Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,616 members, 7,847,577 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 09:15 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (537) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8829338 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (534) (535) (536) (537) (538) (539) (540) ... (14206) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:27pm On Nov 02, 2013
Why did Moyes not use Fellaini against Norwich? These are the kind of matches he should play for now.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 10:30pm On Nov 02, 2013
SailorXY: ^^ but someone just said play Cleverley all the time & he'll get better, so why must Fellaini stay far away from the team?
this is exactly the problem

it's very simple....
moyes is just retardëd. it's now obvious fellaini is more suited to opponents that don't play football at 100mph.

fellaini should be the #1 on the team list in european games. let cleverley play in the EPL where his quick thinking & intelligent passes can help unlock the defence.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 10:37pm On Nov 02, 2013
coogar:

it's very simple....
moyes is just retardëd. it's now obvious fellaini is more suited to opponents that don't play football at 100mph.

fellaini should be the #1 on the team list in european games. let cleverley play in the EPL where his quick thinking & intelligent passes can help unlock the defence.

Good point.
At least in European games while he is turning and arranging his feet he wont be assailed on all sides with tackles and stripped of the ball.
Just so that the nearly 30m pounds would not be wasted he can be used in some champs league matches but i suspect the final answer no lifeline left is that he is not just good enough at this level
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 10:45pm On Nov 02, 2013
afrodoc: [/b]

Good point.
At least in European games while he is turning and arranging his feet he wont be assailed on all sides with tackles and stripped of the ball.
Just so that the nearly 30m pounds would not be wasted he can be used in some champs league matches but i suspect the final answer no lifeline left is that he is not just good enough at this level

i don't believe he's not good enough...
evra/vidic had worse starts and there have been many others. fletcher didn't get it right for about 5 seasons. i think fellaini would still click. he's operating in a new role. at everton, he was behind the main striker, winning first & second balls & flicking it on to jelavic or anichebe. he needs time to gel and the european games should be his launchpad instead of condemning him permanently to the bench.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 10:46pm On Nov 02, 2013
But this is the same Fellaini that excelled against our midfield & made our team look like amateurs on more than one occassion, did same against Chelsea, City, Liverpool & Arsenal; how did he suddenly become a terrible player to even start drawing comparism with Cleverley? If argument can be held about giving Cleverley game time for optimum performance, I see no reason why same won't hold for Anderson or Fellaini or Nani or Zaha...
Does Cleverley have any kind of capacity to be a menace to the aforementioned teams even 3 times out of 10 on a stand out performance level?
Carrick & Fellaini cannot work for now for obvious reasons, but if Carrick is absent then by all means, Fellaini should be next up in his place.
...and yes, Cleverley cannot be any more than a squad player in all big teams in Europe, same goes for Young & Welbeck
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:03pm On Nov 02, 2013
SailorXY: But this is the same Fellaini that excelled against our midfield & made our team look like amateurs on more than one occassion, did same against Chelsea, City, Liverpool & Arsenal; how did he suddenly become a terrible player to even start drawing comparism with Cleverley? If argument can be held about giving Cleverley game time for optimum performance, I see no reason why same won't hold for Anderson or Fellaini or Nani or Zaha...
Does Cleverley have any kind of capacity to be a menace to the aforementioned teams even 3 times out of 10 on a stand out performance level?
Carrick & Fellaini cannot work for now for obvious reasons, but if Carrick is absent then by all means, Fellaini should be next up in his place.
...and yes, Cleverley cannot be any more than a squad player in all big teams in Europe, same goes for Young & Welbeck

Your love for players who are bench warmers knows no limits.

Anderson or Fellaini or Nani or Zaha. Tell me how we can be playing these guys when we are struggling. No coach will be taking such risk. Cleverley is okay, he has proven himself over Fellaini and Andrson. As time goes on, things can change. Zaha has to be patient. Nani is too individualistic and offers no coverage to the right of our defence. Watch Valencia, he starts many of our attacking move from the front of our box or our own half. But Nani wants the ball shot to him in the opponents half. He isolates himself so much. Nani should learn more of attacking build up.

In summary, Moyes doesn't have the luxury for team rotation.

