Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,625 members, 7,865,508 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 07:31 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (10676) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8879677 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10673) (10674) (10675) (10676) (10677) (10678) (10679) ... (14219) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by TrebleChamp(m): 2:16pm On Aug 24, 2021
afrodoc2:

They will get them playing better than they are playing now but don’t deceive yourself that they will play good footy.

McTom for one won’t have even been promoted into the senior team by Pep and if Pep had met him he would have offloaded him. Klopp might have use for him though.

Fred would also be better but might still not make the grade. There is a reason Pep was initially interested in him but then left him to us.

The other player Pep left to us was Alexis Sanchez. That might tell you something.
I think the bolded happened because we outbidded Pep for both, i agree with your submission on McTom though. How do you see VDB playing in a Pep setup?

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 2:18pm On Aug 24, 2021
elrony:

It's human nature, manager bias is actually a thing grin

Watching Pérez yesternight was so underwhelming. Kept trying to see what he offers that Senior Man can’t offer.

Even their EPL stats are similar, with Kelechi scoring higher in crucial areas. Good thing United didn’t go for Maddison, dey for don sack Olé by now lmao
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 2:20pm On Aug 24, 2021
elrony:

Why not play VDB with one of the twins? tongue
Exactly...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 2:25pm On Aug 24, 2021
TrebleChamp:
I think the bolded happened because we outbidded Pep for both, i agree with your submission on McTom though. How do you see VDB playing in a Pep setup?

We don't have more money than ADUG. If we outbid them it is cos they let it happen.

In terms of VDB he is decent with possession football and also makes good runs into the box so i can see Pep playing him in one of the more attacking midfield roles e.g Gundogan's role in the present team. He might not be a starter but would see good action.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Panther7(m): 2:27pm On Aug 24, 2021
Reports are circulating on Saul Niguez, I don't know if he is exactly what we need but surely he is an upgrade on Mcfred.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 2:28pm On Aug 24, 2021
afrodoc2:

What site is that? Whoscored says he has played DM only 11 times in the last 6 years and most of that was with another more defensive minded player. For instance they counted 2 UCL and 2 EPL games with us last season as part of the 11.

I am not sure VDB can work as the only defensive option with Pogba and Bruno. That midfield would be overrun and the defense would be too exposed. VDB is like Gundogan and even the ultra-attacking Pep is not playing Gundogan as the sole shield in midfield while Tuchel partners Jorginho (their VDB ) with workers like Kante or Kovacic.

"He [VDB] was playing as a No. 6 in the beginning, more defensively, because he had a decent pass and if you take the paradigm of the team had to win then every coach would put him at 6, because he's good there, he had good duel strength and he could intercept balls.

"But Wim Jonk especially said he had to go one line up, Wim saw he had this ability to see spaces, to create spaces for himself and for others, that was his ability, when is the right time to come as a midfielder into the box, in the half spaces his quality was very good."

- Ruben Jongkind [Ajax's former head of academy development]
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 2:31pm On Aug 24, 2021
Scott McTominay has missed out on selection for Scotland's upcoming World Cup qualifiers but captain Andy Robertson and Kieran Tierney are both included in Steve Clarke's squad.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ChristineC: 2:34pm On Aug 24, 2021
Oasis007:
Saúl is set to leave Atléti. Chelsea opened talks for Saúl days ago. There’s official bid now on the table - loan with buy option.

Also Manchester United have asked for Saúl again in the last 24 hours, he’s in the list with Camavinga.

He’s ready for PL move.

- Fabrizio Romano
I thought this Saul is also a CM.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Panther7(m): 2:37pm On Aug 24, 2021
ChristineC:
plays in double pivot in Atleti sometimes as a wide midfielder.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by BlueAngel444: 2:38pm On Aug 24, 2021
Simpler answer to if Pep had VDB is looking at a not so similar player but less defensive, Gundogan. If Pep can utilize Gundogan he will do the same with VDB. Van Beek was a player I wanted in Madrid, Pep would have turned him into one of the best deep-laying playmakers and now united are chasing more central midfielders Camavinga that wants to join PSG and Saul.

Saul is more defensive than VDB but don't they both play box to box? I mean that's how good VDB used to be

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by BlueAngel444: 2:39pm On Aug 24, 2021
Panther7:
Saul can literally play most positions on the pitch, maybe not forward and goal keeper cheesy
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ChristineC: 2:41pm On Aug 24, 2021
Panther7:

very well as long as we actually play them.
I'm personally fed up with purchasing players for bench roles.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by melodyogonna(m): 2:41pm On Aug 24, 2021
Mehn Matic is a proper central midfielder tbh. Look at this comparison, our Midfielder - Pogba, Fred, McTominay, Matic plus Saul Niguez per 90 https://www.squawka. com/en/comparison-matrix/?compare=T8SM2ZeFOlCfTMe6isiAd

This Squawka comparison matrix make sense sha, no need to dey pull stats out of the air.

This was for last season btw

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 2:44pm On Aug 24, 2021
Erling Haaland will be free to leave Borussia Dortmund in January, rather than next summer, when a £64million release clause becomes active.

