  saducees were religious leaders they though they knew the scriptures so well and more than others. That assumption made them grossly ignorant of spiritual issues which they claim to know. That is exactly what we have seen from the  kind of comments people  have made on this topic. I will like to quote from a chapter on tithing in a book I wrote some time ago
"So much controversy have been generated these days as to the importance and relevance of tithes in worship today in view of the fact that it was a requirement of the law in the former dispensation and that there is no evidence to show that the early church or believers in the New Testament were made to pay tithes. It is further argued that those institutions such as the Levites and priests who received the tithes under the Old Testament no longer exist as a result of the accomplished work of Christ on the cross. Others further insist that payment of tithe is a big burden on the church members, many of whom are poor and are finding it difficult to make ends meet. The point is also made that if believers are to pay anything at all, there should be no rigidity as to the proportion of one’s income to be paid and that whoever would want to pay more than one-tenth should do so while those willing to pay less than one tenth should exercise similar freedom as well. These arguments and issues therefore raise the question of whether tithing is necessary and relevant in the New Testament.
The point must be made here that the principle of tithing continued in the New Testament as it still formed part of Jewish and Christian worship. As we have already seen, tithing existed before the law was introduced under Moses. Abraham tithed because as a man of faith and friend of God, he knew the will of God and what it means to do what is right and just, and showed his willingness to please him. He did pass on this teaching of tithe payment to his children and grand children because he had been chosen, so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just, so that the Lord will bring about for him what he has promised . Abraham the father of faith, who is recorded in the bible as the first person to pay tithe is the father of all those who, in the New Testament, have believed in God through Christ.  So having been justified by faith in Christ we have become sons of God through this faith in Christ Jesus and if we belong to Christ, then we are Abraham’s seed and heirs according to the promise.  As children of Abraham, Christians should learn to tithe as Abraham did and taught his children to do.
Secondly, before and under the law, these offerings and tithes were made to God and to him alone while the Levites and priests who received them did so on his behalf. With particular reference to tithes, God declared
"A tithe of every thing from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord".

If God therefore appropriates to himself, rightfully and justifiably too, only one tenth of what he has given to us, why should any person complain? Moreover, there is no part of the scriptures that says he is no longer interested in our tithes and that he has abrogated this requirement. Our Lord Jesus Christ declared that we should not think that he has come to abolish the law or the prophets, rather he has come to fulfil them.   Jesus came to perfect the law of which tithing was one of them. Jesus supported it and said it should not be neglected . However, payment of tithe or adherence to it should not be at the expense of other important issues relevant to our faith and relationship with others, which includes justice, mercy and faithfulness. The two must go together.
"Woe to you; teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices- mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law- justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practised the latter without neglecting the former." Matthew 23:23
According to D. Also Brook,
Someone has said that Abraham commenced it, Moses commanded it, Jesus commended it, so who are we to cancel it

Thirdly, the Levites and the priests received these tithes on God’s behalf for the work they were called to do in the household of God. They had no inheritance in Israel, as God was their inheritance.   In very simple language, God paid the salary, wages and allowances of his workers from these tithes and offerings. While the Levites performed auxiliary ministry for the priests, looking after the tabernacle and
later the temple, the priest chosen from the Levites had the responsibility of serving in
the sanctuary by offering sacrifices and conducting worship, teaching the people the law and uttering oracles from the Lord. “Aaron and his children after him were chosen as priests and set apart by God to consecrate the most holy things, to offer sacrifices before the Lord, to minister before him and to pronounce blessings in his name for ever.”  Their work was, geographically speaking, limited only to the nation Israel. In the New Testament however, a new and different generation of Levites and priests with a responsibility wider in scope, content and quality came into existence. Jesus told his disciples that they would do greater work than he himself had done while on earth.  Apostle Peter called these generation of Levites and priests  “ a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God…”  and they are to declare the praises of him who called them out of darkness into his wonderful light. God has by the death of Christ reconciled the church to himself and given it the ministry of reconciliation.  Therefore the nature of the work of the church today as Christ’s ambassadors, is to preach this gospel of reconciliation to the world. To this chosen people and new priesthood, Christ assigned the work of going to make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit and teaching them to obey everything he has commanded them.  This work was to start in Jerusalem and get to the end of the world.  The point being made here is that even under the New Testament the work of God did not cease but increased in nature, quality, message, scope, geographical area and urgency. The work requires more labourers than was the case with the priestly and Levitical order. And to those to do this work he said
Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. Do not take along any gold, or silver, or copper in your belts; take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic, or sandals or a staff; for the worker is worth his keep.
Because he knows the need to maintain this great army of Levites and priests in the New Testament church, he therefore commanded that those who preach the gospel should eat from the gospel.  So he has assigned the tithes and offerings that are made to him to the church which is his body and representative on earth. In the church are the apostles, ministers, pastors, evangelists, prophets, missionaries, teachers, church workers and many other preachers of the gospel who like the priests from the tribe of Levi are called of God fully into his service. So also do we have the poor and the needy in the churches that in the Old Testament were also taken care of from the tithes.
Fourthly, even under the Old Testament, there were several other kinds of offerings made to God and neither of these offerings took the place of tithes. In the same way, our payment of tithes cannot stop anyone from giving other offerings even more than ten percent of his income to God as a freewill offering and neither should these offerings take the place of tithe which God has specifically appropriated to himself out of our income. The compulsory offerings and sacrifices never took the place of other offerings in the Old Testament and neither do they take their place today. That was why God told the Israelites
These offerings are in addition to those for the Lord’s Sabbaths and in addition to your gifts and whatever you have vowed and all the freewill offerings you give to the Lord.
Several other Christian writers have commented upon the importance and relevance of tithing. W.F. Kumuyi concludes
The doctrine and principle of tithing is timeless. Tithing was not only an Old Testament principle and practice. It is for everyone in every age and dispensation. It was neither instituted by the dispensation of law nor terminated by the dispensation of grace. It was neither given by Moses, nor abrogated by Jesus Christ."
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by brandk: 12:18am On Feb 07, 2012
SUMMARY - ABOUT TITHE

