Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,362 members, 7,864,689 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 01:15 AM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (464) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8877179 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) (467) ... (14218) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 01, 2013
RuuDie:

Perhaps it'd help if the manager knew that if he outrightly dropped or played out of position certain "senior" players, the FANS will not get on his case so much. This may be a possible reason holding DM back from making bold, radical changes on the field - it is one thing to do that to a backroom staff, not many of us know and appreciate them as against the players we see regularly in the spotlight. It is very important that pressure isn't heaped on the manager unnecessarily; especially from the folks that ought to be supporting him.

This man has a very difficult job and we have to appreciate first and foremost. That said, the onus is on him to win your trust and respect (he already has mine regardless)... and I believe he will come good eventually - these travails only make the triumph at the end much sweeter!
Not sure he has the balls to take those radical decisions needed because his antics since 1st July only portend to fears in one direction.
Dropping the players is only minuscule when compared to he situation on ground. He needs to realize this is United. His penchant for talking without a mute button in his brain shows a person without control given the rubbish he's been saying to the media.
My fears are that he's following the wrong kind of advise.
He needed the guidance of the back room staff to ease him in but decided against keeping them. Instead of doing what's best for the side, he's playing Rooney to appease him and he keeps showering him with econiums even when it was obvious that Rooney could have done a whole lot better. He is taking control from the wrong direction in my view.
I really fear for he worst. He hasn't done a good job of winning the collective trust of he United faithful (take a survey and see how many fans approve of his methods and believe in his ability to deliver tangible achievements, not his Everton-style mediocre finishes)
He may come good but I think he needs to turn his approach around in a different direction. There are rumors that he is engaging in boot-camp style training sessions. I don't want to get into that, but I'm sure there is some kind of disturbance in the dressing room, given the quality assessment or lack thereof of his players.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 5:46pm On Oct 01, 2013
StarBoard:
He cannot sacrifice Rooney for the good of the team and is already dancing to his tune and courting his attention by making him captain unnecessarily. A$$ kissing so early in the season to an over-rated player.
Instead he's shafting Kagawa to the left when its obvious we won't get he best out of him from that position. Rooney who could be suited to playing there cannot be talked into it because he (Moyes) has no spine.
Sigh

this bit is the reason we won't be scoring in a while. rooney is not as technically gifted as kagawa to play in the hole. one could argue kagawa isn't as strong as rooney to track back & make recoveries but rooney has not been doing that this season either....

moyes has no spinal cord to put rooney on the bench or play him on the flank & let kagawa float in the hole. the creativity from open play is suffering & it's eroding the confidence of the fans. kagawa playing from the left denies us width from the left channel & in the absence of evra, the defeat was inevitable.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 6:45pm On Oct 01, 2013
Here's hoping for more success in October. smiley
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 6:51pm On Oct 01, 2013
Mr_TA: Here's hoping for more success in October. smiley

unless rooney breaks his metatarsal.....it's a pipe dream to think we can be successful with this side.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 7:10pm On Oct 01, 2013
coogar:

this bit is the reason we won't be scoring in a while. rooney is not as technically gifted as kagawa to play in the hole. one could argue kagawa isn't as strong as rooney to track back & make recoveries but rooney has not been doing that this season either....

moyes has no spinal cord to put rooney on the bench or play him on the flank & let kagawa float in the hole. the creativity from open play is suffering & it's eroding the confidence of the fans. kagawa playing from the left denies us width from the left channel & in the absence of evra, the defeat was inevitable.
Hmm I think you made a valid observation here, especially the width thing having Kagawa on the wings with great tendency to drift inward.
However, do you think playing Rooney on the wings won't have same effects? I hope Moyes gives it a trial cuz Rooney is dynamic enough & keeping him on the bench is something that is not plausible for now, our out & out wingers are offering very little going forward
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 9:10pm On Oct 01, 2013
What problems do you people have with Rooney again?

Na wao!!!

