Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,327 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:53 AM

Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? (42223 Views)

Cash Crunch: Tithes, Offerings Drop In Churches / "First-Fruits": Pastors Are Planning A Major Robbery In January / COZA Introduces Online Payment Of Tithes, Offerings, Seeds & Pledges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 7:16am On Feb 07, 2012
Again, the new testaments started after the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus, while Jesus was physically in this world He was teaching them as those living under the law. There is need to understand this. This is quite evident in "the Lord's prayer" which Jesus taught His disciples.
The Lord's prayer says ", Thy kingdom come" which shows His kingdom has not yet come at the time cos He has not been crucified yet. The Lord's prayer also did not end with "in Jesus name". Again this is becos He had not died and risen. The people of that time were not praying in the name of Jesus becos they were still living under the Law.
However everything changed after the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus.

Blessing comes with giving to the poor and for the work of the kingdom, but people should not be scared into paying money every Sunday by telling them they will not be blessed if they dont tithe/pay offering weekly.
There are many who dont tithe and are mightily blessed cos they give to the needy and for the work of the kingdom, and they do it willingly from their hearts. For God loves a cheerful giver.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by drerocker: 9:24am On Feb 07, 2012
I luv my pastor chris,dont u no dat d 1st n 10th belong to God,av u ever tut y we do go chch on sunday instead of satuday?bros wen u filll u r a baby christian daz hw u guys think,i av pass tru n come wt result of dz knd of ur questns.ur 1st son,1st day,1wk,1mnth,1salary anytn 1st belong to God n 10th of ur friuts.bros de r so plenty .
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by ogbo17: 10:17am On Feb 07, 2012
Matt 23:23 -Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Enigma(m): 10:19am On Feb 07, 2012
So Jesus heaped woe on the heads of the people "paying" tithes --- nice. cheesy

cool
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 10:23am On Feb 07, 2012
Jesus didnt heap woe not on tithe payers , he heaped woe on those who neglected mercy and justice.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by yd849ja: 10:23am On Feb 07, 2012
Matt   8:3, And immediately his leprosy was cleansed. 4. See that you tell no one; but go your way, show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.
Here you can see Jesus telling the man to do as Moses commanded that includes tithe and tithe should be paid to the Lord not to help anyone in need. It is sacrosanct. Please stop your heresy and do as the Lord God commands.

drerocker:

I luv my  pastor chris,dont u no dat d 1st n 10th belong to God,av u ever tut y we do go chch on sunday instead of satuday?bros wen u filll u r a baby christian daz hw u guys think,i av pass tru n come wt result of dz knd of ur questns.ur 1st son,1st day,1wk,1mnth,1salary anytn 1st belong to God n 10th of ur friuts.bros de r so plenty .

@derocker like you were suppose to hate anyone at all.  And can you please give a reason why you go to church on sunday with a biblical backings and not what your pastor says please?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Enigma(m): 10:26am On Feb 07, 2012
Joagbaje:

Jesus didnt heap woe not on tithe payers  , he heaped woe on those who neglected mercy and justice.

Exactly, like those saying tithes and firstfruits are not to be given to parents when Jesus said that they can.  wink

Yep Jesus heaped woe on those who neglect mercy and justice in that way.  smiley

cool
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 10:27am On Feb 07, 2012
We must do all. That's the balance that Jesus was passing accros

Luke 11:42
42 "But woe to you Pharisees! For though you are careful to tithe even the smallest part of your income, you completely forget about justice and the love of God. You should tithe, yes, but you should not leave these other things undone.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 10:43am On Feb 07, 2012
yd849ja:

Matt   8:3, And immediately his leprosy was cleansed. 4. See that you tell no one; but go your way, show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.
Here you can see Jesus telling the man to do as Moses commanded that includes tithe and tithe should be paid to the Lord not to help anyone in need. It is sacrosanct. Please stop your heresy and do as the Lord God commands.

Joagbaje:

We must do all. That's the balance that Jesus was passing accros

Luke 11:42
42 "But woe to you Pharisees! For though you are careful to tithe even the smallest part of your income, you completely forget about justice and the love of God. You should tithe, yes, but you should not leave these other things undone.

