Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,590 members, 7,854,514 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 07:13 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (170) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8848580 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) ... (14210) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Emperoh(m): 9:10am On Mar 07, 2013
StarBoard:
Sorry to seem that way.
Just that certain peeps tend not to respect other counter opinions without name-calling.
Wonder why.

Don't take such things to heart. . . . . it is important we have differing opinions and that we recognise the need to respect such differences but not everyone appreciates that. Just overlook them, make your point and we go onto other things.

Have you taken the email id? am about to take it off.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 10:37am On Mar 07, 2013
montelik: No doubt about SAF should have reacted to the obvious threat Madrid posed when they brought on Modric. But there were no real options on the United bench. All we had were Lindegard, Smalling, Young, Kagawa, Rooney, Valencia, Hernandez. None of those is natural central midfielder. Its one thing to criticize SAF for not making an obvious substitution that would have helped contain Madrid, but fact is that there was no obvious changes that would have helped us deal with Madrid's midfield superiority. What we needed was to bring in an energetic central midfielder who could press and close down Madrid midfielders, while maintaining discipline (solid positioning and good tackling) around the 18 yard box, but we had no one even close to capable of that on the bench (please don't say Rooney who when asked to drop back in midfield against Chelsea at Stamford bridge was getting caught out of position and making reckless tackles that led to at least one goal). Jones was injured and Fletcher's (the only midfielder we have who fits that bill) career is all but done. This is why I was so annoyed when we did nothing about our midfield in the summer. In seasons gone by we would have brought on a fit Fletcher, Hargreaves even Ji-Sung Park who would provide the necessary cover. But we are top heavy on either ball playing central midfielders, whom are either more attacking (e.g Tom C, Ando, Kagawa) or lack the natural energy, burst or athleticism (Carrick, Scholes, Giggs) and Fletcher is all but done.

I would understand the criticism if we had Jones or Fletcher on the bench and hadn't brought them on, but they weren't available. None of the changes we could have made would have significantly helped. Even if he was available, Ando is not good enough pressing and tackling on the edge of his own box, not to mention his reaction, anticipation and positioning when defending are inconsistent at best. We could have brought on Rooney for RVP and he might have been able to may be frustrate Alonso, but Modric would still have been able to overload and kill us with his fresh energy and intelligent short play in the middle. Fact is we didn't have the options available to deal with the red card and Madrid's smart change in tactics. You can second guess and say this change or that change would have made the difference, but there was hardly an obvious option available. In situations like that, there are not guarantees.

We need to bring more variety in our midfield even it means some players have to move on. Well on the next one.

God bless you. People will just be spewing gibberish without looking at the facts on the ground.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 1:47pm On Mar 07, 2013
montelik: No doubt about SAF should have reacted to the obvious threat Madrid posed when they brought on Modric. But there were no real options on the United bench. All we had were Lindegard, Smalling, Young, Kagawa, Rooney, Valencia, Hernandez. None of those is natural central midfielder. Its one thing to criticize SAF for not making an obvious substitution that would have helped contain Madrid, but fact is that there was no obvious changes that would have helped us deal with Madrid's midfield superiority. What we needed was to bring in an energetic central midfielder who could press and close down Madrid midfielders, while maintaining discipline (solid positioning and good tackling) around the 18 yard box, but we had no one even close to capable of that on the bench (please don't say Rooney who when asked to drop back in midfield against Chelsea at Stamford bridge was getting caught out of position and making reckless tackles that led to at least one goal). Jones was injured and Fletcher's (the only midfielder we have who fits that bill) career is all but done. This is why I was so annoyed when we did nothing about our midfield in the summer. In seasons gone by we would have brought on a fit Fletcher, Hargreaves even Ji-Sung Park who would provide the necessary cover. But we are top heavy on either ball playing central midfielders, whom are either more attacking (e.g Tom C, Ando, Kagawa) or lack the natural energy, burst or athleticism (Carrick, Scholes, Giggs) and Fletcher is all but done.

abeg abeg abeg.....stop this line of argument, what do you mean by we had no energetic midfielder on the bench to press? what's anderson? energetic goalkeeper? what about valencia? look him up, he plays as a central midfielder for ecuador. what about ashley young? in his last season at villa and sometimes for england, he can play in the middle. we had enough on that bench to see real madrid off but fergie's substitutions were idiotic and not timely. with nani off, united should have gone 4-2-3 immediately. take giggs and welbeck off, introduce anderson and rooney and we would have seen madrid off.