Rooney has been our best player so far. The only time Rooney has been below optimal was the 2nd half against West Brom. But Moyes should know the guy needs a rest. He has been running and tackling too much. Anyone who said he doesn't track back is not being sincere. Against West Brom he did the marking more than Kagawa, he touched the ball more often. The whole of West Brom setting was a mess. From Defence to midfield, and Chicha+Nani who decided to isolate themselves from the rest fo the team. A gradual attacking build up from midfield would have been more beneficial.

As we go to Ukraine, I should have suggested that Rooney should be rested, but again he is our most experienced and reliable warlord in Europe. It's so choke for him.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 9:14pm On Oct 01, 2013
To me this KAgawa talk is purely out of sentiments and not from any kind of form or play. His performance so far does not warrant him being in the first team. Everyone saw what Nani did from two separate positions. Although we have to watch out for consistency. Being consistent over several games is what separate the men from the boys.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Purist(m): 10:49pm On Oct 01, 2013
Coogar has a point here. There is a strong reason to suspect that our creativity is suffering at the moment because of Rooney. This is not an indictment of Rooney's ability at all, but a question of where he's most effective for the TEAM as a whole. The article below sums it all up so aptly.

IS WAYNE ROONEY CENTRAL TO UNITED’S WOES?

Since Wayne Rooney returned to the starting line-up following the 4-1 win against Swansea, Manchester United failed to registered an open play goal in the Premier League, with this unwanted record continuing in the 2-1 defeat against West Brom Albion this weekend.

In a country where power is appreciated over technique, running over positioning, tackling over tactical intelligence and directness over possession, Rooney has been hyped up for possessing these ‘ideal’ qualities. In last 5 matches, Rooney has been hailed by pundits, journalists and fans for his good performances due to his non-stop running, determination and work rate. With Rooney scoring 3 goals via free kick in last 3 matches, all this has served as a smokescreen, for Rooney struggles the #10 role .

If we analyse Rooney’s stats from the past 5 Premier League matches, he has made 34 long passes and only 4 through balls with an average pass accuracy rate of only 74%, very poor for someone playing as a playmaker.

Rooney has been unable to provide any threat in between the lines as he does not have the quick feet and quick thinking to play in most congested area.When there were opposition players around him, he’s been poor holding up the ball and finds himself unable to escape with the ball to create openings.

Due to his limitation, Rooney’s frequently drops deep to find himself a little bit of space, thus playing long diagonal ball to the wingers hence the whopping 34 long passes, not good enough for a player whose primary role is to inflict damage higher up the pitch.

With Rooney unable to offer any options and threat through the middle, United have opt to attack through horribly out of form wingers. Unfortunately something easily dealt with by defending deep and limiting the space at the byline so that our wingers and fullbacks have difficulty providing quality crosses.

As a result, United have looked short of ideas and penetration in the final third of the pitch, with opposition teams easily stifling United’s predictable attacking play.

Following United’s 2-1 defeat to West Brom, David Moyes admitted:

“We lacked an intensity and spark to our game, and in the end they deserved the win, I can’t argue with that. In the first half we had a lot of the ball and tried to move it – we probably controlled a lot of the game – but I thought for all our possession we didn’t create a lot of opportunities. And when we did, we didn’t take them.”

“Possession without cutting edge” is a recurring theme for his side since taking over the helm from Sir Alex and with the 2-1 defeat to West Brom, Moyes has said that he needed to evaluate the players at his disposal. The problem is that he has been chopping and changing all the outfield players… except Wayne Rooney.

He made a number of changes in the second half but left Rooney on, even though he had one of his poorer games so far and seemed short of ideas playing in the hole. The decision to sub off Shinji Kagawa at half time instead of moving him inside and pushing Rooney to the left or higher up was confusing, especially as Kagawa was one of the players likely to create something, with Nani.