RVP needs to treat and rest his toe but Moyes can't afford to allow it now.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:08pm On Nov 02, 2013
Infact, some of the players we are clamoring for now had their opportunities but they blew it.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 11:09pm On Nov 02, 2013
SailorXY: But this is the same Fellaini that excelled against our midfield & made our team look like amateurs on more than one occassion, did same against Chelsea, City, Liverpool & Arsenal; how did he suddenly become a terrible player to even start drawing comparism with Cleverley? If argument can be held about giving Cleverley game time for optimum performance, I see no reason why same won't hold for [b]Anderson [/b]or Fellaini or [b]Nani [/b]or Zaha...

You have forgotten that FAT Anderson got to the 1st squad years before Cleverley and has surely been given more time than TomC.
Anderson has talent definitely however he sees any opportunity he gets in the 1st team as a chance to raid the Old Trafford pantry and the jersey makers are now complaining that they don't have his size anymore. PLUS he is always struggling with injuries.

Nani also has had more opportunity than Cleverley in the team. However his story has been one of inconsistency and false dawns.

Still i would keep Nani,TomC(definitely) and of course Zaha. Sell Fellaini off if he does not click by the end of the season and i would also sell Anderson ( the Old Trafford chef is complaining)
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 11:11pm On Nov 02, 2013
elampiro:

Anderson or Fellaini or Nani or Zaha. Tell me how we can be playing these guys when we are struggling. No coach will be taking such risk. Cleverley is okay, he has proven himself over Fellaini and Andrson. As time goes on, things can change. Zaha has to be patient. Nani is too individualistic and offers no coverage to the right of our defence. Watch Valencia, he starts many of our attacking move from the front of our box or our own half. But Nani wants the ball shot to him in the opponents half. He isolates himself so much. Nani should learn more of attacking build up.

correctamundo!
Elamps baba u talk so much correct things when you are not defending Rooney cheesy
It is now i am believing that you played with Karimu Shaibu grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 11:28pm On Nov 02, 2013
elampiro:

Your emphasis is on form & I'm talking talent, and I don't see how a talented guy can get into the flow azz on the bench picking his nose. It doesn't matter what kind of form Cleverley shows, he is just not quality enough & will not be a world beater. All the talk of improvement with game time amount to nothing.
He may be in greater form, yet its just pass mark. Moyes can still end up buying Gundogan or Fabregas & put them on the bench for having 2-3 bad games when settling down. For me, it will be better if better talents are allowed to have stinkers 4,5,6 games & come up to speed, than mediocre players passing off averagely their entire lifetime
Just as Rooney got dropped for playing piss all season last term, it doesn't make Welbeck a better player
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 11:52pm On Nov 02, 2013
If you are talking about Nani when you mention talent yes but i am not sure how much talent Fellaini has and more importantly whether his type of talent is what we need.
Anderson has not had 4,5,6 stinker games he has been sub par for longer than that and i dont just see how he can make it at United again with his weight and fitness issues.
Cleverley is good enough to be A PLAYER of Manchester United, what is worrying when he is increasingly becoming THE PLAYER (at least in midfield).
We can have TomC in the squad but i believe we need a better and more accomplished midfielder to start our matches in that position
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 4:18am On Nov 03, 2013
montelik: Was I not insisting during the summer that we sign at minimum 2 central midfielders. If I thought Tom C had no need for improvement, I would have been with Coogar saying we only needed one addition. Tom C has plenty of room for improvement and I have never said otherwise. What I can't tolerate is does who insist on ignoring and downgrading the good things he brings to this team. The same people who were insisting we spend 27.5m on Fellaini or anybody and were immediately putting him/them in the starting line-up, because they were so sure that any warm body is better than Tom C. Yet they have now seen that Fellaini who looked so great at Everton, now looks ten times worse than the Tom C who they claim is more suited to playing for relegation threatened teams.

Stop scapegoating him for the failures in central midfield. Stop over exaggerating his weaknesses and ignoring his strengths.

Spot on bro.

They r expecting him to be 'an iniesta' n d disappointment of nt seeing him play that way is making them nt to see all d things he does.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 4:48am On Nov 03, 2013
chamotex:

Not every body understand the dynamics of football...if you don't dribble 5 people and score goals, you are not a footballer.
I'm sure the anti Cleverley guys enjoyed the second half performance today.
Apart from scoring goals, there's nothing more important than keeping possession in football.
I'm done with that argument, I can't keep explaining my self

Anyways, if we lose against Arsenal next week, it's pretty much over ...we might mount a comeback but not with this team and manager.