I would understand the criticism if we had Jones or Fletcher on the bench and hadn't brought them on, but they weren't available. None of the changes we could have made would have significantly helped. Even if he was available, Ando is not good enough pressing and tackling on the edge of his own box, not to mention his reaction, anticipation and positioning when defending are inconsistent at best. We could have brought on Rooney for RVP and he might have been able to may be frustrate Alonso, but Modric would still have been able to overload and kill us with his fresh energy and intelligent short play in the middle. Fact is we didn't have the options available to deal with the red card and Madrid's smart change in tactics. You can second guess and say this change or that change would have made the difference, but there was hardly an obvious option available. In situations like that, there are not guarantees.

anderson is our best central midfielder when it comes to urgency, aggression and the ability to travel with the ball which was what we needed. after nani went off, we couldn't even keep possession, we kept hoofing it upfield and the attack kept coming back to us. anderson has the ability to collect the ball and go on those mazy runs that would have relieved our defenders. yet, fergie persisted with giggs and tired legs till madrid got 2 goals and made the challenge insurmountable.

We need to bring more variety in our midfield even it means some players have to move on. Well on the next one.

we have variety - i had predicted the outcome before the game kicked off. once you have a manager that puts his selfish interest ahead of the interest of the team and the fans then this is what happens. there's no effing way anyone can convince me dropping rooney was the right tactics. it couldn't have been. real madrid feared rooney more than van persie or giggs. what was he doing on the bench? yet again, giggs has cost us another important game. add to the 2 champions league finals against barcelona(2009 and 2011) and now this one - i think the fool should retire after this season. his continued presence in the squad is harming us big time.

we went to city, chelsea, newcastle, etc and outplayed our opponents without giggs and won. why did fergie change the scripts on tuesday? 1000th game?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by codedguy1(m): 3:50pm On Mar 07, 2013
You are playing a CL game against 9 time champs, real Madrid with a coach like maurinho and Fergie is being sentimental about one 40yr old playing his 1000th game. Which is more important, winning the game or Giggs hitting his 1000th game in style.

Yes Giggs played very well, but Rooney on the pitch would have given us a sharper edge against Madrid and given them something to worry about far better than what Giggs was offerring even though he was playing well. IMO

Fergie also reacted slowly to the red card, as soon as Modric was brought in we needed another body in the middle to distract/hassle him and any player from, young, Ando, rafael and smalling would have been capable of doing that.

Fergie messed up, simple! I have been to upset to comment since.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 3:55pm On Mar 07, 2013
coded guy: You are playing a CL game against 9 time champs, real Madrid with a coach like maurinho and Fergie is being sentimental about one 40yr old playing his 1000th game. Which is more important, winning the game or Giggs hitting his 1000th game in style.

Yes Giggs played very well, but Rooney on the pitch would have given us a sharper edge against Madrid and given them something to worry about far better than what Giggs was offerring even though he was playing well. IMO

Fergie also reacted slowly to the red card, as soon as Modric was brought in we needed another body in the middle to distract/hassle him and any player from, young, Ando, rafael and smalling would have been capable of doing that.

giggs should just retire.....we were okay in spite of having giggs in the starting line up not because he was there. wayne would have given madrid a different set of problems. wayne would press and attack. giggs cannot press and attack in the same intensity that wayne can. after his goal against norwich, it's criminal to have left him on the bench.....
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 4:28pm On Mar 07, 2013
coded guy: You are playing a CL game against 9 time champs, real Madrid with a coach like maurinho and Fergie is being sentimental about one 40yr old playing his 1000th game. Which is more important, winning the game or Giggs hitting his 1000th game in style.

I disagree with your bolded bit. No way to know Rooney would have for sure performed well. He was one of our worst players in the 1st leg at the bernabeu. Giggs played well and we were leading till the red card and even after the red we was still playing well. Just absolutely no need to scapegoat giggs on this.

The main fault lies with fergie when he should have reacted to the red card but he didn't and the players didn't and before we knew it Real Madrid were 2-1up. Too late by then.

