Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (226) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8752614 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) ... (14158) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:19am On May 17, 2013
@Coogar, The article below may have been written by a Briton, it nevertheless offers you what Rooney has been doing in the UCL knock-out stages. If he had not been rested in some group matches, his tally would have been more. The article tries to tell Rooney scores more in the knock out than in group stages. He does this better than anyone, even Ronaldo and Messi have their goals drop as the tournament progresses

He's a knockout:
The 27-year-old also leads Chelsea’s European Cup-winning hero Didier Drogba (13 of 39 goals for 33 per cent), strike partner Robin van Persie (five of 21 for 24 per cent) and nomadic great Zlatan Ibrahimovic (four of 30 for 13 per cent). When the going gets tough, it appears Rooney gets going.

Rooney burst on to the European scene on his United debut with a hat-trick against Fenerbache in September 2004 but it would not be until April 2007 that his first knockout goal came.
He finished off a sumptuous counter attack in the Stadio Olimpico in a 2-1 defeat by Roma, then scored again in the return at Old Trafford as United romped home 7-1.
That lit the fuse. Two more against AC Milan in the next round were ultimately not enough to progress but the next season Rooney again scored in Rome (in a quarter-final first leg) as United went on to lift the trophy in Moscow.

Showtime: Rooney will need to be at his best if United are to beat Madrid this year
Four goals against Milan to personally destroy the Italian giants in 2010 is perhaps the high point, with a strike in the 2011 final against Barcelona losing its shine because of the 3-1 defeat.
Last season’s early exit ensured that goal at Wembley was his last in the Champions League knockout stages. Sir Alex Ferguson would hope he can resume that form against Real, in Madrid.

More...
'The freckled demon, built like a barrel packed with gunpowder coming to blow up the Bernabeu' - why Real are running scared of 'hooligan' Rooney as he prepares to square up to the man he calls an 'idiot'
Why Jose is in Real trouble: Mourinho is facing mutiny as stars, press and club president turn against the Special One

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2277504/Wayne-Rooney-big-game-player--Champions-League-record-proves-it.html#ixzz2TV5icORx
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:52am On May 17, 2013
After bursting onto the European scene, with a hat-trick on his Champions League debut against Turkish giants Fenerbahce in September 2004, Rooney was forced to wait nearly three years before scoring his first knockout goal for Manchester United, in April 2007.

His strike in the 2-1 quarter-final first leg defeat, against Roma at the Stadio Olimpico, was soon added to in the return encounter at Old Trafford, as Sir Alex Ferguson's side romped to an emphatic 7-1 victory, going through to the last-four, 8-3 on aggregate.

Despite notching two more against AC Milan in the semi-finals, Rooney and United crashed out of the competition 5-3 on aggregate. A 3-2 home win in the first leg gave the Premier League side a slim advantage, but after losing 3-0 at the San Siro their European dream was over for another year.

The following season Rooney scored again in Italy - in a quarter-final first leg 2-0 victory - as Manchester United eased past Roma, and went on to beat Barcelona in the semi-finals, and lift the trophy at the expense of Chelsea in Moscow in May 2008.

Rooney's individual high point perhaps came in 2010, though, when his four goals against AC Milan personally destroyed the Serie A giants, while his Champions League final strike against Barcelona in the same campaign, lost its shine because of the 3-1 defeat at Wembley.

Manchester United's shock group stage exit last season means that Rooney's Wembley goal was his last Champions League strike in the knockout stages, and he'll be hoping to add to his impressive record when he locks horns with Real Madrid for the first time in his career on Wednesday night.

In terms of total Champions League goals, Rooney remains some way behind Messi and Ronaldo, with the four-time FIFA Ballon d'Or winner having scored 56 times, and the Portuguese forward recording 44 goals of his own.

Other players that have bettered the Manchester United star's overall tally, are Chelsea's European Cup-winning hero Didier Drogba (39 goals) and Paris Saint-Germain striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic (30 goals). However, with only 33 per cent and 13 per cent of their respective strikes coming in the knockout stages, it's fair to say that Rooney's goal return in the competition has proved to be far more valuable.

Robin van Persie completes the top six, with five of his 21 Champions League goals coming after the group stages - equating to 24 per cent - which could prove to be decisive in Manchester United's bid to beat Real Madrid en route to European glory this year.

For a full breakdown of the Champions League's knockout kings, see below - with all stats provided by French newspaper L'Equipe.

6. Zlatan Ibrahimovic - 30 goals (4 knockout) = 13%

5. Robin van Persie - 21 goals (5 knockout) = 24%

4. Didier Drogba - 39 goals (13 knockout) = 33%

3. Cristiano Ronaldo - 44 goals (20 knockout) = 45%

2. Lionel Messi - 56 goals (26 knockout) = 46%

1. Wayne Rooney - 27 goals (14 knockout) = 52%

http://www.givemefootball.com/331470-rooney-heads-list-of-champions-league-knockout-goal-kings

[b]Coogar, now tell me more about Berbatov and co. Imagine the achievement of Rooney in the UCL as stated above. WOW! You were trying to drag him to the level of Oshea. If we had another like Rooney, we should have by far be greater in Europe.
In all statistics, this man is a king. Now I will start calling him, KING ROONEY. I pray, should he leave, it should be Madrid, let him go and help them to a UCL final and title. I have told you that we have big games player and small games player, in his team rotation, SAF reserves rooney for the big moments. If he were to play all small matches, his goals would far more than it is now.