- Marca

We shouldn't miss out.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 2:45pm On Aug 24, 2021
ChristineC:

He is.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 2:46pm On Aug 24, 2021
Oasis007:

"He [VDB] was playing as a No. 6 in the beginning, more defensively, because he had a decent pass and if you take the paradigm of the team had to win then every coach would put him at 6, because he's good there, he had good duel strength and he could intercept balls.

"But Wim Jonk especially said he had to go one line up, Wim saw he had this ability to see spaces, to create spaces for himself and for others, that was his ability, when is the right time to come as a midfielder into the box, in the half spaces his quality was very good."

- Ruben Jongkind [Ajax's former head of academy development]

That is youth football. AWB was a winger in youth football and Ruud Van Nistelrooy was a midfielder. I am saying that in senior football i have not seen him play significant time as the most defensive midfielder.

This might be Jongkind's kind way of saying he wasn't good as a DM so he was moved into center midfield. You still didn't tell me what website you got those stats from.

If Amaka tries it and it works i will be happy but IMO there is not enough work rate and defensive nous in a VDB, Pogba, Bruno midfield.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 2:48pm On Aug 24, 2021
Offer Martial plus €30m for Haaland, and see the done with Dortmund.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 2:50pm On Aug 24, 2021
afrodoc2:

That is youth football. AWB was a winger in youth football and Ruud Van Nistelrooy was a midfielder. I am saying that in senior football i have not seen him play significant time as the most defensive midfielder.

This might be Jongkind's kind way of saying he wasn't good as a DM so he was moved into center midfield. You still didn't tell me what website you got those stats from.

If Amaka tries it and it works i will be happy but IMO there is not enough work rate and defensive nous in a VDB, Pogba, Bruno midfield.

grin

Here we go.

https://www.footballcritic.com/donny-van-de-beek/player-positions/52635
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 2:51pm On Aug 24, 2021
Oasis007:
Erling Haaland will be free to leave Borussia Dortmund in January, rather than next summer, when a £64million release clause becomes active.

- Marca

We shouldn't miss out.

We have his teacher Amaka. We have his friend Jadon. Over to Fletcher, Murtough, Judge and co.

If only the team can play well in order to sweeten the deal.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ChristineC: 2:55pm On Aug 24, 2021
Oasis007:

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 2:56pm On Aug 24, 2021
Oasis007:

grin

Here we go.

https://www.footballcritic.com/donny-van-de-beek/player-positions/52635

Whoscored disagrees.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/275035/History/Donny-van-de-Beek

I don't think that kind of midfield would work unless we played Pep football. The safer move would be to pair VDB with one of the twins first.
If we got Saul or Camavinga and paired VDB with whoever we bought that would be good too.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by melodyogonna(m): 2:59pm On Aug 24, 2021
We should really be looking at Yves Bissouma tbh

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by melodyogonna(m): 3:01pm On Aug 24, 2021
Oasis007:
Will you agree to such a deal if you're in charge of negotiations at Dormund?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 3:03pm On Aug 24, 2021
melodyogonna:

He is not sexy enough for the club hierarchy (management and coaching staff) and our scouts have tunnel vision.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 3:03pm On Aug 24, 2021
melodyogonna:

Will you agree to such a deal if you're in charge of negotiations at Dormund?

What's the Value of Martial?!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 3:05pm On Aug 24, 2021
afrodoc2:

We have his teacher Amaka. We have his friend Jadon. Over to Fletcher, Murtough, Judge and co.

If only the team can play well in order to sweeten the deal.

I swear. Haaland likes OGS, and he's close friend of Sancho.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 3:05pm On Aug 24, 2021
Oasis007:

Other clubs will be offering the 64 million. We should just activate the release clause and forget about it. This is not the time for the useless and endless Sancho negotiations.

6 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ChristineC: 3:15pm On Aug 24, 2021
afrodoc2:

He is not sexy enough for the club hierarchy (management and coaching staff) and our scouts have tunnel vision.
perhaps because he has some years left on his current deal, but he's on £25k weekly. that's quite low by industry average.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ChristineC: 3:18pm On Aug 24, 2021
Oasis007:
What's the Value of Martial?!
easier to sell Martial to Italy or Spain and make up the Haaland fee.
Martial may not even want a paycut that can secure a transfer and that will be a problem.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 3:18pm On Aug 24, 2021
ChristineC:
perhaps because he has some years left on his current deal, but he's on £25k weekly. that's quite low by industry average.

He has just 2 years left on his contract. We always prefer the shiny object rather than something functional.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MRTA7: 3:21pm On Aug 24, 2021
melodyogonna:

I would be happy with this.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ChristineC: 3:28pm On Aug 24, 2021
afrodoc2:

He has just 2 years left on his contract. We always prefer the shiny object rather than something functional.
there was news some weeks ago that £40m was quoted when Arsenal made enquiries. with the way we price players these days, which seem to be working so far, that valuation may be considered steep. just the way I see it though, but there's been no links in the media to him so far

(1) (2) (3) ... (10673) (10674) (10675) (10676) (10677) (10678) (10679) ... (14219) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: adebayo201 and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.