They were still living under the law of Moses at this point in time, why are u people so dumb to understand this.
Even Jesus mentioned it in Matt 8:3 that ", give gift that Moses commanded". This shows they were still under the law of Moses at this point becos He (Jesus) had not not been crucified. New testament started after the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 10:46am On Feb 07, 2012
^^^^
What of  "Honour thy father and mother" is it done away with ? Was it not under the law?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by bigshow123: 10:48am On Feb 07, 2012
when Jesus told his disciples that it is unto each of them according to their faith, He knew what He was saying. Life is governed by principles. choose the one dat works for u. if paying tithes has been working for you, then you will be a fool to discontinue it. but on the other hand, if u've not been payin it and things arent exactly looking bad  for you, then u're good to go. it is unto each of us according to our faith
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 11:08am On Feb 07, 2012
bigshow123:

when Jesus told his disciples that it is unto each of them according to their faith, He knew what He was saying. Life is governed by principles. choose the one dat works for u. if paying tithes has been working for you, then you will be a fool to discontinue it. but on the other hand, if u've not been payin it and things arent exactly looking bad  for you, then u're good to go. it is unto each of us according to our faith
Very good point made.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by staggerman(m): 12:42pm On Feb 07, 2012
Joagbaje:

^^^^
What of  "Honour thy father and mother" is it done away with ? Was it not under the law?

If you love all men as Christ loves you, and do unto others as you'd like them to do unto you, you'd automatically love and honour not only your parents, but all men as well.
Peace and Grace be unto you.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 12:47pm On Feb 07, 2012
You should answer it straight, is it done away with ? Yes or No.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Feb 07, 2012
Good marketing skills there #Joeabgaje #dropping BBpin. Cool! wink
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Enigma(m): 1:06pm On Feb 07, 2012
staggerman:

If you love all men as Christ loves you, and do unto others as you'd like them to do unto you, you'd automatically love and honour not only your parents, but all men as well.
Peace and Grace be unto you.

Well said. Jesus' royal commandment: love god and love your neighbour covers everything - whether it is do not steal, do not covet, honour your father and mother etc etc

The only problem is that Joagbaje has argued on this very forum that the commandment is not for Christians to obey and also that there is no commandment for the Christian to obey.

See also my signature below.  smiley

cool
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 1:25pm On Feb 07, 2012
Focus on topic not on Joagbaje
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by BERNIMOORE: 1:25pm On Feb 07, 2012
[b]@ Cyntia.

THE ''OLD COVENANT'' THAT CONTAINS VARIOUS REQUIREMENTS SUCH AS,(firstfruits.Tithes,offerings,burnt sacrifices) ''ONLY CONCERN'' THE TRIBE OF LEVI (AS PRIETS TO RECEIVE TITHES FROM OTHER TRIBES OF ISREAL,THE LEVI ARE COMMISSIONED BY ''A WRITTEN COMMANDMENT'' AS CONTAINED IN THE 'LAW COMMANDMENT' AS A GODLY STANDARD ONLY TO THE OLD ISREALITES WHO BY BIRTH ARE ''GODS SONS.

HEBREW 7;5

Verse 5, And indeed those who are of the sons of Levi, who receive the priesthood, have a commandment to receive tithes from the people according to the law, that is, from their brethren, though they have come from the loins of Abraham.

BUT UNFORTUNATELY, THE OLD CONVENANTS,OR COMMANDMENT THAT DEMANDS VARIOUS REQUIREMENTS SUCH AS,(firstfruits.Tithes,offerings,burnt sacrifices)   ''HAVE BEEN ANNULED BY GOD'' DUE TO REASONS because of its weakness and unprofitableness).read yourself

HEBREW 7;18,19.

18 For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness,

19 for the law made nothing perfect; on the other hand, there is the bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.

HAVING ANNUL THE LAW,(due to inneffectiveness evident in the fact that had it been that the people whom the law was given originally which is the isrealites constantly turn away from God to worship other Gods but only try to observe the law commandment selectively 'as a rite' and 'not obligation'.
GOD NOW GAVE US JESUS AS A SURETEE OF A BETTER COVENANT, AND ''NOT'' THE OLD COVENANT.