I have told you he was the overall EPL aggregate scorer over 5 years prior to this season. I have told you alot of statistics and facts, anywhere the argument goes, he emerges on top. He has won the PFA player of the year, he has been in the best 11 many times. FACTS. YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE TRUTH. YOU CAN'T KILL AN ORDAINED STAR. THIS MAN WILL GO INTO HISTORY AS ONE OF UNITED ALL TIME BEST. GOALS AND LAURELS. He will be in the first page. What page will Berbatov be? Who is even Berbatov in EPL? I acn't seem to find him in google search when I search for Premier League great players.[/b]
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Fussbot: 12:53am On May 17, 2013
>[/quote].
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Fussbot: 12:58am On May 17, 2013
elampiro: Sir Alex Ferguson slept in and skipped work for the first time as Manchester United boss - after the emotion of his retirement left him shattered.

"On the Monday night, after the parade, I slept for 10 hours, I think for the first time in my life! I was absolutely gone, knackered. I didn't go in to work the next morning.

"As it got to - I don't know what time it was - I kept feeling the presence of Cathy coming into the bedroom. I think she was just checking to see if I was still alive!"

Ferguson, who took charge of his final game at Old Trafford last Sunday admitted it had been emotional and said: "It definitely has been, and Sunday will be hard too.

"What I had to do, and I think I did it well, I didn't show my emotion too much. When I announced it to the staff I got a bit blubby, you know, but it wasn't easy." <Source: Daily Mirror>
lol @ if he was still alive..funny man..
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 7:46am On May 17, 2013
@Coogar, your claim that Nistelrooy played along weak players is totally wrong. He had great men around him always. Soon after he left, United started winning trophies. That shows the mentality of Rooney and Ronaldo in crucial matches as against Nistelrooy.

Manchester United Squad - Season 2001/2002

Goalkeepers

Carroll

Barthez

van der Gouw

Defender

Brown

O'Shea

Neville

Silvestre

Phil Neville

Blanc

Roche

Irwin

Stam

Clegg

Midfielder

Giggs

Scholes

Keane

Fortune

Butt

Beckham

Sebastian Veron

Chadwick

Stewart

Wallwork

Djordjic

Forward

Solskjaer

[color=#000099]van Nistelrooy

Forlan[/color]

Nardiello

Webber

Yorke

Cole

Davis

2003/2004 season

Goalkeeper

Seasons

Howard

Carroll

Defender

Ferdinand

Brown

O'Shea

Neville

Silvestre

Midfielder

Giggs

Scholes

Fletcher

Ronaldo

Eagles

Richardson

Keane

Fortune

Djemba-Djemba

Kleberson

Butt

Pugh

Forward

Saha

Solskjaer

van Nistelrooy

Bellion

Forlan

Johnson

Nardiello

Manchester United Squad - Season 2005/2006

Goalkeeper

van der Sar

Howard

Defender

Evra

Ferdinand

Brown

Vidic

O'Shea

Neville

Pique

Silvestre

Bardsley

Heinze

Eckersley

Midfielder

Giggs

Park

Scholes

Fletcher

Gibson

Ronaldo

Martin

Richardson

Jones

Keane

Miller

Forward

Rooney

Saha

Solskjaer

Smith

van Nistelrooy

Rossi

Ebanks-Blake

Coogar will always look for excuses to buttress his points. Now look at the list above and consider if you still think Nistelrooy played with weak team mates. Infact he played along all possible big stars that has been there in United recent success story. From the list above, Nistelrooy has no excuse not to have carried the team to more trophies than just one EPL title. He played with Roy Kean, Stam, Ferdinand, Cole, York, Giggs and Scholes when they were younger than Rooney came as the backbone. In fact, if Nistelrooy had risen in big occasion as Rooney did, he should have at least taken United to a UCL final and more league. I have told you there are players who deliver the goods on big occasion while others only shine in small occasion.

As for Berbatov, he is not suppose to be in the argument in the first place. He could only score hatricks or even 5 goals against weak opposition like Blackburn, then you won't see him play a single quality attack against Chelsea, Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City and in knock out matches in the UCL. Yet some one is comparing him to Rooney, even Chicha posed a stronger threat than Berba in big ties. Berba only had a good ball control but he was too sluggish and ofter slow the attack.