You all need to stop scapegoating giggs unnecessarily when he played well.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Cristalz(f): 4:48pm On Mar 07, 2013
And yet they accuse Fergie of sentiment when they are guilty of the exact same thing.
A player performs well on the pitch but because of his age and because another player was dropped (which still isn't directly attributable to Giggs), he is being blamed for the team's loss. Does that even make sense?
Whatever happened to objectivity in analysis, I wonder.

And like you said, whoz to say that Rooney woulda excelled on the night? It's a case of maybes, so making accusations with such finality and certainty in such situation is just absurd.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by codedguy1(m): 4:54pm On Mar 07, 2013
^^
Nobody is scapegoating Giggs, in a game of this magnitude you need your best players on the pitch, the fact that Giggs was playing well did not mean that was the best option. Fergie sentimentally played giggs while we had a more potent Rooney on the bench. That's a no no.

The fact that Rooney had a below par game at the bernabau does not mean he would have a bad game at old trafford, a home high octane game. There is also no way we would know he wouldn,t have performed well at home.
In a game like this you play him cos over time he has been one of our best players especially in high tension games like this.

I acknowledge that Giggs played well so I aint scapegoating him.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Cristalz(f): 5:26pm On Mar 07, 2013
How about RVP? He obviously wasn't the best option, peformed below par. How come you guys aren't saying anything about that?
Why couldn't he have come off for Rooney, especially considering that Rooney partners well with Giggs.

Welbeck did well in the 1st leg, but couldn't he have been benched so Rooney could start?
I mean, like you said, there was also no guarantee that he was gonna perform well on the night.

Why single out Ryan Giggs when there were obviously other players that Rooney possibly got sacrificed for?? Especially when he (Giggs) didn't let the team down in any way.
If it's mostly 'cos of his age and less about his performance, that, my friend, is scapegoating.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 5:38pm On Mar 07, 2013
Mr_TA:
I disagree with your bolded bit. No way to know Rooney would have for sure performed well. He was one of our worst players in the 1st leg at the bernabeu. Giggs played well and we were leading till the red card and even after the red we was still playing well. Just absolutely no need to scapegoat giggs on this.

i like how people keep saying rooney was our worst player in the first leg. let's play giggs out of his position as a central defender and see how he would cope. rooney's attacking qualities was sacrificed to protect rafael and he's been pilloried for having the worst game. did rooney perform poorly as a centre forward or as a make shift winger?

The main fault lies with fergie when he should have reacted to the red card but he didn't and the players didn't and before we knew it Real Madrid were 2-1up. Too late by then.

it's their collective responsibility - fergie and giggs.
giggs must know if he doesn't retire, fergie would continue to choose him based on sentiments. neville would have played on tuesday if he didnt retire 3 seasons ago. neville knew this and he retired cos he's harming the team more than his positive contribution. giggs should have told fergie he's not up for this kind of game - the chelsea game this weekend is another grand occasion he could have played his 1000th game - not a potential banana skin match against mourinho's side! giggs is selfish.

You all need to stop scapegoating giggs unnecessarily when he played well.

why won't we?
rooney is pissed now and if newspaper reports are to be believed, he wants out!!! i would want out too. let's hope giggs would give us the exact number of years rooney would have given us! alex ferguson has gone senile. sacrificing the energy and verve of young players for old fools like giggs and scholes! we deserve to be eliminated for having the chutzpah to play giggs against madrid - why didn't he bring back cantona, schmeichel, steve bruce and nicky butt to complete the aroma of shyte?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Cristalz(f): 6:01pm On Mar 07, 2013
The British media will forever remain sensational...papers need to be sold! I wouldn't believe anything they say without hard evidence.
Personally I'm glad RVP failed to show up on the night; shows Fergie that the man isn't invincible.

Would be suicide to let Rooney go anywhere....IF he indeed wants to go. Big IF.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 6:06pm On Mar 07, 2013
Cristalz: The British media will forever remain sensational...papers need to be sold! I wouldn't believe anything they say without hard evidence.
Personally I'm glad RVP failed to show up on the night; shows Fergie that the man isn't invincible.

Would be suicide to let Rooney go anywhere....IF he indeed wants to go. Big IF.

