Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,475 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:35 PM

Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg (17931 Views)

Remembering Lucky Dube, 6 Years After ! / Damino Damoche Shot Dead At LASU Gate / Which One Do U Prefer, Lucky Dube Or Bob Marley Songs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by kellykoko(m): 5:37pm On Oct 20, 2007
is indeed a pity that one of the finest musician in Africa was killed by some yet to be identify criminals. This has gone to demonstrate her backward we africans are. Two weeks ago it was 2face, who was nearly killed but was save by mother luck. it is really a shame that such a thing could happen given the fact lucky dube was not the type i know was peaceful and easy going person. He will be greatly missed by his teeming fans.
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by kellykoko(m): 5:40pm On Oct 20, 2007
is indeed a pity that one of the finest musician in Africa was killed by some yet to be identify criminals. This has gone to demonstrate her backward we africans are. Two weeks ago it was 2face, who was nearly killed but was save by mother luck. it is really a shame that such a thing could happen given the fact lucky dube was  the type i know was the peaceful and easy going person. He will be greatly missed by his teeming fans.
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 20, 2007
sad sad sad sad

RIP man
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by oraclefemi(m): 9:29pm On Oct 20, 2007
Now i have an artiste to add to my list from 2pac, biggie, fela , jmj , easy e , aaliyah, left eye , awww may his soul rest in peace!!!!!
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by robby1(m): 11:47pm On Oct 20, 2007
Chai lucky m. onwu nke a egbutaghi gi at all. cry
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by lailai2(m): 1:47am On Oct 21, 2007
rip man
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by Raplogic(m): 5:07am On Oct 21, 2007
R.I.P Lucky Dube sad
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by simmy(m): 8:01am On Oct 21, 2007
How terrible!!!! shit like this shldnt happen

Ps: i thot Lagos was the most dangerous place in africa, apparently jo'burg is!
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by redsun(m): 1:56pm On Oct 21, 2007
I saw him for the first and last time in washington dc,in 1999,he had a show there.Great guy,he cut across all races,majority of the people in the show were whites.
He was and still is an african icon,a messenger of truth,peace and unity,in the realm of Marley and Tosh. He is not dead,a rebirth,you are only dead when you are forgotten,legacy.
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by SamMilla1(m): 7:11pm On Oct 21, 2007
the idiots who killed lucky dube must know that their lives will eventually end the same way.i still dont want to believe that he is dead but so is so many things about reality. may his soul rest in peace.
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by babadee(m): 12:36am On Oct 22, 2007
RIP!!!
You're in a better place now!
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by Nobody: 3:01am On Oct 22, 2007
babadee:

RIP!!!
You're in a better place now!

hope he knew Christ
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by chiegemba(f): 8:45am On Oct 22, 2007
nwando:

hope he knew Christ
I feel u on dat!
RIP!!!
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by redsun(m): 11:51am On Oct 22, 2007
He was christ himself,a messenger-christ is a symbol of true message,true love and  selflessness,anybody with this qualities is christlike.He preached against injustice,ignorance and crime,which inturn snapped his life just like christ.
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by peteroby(m): 12:56pm On Oct 22, 2007
The crime rate in South Africa is one of the highest in the world. i have seen this guy in a show with Bodyguards,how come he moves around without them?may his soul rest in peace.
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by magneto(m): 2:28pm On Oct 22, 2007
RIP Lucky Dube, u've been a real inspiration to me. cry
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by ronnieslimz(f): 3:06pm On Oct 22, 2007
sooooo sad!! cry r.i.p
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by Oby1(f): 3:34pm On Oct 22, 2007
Death always remind us of our own and the question is "When i die where will i be"

RIP Dube
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by uchetobi(f): 4:07pm On Oct 22, 2007
RIP.
I always thought he was Nigerian
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by Chiori(m): 8:41pm On Oct 22, 2007
What a wicked world we live in.
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by Darola(m): 1:43am On Oct 23, 2007
May his Soul Rest in Perfect Peace, Africa has lost an icon, Pray that God will console his family and his fans,
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by Horus(m): 11:37am On Oct 23, 2007
LUCKY DUBE'S DEATH AND THE 2010 WORLD CUP

By Chenjerai Chitsaru

LUCKY Dube’s murder last week could not have occurred at a worse time for President Thabo Mbeki’s political image and for South Africa, as we count the months to the 2010 World Cup in that country. 
For Africa, the staging of the soccer festival on the continent for the first time is of such importance nothing on earth should be allowed to gratify the ill-wishes of our detractors.
None of us could help it if a natural catastrophe did occur, but we must guard against any man-made disaster intervening.
The detractors must include extremist Afrikaners, who would love nothing better than for the tournament to be switched to another country because of what they insist is SA’s appalling crime record as if, before 1994, the country was as crime-free as a nunnery.
In an act of insane frustration at the end of apartheid, they murdered one of its fiercest critics, Chris Hani in 1993. He was only 51, a man destined to play a pivotal role in rebuilding the country over the ashes of apartheid.

