Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,387 members, 7,815,828 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:00 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (13353) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8715558 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13350) (13351) (13352) (13353) (13354) (13355) (13356) ... (14146) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by DeadPresidents: 11:13pm On Jul 05, 2023
patrickmuf:
We could have signed Tonali for the same fee we signed Mount. Tonali is a far better fit for the role.

Not true. Tonali is not a B2B.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Culer: 11:25pm On Jul 05, 2023
TeslaFC:

Mount provides more edge to the midfield, in the sense that he has the work rate of Fred, the technique of Eriksen, and is very press-resistant.

I don't think you understand the meaning of press resistance
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Ballzproblem2: 11:48pm On Jul 05, 2023
depay wore the no.7 and flopped ,just saying 🤷
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Ballzproblem2: 11:50pm On Jul 05, 2023
patrickmuf:
We could have signed Tonali for the same fee we signed Mount. Tonali is a far better fit for the role.
tonali cost more than mount
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by TeslaFC: 11:58pm On Jul 05, 2023
Culer:
I don't think you understand the meaning of press resistance

Oh my bad
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Mrviktor(m): 12:18am On Jul 06, 2023
Some people still believe the takeover will happen.

D urge has died so bad.

D hype has crippled.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Panther7(m): 2:11am On Jul 06, 2023
Mrviktor:

D urge has died so bad.

D hype has crippled.

The urge has died cos both parties (Glazers and Qatar/Sir Jim) have entered into a NDA. It looks like a good sign I guess. No news= good news, let’s just go by that.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by freezyprinzy(m): 2:46am On Jul 06, 2023
Mrviktor:

D urge has died so bad.

D hype has crippled.

There is something going on low key. The British press are quite about it because at this point it’s like 60-70% sure Qatar has won it and that isn’t going down well with the British fan boys/press. If sir Jim was the preferred bidder trust me you would have seen a lot of news about how he won the bid and all of that.

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 3:30am On Jul 06, 2023
DeadPresidents:

Not true. Tonali is not a B2B.
We do not need a box-to-box midfielder, we need a midfield controller right next to Casemiro. Tonali is perfect for the Erikson role.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 3:38am On Jul 06, 2023
Ballzproblem2:
tonali cost more than mount
Check Skysports and other reputable sites.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by iamoyindamola(m): 5:15am On Jul 06, 2023
patrickmuf:
Are they playing the same position?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by iamoyindamola(m): 5:17am On Jul 06, 2023
patrickmuf:
We do not need a box-to-box midfielder, we need a midfield controller right next to Casemiro. Tonali is perfect for the Erikson role.
Tonali is a dm
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by odizeey(m): 7:08am On Jul 06, 2023
WhoDeyHause:

The next step is becoming your captain. This is just the beginning.
Cobham to the world. 💯.
If he becomes captain it's nothing new.

As fa he delivers.

All these running up and down you guys are doing here thinking he'll not be value for money, you guys might be shocked.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by obonujoker(m): 7:09am On Jul 06, 2023
🚨 | Roma hold interest in Scott McTominay. Jose Mourinho has always been a great admirer of the player. [@DiMarzio]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 9:09am On Jul 06, 2023
iamoyindamola:

Tonali is a dm
Tonali is not a DM. He is very similar to Pirlo (A deep-lying playmaker). He sits right next to a DM.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by iamoyindamola(m): 9:30am On Jul 06, 2023
patrickmuf:
Tonali is not a DM. He is very similar to Pirlo (A deep-lying playmaker). He sits right next to a DM.
But pirlo is also a DM
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 9:38am On Jul 06, 2023
iamoyindamola:

But pirlo is also a DM
Pirlo always played alongside a traditional DM.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ChristineC: 9:50am On Jul 06, 2023
Ballzproblem2:
depay wore the no.7 and flopped ,just saying 🤷
en zo whot?

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by pkasso(m): 10:40am On Jul 06, 2023
patrickmuf:
You are right about Tonali being a better fit than Mount. He is comfortable dropping deep and orchestrating play but he's more of a CM, just like Eriksen. I like to see him as a 6-8 hybrid, Mount is more of an 8-10. Those of una wey dey expect actual possession football from tenHag, make una dey dream dey go. With Mount and Bruno in midfield, na direct, transitional football, which is not bad as long as you guys create chances, score goals and win games.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ChristoBam: 10:43am On Jul 06, 2023
afrodoc:

Sancho has been a big disappointment and a source of L for a few of us but Grealish has been a low-key flop but because the whole team is doing well it is not obvious. As the only right footed senior winger in such a high scoring team his stats are actually very poor. Mahrez, Foden, Silva, Palmer are all left footed and better coming off the right but Grealish has no natural rival on that flank and is still not that productive.