RVP didn't fail to show up, our football was lethargic to even bring RVP into the game. we failed to meet the standard required on the night! with rooney on that pitch, RVP would have thrived. either an assist or even a goal. madrid's defenders would have to worry about 2 dynamic strikers who can score with 1 nanosecond!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Cristalz(f): 6:14pm On Mar 07, 2013
Too lethargic to bring RVP into the game but not too lethargic to feed and create chances for Danny Welbeck, right?
Does Welbeck have two heads?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 6:26pm On Mar 07, 2013
Cristalz: Too lethargic to bring RVP into the game but not too lethargic to feed and create chances for Danny Welbeck, right?
Does Welbeck have two heads?

those are half chances.....and that's exactly the point!
rooney would have done better with shots on target than welbeck in the same position. fergie gave madrid too much respect by having welbeck sit on alonso. madrid were tired already with the 2 classicos - without the sending off, we would have coasted without playing too well. the sending off just tipped the balance massively towards them and mourinho took full advantage!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Cristalz(f): 6:38pm On Mar 07, 2013
coogar:

rooney would have done better with shots on target than welbeck in the same position.
fergie gave madrid too much respect by having welbeck sit on alonso. madrid were tired already with the 2 classicos - without the sending off, we would have coasted without playing too well. the sending off just tipped the balance massively towards them and mourinho took full advantage!

And you know this because....your crystal ball said so, perhaps?

And FYI, you avoided answering why chances, or "half chances" (in your opinion) were created for Welbeck but mysteriously weren't created for RVP.
Welbeck must have two heads!

Or here's a thought. . .maybe RVP was simply too ill-positioned for his teammates to find. It wasn't about having Rooney on or not.
Plus, most of the time when RVP did get the ball, quoting a friend that saw the game with me..."na RVP sef dey spoil ball"
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 6:58pm On Mar 07, 2013
coogar: rooney is pissed now and if newspaper reports are to be believed, he wants out!!! i would want out too.

If that is true then he should GTFO. After mugging us for £250k per week, and hasn't even improved since his bumper pay rise, he can go sharpish. Good riddance, lets see if he will find anyone beyond the money miss roads across town, in London or Paris who will pay such wages. White Pele my a**. Kagawa scored a hat-trick this weekend and was benched, no one is screaming as to why he was left out. Evans was faultless in Madrid, yet was also dropped. Rubbish and nonsense.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 8:22pm On Mar 07, 2013
Cristalz:

And you know this because....your crystal ball said so, perhaps?

And FYI, you avoided answering why chances, or "half chances" (in your opinion) were created for Welbeck but mysteriously weren't created for RVP.
Welbeck must have two heads!

Or here's a thought. . .maybe RVP was simply too ill-positioned for his teammates to find. It wasn't about having Rooney on or not.
Plus, most of the time when RVP did get the ball, quoting a friend that saw the game with me..."na RVP sef dey spoil ball"

RVP had half-chances....the one he heard in the second half that the madrid goalie saved with his shoulder from an acute angle. just like i said, they were just half-chances. the role played by welbeck is the rooney role and rooney shoots sharper than welbeck. welbeck is just a hardworker - his finishing is worse than my grandma's when she's in the loo. grin

montelik:

If that is true then he should GTFO. After mugging us for £250k per week, and hasn't even improved since his bumper pay rise, he can go sharpish. Good riddance, lets see if he will find anyone beyond the money miss roads across town, in London or Paris who will pay such wages. White Pele my a**. Kagawa scored a hat-trick this weekend and was benched, no one is screaming as to why he was left out. Evans was faultless in Madrid, yet was also dropped. Rubbish and nonsense.

kagawa was bullied throughout in the first leg....there's no reason to start him again and cede territorial advantage to madrid.
the rooney one is the one making fans scratch their heads.....a quarter-fit rooney is a dangerous player on the pitch. varane would have been raped had rooney been on the pitch. the understanding between RVP and rooney would have been too much for the madrid defence but fergie screwed up big time.

isn't that how he played giggs ahead of tevez and berbatov in 2009 champions league final too? the only time we won the champions league in the last 5 yrs, giggs did not start both legs in the semis and he didn't start in the final. the only chance he had when he came on, he missed it with a gaping goal in sight.

is ryan giggs bad luck? the facts agree with me.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Cristalz(f): 8:57pm On Mar 07, 2013
Superstition at best.
If Welbeck took "the Rooney role" and has a worse finishing than your dear granny, why pick on Giggs? Especially when he was faultless.