HEBREW 7;22.

22 by so much more Jesus has become a surety of a better covenant.

YOU WILL AGREE WITH ME THAT ALL CHRISTIANS INCLUDING YOU AND I AND THOSE ON THIS TREAD WERE NOT CALLED ''SONS OF GOD'' BY BIRTH, LIKE THE OLD ISREALITES WITH THE COVENANT THAT MAKES THEM SONS OF GOD AUTHOMATICALLY BY NATIVE OF OLD ISREAL, WE CAN ONLY BE REFERED TO AS 'GENTILES' BUT WERE LUCKY TO BE ''GODS SONS'' ONLY IF WE EXERCISE FAITH IN THE RAMSOME SACRIFICE OF JESUS CHRIST,

.HEB 7;24

24 But He, because He continues forever, has an unchangeable priesthood. 25 Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.

JESUS NOW HAVE RENDERED THE ''REQUIREMENTS FOR SACRIFICES'' LIKE ''FIRSTFRUITS'' WHICH ALSO INCLUDE FIRST ANIMAL OF THE OLD ISREAL AS FIRSTFRUITS  RESERVED FOR ''BURNT SACRIFICES'' IN THE TEMPLE AS UNNECCESARY NULL VOID AND OF NO EFFECT.THIS HE DID BY;

(JESUS OFFERING HIMSELF UP ONCE AND FOR ALL)
JESUS NOW REPLACES THE POSITION HELD BY THE  ''LEVI PRIEST'' AS THE 'HIGH PRIEST  BY 'HIMSELF AS THE HIGH PRIEST FOREVER.'

HEB 7;27

27 who does not need daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the people’s, for this He did once for all when He offered up Himself.

Collosians 2:14

14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.

JESUS BLATANTLY CURSED THE ISREAL OR JEWISH PHARISEES AND HIGH PRIEST WHY?

IT WILL BE RECALLED THROUGHOUT THE NEW TESTAMENT,FROM JESUS ERA,TITHE PAYING IS NOT PRACTICED,AND JESUS EVEN REBUKE OR CAST WOE ON THOSE WHO PAY IN THE NAME OF TITHE,

WHILE LEAVING THE GREATER THINGS THAT TITHE WAS FORMALLY INTRODUCED TO CORRECT 'UNDER THE FORMER MOSES LAW WHICH IS;

JUSTICE(to the fatherless and poor),MERCY AND FAITH.JESUS CHALENGED THEM THAT LETS ASSUME THAT PAYING TITHE UNDER THE FORMER MOSES LAW IS WHAT THEY STILL HELD AS BELIEF,THEN THEY ARE HYPOCRYTES APPLYING PARTLY A LAW THEY CHOOSE TO BELIEVE IN A SELECTED MANNER, LEAVING THE PURPOSE THAT THE LAW{TITHE UNDER MOSES}WAS ESTABLISHED. Read Mathew 23;23

Mathew 23;23,

23 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone. 24 Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!  

THIS ABOVE FACT CLEARLY STRESSED THE POINT THAT RENDERS THE OLD LAW COMMANDMENT 'INNEFFECTIVE' AND TO BE ANNULLED AND REPLACED,

JESUS FURTHER DECLARE THE ''THE CHANGE'' TO THE PHARISEES AND THE HIGH PRIEST WHO STILL HELD TO THE OLD LAW COMMANDMENT,TITHE OFFERINGS FIRSTFRUITS ETC THAT;

MATHEW 21;43-45.

43 “Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it. 44 And whoever falls on this stone will be broken; but on whomever it falls, it will grind him to powder.”