The only thing is that Grealish is not our problem, Sancho is, so that is who we should focus on. He is our 3rd choice LW now so hope he is investing that 300k weekly salary well because he is not getting that kind of money again after this contract.
Grealish was very good last season. I'm surprised you're even the one saying this. Cuz I know you watch a lot of games.

Watched a lot of City games last season and this guy was consistently dropping an 8/10. Rarely dropped stinkers. Do you know how many of Sancho's games were pure stinkers?

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 10:54am On Jul 06, 2023
ChristoBam:

Grealish was very good last season. I'm surprised you're even the one saying this. Cuz I know you watch a lot of games.

Watched a lot of City games last season and this guy was consistently dropping an 8/10. Rarely dropped stinkers. Do you know how many of Sancho's games were pure stinkers?

Grealish was okay last season mainly after the World Cup but he was not 100m pound okay. The season before that he was poor.

In a struggling team all those Grealish performances that you spoke of that were not accompanied with goals and assists would have fallen under serious scrutiny. There is a fine line between such performances and shaku shaku.

Mind you, I wasn’t the one who raised the issue and I am not even using it to defend Sancho who has been a huge disappointment. The fact remains though that Grealish performances over the past 2 seasons taken in totality are barely worth a 50m pound player not to talk of a 100m pound one.

He should thank his ori that his team has players like KDB, Haaland, Bernardo Silva etc

How many players consistently drop stinkers for Pep sef? Ake that was shaky at Bournemouth don dey form chairman there.

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 11:28am On Jul 06, 2023
Unku Christo, you can message me directly. Na me bring di matter.

Out of the 94 goals city scored in the league, Graelish only contributed to 12 of them ( 5G+7A).

He was even poorer in the champions league. Played 13 games, has 0 goals plus 0 assists.

No, Graelish was not "very good" last season. He had a brief moment in either April or March where he scored or made remarkable assists. But that was it.

If Graelish was a United player and he scored 5 PL goals last season, as a 100m player, you'd be calling for his head today.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 12:44pm On Jul 06, 2023
pkasso:
You are right about Tonali being a better fit than Mount. He is comfortable dropping deep and orchestrating play but he's more of a CM, just like Eriksen. I like to see him as a 6-8 hybrid, Mount is more of an 8-10. Those of una wey dey expect actual possession football from tenHag, make una dey dream dey go. With Mount and Bruno in midfield, na direct, transitional football, which is not bad as long as you guys create chances, score goals and win games.
I wonder if some of them have watched Tonali before arguing. My point about Tonali is that if we are to analyse what ETH was trying to achieve last season using Eriksen then Tonali would have been the better option compared to Mount...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 1:03pm On Jul 06, 2023
Leyqute:

Out of the 94 goals city scored in the league, Graelish only contributed to 12 of them ( 5G+7A).

He was even poorer in the champions league. Played 13 games, has 0 goals plus 0 assists.

No, Graelish was not "very good" last season. He had a brief moment in either April or March where he scored or made remarkable assists. But that was it.

If Graelish was a United player and he scored 5 PL goals last season, as a 100m player, you'd be calling for his head today.

Grealish helps Man City retain possession and is very good in ball progression. While I am not of fan of his style of play (He sometimes hugs the ball too much) you can't use stats to dismiss his impact on the City's style of play. For him to be benching Foden then you should know he is doing something right because Pep is not the kind of manager that rewards average performances.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Ellexy: 1:20pm On Jul 06, 2023
Why is this club this slow? So all these while they're yet to conclude their internal investigations on Greenwood... Omo

sad undecided
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 1:34pm On Jul 06, 2023
patrickmuf:
Grealish helps Man City retain possession are is very good in ball progression. While I am not of fan of his style of play (He sometimes hugs the ball too much) you can't use stats to dismiss his impact on the City's style of play. For him to be benching Foden then you should know he is doing something right because Pep is not the kind of manager that rewards average performances.

Are you praising Graelish for 'retaining possession' ? Is that his primary job as a winger?