Agree to disagree, C. This is becoming old.

In other news....Chelsea lost tonight. Weak performance that made a lil' attempt at picking up near the end of the 2nd half.
They weren't organized defensively....Bertrand was a sorry story. Guess Ashley got rested for Sunday.
If our guys are on top of their game, we should nail 'em nicely.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 9:58pm On Mar 07, 2013
Cristalz: Superstition at best.
If Welbeck took "the Rooney role" and has a worse finishing than your dear granny, why pick on Giggs? Especially when he was faultless.

Agree to disagree, C. This is becoming old.

welbeck got a start because he works hard. he sat on alonso throughout and alonso disappeared in the first half - i cannot remember anythin significant xabi did in the first half. welbeck didn't get the nod because he's got any exquisite skill. giggs denied rooney a start(this is where my problem is)!

In other news....Chelsea lost tonight. Weak performance that made a lil' attempt at picking up near the end of the 2nd half.
They weren't organized defensively....Bertrand was a sorry story. Guess Ashley got rested for Sunday.
If our guys are on top of their game, we should nail 'em nicely.

i don't even care about sunday again.
they should just win the league and forget this season already.......with that wonderful squad as ours, it's a mare we got eliminated the way we did. what a shame!!!!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 11:23pm On Mar 07, 2013
Shoulda, coulda, woulda ...hindsight is a biatch!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 7:46am On Mar 08, 2013
coogar:

welbeck got a start because he works hard. he sat on alonso throughout and alonso disappeared in the first half - i cannot remember anythin significant xabi did in the first half. welbeck didn't get the nod because he's got any exquisite skill. giggs denied rooney a start(this is where my problem is)!

If you concede that Welbeck deserved his start in the middle after the brilliant job that he did on Alonso, then you are scapegoating as Cristalz says. Have you seen Rooney's performances when played wide this season, did you see how awful he was in Madrid? When Cristalz pointed it out, you claimed he was out of position and excused his poorness, which is true and I agree. But yet you think despite his consistently poor play (when wide this season) he should still have played on the wing just so you wouldn't have put up with Giggs in the starting eleven. You are complaining more on sentiment just cause you no longer want Giggs to play in any important games for United. If you were actually being genuine you would have called for Valencia/Young to take the Giggs position rather than all this crying over Rooney.

I am done talking about Tuesday night.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 8:10am On Mar 08, 2013
Emperoh:

Don't take such things to heart. . . . . it is important we have differing opinions and that we recognise the need to respect such differences but not everyone appreciates that. Just overlook them, make your point and we go onto other things.

Have you taken the email id? am about to take it off.
Seen it.
Thanks mate.
will hit you soon.
As per opinions, like Cristalz said, it's a faceless forum. I appreciate that everyone is not going to think like me, but denigrating peeps at the slightest opportunity defeats the purpose of getting diverse opinions.
That's why I try to stay away even when I manage to get free time.
If people aren't mature enough to discuss without insulting then I'm sure the place isn't better than a sanitorium, really.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 8:23am On Mar 08, 2013
coogar:

rooney would have done better with shots on target than welbeck in the same position. fergie gave madrid too much respect by having welbeck sit on alonso. madrid were tired already with the 2 classicos - without the sending off, we would have coasted without playing too well. the sending off just tipped the balance massively towards them and mourinho took full advantage!
Half-chances?
Please o.Danny Welbeck got himself into positions where he could threaten. Robin van Persie had one early in the first half.He didn't even manage to make clean contact.
Besides what if I blamed Van Persie for the ones he missed at the Bernabeu?
coogar:
rooney is pissed now and if newspaper reports are to be believed, he wants out!!! i would want out too. let's hope giggs would give us the exact number of years rooney would have given us! alex ferguson has gone senile. sacrificing the energy and verve of young players for old fools like giggs and scholes! we deserve to be eliminated for having the chutzpah to play giggs against madrid - why didn't he bring back cantona, schmeichel, steve bruce and nicky butt to complete the aroma of shyte?