Nistelrooy simply should have done better with the calibre of players around him all his stay. The players he met won lots of trophies before he came, during his time the trophies virtually dried up, as soon as he left the trophies returned.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 11:40am On May 17, 2013
this elampiro guy must be a joker....

listing ronaldo and fletcher as good players before 2007. ronaldo was worse than nani pre-2007. fletcher was a nobody pre-2007. was fletcher not the player roy keane criticised openly in 2005 that led to keano's departure from MUFC? wazza compared to ruud? van nistelrooy - the only player to have won PFA award in his debut season? shocked shocked ruud is easily the greatest striker in the premier league era. 150 goals in 219 games - #legend.

the team pre-2006 was very inferior. this is why they had the longest drought in the premier league era to win the league title. 2004, 2005 and 2006(3 consecutive seasons without a league title) is poor by united's high standard. the backbone of any team is the defence. van der sar + vidic + ferdinand cannot be compared to caroll + oshea + silvestre.

by 2007, united won it back and went on to win it for three consecutive seasons. our champions league record also improved with the emergence of vidic and evra - in contrast to oshea/ silvestre. you must be in lala-land! if you pay attention to details, even fergie said the 2006-2009 team was his best team in 24 years.

then on to berbatov - by far the most talented forward in the premier league. purchased for £31m to fit into a team where ball possession is below standard. he struggled in his first 2 seasons because he didn't fit into most of our fire brigade midfielders - by the 3rd season(with rooney acting foolish by demanding a transfer request), dimitar rose to the occasion and scored 21 league goals from open play(a feat rooney has never achieved in 8 seasons).

all those knock-out stats are meaningless - you are only trying to prove rooney is better than messi/ronaldo which is not true. the myth that rooney also operate from the deep is a lie. rooney was the arrow head in 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012. he's had 4 seasons as the target man and yet failed to deliver the boot even though he scores about 12 penalties in the league per season. rooney is the product of the british media hype. 50% talent + 120% hype.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 12:09pm On May 17, 2013
@elampiro,
Stop spewing this falsehood.
If you think van Nistelrooy was the problem, then your logic is flawed.
How can you term Kleberson, Djemba Djemba as formidable signings?
Roy Keane started being injured more often than not, how could we then have had a midfield that could challenge in Europe and at home?
2007/8, United had Carrick, Fletcher, Hargreaves and a newly-signed Anderson who dealt with Fabregas, Lampard and Gerrard in respective United fixtures vs the top four. Can you compare any of those with what we had in 2003-2006 as midfielders?
We had a rampaging Ronaldo, Luis Saha, and even Alan Smith along with Rooney in attack same year. We added Tevez for extra dimension.
Are you sure you were present around the era you are boldly declaring that we had personnel, when we finished 18 points behind Chelsea in 2005? Are you sure you feel that Chris Eagles, Johnson, Nardiello are part of the group that you call made men fit into the mould of "trophy-winning" players? Are you sure that Eckersley and Bardsley give your argument any credence?

I seriously doubt your United followership if you are putting up this as a defense.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 12:19pm On May 17, 2013
elampiro was not a united fan as at then....
he only started following united after 2010. quinton fortune, liam miller, phil bardsley, jonathan spector, phil neville, etc all had good number of appearances in 2004/5 season - how can anyone compare that to the carrick era when united spent close to £60m on their midfield?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 12:25pm On May 17, 2013
coogar: elampiro was not a united fan as at then....
he only started following united after 2010. quinton fortune, liam miller, phil bardsley, jonathan spector, phil neville, etc all had good number of appearances in 2004/5 season - how can anyone compare that to the carrick era when united spent close to £60m on their midfield?
He just showed it.
That squad was DIRE.
I remember the Champions League campaign of 2006 where we won only ONE game at home.
You forgot Richardson Keiran too.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by codedguy1(m): 12:25pm On May 17, 2013
StarBoard: @elampiro,
Roy Keane started being injured more often than not, how could we then have had a midfield that could challenge in Europe and at home?
2007/8, United had Carrick, Fletcher, Hargreaves and a newly-signed Anderson who dealt with Fabregas, Lampard and Gerrard in respective United fixtures vs the top four. Can you compare any of those with what we had in 2003-2006 as midfielders?
We had a rampaging Ronaldo, Luis Saha, and even Alan Smith along with Rooney in attack same year. We added Tevez for extra dimension.
Are you sure you were present around the era you are boldly declaring that we had personnel, when we finished 18 points behind Chelsea in 2005? Are you sure you feel that Chris Eagles, Johnson, Nardiello are part of the group that you call made men fit into the mould of "trophy-winning" players? Are you sure that Eckersley and Bardsley give your argument any credence?

I seriously doubt your United followership if you are putting up this as a defense.

Leave elampiro alone, he likes to write epistles about how he sees things and thinks that's the gospel truth.

The fear of RVN was the beginning of opposing keepers picking the balls from their net. He was phenomenal for United.

If Rooney wants to go let him go, the likes of Cantona and Ronaldo left and nothing happened. Rooney is a danm good player but should not hold United to ransom.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 12:28pm On May 17, 2013
Rooney better than Berbatov...