45 Now when the chief priests and Pharisees heard His parables, they perceived that He was speaking of them.

AND TO BUTRESS MY POINT THAT 'THE OLD LEVI PRIEST PATTERN' THAT DEMANDS TITHE,FIRSTFRUIT,OFFERINGS FOR SACRIFICES WAS TOTTALLY MEANT TO BE  ABANDONED,

GOD MONITORED THAT JESUS WILL NOT COME THROUGH THE TRIBE THAT 'OFFICIATE AS PRIEST' WHICH IS LEVI,BUT JESUS NOW CAME FROM ''A TRIBE WHICH IS NOT LEVI,A TRIBE THAT DO NOT HAVE ANY RESPONSIBILITY IN ANYWAYWHATSOEVER TO RECEIVE TITHE,OFFERINGS,FIRSTFRUIT,ETC.

HEBREW 7;12-15.

12 For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law.

13 For He of whom these things are spoken belongs to another tribe, from which no man has officiated at the altar.

14 For it is evident that our Lord arose from Judah, of which tribe Moses spoke nothing concerning priesthood.

15 And it is yet far more evident if, in the likeness of Melchizedek, there arises another priest 16 who has come, not according to the law of a fleshly commandment, but according to the power of an endless life.

PLS NOTE,

{A}DID JESUS NOT COME FROM THE TRIBE OF JUDAH?,(Verse 14,)SHOWS THAT TRIBE OF JUDAH NEVER OFFICIATE AS PRIEST UNDER MOSES LAW,
{B}MELCHIZEDECH WHO OFFICIATE AS PRIEST,BECAME A PRIEST BY AN OATH,AND NOT BY INHERITANCE{LEVI}

NOW WITH ALL THESE GLARING PROOFS,IT IS NOT A STANDARD FOR TRUE CHRISTIANS TO PRACTICE FIRSTFRUITS TITHE AND OFFERING CONCEPT WITH ''THERE IS NO BIBLICAL BACKING'' THAT PRONOUNCE THAT THESE TANGIBLE GOODS SHOULD BE CHANGED TO ''CASH''

IT WILL BE RECALLED THROUGHOUT THE NEW TESTAMENT,FROM JESUS ERA,TITHE PAYING,OR FIRSTFRUITS WERE  NOT PRACTICED,IF YOU DOUBT ME QUOTE IT NOW.

DONATIONS WERE PRACTICED HOW?

THE CHRISTIANS DURING PAUL'S ERA CONTRIBUTED MONIES,NOT TITHES AND OFFERINGS BUT THE NEW METHOD UNDER CHRIST 2 COR 8;12

2 COR 8;12

12 For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not have.

THATS WHY THE WIDOW THAT DROPPED 2 TWO COINS OF LOWER VALUE IN THE TEMPLE WAS PRONOUNCED AS''PUT IN MORE THAN ALL'' HER ''WILLINGNESS WAS APPRECIATED'' AND NOT THE SMALL VALUE OF THE COINS.

''LUKE 21:1-3

1 And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury, 2 and He saw also a certain poor widow putting in two mites. 3 So He said, “Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all;

IS THIS BEEN PRACTICED IN CHURCHES  TODAY?

ITS VERY UNFORTUNATE THAT CHRIST PORTRAYED AS ''MONEY FRIENDLY'',THAT YOU CAN ONLY ENJOY CHRIST OR FEEL HIM THROUGH MONEY DEMANDS, IS JESUS LIKE THAT? HEAR HIM WHEN CONFORTING THOSE THAT THE PHARISEE LOADED DOWN WITH THE LAW COMMANDMENT DEMANDS;

Mattew 11,28-30.

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

FOR CHRIST TO BE REAL TO YOU,FOLLOW AND SEARCH  HIS WRITTEN WORDS CAREFULLY.
[/b]
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by onyxo76(m): 1:29pm On Feb 07, 2012
as a child of God i do all that is required of me, tithes and offerings have their place in the bible. malachi 3 calls those who don't pay their tithes as robbers who rob God. you can't say that tithing is old testament as you don't only read the new testament in isolation.
Jesus never told us to do away with the old laws, but to build on them. I have enjoyed the Lord's mercy and favour since i started to obey the instructions on giving etc, you may feel that pastors and so on "chop" the tithe, well if they do, they will answer unto God, you have done your own part by obeying. God bless.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by sunto: 1:33pm On Feb 07, 2012
Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians,  if you believe in the word of God please read (hebrews  7 from beginning to the end )  tithes is not for everybody but for children of God.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by babyboy3(m): 2:08pm On Feb 07, 2012
What of  "Honour thy father and mother" is it done away with ?  Was it not under the law?