Lucky Dube

All the evidence of history points to the propensity among all South Africans including the Afrikaners themselves, for violence, as having been nurtured by apartheid, a system which so alienated people against each other, to this day, death is not the “big deal” that it is in, for instance, Zimbabwe and many other African countries recently freed from the morally and psychologically debilitating trauma of racist colonialism.
For Mbeki, Dube’s assassination [b]there was something carefully planned about the attack on his car [/b]came at the most inauspicious moment: one of his critics had just described the country as having become “a political brothel”.
Mangosuthu Buthelezi of the Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) was referring to the suspension of the Natioal Director of Prosecutions and the cancellation of the warrant of arrest for the national police commissioner.
Buthelezi, speaking to a conference of his party in KwaZulu Natal, said the incidents highlighted “the mess in our criminal justice system”. 
He wasn’t finished: the mess was created, he said, by a leadership marked by “ineptitude and pettiness”.
That description sounded more appropriate for the goings-on in Zimbabwe, than in South Africa , whose economy, in general, attracts far more foreign direct investment than its neighbour, whose leadership is most decidedly marked by ineptitude and pettiness  witness the preoccupation with the liquidation of journalists and the hounding of creative entrepreneurs.
Mbeki, unfortunately, has been a little weak-kneed in his response to calls for positive and decisive action to halt the descent into more crime around the country.
He was right to ascribe the prevalence of crime to the legacy of apartheid, but this should not hinder radical plans to revamp the law enforcement agencies to a level bringing it to a par with or even higher, in terms of resources and sophistication, than that of the criminals.
Sadly, his response reminded many critics, even those who generally sympathized with his administration, of his tragic dithering over HIV and Aids.
One criticism was that he seemed to lump every criticism as a knee-jerk reaction, particularly among the whites, to the change of government.
There may be a grain of truth in this suspicion, but Mbeki ought to have been pragmatic enough to appreciate that not all the criticism was gratuitous or strictly motivated by racism.
What made his shortcomings worse was the tendency to entrench his position even while the evidence mounted that a logical reaction should have been a thorough re-assessment of his position.
On the HIV and Aids front, his change of tack, in the calculation of many of his critics, was very slow and costly.
The same consequences may result from his laid-back reaction to the rising crime-wave.   
Part of the real tragedy in Africa is the almost routine tendency to treat all criticism of a government as if it was designed solely to destroy, and not to build.
Opposition parties are thus viewed as potential destroyers of what is seen as an excellent government system, anchored on the people’s wishes. There is much evidence of this in both South Africa and Zimbabwe.
In fact, South Africa ’s ruling coalition of the ANC and the Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) is increasingly seen to be campaigning for the creation of a one-party system.
For instance, in the local government politics of Cape Town , the governing coalition seems determined to cripple the opposition so that it had take over the administration lock, stock and barrel.
There is something vaguely sinister about this obsession with hegemony in every sphere of politics.
For many observers, what appears to be the re-emergence of the Pan Africanist Congress (PAC) as a political force must signal the resistance to the ANC’s push for a near-one-party dispensation. 
Lucky Dube, whose appeal was worldwide, did a few songs which were critical of the new system, as critical as he was of the apartheid regime.
But he was essentially an artiste, not a political activist.
Yet it is common in Africa for even artistes who are not singing the praises of the regime to be treated as if they were “enemies of the state”.
Thomas Mapfumo may not have been the target of any assassination attempt so far, but the campaign to demonise his music has been recognized as signifying an official rejection of his message.
Only his earliest recordings, praising the struggle and those who waged it, are heared on the state electronic media.
Inevitably, what may be called his “rebel” music can be heard on the radio stations considered clandestine and anti-government.
This is one of the unhealthiest aspects of politics in Zimbabwe, the official banning of any music that even remotely criticizes the regime.
It results in the official media favouring “politically correct” music, some of it of such mediocre quality not many foreigners find it inspiring or even truly representative of Zimbabwean culture.
Lucky Dube’s death touched almost all Africans, the exception being those who may have plotted his assassination and their paymasters. How much damage they have done will depend on how the government and people of South Africa will react.
It will be particularly interesting to observe how Mbeki will respond. He publicly expressed his deep sorrow at Dube’s death, but many critics will expect more from him.
If the assassination was indeed intended primarily to tell the world soccer governing body, FIFA, that staging the 2010 tournament in South Africa would be a disaster, then we can expect more such spectacular acts by the authors of Dube’s demise.
The ceremony at which the teams for the African Nations Cup were slotted into their groups for the January 2008 tournament in Ghana was a glittering affair in Accra.
To accompany it was a film depicting the progress South Africa has made in building new stadia or expanding old ones for the 2010 World Cup festival.
Obviously, the successful staging of the tournament would be a victory for Africa as a whole, not only for its soccer, but for its image as a continent capable of successfully organizing such lavish tournaments and not just coups and civil wars.
South Africa staged Afcon in 1996, which it won, only two years after democracy was established. No-one can be under any illusions that[b] there are enemies of Africa who would love for the 2010 World Cup to be a catastrophe.[/b]
Mbeki must know this and must polish up his act, or end up encouraging Buthelezi to coin an even more scabrous epithet than a “political brothel”.