Oga, please give me some of what you're smoking; I need it for those days when depression sets in grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by codedguy1(m): 12:29pm On May 17, 2013
So football without the 'foot' = spheres now SMH
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 12:31pm On May 17, 2013
StarBoard:
He just showed it.
That squad was DIRE.
I remember the Champions League campaign of 2006 where we won only ONE game at home.
You forgot Richardson Keiran too.

very useless squad.....you can't watch us then. if we had the young ruud of 2001-2005 in 2007-11, we would have won the champions league more times than we did. for fücks' sake, we had roy caroll in goal! roy caroll?? i was watching the FA cup final shoot out versus arsenal in 2005 the other day. you should see caroll's attempt at trying to save penalties - my 120 year old granny would have done better.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:38pm On May 17, 2013
coogar: this elampiro guy must be a joker....

listing ronaldo and fletcher as good players before 2007. ronaldo was worse than nani pre-2007. fletcher was a nobody pre-2007. was fletcher not the player roy keane criticised openly in 2005 that led to keano's departure from MUFC? wazza compared to ruud? van nistelrooy - the only player to have won PFA award in his debut season? shocked shocked ruud is easily the greatest striker in the premier league era. 150 goals in 219 games - #legend.

the team pre-2006 was very inferior. this is why they had the longest drought in the premier league era to win the league title. 2004, 2005 and 2006(3 consecutive seasons without a league title) is poor by united's high standard. the backbone of any team is the defence. van der sar + vidic + ferdinand cannot be compared to caroll + oshea + silvestre.

by 2007, united won it back and went on to win it for three consecutive seasons. our champions league record also improved with the emergence of vidic and evra - in contrast to oshea/ silvestre. you must be in lala-land! if you pay attention to details, even fergie said the 2006-2009 team was his best team in 24 years.

then on to berbatov - by far the most talented forward in the premier league. purchased for £31m to fit into a team where ball possession is below standard. he struggled in his first 2 seasons because he didn't fit into most of our fire brigade midfielders - by the 3rd season(with rooney acting foolish by demanding a transfer request), dimitar rose to the occasion and scored 21 league goals from open play(a feat rooney has never achieved in 8 seasons).

all those knock-out stats are meaningless - you are only trying to prove rooney is better than messi/ronaldo which is not true. the myth that rooney also operate from the deep is a lie. rooney was the arrow head in 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012. he's had 4 seasons as the target man and yet failed to deliver the boot even though he scores about 12 penalties in the league per season. rooney is the product of the british media hype. 50% talent + 120% hype.

Coogar, for once give up. Just compare you argument with mine and draw a conclusion. Now, I am convinced you know the truth, but you dont want to be seen as defeated in an argument on a thread you chair or boss.

2003/4 Van Nistelrooy played along side Ferdinand, Brown, Garry Nevilled. Giggs, Scholes Butt and Kean in the midfield. That was Giggs and Scholes of 2003. Then he had Soksjan and Folan to pair in attack just. He had arlier paired Yorke and Cole.

2005/6 Nistelrooy had Van Der Sar, Ferdinand, Evra, Brown, Heinze,Oshea and Garry Neville. Giggs, Scholes, Park, Kean and Flecther in the midfield. Solksjan and Rooney in the attack.

Rememeber, it was you who claimed he didnt have quality players during his time. But when compared, the team was much solid then. You should know we don't have Kean now, we don't have Scholes and Giggs as they used to be. Yet, Rooney delivered. Purpose.

Recently, SAF said his current team was comparable to his best, 1999. I don't know where 2006 to 2009 is coming from. The 1999 team was voted second best of all time EPL best teams behind Arsenal unbeaten team in 49 matches.

Berbatov, 31m pounds. How does that translate to performance? Have you heard of a super flop? How much was he sold? Even Giggs would worth much more.

Berbatov 21 gaols a record Rooney has not achieved from open play? May be you are not aware Rooney scored 27 EPL goals last season. Berbatove and Chicharito were the top men, incase you don't know.

Rooney point man in 2007,8,10 and 12? So what was Saha doing in 2007? What was Tevez doing in 2008? What were Chicharito and lazy Berbatov doing in 2012? If you want ball Jogglers go to National stadium, Lagos and see ball jogglers. Or you can ask Okocha. It doesn't translate into a purposeful football. Rooney arrived as a teenager and he hit business immediately. Even SAF said about 3 weeks ago that he prefers young players because old ones don't always work for the club. He said the recent is Berbatov.

I didn't try to prove Rooney is better than Messi or Ronaldo as I have never alleged that. I only clarify you on your false claim that Rooney was just part of the number in his champions league success. He scored in vital and crucial matches. For instance, he scored in Rome against Roma but in the return leg, SAF rested him and Ronaldo, then played Tevez.

Give Rooney one or two more seasons, he would be the highest in terms of goals for the club, and just behind a few players in terms of laurels. That is success. That is why we can boast of United before Chelsea and other clubs fans.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:44pm On May 17, 2013
StarBoard: @elampiro,

You forgot to add that we had Giggs and Scholes in that midfield. We added Park, Gibson and Flectcher then just as we added Carrick in 2006/7, then Hargreaves and Anderson in 2007/8. Anderson and Carrick were fresh just as you guys claimed Park, Flecthcer and Gibson were fresh. Even Eagles was he not a human being?

Note: I am not categorically saying Nistelrooy was the problem. No. I respect his achievements for United. But the point is, Coogar wrote as if he never had quality players around him and Rooney's achievement were just a luck of playing in a successful team. So I had to give him the facts that Rooney carried his team through hurdles. On the other hand I have to clear him that Nistelrooy had quality around him as against his claims.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:48pm On May 17, 2013
coogar: elampiro was not a united fan as at then....