You're saying this as if you won't curse him if he was a 100m United winger and all he did was retain possession.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Bombblacks: 1:51pm On Jul 06, 2023
Leyqute:

Just admit you didn't watch Grealish for City last season instead of doing plus and minus with stats. You saying he was poor in the champions league confirms it even more. Anybody who watched few City matches especially after the world cup will be able to tell you Grealish was very good from January till the end. Even using stats Grealish created the Most chances for City last season in the Champions league and was only 2nd for city i the League behind Kdb while having the most dribbles in both competition. I already know that champions league stats is incorrect because from the top of my head I remember Grealish providing the assists for Mahrez In the quarter final away at Leipzig. He also provided an assist against Bayern after he robbed Upamecano of the ball. If Sancho can perform like for a season we will be happy.

7 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 2:40pm On Jul 06, 2023
Leyqute:

Are you praising Graelish for 'retaining possession' ? Is that his primary job as a winger?

You're saying this as if you won't curse him if he was a 100m United winger and all he did was retain possession.
In City, they have a goal machine in Haaland and other goal threats so, Pep has not problem with Grealish not scoring or assisting else Foden will displace him. The demands of Grealish at City and the demands had he joined United is and would have been different...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 2:44pm On Jul 06, 2023
Ellexy:
Why is this club this slow? So all these while they're yet to conclude their internal investigations on Greenwood... Omo

sadundecided
They are not investigating anything, they are hoping that somehow the attention on his case gets taken over by other events paving the way for his reintroduction into the team.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 2:57pm On Jul 06, 2023
Bombblacks:

Just admit you didn't watch Grealish for City last season instead of doing plus and minus with stats. You saying he was poor in the champions league confirms it even more. Anybody who watched few City matches especially after the world cup will be able to tell you Grealish was very good from January till the end. Even using stats Grealish created the Most chances for City last season in the Champions league and was only 2nd for city i the League behind Kdb while having the most dribbles in both competition. I already know that champions league stats is incorrect because from the top of my head I remember Grealish providing the assists for Mahrez In the quarter final away at Leipzig. He also provided an assist against Bayern after he robbed Upamecano of the ball. If Sancho can perform like for a season we will be happy.

If you think this is about me trying to big up Sancho, you'd be very wrong.

I don't think Sancho has measured up to what he's expected to do and I think we should find a way to ship him off.

It doesn't mean that Grealish was the polar opposite either. He was quite average for City, considering his price tag.

If you buy a player for 100m, he should at least be gettinh you double digits in goals or assists in the league.

Grealish didn't do that.

In fact, he he hadthe least goal contribution of all city attackers. If you want to dribble, go to laliga. If you wants to be a midfield controller, change positions with Rodri

The only place he'll get a pass for the kind of season he has is City- because they won.

Throw his contributions into any team apart from City, for 100m, he'd be getting some pretty heavy stick.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 3:00pm On Jul 06, 2023
patrickmuf:
In City, they have a goal machine in Haaland and other goal threats so, Pep has not problem with Grealish not scoring or assisting else Foden will displace him. The demands of Grealish at City and the demands had he joined United is and would have been different...

The previous season when Man City had yet to buy Haaland and had no striker, Grealish scored just 3 premier league goals. Throughout the season.

If not for oil money, City would be demanding a 100m refund from Villa.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 3:04pm On Jul 06, 2023
patrickmuf:
Over 100m for 3 years of quality football and no resale value, Is it worth it?

Liverpool bought Mane and got value from him and eventually sold him before his form dipped for a profit. If Liverpool decide to sell Salah today they'll get at least £70-100m. As of now, even if drops form, no Liverpool fan will question the decision to sign him in the first place.

Look at Cit with Sterling, Sane etc. Our problem is that we buy top players at the wrong end of their careers for so much money when we know they don't have any resale value. At other times, we buy average players and place them on ridiculously high wages making it impossible for us to sell when they don't meet our expectations.

Leave resale for small clubs. Big clubs dont think about resale. They make themselves a destination club. Even in your example Liverpool is not selling Sallah because they realize that is 2 steps forward 4 steps backward

City sells players they dont need or players who want out. The ones they want like Aguero Silva, they squeeze every juice out of them and let them go for free

The sale value of KdB will be 150M but City is not even interested until he decides he is no longer interested

The amount you make from having English captain and number 9 plus the title push and commercial success that follows outweighs any resale value. The fans will even be excited. RvP was signed for 30m and only useful for 1 league winning season

(1) (2) (3) ... (13350) (13351) (13352) (13353) (13354) (13355) (13356) ... (14146) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: maik99(m), afrodoc2 and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.