Source: http://www.zimbabwejournalists.com/story.php?art_id=3062&cat=4
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by seun001(m): 4:32pm On Oct 23, 2007
@Horus,

a beautiful write up there.

different strokes for different folks,
we got our problems in nigeria,

other countries got theirs,
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by chichimma(f): 12:23am On Oct 24, 2007
cry cry cry cry cry My heart is crying big time for Lucky Dube. I still cannot believe it when I heard it a few days ago and almost slapped the messenger (which is my cousin) for telling me so nonchalantly.

I remember one of my first reggea shows,I attended gave me chills was Lucky Dube in 1996. He was an inspirator and still is with his lyrics and gospel and concious reggea style. He will live on forever! May God comfort and carry his children through this very difficult time as well as the rest of his family.
The people that killed him in cold blood will never have any peace in life!

I still cannot believe it that we live in such a cruel world.
Lucky Dube may your soul rest in perfect peace cry
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by lapumpin: 8:51am On Oct 25, 2007
Lucky Dube: rastas never die
Five people have been arrested in connection with the murder last week of reggae star Lucky Dube, South African police said on Monday.

Dube, 43, was shot three times in front of his two children on Thursday, in what police said was an attempted carjacking.

Police spokesman Superintendent Eugene Opperman said five men were arrested in an early morning raid on a house east of Johannesburg on Sunday and would appear in court on Tuesday.

REUTERS/Akintunde Akinleye/Files

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:****"They will be appearing at the magistrate court to face various charges which will be specified later," he said.

Police said the suspects were aged between 31 and 35 and most of them were Mozambican.

Suspected stolen goods were found in the house, police said.

"The investigation is still going on and we hope to arrest more people," Opperman added.

The high-profile murder prompted new calls for a crackdown on violent crime in South Africa, which has one of the highest crime rates in the world.

Police figures showed the murder rate in rose 2.4 percent between April 1, 2006, and March 31, 2007, with 19,202 murders recorded. The number of assaults, carjackings and assaults also remained high.
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by sexycyn(f): 10:39am On Oct 25, 2007
i think its is out of jealousy or gangstarism that will make someone kill Lucky Dube. but its all bad, the man knew they didnt come for the car, dats why he tries to escape. but may hid oul rest in peace.
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by Horus(m): 11:09am On Oct 25, 2007
Tears of rage for Lucky 
Khethiwe Mabena Published:Oct 24, 2007

Insults hurled from packed gallery as four accused of Dube’s murder troop into court
Music producer Richie Siluma took one look at the four suspects accused of killing his cousin, reggae legend Lucky Dube, before breaking down and crying in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court yesterday.Sifiso Mhlanga and Julius Gxowa, both Mozambican nationals, appeared with Thabo Maruping and Mbuti Mbele, of Spruitview, east of Johannesburg. The men were provisionally charged with murder, attempted hijacking, and the illegal possession of firearms and ammunition.Police said a fifth man, who was arrested on Sunday, would not be charged in connection with Dube’s murder.The public shouted insults from the gallery as the four suspects entered the courtroom.