I started following United as far back as 1995/6.

Carrick came first before other midfielders in subsequent season. Carrick, next season Anderson and Hargreaves. They were not a 60m stuff out together. Thats exaggeration.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 12:51pm On May 17, 2013
elampiro, whoever brought you to this forum must be running a circus cos you are surely a clown. in 2003/4, rio was suspended for 8 months, brown was mediocre and he was never fit to start games. nicky butt wasn't even better than gibson.

in 2005/6, scholes went blind, keane left, evra and vidic didn't join till january and they were even wet behind the ears in the game they featured in that season. our team lacked depth. ruud played with inferior players thorough out - there were just too many passengers in the team.

berbatov scored 21 league goals from open play - when rooney scored 27 league goals, 9 of them were from penalties. are you sure you understand the meaning of open play? in 2006/7 - united still stuck to 4-4-2. in 2007/8, it was 4-3-3/4-4-2. most games had rooney n tevez in partnership as a strike force.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:53pm On May 17, 2013
RuuDie: Rooney better than Berbatov...

Oga, please give me some of what you're smoking; I need it for those days when depression sets in grin

No bros, it's the other way round. Prove that Berbatov was better with facts. Is it to slow our attack and jog the ball. There lots of ball jogglers. Etim Esin was one. Even in the Nigerian stadia, you will find thousands. How much loss did we got from his sale just after two and half season or so. Even after 9 years, United will make money from Rooney. Giggs will cost more than Berbatov in the market. We are talking of demand here. You are carried away from his few flash moments against bottom teams. 4 goals in a match against Blackburn. But you wont see him when played against Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton and co.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 1:03pm On May 17, 2013
elampiro:
I started following United as far back as 1995/6.

Carrick came first before other midfielders in subsequent season. Carrick, next season Anderson and Hargreaves. They were not a 60m stuff out together. Thats exaggeration.

who said they were together? i said it was during carrick's era united spent £60m on their midfield. learn to read english very well before making daft comments.

carrick came in £16m, 12 months later, united purchased nani, hargreaves and anderson(£50m outlay). within 12 months, united spent about £66m on their midfield - how can you compare that to what was available pre-2007?

this was fergie hailing the squad in 2007.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7089910.stm

six months later in 2008, he repeated the same phrase....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2299638/Is-this-Fergusons-best-Man-United-squad.html
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 1:15pm On May 17, 2013
coogar: elampiro, whoever brought you to this forum must be running a circus cos you are surely a clown. in 2003/4, rio was suspended for 8 months, brown was mediocre and he was never fit to start games. nicky butt wasn't even better than gibson.

in 2005/6, scholes went blind, keane left, evra and vidic didn't join till january and they were even wet behind the ears in the game they featured in that season. our team lacked depth. ruud played with inferior players thorough out - there were just too many passengers in the team.

berbatov scored 21 league goals from open play - when rooney scored 27 league goals, 9 of them were from penalties. are you sure you understand the meaning of open play? in 2006/7 - united still stuck to 4-4-2. in 2007/8, it was 4-3-3/4-4-2. most games had rooney n tevez in partnership as a strike force.
[b]
So now suddenly beacuse argument is on, the current United team now has a great defence. The defence you guys criticized when the De Gea argument came up. Now we have a midfield. The midfield we have all said has not been the same since Hargreave's left. Ruud did not play with inferior players, they didn't just fly. Is Cleverly, Jones, Smalling, aging Ferdinand, Scholes and Giggs great players at the moment? What about inconsistent Anderson, Young, Tosic, Obertan, etc.

In 2006/2007 Van Der Sar broke his shoulder and was out for a long time. Vidic and Ferdinard missed lots of crucial matches to injuries. Brown and Pique went into the middle in some difficult situations and Pique was very nervous. Eagles played a few matches. Thomas Cukzaks kept quite a number of matches, Giggs and Scholes had aged more, yet they played a prominent role. It is not better now. We had a great team in 2008, that I can agree beacuse Agreaves was fit, but his games were managed in alignment to his ailing knee's treatment.

Rooney score penalties, are they not part of the goals, I can guess he won most of them. RVP, Lampard, Messi and Ronaldo also score penalties. Sometimes the job is not so easy.

4-4-2, 4-3-3, etc is just in name. Everyone knew the striker that was to stay in the opponents area permanently and the one to join the defence while defending......
[/b]
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 1:25pm On May 17, 2013
coogar:

who said they were together? i said it was during carrick's era united spent £60m on their midfield. learn to read english very well before making daft comments.

carrick came in £16m, 12 months later, united purchased nani, hargreaves and anderson(£50m outlay). within 12 months, united spent about £66m on their midfield - how can you compare that to what was available pre-2007?

this was fergie hailing the squad in 2007.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7089910.stm

six months later in 2008, he repeated the same phrase....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2299638/Is-this-Fergusons-best-Man-United-squad.html

@Coogar, daft comments? Well not in my culture to resort to such, so I will ignore.