Ur 1st point is d sad truth.
N were u rili rili xpecting us 2 win d league dis season? undecided

dademola: d problem is dt; dos things are simply not good enof for d midfield of a club as prestigous as man utd!! ts just like one praising welbeck for his excellent workrate and hustle!! ofcourse, in clubs like stoke and hull, such qualities wld be appreciated and maybe even celebrated, buh for crying out loud, THIS IS MANCHESTER UNITED!! however, considering d present state of our midfield, cleverly appears to be one of d best we have!! THIS.....IS D MOST DISTURBING PART
I would lyk u to name players that are good enough that u think united should have bought.

SailorXY:
Your emphasis is on form & I'm talking talent, and I don't see how a talented guy can get into the flow azz on the bench picking his nose. It doesn't matter what kind of form Cleverley shows, he is just not quality enough & will not be a world beater. All the talk of improvement with game time amount to nothing.
He may be in greater form, yet its just pass mark. Moyes can still end up buying Gundogan or Fabregas & put them on the bench for having 2-3 bad games when settling down. For me, it will be better if better talents are allowed to have stinkers 4,5,6 games & come up to speed, than mediocre players passing off averagely their entire lifetime
Just as Rooney got dropped for playing piss all season last term, it doesn't make Welbeck a better player
have u ever watched gundogan for 5 consecutive games?
That's how u clamor for players without rili knowing them.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 5:26am On Nov 03, 2013
Oghos1: Seriously.

Any1 who couldn't see d importance of t.clev 2day shouldn't be watching football. Chai.

Derz no way any1 can xplain for u 2 understand. Dahzall.
Ding
Its easy to see he needs a run of games to build his confidence. This was the same TC who was running out middle till he got injured by Kevin Davies at the start of 11/12.
Maybe if he beats 11 players before scoring, we can label him world class.
Everybody has an opinion so we should tolerate them. A broken click is right twice a day.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 5:36am On Nov 03, 2013
coogar:

i don't believe he's not good enough...
evra/vidic had worse starts and there have been many others. fletcher didn't get it right for about 5 seasons. i think fellaini would still click. he's operating in a new role. at everton, he was behind the main striker, winning first & second balls & flicking it on to jelavic or anichebe. he needs time to gel and the european games should be his launchpad instead of condemning him permanently to the bench.
Except that Fletcher,Evra and Vidic combined didn't cost up to half Fellaini's fee.
Except that the side Evra and Vidic joined was a transitional side as compared to the league champions Fellaini joined.
Two reasons why he has no excuse/alibi/defence not to hit the ground running and make an instant impact.
Dude is mediocre. Simple as that.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Screwface(m): 6:46am On Nov 03, 2013
Those clamouring for more minutes time for Felliani need not wait longer. Carrick is out injured, Cleverly also. Felliani will most definately start on Tuesday evening. He might partner Giggs in the middle of the pack there. Ando might get lucky, but it's something I have doubts upon.
Nani is almost assured of starting too. Other than De Gea and Vidic, I feel the whole squad be rotated for that tie. Lets keep giving these guys oppurtunities to prove their worth.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 7:58am On Nov 03, 2013
Oghos1:
Ur 1st point is d sad truth.
N were u rili rili xpecting us 2 win d league dis season? undecided

I would lyk u to name players that are good enough that u think united should have bought.

have u ever watched gundogan for 5 consecutive games?

bros, a player with d "characteristics"(cant even use d word "qualities"wink )of cleverley, shudnt b a regular fixture in d starting 11 of any big club in d world!! Wld he be starting, if he were to be in chelsea or mancity? Wont he even struggle to make d bench at clubs like bayern, madrid and barca? D dude needs to up his game, period!! Like i sed earlier, d worrying aspect is dt, he appears to be our 2nd best midfielda!! Why?? Ts obviously because anderson is fat, fellaini appears useless in CMF, jones isnt exactly a midfielda, fletcher is ill, and giggs is.....!! Bar thiago n fellaini, i'd hav preferred any of d midfieldas we wer being linked with during d summer transfer window..
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 8:01am On Nov 03, 2013
Screwface: Those clamouring for more minutes time for Felliani need not wait longer. Carrick is out injured, Cleverly also. Felliani will most definately start on Tuesday evening. He might partner Giggs in the middle of the pack there. Ando might get lucky, but it's something I have doubts upon.
Nani is almost assured of starting too. Other than De Gea and Vidic, I feel the whole squad be rotated for that tie. Lets keep giving these guys oppurtunities to prove their worth.