I beg to differ!!!

Ephesians 6:2-3

2 “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3 “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”[a]

Theirs nothing wrong giving free will offering or sowing into a Preacher's life but I dont believe in the aggressive way of asking for tithes in church,

Matthew 10:42

42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.”

I could remember when Prophet Elisha told Naaman to bath in river and after when Naaman was healed, he offered Elisha wealth in but Elisha said he cannot take wealth for doing God's work,

15 Then Naaman and all his attendants went back to the man of God. He stood before him and said, “Now I know that there is no God in all the world except in Israel. So please accept a gift from your servant.”

16 The prophet answered, “As surely as the LORD lives, whom I serve, I will not accept a thing.” And even though Naaman urged him, he refused.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by TANCO: 3:09pm On Feb 07, 2012
As a born again Christian I follow every word that is in the Bible, and by that I mean every word in the Bible that applies to me. And there is no where is the new testament (which is the part that applies to us becos we are not under the law of Moses but under grace) where it is stated that we should pay titheS, offering, first fruit, etc. We are only enjoined to give (to the poor, for the work of the kingdom, etc), but not necessarily to pastors or churches on a regular basis like it's a necessity.
If you disagree, pls show me anywhere in the new testament where we are directed to pay tithe or offering or first fruit.

[color=#006600]Note that the Holy Bible is just one, Jesus Christ, never condemn  the Old Testament or the laws of Moses; He said in Matthew 5:17 - 19[/color]

Do not think that I came to abolish the  Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

18 “For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

19 “Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven"
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by koyedemi: 3:32pm On Feb 07, 2012
[b][/b]PLS READ THE FOLLOWING TO SEE THAT DEBATE ABOUT TITHING IS IRRELEVANT FOR A CHRISTIAN LIVING BY NEW TESTAMENT TEACHING.

Note the following about tithing in the New Testament:

(1) Tithing is never commanded in the New Testament
• Few places tithing is mentioned in the New Testament it is in reference to Old Testament/Jewish event or practice. However, the fact that it is not mentioned is not enough reason to rule out tithing for a New Testament believer. Are there not many ideas we follow and things we practice which are not explicitly commanded in the New Testament but only inferred?
• Also, if tithing is invalidated by it not being commanded in the church, it is not only tithing that will be stopped but all forms of giving in support of the local church. This is because nowhere in the New Testament is believer commanded to give to the church. All giving commands/encouragement in the New Testament is to the poor and needy.

(2) Tithing is never invalidated in the New Testament
• Jesus endorsed tithing by saying it is something that the Pharisees could practiced but not at the expense of more important matters of the law. Matthew 23:23 (NKJV) "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.
• Jesus said He did not come to destroy the law (tithing inclusive) but to fulfill it Matt.5:17.
• The righteousness Jesus expected of His disciples is one that exceeds that of the Pharisees Matthew 5:20 (NKJVsmiley "For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven, So, if the Pharisees gave tithe as a right thing disciples of Christ are to give more than tithe.
• In Jesus pursuit of fulfillment of the law He usually demand higher standard of obedience to the law.
Matthew 5:21-22, 27-28, 31-32 (NKJV) 21 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.' 22 "But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire. 27 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery.' 28 "But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 31 "Furthermore it has been said, 'Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.' 32 "But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.
If Jesus had addressed Old Testament law on tithing in similar way he would have demanded for something greater than a tenth of our income.

(3) A tithe of one’s income is far less than the New Testament standard on giving.
• Jesus’ encouragement/commendation about giving was giving of all. For instance, he told the rich young ruler to sell ALL that he had and give to the poor (Lk.18:22). Likewise he commended a widow for giving more than all simply because she gave all that she had (Lk.21:1-4).
• Paul’s teaching on giving is based on generous/bountiful giving. 2 Corinthians 9:6-7 (NKJV): 6 But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. 7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. 2Cor.8-9.
Can a thousand naira out of ten thousand naira qualify to be regarded as generous/bountiful giving? No. So, what God expects of New Testament believer is generous/bountiful giving, which surely is more than a tenth of your income.
Whereas one cannot be legalistic about the issue of tithing it is very clear from Jesus’ and Paul’s teaching that God never expects any believer to give less than a tenth of his/her income. Thus, it is not out of place to use Mal.3:8ff teaching on tithing as an encouragement towards meeting up with the New Testament standard of giving.