In this argument, I have given enough facts, any honest mind should know the truth.

Thank God you agreed that they were not bought same time. And it is also true that Nani, Anderson, Carrick and Hargreaves were not better than Kean, Scholes, GIggs, Flectcher and co who were there before. Moreover, the cost of transfer had risen significantly in 2007/8, so buying 4 players at that amount then was not so much a big deal.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 1:43pm On May 17, 2013
elampiro:
So now suddenly beacuse argument is on, the current United team now has a great defence. The defence you guys criticized when the De Gea argument came up. Now we have a midfield. The midfield we have all said has not been the same since Hargreave's left. Ruud did not play with inferior players, they didn't just fly. Is Cleverly, Jones, Smalling, aging Ferdinand, Scholes and Giggs great players? What about inconsistent Anderson, Young, Tosic, Obertan, etc.

be at your sharpest wit when debating....
the comparison was the team with ruud and the team post-ruud. ruud left in 2006. rio/vidic went on to strike a partnership that even united critics were forced to admit is the best in the history of the premier league. they both made the PFA team in 2007, 2008 and 2009.

the comparison is not with the current squad. the comparison is the strength in depth of 01/02 - 05/06 vs 06/07 - 12/13 did rooney not play with the team that kept the longest run of clean sheets in the premier league? did rooney not play with the squad that kept the longest unbeaten run in europe? did rooney not play alongside a ballon d'or winner? what's the comparison?

In 2006/2007 Van Der Sar broke his shoulder and was out for a long time. Vidic and Ferdinard missed lots of crucial matches to injuries. Brown and Pique went into the middle in some difficult situations and Pique was very nervous. Eagles played a few matches. Thomas Cukzaks kept quite a number of matches, Giggs and Scholes had aged more, yet they played a prominent role. It is not better now. We had a great team in 2008, that I can agree beacuse Agreaves was fit, but his games were managed in alignment to his ailing knee's treatment.

you are a big liar......
van der sar made 32 league appearances in 06/07, more than de gea managed this season. he made a total 45 appearances that season. that's not enough? rio made 33 league appearances, vidic made 25. we had no piqué in the squad that season - another evidence that you didn't watch united as at 2007.

brown made 17 league appearances mostly against mid-table teams. we had oshea, silvestre, etc as bench players. chris eagles made a total of 2 appearances all season as a starter against chelsea at the bridge after the league was won and as a substitute against everton when he scored the 4th goal. kusczack kept the goal only 6 times in the league that season - how did that weaken us? you need facts to argue in this terrain not hearsays!

Rooney score penalties, are they not part of the goals, I can guess he won most of them. RVP, Lampard, Messi and Ronaldo also score penalties. Sometimes the job is not so easy.

logic says a striker that takes penalties is more likely to score more goals. taking a free shot on target without a marker can't be difficult for a professional player. a good percentage of rooney's goals came from the penalties he plays. berbatov is miles better than rooney at everything!

4-4-2, 4-3-3, etc is just in name. Everyone knew the striker that was to stay in the opponents area permanently and the one to join the defence while defending......

if that's the point then united played a strikerless formation in most games in 2007/8. the front 3 roamed throughout. rooney, ronaldo, tevez had no fixed positions for united. rooney did no tracking back, we had hargo, scholes, anderson, carrick, fletcher, oshea, etc to keep things steady in the midfield.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 1:53pm On May 17, 2013
elampiro:
@Coogar, daft comments? Well not in my culture to resort to such, so I will ignore.
In this argument, I have given enough facts, any honest mind should know the truth.

you have told lies all through it......van der sar was out for many matches? kusczack kept the goal for many matches? you even saw piqué in our team in 06/07? grin

Thank God you agreed that they were not bought same time. And it is also true that Nani, Anderson, Carrick and Hargreaves were not better than Kean, Scholes, GIggs, Flectcher and co who were there before. Moreover, the cost of transfer had risen significantly in 2007/8, so buying 4 players at that amount then was not so much a big deal.

keane had aged considerably after 2004. fletcher was rubbish until 2008. giggs/scholes were not exactly pulling down the trees either - just living on past glory. the players we bought that season got us the champions league......little wonder hargreaves, nani and anderson were called upon in moscow when push came to shove and they did not disappoint!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 1:53pm On May 17, 2013
Ferguson: 'Everything is in place for a big signing'

May 5, 2013 7:35:00 AM
The manager has praised the club's owners the Glazers, insisting that he will continue to be backed in the transfer market if he identifies a player who could improve the squad.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is anticipating a significant arrival this summer after admitting "everything is in place for a big signing."

Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski reportedly tops Ferguson's wish-list, while a move for Tottenham star Gareth Bale and a shock return to Old Trafford for Cristiano Ronaldo have also been mooted.

"Everything is in place for a big signing. I think that the Glazers have been great. Whenever I have asked, they have delivered. If I ask to go for a certain player, I think they will do that," Ferguson told The Daily Mirror. "When I spoke about value in the market a while back, I was talking about young, developing players. Maybe there has been a wind of change and I could go for a really top player now. We have a nucleus of young players here, but we may spend something.