O boy! If Giggs n Fellaini play our mid eeh?!
Haha!. Na to use livescores.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 8:11am On Nov 03, 2013
dademola: bros, a player with d "characteristics"(cant even use d word "qualities"wink )of cleverley, shudnt b a regular fixture in d starting 11 of any big club in d world!! Wld he be starting, if he were to be in chelsea or mancity? Wont he even struggle to make d bench at clubs like bayern, madrid and barca? D dude needs to up his game, period!! Like i sed earlier, d worrying aspect is dt, he appears to be our 2nd best midfielda!! Why?? Ts obviously because anderson is fat, fellaini appears useless in CMF, jones isnt exactly a midfielda, fletcher is ill, and giggs is.....!! Bar thiago n fellaini, i'd hav preferred any of d midfieldas we wer being linked with during d summer transfer window..

The best thing for Clev is to work on himself n become a DMF n replace Carrick. He can't be an AM or CMF
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 8:12am On Nov 03, 2013
Ogos1: have u ever watched gundogan for 5 consecutive games?
Surely if Kagawa is not good enough, why will Gundogan be any better?
We still have british talents like Cleverley, Giggs & Welbeck
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 8:23am On Nov 03, 2013
With plots of land in front of a supposed mobile CM to drive into, he opts to look left & right,then left again, as if a learner trying to switch lanes on the highway, before making a short pass to Carrick. At this point, the plots before him shrinks to one yard & people are having o.rg.as.ms about his 'ability to do the simple things' while a quick attack is messed up.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 8:25am On Nov 03, 2013
elampiro:
David Moyes Rooney saw us safely through the second half. He INSTRUCTED Rooney to dropped deep and try to be a was the only sensible player [s]we had in ur midfield and foward in the 2nd half[/s].
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 8:27am On Nov 03, 2013
SailorXY: But this is the same Fellaini that excelled against our midfield & made our team look like amateurs on more than one occassion, did same against Chelsea, City, Liverpool & Arsenal; how did he suddenly become a terrible player to even start drawing comparism with Cleverley? If argument can be held about giving Cleverley game time for optimum performance, I see no reason why same won't hold for Anderson or Fellaini or Nani or Zaha...

These wrongheaded type of arguments were persistently being made over the summer and is why we paid over the odds for a player who still needs a ton of work and development at the age of 26 in order to play central midfield for a club like United.

Yakubu had a solid goal scoring record against United, does that make him a big team player. Brad Friedel would often times give super human performances against United. I guess that makes him a top club goalie. e.t.c. I guess we should have bought both these guys.

Where did Fellaini play in these supposed dominant displays and what were the qualities he showed in them. e.g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43QjOV2G7-c

That is his dominant performance against us in Everton colors. No doubt MOM performance, but now what in that clip signifies a solid central midfielder, much less one who can compliment Carrick and help solve our midfield concerns.

Even in games he played central midfield for Everton, he was often times an extra midfielder with great liberties and freedom and was pretty ordinary, until he roamed higher up the pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzgMwbP18CQ

What in that clip is better than Anderson or Jones, much less Cleverley? This is his best performance from central midfield for Everton according to most Evertonians. Was he not passing sideways and backwards even more than Cleverley. How many fouls did he commit? 84% pass completion? Only noteworthy thing was his aerial solidity. Yet this was his best performance as a central midfielder? Tom C gets slaughtered on United forums for giving slightly better performances. Is it any wonder Moyes himself waited for all the other deals to fall through before desperately overpaying to avoid ending up empty handed.

Fellaini is not yet a United quality central midfielder and regardless of how rubbish you believe Tom C is, he is much better than Fellaini for now and the foreseeable future until Fellaini seriously improves. Considering Fellaini is 2 years older and much more experienced, I know which one I have more expectations of improvement from.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 8:34am On Nov 03, 2013
coogar:

i couldn't have said this better....
tom cleverley's quiet & effective brand of football gets overlooked because he's selfless & doesn't need 3 legovers to make a simple pass.

that table is now congested - 2 more wins for us & we would be in the top 3. a win for either spurs/everton would take them 2nd. i am not bothered about the position - i am bothered by the point gap.....we have to beat arsenal next week.