During the 4-1 defeat against Manchester City, Moyes played Rooney in the hole with Welbeck ahead of him. It proved to be disaster as Van Persie has been compensating for Wayne Rooney’s shortcomings in that area with his technical abilities. If Welbeck was played behind Wayne Rooney against City, I believe it will make a whole lot of different in that match with Welbeck better equipped to beat opponents in that area.

The problem with Wayne Rooney is that he is not a #9 type of striker who playing high up the pitch looking to make a run behind the opposition back four as he likes to drop deep nor he is a playmaker or ”trequartista”with the guile, craft and technical abilities to impose damage in between the line as he lacks the touch, the hold up play or the quick feet to skip past defenders in the most crowded area on the pitch.

Wayne Rooney is still a very good all around player but I don’t think he is suited to be playing as a playmaker, David Moyes needs to find the best position for Rooney and the best way to utilise his strengths but clearly, his strengths are not made for the role of #10.

As an alternative, perhaps David Moyes should start utilising Shinji Kagawa more in the #10 role.

Sir Alex had been trying hard to bring in a playmaker toward the end of his tenure, as can be seen in his pursuit of Wesley Sneijder, the best #10 at that time. Missing out on him, in the end managed to bring in Shinji Kagawa who was named the best player in Bundesliga for the past 2 seasons.

Sir Alex’s transfer activity clearly showed that he was aware of the weakness in that area for United, and he thus attempted to rectify it.

Kagawa debut season was interrupted by injury, this year he is keen to make up for lost ground. Perhaps Moyes should give him the chance to.

http://www.prideofalleurope.com/2013/10/is-wayne-rooney-central-to-uniteds-woes/

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 10:49pm On Oct 01, 2013
^^ I don't agree with you that Kagawa clamor is about sentiment. Kagawa is not even African or black or whatever & the same clamor trends on twitter worldwide every other day. I believe its a useful suggestion & in case you don't understand the point, here is it...
We know Rooney has the power & dynamism & all that what naught to slot into various positions while Kagawa is an indomie but technically proficient for his basic role which is the man directly behind the striker/strikers through the middle; why do we continue playing Kagawa out of position which limits his direct influence when we know he doesn't have all that strength naturally & keep playing Rooney in the 'hole' when we know his influence can still be felt out of the 'hole'?
This is not about victimizing any player, its a good suggestion for the team benefit echoed by fans of Man United around the world.
Did you watch Januzaj operate as No. 10 two days back for the U-21s? Now that's the definition of an attacking midfielder

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 10:54pm On Oct 01, 2013
Ukraine is not the safest of grounds to play footie.

Facing a team of brazilians can be punishment.

To be warned...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 11:04pm On Oct 01, 2013
Slow start cheesy
Let's see if he overtakes them all

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by adebayo201: 11:36pm On Oct 01, 2013
El Guapo: Ukraine is not the safest of grounds to play footie.

Facing a team of brazilians can be punishment.

To be warned...
this is where we needed Kagawa,Nani and Rafael most. Let us see what they can do.!
United! We can stil do it!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 11:51pm On Oct 01, 2013
SailorXY:
Hmm I think you made a valid observation here, especially the width thing having Kagawa on the wings with great tendency to drift inward.
However, do you think playing Rooney on the wings won't have same effects? I hope Moyes gives it a trial cuz Rooney is dynamic enough & keeping him on the bench is something that is not plausible for now, our out & out wingers are offering very little going forward

compare the intensity in the swansea game with what we are serving recently. rooney can't operate between the lines, he's technically deficient to function there. kagawa has the eye for a pass, he can keep the ball & he's got more intelligence in his left toe than wayne rooney can ever be.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 12:47am On Oct 02, 2013
adebayo201: this is where we needed Kagawa,Nani and Rafael most. Let us see what they can do.!
United! We can stil do it!

Bernard and Teixeira...