"When it’s a top player, it doesn’t matter what position they play in. I will bring them in if they add to the team. Last season we had [Javier] Hernandez, [Danny] Welbeck and [Wayne] Rooney and we still went out and bought Robin van Persie.”

The purchase of van Persie went against the policy of a "nucleus of young players" at Old Trafford, and Ferguson admitted the deal to bring the striker from Arsenal was heavily discussed following similar, but less successful moves in the past.

"Van Persie’s age was ­certainly an issue ­because it has not always worked when we have bought older players," Ferguson said. "David Gill said to me after we bought Dimitar Berbatov [from Tottenham for 30 million pounds] that we had to be careful when signing older players, but van Persie was ­different. He was phenomenal for Arsenal last season and so I was confident it would work.”

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/69/transfer-zone/2013/05/05/3955641/ferguson-everything-is-in-place-for-a-big-signing

... and so some fans here believe Berbatov was great. I am waiting for someone to calculate how much loss his business cost the club in profit/loss in less than three years. Rooney will surely give us a profit even after many years of productivity.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 1:59pm On May 17, 2013
I knew Ruudie would make an appearance once elampiro downgraded Berba. lol
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 2:00pm On May 17, 2013
coogar:

be at your sharpest wit when debating....
the comparison was the team with ruud and the team post-ruud. ruud left in 2006. rio/vidic went on to strike a partnership that even united critics were forced to admit is the best in the history of the premier league. they both made the PFA team in 2007, 2008 and 2009.

the comparison is not with the current squad. the comparison is the strength in depth of 01/02 - 05/06 vs 06/07 - 12/13 did rooney not play with the team that kept the longest run of clean sheets in the premier league? did rooney not play with the squad that kept the longest unbeaten run in europe? did rooney not play alongside a ballon d'or winner? what's the comparison?

you are a big liar......
van der sar made 32 league appearances in 06/07, more than de gea managed this season. he made a total 45 appearances that season. that's not enough? rio made 33 league appearances, vidic made 25. we had no piqué in the squad that season - another evidence that you didn't watch united as at 2007.

brown made 17 league appearances mostly against mid-table teams. we had oshea, silvestre, etc as bench players. chris eagles made a total of 2 appearances all season as a starter against chelsea at the bridge after the league was won and as a substitute against everton when he scored the 4th goal. kusczack kept the goal only 6 times in the league that season - how did that weaken us? you need facts to argue in this terrain not hearsays!

logic says a striker that takes penalties is more likely to score more goals. taking a free shot on target without a marker can't be difficult for a professional player. a good percentage of rooney's goals came from the penalties he plays. berbatov is miles better than rooney at everything!

if that's the point then united played a strikerless formation in most games in 2007/8. the front 3 roamed throughout. rooney, ronaldo, tevez had no fixed positions for united. rooney did no tracking back, we had hargo, scholes, anderson, carrick, fletcher, oshea, etc to keep things steady in the midfield.

I could not even read this piece by piece argument. May be if I have time at night I will read. But I have seen some attck on my person instead of attacking the issue. When it gets to that stage, you know someone is dazed already. grin grin

Anyway, I cannot be bullied by anyone. At same time, anyone reading with an open mind will know the truth of the facts I have presented. Even in hundreds years time, records don't change. No one can change any of Rooney's achievements in United. Even as fans are writing bitterly or hating about his request to go, one thing is common among reprts, this man is great. I hail king Rooney.

I am back to my work till night.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 2:16pm On May 17, 2013
elampiro:

I could not even read this piece by piece argument. May be if I have time at night I will read. But I have seen some attck on my person instead of attacking the issue. When it gets to that stage, you know someone is dazed already. grin grin

Anyway, I cannot be bullied by anyone. At same time, anyone reading with an open mind will know the truth of the facts I have presented. Even in hundreds years time, records don't change. No one can change any of Rooney's achievements in United. Even as fans are writing bitterly or hating about his request to go, one thing is common among reprts, this man is great. I hail king Rooney.

I am back to my work till night.

how would you read it when your lies have been exposed? get your facts right before you post comments here instead of telling us van der sar missed a lot of games because of a broken shoulder.....

even fergie knows berbatov is the better talent - he was forced to concede running around like headless chickens do not cut the mustard. fergie also told the media dimitar was never a flop but he didnt suit the kind of tempo we wanted.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 2:26pm On May 17, 2013
[quote author=coogar]

you are a big liar......

I just have to react to this.
I may have missed up a few things between 2007-2008, that doesn't mean I dont know what I am saying about the team. If you put Vidic and Ferdiand missed matches together will make you undestand that someone who was less experience did the cover that period. I am not chanced to go into details. I knew in thos two season, Pique ands Oshea made covers and Piquue was nervous. Perhaps it was Oshea and Brown that gave the cover in 2006/7 while Pique, the following year. My point remains that there has never been a time we didn't have injuries, aged players and inexperience players.Remmeber, Nisterooy played with Stam, Garry and Phil Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Brown, Oshea, Heinze , Silvester and Vidic.