[img]http://www.thetimes.co.za/thumbnail.aspx?type=img&id=71078[/img]
'GUARD US’: John Sithole, spokesman for the Dube family, says the public needs more protection against criminals

The accused asked for legal aid. Dube was gunned down in front of his children in Rosettenville last Thursday, in what police have called a botched hijacking.He was travelling in his luxury Chrysler with personalised number plates  when his assailants struck, shooting him three times.Prosecutor Collen Molebatsi opposed bail and asked the court to postpone the case to October 30.When magistrate Albertus Roux asked if the accused had anything to say, Gxowa said that he had “to attend” a theft case in Heidelberg on November 22.‘Don’t worry, your cases will not clash,” Roux assured him.
In an interview outside court, Siluma, who was raised with Dube by their grandmother, told The Times the reggae star was shot outside the home of a close friend.“He had educated him [the friend] from standard 6 and he is now an accountant ,” said Siluma.He said he last spoke to Dube just four hours before he was killed.“I went to his place to apologise for failing to attend his father-in-law’s funeral a week ago.”Siluma said Dube told him that he had built a traditional coffin for his father-in-law.“I asked him to bury me in one of those when I die,” Siluma said.He said Dube laughed and responded: “Who knows, maybe you’re going to bury me first.” Four hours later, while driving to Ermelo, Siluma received a phone call from poet and musician Mzwakhe Mbuli who told him that Dube had been shot."Lucky did not deserve to be killed. “He was a very humble and simple man who would never have harmed anyone,” Siluma said.Dube family spokesman John Sithole said it was high time the government did something about the escalating crime rate."We, as the citizens, expect the government to be able to protect all of us,” Sithole said.

Source: http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=594218
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by seun001(m): 4:55pm On Oct 25, 2007
catching the killers will definately act as a soothing balm to the suffering of his family.i think the police should be commended.

unlike nigeria, hmmmm na tory u go dey hear,
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by Bossman(m): 7:50pm On Oct 25, 2007
Yes. it's very sad indeed. He was my favorite reggae artist. I have all his CDs an DVDs. I also saw him live twice here in Chicago. As already posted, each and every one of his music has a message in it. He is always preaching love and happiness. He is just unique among reggae artists. He is very pure, and does not spoke or drink at all.

Now, how can someone just decide to take his life? really unbelievable. It was a sad day for me when I heard. Received so many calls from people that know how much I like this guy and his music. He will truly be missed.

RIP Lucky Phillip Dube.
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by Horus(m): 12:06pm On Oct 28, 2007

Convicts criticise Dube’s killing 

The death of reggae icon Lucky Dube has touched even convicted prisoners serving time for taking other people’s lives.
Almost 100 inmates at Boksburg Prison signed a petition condemning the killing of Dube, whom they described as a freedom fighter.
“Though we are serving sentences for crimes similar to this one, we feel we have wronged our nation and there is no justification for this barbaric act,” they said.
“This is our way of apologising to the community and a sign that we have changed. We say to our peers, crime does not pay. You don’t know the pain you are causing to (Dube’s) loved ones, friends and fans,” they said in the petition faxed to Sowetan.
They condemned the killing “with the disgust it deserves”, saying the murderers have no respect for human life.
They said serving time in prison had opened their eyes. They acknowledge their past mistakes and “had learnt to accept them”.
“The inmates of Boksburg Correctional Services would like to send our heartfelt condolences to the family of our music icon and hero of the freedom struggle, the late Lucky Dube,” they said.

Source: http://www.sowetan.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=596770
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by seun001(m): 6:56am On Oct 29, 2007
@Horus,

funny they will feel that way,is any other person they killed less than human or they do not have families.funny also how peeps feel remorse when being punished for doing wrong and feel otherwise when they get away free.
Re: Lucky Dube Shot Dead In Johannesburg by djcrucifix(m): 9:56am On Oct 29, 2007
i wOnder what this south africa is turning into, the crime rate is that country is just too much! angry

LUCKY DUBE, REST IN PEACE cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Most Highly Anticipated Albums Of 2016 / Davido, Wizkid, Simi Bag AFRIMA Awards 2018 Nominations (see Full List) / Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.