Coogar is now advocating for a player he once labelled as the worst in terms of " bottom-level" to be given a chance to play against Real, just to give his argument credence.Interesting.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 9:52am On Mar 08, 2013
@starboard. I hope you stick around and give your 2cents regularly. Try not to respond to insults etc. I know it can be annoying but it would be good to have your input and thoughts regularly. I don't get myself involved in a slanging match with anyone. I say my thoughts and keep it moving. Hope you do the same as your input in valued.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Emperoh(m): 10:36am On Mar 08, 2013
Mr_TA: @starboard. I hope you stick around and give your 2cents regularly. Try not to respond to insults etc. I know it can be annoying but it would be good to have your input and thoughts regularly. I don't get myself involved in a slanging match with anyone. I say my thoughts and keep it moving. Hope you do the same as your input in valued.

My sentiments exactly. Ignore such jejune insults.
Some of us are so busy noticing such nonsense. Maturity is key to me and that basically when you ignore such things.
I trust we'll sure have Starboard on ground. Missing TKB as well; that one dey do agbaya for Twitter grin grin

All great to have Crizzle around. wink
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 11:41am On Mar 08, 2013
montelik:

If you concede that Welbeck deserved his start in the middle after the brilliant job that he did on Alonso, then you are scapegoating as Cristalz says. Have you seen Rooney's performances when played wide this season, did you see how awful he was in Madrid? When Cristalz pointed it out, you claimed he was out of position and excused his poorness, which is true and I agree. But yet you think despite his consistently poor play (when wide this season) he should still have played on the wing just so you wouldn't have put up with Giggs in the starting eleven. You are complaining more on sentiment just cause you no longer want Giggs to play in any important games for United. If you were actually being genuine you would have called for Valencia/Young to take the Giggs position rather than all this crying over Rooney.

I am done talking about Tuesday night.

welbeck deserved to start - i didn't say he deserved to start from the rooney role. rooney put up a wonderful performance in the game before the madrid one. 2 assists and one wonder goal - isn't that enough to guarantee him a start? rooney might not have done the job to man-mark alonso like welbeck did but rooney is a bigger threat to madrid than welbeck. alonso would be the one worrying what rooney can do not the other way round.

StarBoard:
Half-chances?
Please o.Danny Welbeck got himself into positions where he could threaten. Robin van Persie had one early in the first half.He didn't even manage to make clean contact.
Besides what if I blamed Van Persie for the ones he missed at the Bernabeu?

we did well enough in the first leg 1-1. i cannot ask for more
we weren't eliminated because of the first leg, but for the 2nd leg. let's discuss why we had an unbalanced team against madrid on our own soil. we didnt have to respect madrid too much. rooney should have started, welbeck should be protecting evra and nani should be protecting rafael. giggs had no business in that line-up. we would have definitely scored more goals!

Coogar is now advocating for a player he once labelled as the worst in terms of " bottom-level" to be given a chance to play against Real, just to give his argument credence.Interesting.

but rooney's form is currently good!
he had gotten 1 goal and 2 assists in the game before madrid. in raw stats, rooney has 11 goals + 9 assists in 20PL games as a supporting striker - he's been very good this season!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:02pm On Mar 08, 2013
I am happy to find this trend. Wow!

SAF just confirmed that Rooney is going nowhere.

Giggs did extremely well on Tuesday. He ran all through like a teenager. Nani, Wellbeck and Giggs did well in retaining possession and pacing play till the red card. Cleverly was also brilliant that period. After the red card, Welbeck and Cleverly could not lift themselves to the occasion, Giggs remain resolute and did well again when Rooney, valencia and Young came in.

The problem was United conceding too quickly after the red card, it didn't allow SAF to read the situation to know how to make changes and change the formation. The red card was a shock to the players and coach, perhaps, as someone said, if United had an experienced midfield player, they should have soaked the pressure better than Cleverly and Welbeck.

With the options available, Rooney should have been quickly introduced to retain possession upfront. Modric was given too much time to shoot, Carrick could have done better. Rafael lost sight of Ronaldo for the second goal. The second goal could have been avoided. How Evra allows so much space to his left, allowing opponents to penetrate that area is sometimes ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, Evra is very good, but he stays inside the 18 box most times instead of the wide, allowing strikers to push in easily. I remember a UCL semi final against Chelsea 2011 where Evra was out due to suspension, Evans didn't allow any nonsense from that end. He dealt with opponents right close to the touch line.