Although quite a number of ministers exploit their congregation today, that is not an excuse not to give generously/bountifully. Apart from the Biblical basis is it not unfair to your church, for you to enjoy the fan/Ac, good music, good sermon, clean environment etc (which all cost money) as you worship and yet not give at least a tenth of your income to support that church?

Based on all the above, the question of whether tithing is mandatory or not is not relevant for a New Testament believer for what is expected of a New Testament believer is far more than tithing. It is generous and bountiful giving. if you are not giving more than a tithe of your income to the Lord can we say you are a generous giver? Give generously to support your church, though not out of compulsion but from youre heart and cheerfully. Any giving made out of compulsion is not acceptable before God. God bless you.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by mabell: 3:41pm On Feb 07, 2012
@ crossman,
Your sickness is yet to start.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Goshen360(m): 3:46pm On Feb 07, 2012
I HAVE SAID IT MANY TIMES AND WILL SAY IT AGAIN IF ANYONE CARES TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION.

JESUS SAID, "Do not think that I came to abolish the  Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill"

NOW THE QUESTION IS: JESUS HAD ALREADY DIED AND FULFILLED THE LAW(TYPES AND SHADOW OF THE REAL THING TO COME,WHICH IS JESUS) AND PROPHETS (THEY PROPHESIED ABOUT HIM AND EVERYTHING THAT HE WILL GO THROUGH). IF JESUS ALREADY FULFILLED THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS, WHY ARE WE STILL TRYING TO KEEP THEM, ONLY IN THE AREA OF TITHE AND NOT ALSO IN KILLING GOAT, BULLS ETC?

ANYBODY SUPPORTING TITHING CAN SIMPLY ANSWER THE QUESTION. I WROTE INTENSIVE ARTICLE ON TITHING. IT WAS COMMANDED BY GOD IN TIMES PAST BUT NOT COMMANDED BY GOD IN TODAY'S CHRISTIAN AGE WE LIVE IN.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 4:41pm On Feb 07, 2012
If you believe in tithing then you must also believe in animal sacrifice to God; u can not pick tithing and leave out animal sacrifice cos they were both practised in the old testament.

TANCO:

[color=#006600]Note that the Holy Bible is just one, Jesus Christ, never condemn  the Old Testament or the laws of Moses; He said in Matthew 5:17 - 19[/color]

Do not think that I came to abolish the  Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

18 “For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

19 “Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven"

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creation: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new (2Cor. 5:17). This means we do not live by the old ways of doing things, we are new creatures!!!
Pls get this into your thick skull.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by garyarnold(m): 5:57pm On Feb 07, 2012
Matthew 5:17-18 states Christ came to fulfill the law and not abolish it.

This is where some education in law is useful. What does fulfill mean? What does abolish mean?

Let me give an example. A legal contract is enforceable under the law. Let’s say you hire a contractor to build a swimming pool in your back yard. Once the contractor has completed the job, and everything in that contract has been completed, the contract has been fulfilled. The contractor’s job is to fulfill the contract, not abolish it. He fulfills it by completing the terms, bringing it to an end.

Consider:

Hebrews 8:13 (KJV) - In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Colossians 2:14 (KJV) - Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Galatians 5:18 (KJV) - But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Galatians 3:19 (KJV) - Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. In other words, until Jesus came and fulfilled the law.

Galatians 3:23-25 (KJV)
23But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Galatians 3:10-14 (KJV)
10For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
13Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Hebrews 7:7 (KJV) “And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.”

Abram, the lesser, was blessed by the King-Priest Melchisedek, the better.

Abram gave the tenth to the better.