I think tithe is the main issue of the debate here

1, About the law (of Moses). There are moral laws and there are ceremonial laws. The ceremonial laws are the ones to be done away with. Jesus came, and by his sacrificial death He fulfilled the Prophets (prophecies) and the requirements of the ceremonial laws. So the moral laws are not to be taken away. Please read about the rich young man who asked what he needed to do to enter Gods kingdom. Matthew 19:16-20. Jesus gave him two main answers; the commandments and when the young man pressed further, Jesus introduced him to giving.

2. Tithe did not start with the law of Moses. Abraham paid tithe. Jacob vowed to pay tithe (to give THE TENTH, ). Pls read Gen 14:20, Gen 28:22.  Therefore paying tithe predates the law of Moses

3. Jesus spoke about tithe.  Matthew 23:23. Note what Jesus said. They have their priority wrong. The weightier matter of the (moral) law includes justice, mercy and faith. To even consider tithe at all YOU MUST FIRST CONSIDER THE MATTER OF RIGHTEOUSNESS ( right living) i.e mercy, faith and justice. If you are not born again and you pay tithe you can't still buy your way to God's kingdom.  Or if you are A ROBBER AND CORRUPT OFFICIAL STEALING TO PAY TITHE - NO PLACE WITH GOD FOR YOU. EVEN IF YOU HAVE MALICE AND YOU BRING YOUR GIFT TO THE ALTAR, JESUS SAID BE RECONCILED WITH YOUR BROTHER FIRST BEFORE YOU SUBMIT YOUR GIFT (WHICH INCLUDES TITHES) TO GOD. But Jesus went further to show that tithe is secondary to right living BUT NOT TO BE DISMISSED as unnecessary; These ought ye to have done AND NOT LEAVE THE OTHER UNDONE - A 'small' disobedience is still disobedience. Hence Matthew 5: 16-20 can then be put in proper context. Breaking the least of Gods commandment will not make your righteousness exceed that of the Pharisees who were careful enough to observe tithe, and therefore you cant secure a place in God's kingdom.

4. I agree that the misuse of God's offerings are making men to abhor them. God will never let those ministers escape the due judgement. Read 1 Samuel 2:17. And like He judged Eli and his sons, God will not fail to bring about the right judgement. So that the offering of God is being abused should not discourage giving. If you find it too uncomfortable, find missionary agencies who win souls in rural communities (and you are certain they advance the gospel to the poor). Support them. This is a suggestion but you will also be supporting the great commission to take the gospel to the unreached world. Thanks
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 2:08am On Feb 07, 2012
@Amacaco,

Your book is a bunch of made-up baloney.

You said that Abram tithed because "he knew the will of God, "  The scriptures do not say that. 

You also said "He did pass on this teaching of tithe payment to his children and grand children, "  If that were true, why would Jacob try to bargain with God?  Why didn't Jacob just tithe?  Why is there absolutely NO scriptures showing anyone tithing after Abram's ONE-TIME tenth of war spoils until the Mosaic law?  You are making up a good story to convince innocent Christians to part with a tenth of their money.  Shame on you.

In Numbers 18 God GAVE His tithes to the Levites, and commanded them to give a tenth of the tithes to the priests.  SHOW ME WHERE GOD EVER GAVE HIS TITHE TO ANY PASTOR OR CHRISTIAN CHURCH.

You said, "As children of Abraham, Christians should learn to tithe as Abraham did, "

You don't tithe AS ABRAHAM DID.  There is NO scripture showing Abraham ever tithing on his income.  It was a ONE-TIME event.  Of war spoils.  AND HE KEPT NOTHING FOR HIMSELF.  Do you also keep nothing for yourself?  If not, you aren't following Abraham's example.

"A tithe of every thing from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord".   Read that verse again.  Does it say income from the sale of those items?  NO.  The tithe was from the ASSETS themselves, not the income.  There is NO example in the scriptures of wage earners tithing.  The poor RECEIVED a portion of the tithe, not pay a tithe.

Just more false teaching.  And I tell you, YOU will be held accountable for all this garbage you are spreading around.

There are no Levites in the Christian Church. 

You just make up things to suit your own purpose.  You have re-written God's Word to where it is now man's word.  You will be held accountable for this false teaching.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 2:11am On Feb 07, 2012
Anyone using Matthew 23:23 to show that Jesus commended tithing doesn't understand that the New Covenant didn't begin until AFTER Jesus died on the cross. Jesus was speaking to those still under the law. Notice Jesus said they ought to tithe on their herbs. But Jesus never said they ought to tithe on their income from their professions as teachers and lawyers.

When will the lies stop! Tithing will be the downfall of the Protestant Church if this crap doesn't stop.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by KDK(m): 6:41am On Feb 07, 2012
Cintia, I like dat,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

5 Things some Christians Wish Jesus Didn't Say / Pastor Bakare Attacks Patience Jonathan / Can Someone Be A Witch Without Being Aware?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 185
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.