Finally, on 11. Vs 11, SAF would have been termed a genius for the tactics he deployed. Imagine, without the red card, SAF had the fresh Rooney and Valencia at 70th minute.

Sometimes football is luck. This time we were not lucky, no thanks to the centre referee, Plaini's agent.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:21pm On Mar 08, 2013
Sir Alex Ferguson confirms that Wayne Rooney will be involved on Sunday, Ryan Giggs to be rested & Phil Jones not ready yet.

"The Wayne Rooney issue first? Or do you want to talk sense? The issue you're all going on about in the papers is absolute rubbish.

"I've banned two papers from the press conference and they won't get back in here until they apologise.

"We don't always get our tactics & team selection right but we definitely did on Tuesday.

"It is my job is to galvanise the troops, who were fantastic on Tuesday & so were the fans, we owe them a good performance on Sunday."

"Phil Jones won't be ready for Sunday. He'll be available for the following week, though.

"Giggs won't play on Sunday because he was the best player on the pitch on Tuesday. He's done his bit for us this week.

"Chelsea, it's a home draw and I always say that if you get a home draw you're happy. Hopefully we can navigate that and get through."
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 12:30pm On Mar 08, 2013
A midfielder wit steel n a LB, n we will ok 4 d next 5 seasons.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:40pm On Mar 08, 2013
Let's not blame too much, without the red card United were heading to the quarter finals and SAF would have been hailed. When I saw the line up, I wondered why Rooney had to be on the bench. But at half time, it was clear United were on course. Nani, Cleverly, Welbeck, Giggs did well. Giggs recovery to assist defence was marvelous, with the speed of a teenager. Nani and Welbeck were causing problem to Madrid on the left, Nani retained, ran and swaggered in, Welbeck speed was a problem too and Giigs and Cleverly provided options behind them with some nice overlapping runs from Rafael and Evra.

It was only RVP who was quiet just as Ronaldo and Di Maria were clipped by United until the red. But no coach on earth would have left RVP out of the game, you are talking of a player who takes 3/4 of his chances or sometimes half chances. Rooney is also powerful, he is the hub, the player who holds united play together, he alone can dictate the direction of a game when fit, but I think SAF needed a tight defence, little midfield action and head on attacking. He went for strikers who can run straight at Madrid defenders and even outpace them with dribbling runs. Nani, Welbeck and RVP were the preferred. Giggs too has been showing class in that direction recently. Playing Rooney and Kagawa would have meant some possessing football in the attacking midfield which will allow Madrid to regroup quickly. It was just a tactical decision.

What pained me was that it was going to be Nani's night. He would have raised his CV with that match, I think he was having a great night on a big occasion. He always had the potentials.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 12:42pm On Mar 08, 2013
coogar:

we did well enough in the first leg 1-1. i cannot ask for more
we weren't eliminated because of the first leg, but for the 2nd leg. let's discuss why we had an unbalanced team against madrid on our own soil. we didnt have to respect madrid too much. rooney should have started, welbeck should be protecting evra and nani should be protecting rafael. giggs had no business in that line-up. we would have definitely scored more goals!
Yeah but if van Persie converted one of those chances in Madrid, the red card might not have been an issue.You cannot divorce the events of the first leg from the second.
It's a two-legged tie.
No mention of the chance created by the much-maligned Giggs for van Persie in the first half that he scuffed.
Please lay off the criticism. Giggs did well.

coogar:
but rooney's form is currently good!
he had gotten 1 goal and 2 assists in the game before madrid. in raw stats, rooney has 11 goals + 9 assists in 20PL games as a supporting striker - he's been very good this season!
How was his performance in Madrid?
I wouldn't benchmark his form vs lowly Norwich and QPR to vouch for his place on the starting line-up vs Real Madrid.
Your last statement masks your criticism of him so far this season.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 12:48pm On Mar 08, 2013
with the way Ferguson is handling this Rooney issue, putting him in starting line up, not putting him, benching him, not benching him, he may lose Rooney to a rival club this summer

he's one of your best players if not the best. His stats have been strong in his past 12 games. Well,fergie is fergie

(1) (2) (3) ... (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) ... (14210) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: Jokerman(m), afrodoc2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.