1 Peter 2:5 (KJV) “Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.”

1 Peter 2:9 (KJV) “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:”

1 - According to the scriptures, priests do not tithe.
2 - As priests, all born-again believers are equal. There is no better or lesser among us. God has not designated any born-again believers to collect His tithe.
3 - To try and “tithe” today is denying that you are a part of a Royal Priesthood.

SIX STEPS TO UNDERSTANDING WHEN AND HOW THE TITHE ENDED

STEP 1 - Hebrews 7:5 confirms that Levi received tithes according to the law under the Levitical priesthood.

STEP 2 - Hebrews 7:12 tells us changing the priesthood will also change the law.

STEP 3 - Hebrews 7:18 verifies that the command to tithe was disannulled (canceled).

STEP 4 - Ephesians 2:15 and Colossians 2:14 confirm that the Old Testament laws were abolished; nailed to the cross.

STEP 5 - Galatians 4:5 tells us that Jesus redeemed those who were under the law. Ephesians 2:15 and Colossians 2:14 above tell us how Jesus redeemed those under the law – by nailing the laws to the cross.

STEP 6 - Galatians 3:10 is telling us those who reject what Jesus did on the cross and continue to put themselves under the law are cursed by the law. That verse also tells us those who put themselves under even one of the laws, are putting themselves under all of the laws written in the book.

No one follows God's tithing commands today. Please tell me WHY anyone would want to follow an inferior way when the New Testament offers a better way!!
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by mddude(m): 9:18pm On Feb 07, 2012
FXKing2012:

If you believe in tithing then you must also believe in animal sacrifice to God; u can not pick tithing and leave out animal sacrifice cos they were both practised in the old testament.

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creation: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new (2Cor. 5:17). This means we do not live by the old ways of doing things, we are new creatures!!!
Pls get this into your thick skull.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. I dont get it. People selectively choose what laws to follow in the old testament and not follow the other. Jesus revalidated the 10 commandments directly and simplified it. The rest of the law, he refocused it. Things like fornication or adultery which was defined as having a carnal knowledge were redefined.
The question is how was TITHE actually instituted?Tithe as instituted was never MONEY! although money had been in existence during those times
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 9:33pm On Feb 07, 2012
garyarnold:

Matthew 5:17-18 states Christ came to fulfill the law and not abolish it.

This is where some education in law is useful. What does fulfill mean? What does abolish mean?

Let me give an example. A legal contract is enforceable under the law. Let’s say you hire a contractor to build a swimming pool in your back yard. Once the contractor has completed the job, and everything in that contract has been completed, the contract has been fulfilled. The contractor’s job is to fulfill the contract, not abolish it. He fulfills it by completing the terms, bringing it to an end.

Consider:

Hebrews 8:13 (KJV) - In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Colossians 2:14 (KJV) - Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Galatians 5:18 (KJV) - But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Galatians 3:19 (KJV) - Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. In other words, until Jesus came and fulfilled the law.

Galatians 3:23-25 (KJV)
23But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Galatians 3:10-14 (KJV)
10For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
13Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Hebrews 7:7 (KJV) “And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.”

Abram, the lesser, was blessed by the King-Priest Melchisedek, the better.

Abram gave the tenth to the better.

1 Peter 2:5 (KJV) “Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.”

1 Peter 2:9 (KJV) “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:”

1 - According to the scriptures, priests do not tithe.
2 - As priests, all born-again believers are equal. There is no better or lesser among us. God has not designated any born-again believers to collect His tithe.
3 - To try and “tithe” today is denying that you are a part of a Royal Priesthood.

SIX STEPS TO UNDERSTANDING WHEN AND HOW THE TITHE ENDED

STEP 1 - Hebrews 7:5 confirms that Levi received tithes according to the law under the Levitical priesthood.

STEP 2 - Hebrews 7:12 tells us changing the priesthood will also change the law.

STEP 3 - Hebrews 7:18 verifies that the command to tithe was disannulled (canceled).

STEP 4 - Ephesians 2:15 and Colossians 2:14 confirm that the Old Testament laws were abolished; nailed to the cross.