Thats the main thing, the point gap!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Purist(m): 8:41am On Nov 03, 2013
Mr_TA: Well we wont beat Arsenal next week so you might as well forget about that.
Moyes is not someone who can win big matches away from home.
He's bound to get it tactically wrong V Arsenal and not use Fergie's template which he laid down to beat Arsenal.
Essential Moyes hasnt got a clue how to setup the team to play on the counter and that's the only way we'll beat Arsenal if everyone is on their game.

Small matter of the CL game against Sociedad away before that although Arsenal also have to face Dortmund in Germany so that should help us a little atleast.

The match is at Old Trafford.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 8:43am On Nov 03, 2013
^^this is not about players who give super-human performances against Man United, which is the long & short of all that epistle. All player transfer is even a risk, having uncertain outcome.
Torres was easily the deadliest striker in the EPL before moving to Chelsea, who knew it won't go as planned? Still, you can never know until it is tried out!
Probably you missed the part where I said Fellaini cannot be a starter alongside Carrick despite having varied approaches to the game, they are both not very athletic.
Take Jones for example, despite his limitations, there is this urgency to release the forward players ahead while moving forward for a return OR move with the ball himself where there's available space to get a player or two drawn to him thereby freeing up a teammate in attack.
This is not an attempt to rubbish any playing staff, but there are 'dynamics' expected of a dynamic midfield. Cleverley should learn his dynamics & not copy Carrick's style
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 10:32am On Nov 03, 2013
All in all, with the right and; tested and trusted tactic, we will beat Arsenal next weekend...

About our midfield, I just need some of these fellas to be a bit more aggressive when we are not in possession of the ball. The marking is just annoying sometimes. We have been "managing" these guys for years now --- emphasis should be on their strengths and what they can offer.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:15pm On Nov 03, 2013
[quote author=RuuDie][/quote]

So why did Moyes not instruct Janujaz or any other player to drop deep? Are you also saying it was Moyes who told the rest forward to be less sensible in the second half?

Lastly, it seems you are beginning to admit that Moyes is a very good tactician.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 12:43pm On Nov 03, 2013
elampiro:
Lastly, it seems you are beginning to admit that Moyes is a very good tactician.

Dude. Are you mistaking me for STARBOARD!!? grin grin grin

I've been backing Moyes since he was named UTD manager. Perhaps you should take a while and read some of my previous posts!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 12:56pm On Nov 03, 2013
@montelik,
Thank you for your last post.
You seem to have a clear head on issues here.
Fellaini is nowhere near a United midfielder. End of. We paid an exorbitant fee for someone who brings absolutely nothing to our midfield yet peeps have the temerity to say he's a better option than Cleverley.
Yet as soon as he replaced the said ineffective Cleverley yesterday, we couldn't keep possession like we did while romping away to a 3-nil lead.
Sigh
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 1:05pm On Nov 03, 2013
StarBoard:
Except that Fletcher,Evra and Vidic combined didn't cost up to half Fellaini's fee.
Except that the side Evra and Vidic joined was a transitional side as compared to the league champions Fellaini joined.
Two reasons why he has no excuse/alibi/defence not to hit the ground running and make an instant impact.
Dude is mediocre. Simple as that.

he's not mediocre - he needs time to adapt to the tempo at which we play football. it's apparent fellaini isn't used to our high tempo & the passing accuracy required from our midfield-2. it's something he can still learn here. marouane will come good - yes, he's expensive but that was moyes' fault, we would have saved about £9m if we had activated his buy-out clause.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by adebayo201: 1:14pm On Nov 03, 2013
RuuDie:

Dude. Are you mistaking me for STARBOARD!!? grin grin grin

I've been backing Moyes since he was named UTD manager. Perhaps you should take a while and read some of my previous posts!
~falling frm a stool~

(1) (2) (3) ... (534) (535) (536) (537) (538) (539) (540) ... (14206) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: TrebleChamp(m), MRTA7 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.