I have watched over 95% of United matches since 2003. I have watched over 70 % since 1998. The earlier years were abit difficult because access to DSTV was hard. I have been near 100% live on our matches since 2005. Any one I missed I re-watch it.

Just had to correct that impression before I go. I will be back tonight.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 2:49pm On May 17, 2013
elampiro:
I just have to react to this
I may have missed up a few things between 2007-2008, that doesn't mean I dont know what I am saying about the team. If you put Vidic and Ferdiand missed matches together will make you undestand that someone who was less experience did the cover that period. I am not chanced to go into details.

your biggest weakness is you don't know when to give up after being caught out. if rio made 33 league appearances out of 38, how much cover did his deputy provide? can't you see the folly in your argument?

I knew in thos two season, Pique ands Oshea made covers and Piquue was nervous. Perhaps it was Oshea and Brown that gave the cover in 2006/7 while Pique, the following year. My point remains that there has never been a time we didn't have injuries, aged players and inexperience players.

if you actually followed united that season, you won't mix anything up. the point of having injuries, aged players or inexperienced player is an academic point - it is what replaces the first choice players that matters. in 2007/8, when scholes/carrick weren't up for it, anderson and hargreaves would play(no difference in quality). nani as a backup player had the highest number of assists that season for man utd(our quality was that great) there was no difference between the quality of the starting team and the players on the bench..... unlike 2004/5, 2005/6.

Remmeber, Nisterooy played with Stam, Garry and Phil Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Brown, Oshea, Heinze , Silvester and Vidic.

and nistelrooy won all the available trophies in england but the champions league. how many games did ruud play with evra/vidic? how good were evra/vidic in 2006? didnt evra cost us the manchester derby and vidic getring rapëd by crouch at anfield when liverpool knocked united out of the fa cup?

I have watched over 95% of United matches since 2003. I have watched over 70 % since 1998. The earlier years were abit difficult because access to DSTV was hard. I have been near 100% live on our matches since 2005. Any one I missed I re-watch it.

Just had to correct that impression before I go. I will be back tonight.

you might have to do a memory check again. you must have watched leeds united, sheffield united or newcastle united! i am 100% sure you didn't watch man utd. evra had only 7 starts, vidic had 9 and yet ruud is meant to have benefitted from this to win the league? grin

united were already out of the champions league by the time vidic/evra arrived in january but elampiro still expected ruud to win the champions league with vidic/rio? grin cheesy bro, i can write everything you know about man utd on a grain of rice!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by n0m0705(m): 2:56pm On May 17, 2013
Many people are angry with Rooney for putting in yet another transfer request, I get that, even I am angry with him. But to say that Rooney is not an important player for man u is criminal, some even go as far as comparing Rooney with Berbatov, COMMON! Berbatov that had one good season for United, he was not even our best player the season he scored 21 goals, Nani was, I could vividly remembered that they called him "flat track bully then" cos he scored most of those goals against very weak opposition.
Rooney has not been in his best this season, accepted, but you can not judge him base on that alone. Our style of play was dire this season except a few games, but check out those games where our play was very impressive you'll find Rooney at the heart of every thing. Even when Ronaldo was getting all the accolade, I personally preferred Rooney cos of his overall contribution. Had Rooney been in good form this season, with the form of Carrick and RVP, we would have seen the best style of play from United this season. This current United team will not be able to challenge consistently without Rooney, he is like our play maker, what we expect from him is just too much. Forget kagawa for the moment, who else do we have upfront. I put it to anybody to name the best 10 players in europe over the last 5 years if rooney will not be there.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by n0m0705(m): 3:08pm On May 17, 2013
Many people are angry with Rooney for putting in yet another transfer request, I get that, even I am angry with him. But to say that Rooney is not an important player for man u is criminal, some even go as far as comparing Rooney with Berbatov, COMMON! Berbatov that had one good season for United, he was not even our best player the season he scored 21 goals, Nani was, I could vividly remembered that they called him "flat track bully then" cos he scored most of those goals against very weak opposition.
Rooney has not been in his best this season, accepted, but you can not judge him base on that alone. Our style of play was dire this season except a few games, but check out those games where our play was very impressive you'll find Rooney at the heart of every thing. Even when Ronaldo was getting all the accolade, I personally preferred Rooney cos of his overall contribution. Had Rooney been in good form this season, with the form of Carrick and RVP, we would have seen the best style of play from United this season. This current United team will not be able to challenge consistently without Rooney, he is like our play maker, what we expect from him is just too much. Forget kagawa for the moment, who else do we have upfront. I put it to anybody to name the best 10 players in europe over the last 5 years if rooney will not be there.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 3:22pm On May 17, 2013
hatrick against liverpool is weak opposition? this kind of excuse makes me laugh. there are only 5 top teams in england including united, logic dictates berbatov would score more goals against the other 15 teams than the top 4 sides.

rooney is just media hype......are people saying rooney doesn't score a higher percentage of his goals against bottom sides? this is a straw man argument at best! remove rooney's cheap penalties from his stats and he's not even close to dimitar!

(1) (2) (3) ... (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) ... (14158) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: Wealth1105 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.