Those names would have to be ur nitemare till the week runs out cheesy
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 7:00am On Oct 02, 2013
So rooney is being blamed for d team's lack of creativity cos he plays in d hole despite d fact dt on dis same thread, we all complain about our virtually non-existent wing play/ poor form of our wingers. Nawa o
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by n0m0705(m): 7:06am On Oct 02, 2013
I just can'T stop laughing at some people here, so it is now because rooney is playing in the hole that makes us stop scoring from open play, if my memory serves me right, it was welbeck that started behind rvp against swansea and we scored from open play, is welbeck more creative than rooney? The case of kagawa is now becoming the more he is benched the better he becomes in the eyes of many fans. The fact is that the guy has not shown any form to convince that he can play better than rooney in the hole, there are countless no of play maker that play from the wing and are still creative, afterall it is not as if he is stationed on the flank. silver, mata, iniesta, nasri, ozil, cazorla and so on are playmaker that play from both flank and middle and their creativity does not suffer one bit. So it is either kagawa is not good enough or he is yet to adapt to united style of play. He is slow, not strong on the ball and loses possession too much. In short he has not impressed at all

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 7:14am On Oct 02, 2013
n0m0705: I just can'T stop laughing at some people here, so it is now because rooney is playing in the hole that makes us stop scoring from open play, if my memory serves me right, it was welbeck that started behind rvp against swansea and we scored from open play, is welbeck more creative than rooney? The case of kagawa is now becoming the more he is benched the better he becomes in the eyes of many fans. The fact is that the guy has not shown any form to convince that he can play better than rooney in the hole, there are countless no of play maker that play from the wing and are still creative, afterall it is not as if he is stationed on the flank. silver, mata, iniesta, nasri, ozil, cazorla and so on are playmaker that play from both flank and middle and their creativity does not suffer one bit. So it is either kagawa is not good enough or he is yet to adapt to united style of play. He is slow, not strong on the ball and loses possession too much. In short he has not impressed at all
spot on, bro! I'm a fan of kagawa, and i'd rili like him to rediscover d form dt made us sign him, bt d truth is dt he hasnt put in convincing performances dt will make him command a regular place in d starting lineup. D issue of him losing possession too much, is d most annoying
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 7:16am On Oct 02, 2013
n0m0705: I just can'T stop laughing at some people here, so it is now because rooney is playing in the hole that makes us stop scoring from open play, if my memory serves me right, it was welbeck that started behind rvp against swansea and we scored from open play, is welbeck more creative than rooney? The case of kagawa is now becoming the more he is benched the better he becomes in the eyes of many fans. The fact is that the guy has not shown any form to convince that he can play better than rooney in the hole, there are countless no of play maker that play from the wing and are still creative, afterall it is not as if he is stationed on the flank. silver, mata, iniesta, nasri, ozil, cazorla and so on are playmaker that play from both flank and middle and their creativity does not suffer one bit. So it is either kagawa is not good enough or he is yet to adapt to united style of play. He is slow, not strong on the ball and loses possession too much. In short he has not impressed at all
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 7:20am On Oct 02, 2013
The fact is d@ it looked like we were going to score until Kagawa left.

Maybe DM should try Kagawa on d right while giving him free role like Silva. I wouldn't want the LW cos d@ will expose Evra whose defensive abilities is now abysmal.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 7:30am On Oct 02, 2013
dademola: spot on, bro! I'm a fan of kagawa, and i'd rili like him to rediscover d form dt made us sign him, bt d truth is dt he hasnt put in convincing performances dt will make him command a regular place in d starting lineup. D issue of him losing possession too much, is d most annoying

The truth also remains d@ Rooney is not a play maker.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 7:38am On Oct 02, 2013
chrisley024:

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 7:39am On Oct 02, 2013
chrisley024:

same way kagawa hasnt shown us he can replace rooney effectively for now
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 7:49am On Oct 02, 2013
dademola: spot on, bro! I'm a fan of kagawa, and i'd rili like him to rediscover d form dt made us sign him, bt d truth is dt he hasnt put in convincing performances dt will make him command a regular place in d starting lineup. D issue of him losing possession too much, is d most annoying
You guys are missing the issue still
Since Kagawa is "not strong enough to withstand bully & losses the ball as a result" why can't he play just behind the striker where even if he gets bullied of the ball, there are still @ least 8 players behind him to retrieve the ball as compared to the wings where the assult is directly against the full back behind?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 7:51am On Oct 02, 2013
i'm not sure about the emboldened.
Of the above mentioned, I think only Nasri has had more time deployed on the left.
Fact is that Rooney is stifling our creative play. It can be argued that Kagawa is far better technically than Rooney will ever be.
Kagawa's role in the pocket at Dortmund is yet to be replicated because he is being restricted to to the wings.

chrisley024: The fact is d@ it looked like we were going to score until Kagawa left.

i screamed when I saw that substitution.
dademola: .
same way kagawa hasnt shown us he can replace rooney effectively so far.
dademola: same way kagawa hasnt shown us he can replace rooney effectively for now
He hasn't been given a fair crack at the whip in terms of showing us what he can do in that position.
David Moyes is afraid of upsetting Rooney by asking both fellows to swap positions.
chrisley024:

Never was, never will be.
for all the hype, he hasn't even managed one golden boot title.
Over-rated piece of fat.
SailorXY:
Since Kagawa is "not strong enough to withstand bully & losses the ball as a result" why can't he play just behind the striker where even if he gets bullied of the ball, there are still @ least 8 players behind him to retrieve the ball as compared to the wings where the assult is directly against the full back behind?
SailorXY:
For me the issue is to give Kagawa a decent run in that position and let's see how that pans out.
I wonder how people reach judgements on issues that haven't been tried out, or do peps just look into their tvs and draw conclusions?
You know that physically he isn't the most imposing yet you play him in a role that requires his physique.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 7:52am On Oct 02, 2013
dademola: same way kagawa hasnt shown us he can replace rooney effectively for now
How is he supposed to 'show' that playing out on the wing & being chopped off @ half time?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 7:56am On Oct 02, 2013
Meanwhile,
In prayer and fasting mode.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Fussbot: 8:00am On Oct 02, 2013
we should just sell kagawa back to dortmund....

Play kagawa!play kagawa!naw kagawa has played and was clueless as usual...mtscheew....i jst no wan talk since

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 8:05am On Oct 02, 2013
Fussbot: we should just sell kagawa back to dortmund....

Play kagawa!play kagawa!naw kagawa has played and was clueless as usual...mtscheew
Yea
Give Giggs a renewd 5-year contract, re-assign Phil Neville as player coach to give the midfield the much needed stability & recall Paul Scholes too
This midfield will surely rule Europe once more
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 8:06am On Oct 02, 2013
Fussbot: we should just sell kagawa back to dortmund....

Play kagawa!play kagawa!naw kagawa has played and was clueless as usual...mtscheew....i jst no wan talk since
He's been shafted to the left yet you expect miracles from him.
I agree that we should deal him back to Dortmund if we don't know how best to deploy him.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Fussbot: 8:09am On Oct 02, 2013
SailorXY:
Yea
Give Giggs a renewd 5-year contract, re-assign Phil Neville as player coach to give the midfield the much needed stability & recall Paul Scholes too
This midfield will surely rule Europe once more
lol

4get da thing bro,kagawa isnt the solution either...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 8:11am On Oct 02, 2013

It took Mata n Silva some time to gel into EPL. Y cant we give it to Kagawa in his best position?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Fussbot: 8:14am On Oct 02, 2013
StarBoard:
He's been shafted to the left yet you expect miracles from him.
I agree that we should deal him back to Dortmund if we don't know how best to deploy him.
abegi!

Shldn't an ATTACKING midfielder able to play wide?av said it b4,let nasri,cazorla etc wait till dey get chance to play where dey are best at,if they wont rust in bench...

(1) (2) (3) ... (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) (467) ... (14218) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: DrinkWater10 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.