STEP 5 - Galatians 4:5 tells us that Jesus redeemed those who were under the law. Ephesians 2:15 and Colossians 2:14 above tell us how Jesus redeemed those under the law – by nailing the laws to the cross.

STEP 6 - Galatians 3:10 is telling us those who reject what Jesus did on the cross and continue to put themselves under the law are cursed by the law. That verse also tells us those who put themselves under even one of the laws, are putting themselves under all of the laws written in the book.

No one follows God's tithing commands today. Please tell me WHY anyone would want to follow an inferior way when the New Testament offers a better way!!

This is really awesome; very informative! I hope they get it now.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by BERNIMOORE: 10:31am On Feb 08, 2012
@ stagger

quote :stagger

Your head no correct. New testament Christian indeed!

Why did you not quote the scripture where Christ said he did not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it?

MATTHEW 5:17

pls, sound like christ-like person, dont direct insult at the 'person' but always ask 'why' s'one say s'thing,

Galatians 3:19

How is the law fufiled by jesus?

It is fufiled to the extent that, his coming to fufil the prophecies  has been foretold in the old testament Directed to Abraham that;.

(through your seed ,the nation will bless themselves,and when) .

Galatians 3:19.

19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator

Colossians 2:14

14 blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us. He took it out of the way, nailing it to His cross;

EVEN MALACHI 3. IN THE OLD TESTAMENT  THAT TALKS ABOUT THE TITHE ADMITS 'THE PURIFYING OF THE LEVI(PRIEST) SO THAT,OFFERINGS WILL BE IN 'RIGHTEOUSNESS' AND NOT WITH THE OLD PETTERN THAT HAS BEEN ANNULED,READ

Malachi 3:1-4

3 “Behold, I send My messenger,
And he will prepare the way before Me.
And the Lord, whom you seek,
Will suddenly come to His temple,
Even the Messenger of the covenant,
In whom you delight.
Behold, He is coming,”
Says the Lord of hosts.
2 “But who can endure the day of His coming?
And who can stand when He appears?
For He is like a refiner’s fire
And like launderers’ soap.
3 He will sit as a refiner and a purifier of silver;
He will purify the sons of Levi,
And purge them as gold and silver,
That they may offer to the Lord
An offering in righteousness.

Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 10:45am On Feb 08, 2012
BERNIMOORE:

@ stagger

quote :stagger

pls, sound like christ-like person, dont direct insult at the 'person' but always ask 'why' s'one say s'thing,

Galatians 3:19

How is the law fufiled by jesus?

It is fufiled to the extent that, his coming to fufil the prophecies  has been foretold in the old testament Directed to Abraham that;.

(through your seed ,the nation will bless themselves,and when) .

Galatians 3:19.

19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator

Colossians 2:14

14 blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us. He took it out of the way, nailing it to His cross;

EVEN MALACHI 3. IN THE OLD TESTAMENT  THAT TALKS ABOUT THE TITHE ADMITS 'THE PURIFYING OF THE LEVI(PRIEST) SO THAT,OFFERINGS WILL BE IN 'RIGHTEOUSNESS' AND NOT WITH THE OLD PETTERN THAT HAS BEEN ANNULED,READ

Malachi 3:1-4

3 “Behold, I send My messenger,
And he will prepare the way before Me.
And the Lord, whom you seek,
Will suddenly come to His temple,
Even the Messenger of the covenant,
In whom you delight.
Behold, He is coming,”
Says the Lord of hosts.
2 “But who can endure the day of His coming?
And who can stand when He appears?
For He is like a refiner’s fire
And like launderers’ soap.
3 He will sit as a refiner and a purifier of silver;
He will purify the sons of Levi,
And purge them as gold and silver,
That they may offer to the Lord
An offering in righteousness.

Another great post, thank you!
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Chuksxp: 11:44am On Feb 08, 2012
Honestly, the best answer I've seen here was the one by koyedemi.

On a different note, I'd like to stress that though we're not saved by obeying the law, we are still saved to obey the law.

Romans 3:31 - Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

5 Things some Christians Wish Jesus Didn't Say / Pastor Bakare Attacks Patience Jonathan / Can Someone Be A Witch Without Being Aware?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.