Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,985 members, 7,866,704 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 11:56 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (711) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8882646 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (708) (709) (710) (711) (712) (713) (714) ... (14219) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 9:20pm On Jan 02, 2014
elampiro:

1 last response on this. lol

@Coogar, it depends on the way you want to see it. Some people felt he played in central midfield.

Hargreaves – the energetic, skillfull ball winner

There can’t be many players who United have paid 17 million pound for, who have played so few games but who made such a big impact. Owen Hargreaves signed on the 1st July 2007 and ended up playing a prominent part in United winning the Premier League and Champions League in the 2007-08 season. He made 16 starts in the league that season with seven as a substitute and only 23 in total with 11 as substitute. However, it was the quality and not the quantity of his appearances that were important. He was a player who had a history of injuries when we secured him from Bayern Munich but Sir Alex Ferguson clearly identified him as a player, who would take a title-winning side onto the next level in Europe. I believe Sir Alex was spot on in his assessment and was perfectly right to pursue and finally land the player, irrespective of the risks involved.

Hargreaves suffered a broken leg in 2006 and only came back for Bayern at the back-end of the 2007 season. As a player who suffered from patellar tendonitis, I think the enforced rest from playing during his rehabilitation with the broken leg, helped the tendonitis ease and enable him to pass his United medical. This is just my presumption because as soon as he started his United career, the problems clearly arose again. Fergie and the medical staff had to handle his game time with kid gloves. Many questioned the United Medical team in the following seasons but I think the problem was so great, they did a brilliant job in getting him on the pitch, as much as they did in the 2007-08 season. Thank God they did because he was instrumental in United winning the double that season.

He missed the first three games of the season and made his debut in the derby at the Eastland’s Stadium, United going down to a 1-0 defeat. He did play the week after in our first win of the season, at home to Tottenham and again the week after in a win against Sunderland at home. That game was on the 1st September and he didn’t feature again until the end of October. United had put their early season stutter behind them by then and apart from that defeat at City and getting knocked out of Carling Cup by Coventry, they had remained unbeaten. Sir Alex seemed to be picking Hargreaves games and he was entrusted with the big one’s against our main rivals. Once again he didn’t feature for a full month after the 2-2 away draw with Arsenal. A home win over Fulham, then another fortnight off until the away win at Anfield in mid December.

After that, he never spent any significant time out of the squad but never started three in a row. Instead, he seemed to play one, next week on the bench, with the occasional rest thrown in. I think, by now his worth to the team was invaluable. He was also adaptable, playing mostly central midfield but could move out to the right and was giving Ronaldo licence to move inside a lot more. It was that licence and protection from Hargreaves that enabled him to score 42 goals that season. He also played a couple of games at right back for the Reds, adapting as if he was a natural. Hargreaves first goal for United came in the away win at Fulham on the 1st March, a beautiful and highly technical free kick from just outside the area, that was in all the way from the moment it left his right foot.

He was then entrusted with two starts in four days, firstly in the Champions League quarter-final against Roma where he was man of the match and set up Tevez for the crucial only goal of the game. Then the all important home clash with Arsenal, which resulted in another crucial 2-1 win in the title race. Hargreaves scored his second goal for United in this game, with a similar class free kick as his previous one. Those two home wins gave United the impetus and belief they could win the title and the Champions League. United were well and truly in the zone now, Hargreaves didn’t feature in the away draw at Blackburn and was saved to play full back in the midweek goal less draw at the Nou Camp, in the semi final first leg. Back on the bench for the controversial defeat away at Chelsea on the following Saturday and then back on full back duty for the home semi final leg against Barca.

In both the Barca games, Sir Alex opted to play Hargreaves full back and bring Park into the midfield. His industry up and down the right enabled United to interchange the strikers and Ronaldo didn’t play as a conventional wide man. We all remember that game was won and our Moscow final date booked with a screamer from the Ginger Prince Paul Scholes. Once again he was risked in the starting line up in the crucial home win 4 days later against West Ham. This left United needing a win at Wigan the following week to clinch the league title, with the Champions league final another 10 days after that. I think Sir Alex had picked his Cup Final team before the Wigan game and Hargreaves was crucial to the way his team would set up against Chelsea in Moscow. I think that’s why he was left on the bench for the Wigan game, which United duly won and clinched another title.

Hargreaves inclusion in the final team, allowed Sir Alex to play the extra man in central midfield to combat Chelsea who always played three in there. I may be biased but a midfield three of Carrick, Scholes and Hargreaves was one of the most balanced and with a telepathic understanding of each others jobs and positioning I have ever seen playing for United. Such was the trust that the rest of the team had in them, it allowed the back four to stay solid as a unit and the front three, the licence and liability to roam anywhere and pick up space in between the Chelsea lines.

Hargreaves was instrumental in this midfield, his energy, ball winning skills, ability to sniff out danger and class to use and keep the ball, went a long way to securing our victory. The front three of Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez were equally effective. None of them had defined positions that night, each taking it turns to drop in wide left or right and get up and support the furthest forward at the time. We all know it went to penalties but United should have put the game to bed in the first half but we know the nature of our club is not to do anything easy. Hargreaves played the full 120 minutes that night and despatched his penalty with consummate ease, what else would you expect from a man who used to ply his trade in Germany. So United bagged a historic Premier League and Champions League double and Hargreaves was certainly a one season wonder.

Such a shame that his injuries prevented him from really featuring for us again, apart from the odd comeback attempt. With David Moyes striving to secure the services of class midfielders, I have always maintained we have never replaced Hargreaves. When you have a natural box to box player like that who can play any role in that midfield, its such an asset to the squad. Lets hope we can sign a player of similar qualities to Hargreaves and curly hair doesn’t have to be a pre-requisite of that player.

Coogar, wouldn't you love someone like him in our team?

It is just a pity we lost him to injury. sad

How much Hagreaves meant to us in 2007/8. Playing through pains he over delivered. The bolded captured the highlight.

Now this is one of the report which were confused about the role Hagreaves played in the final. His role was not as straight forward as you will want me to believe.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by JayKayMaybachz(m): 9:31pm On Jan 02, 2014
This place is gerring boring by the minute cux of excessive arguement
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 9:38pm On Jan 02, 2014
coogar:

what's the job of any winger if he cannot keep his fullback busy? did ronaldo not engage essien on the other side of the pitch? did ronaldo not engage ashley cole in 2004 & made sure ashley cole never hurt portugal in the most entertaining duel of that tournament?

this is how uefa saw the match.....and hargreaves wasn't anywhere near the centre of the pitch. he basically did what valencia does when he still had good head on his shoulders & stopping wingbacks from doing damage to united.

Can we have where Eufa post match report? Is this a tactical chart or just a straight formation chart. You know those funny charts which will suggest Kagawa and Welbeck were both strikers in a 4-4-2 formation. But a tactical chart will seperate their functions. Please can you help me with link to this chart?

The bolded: that's an exaggeration right?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jan 02, 2014
elampiro:

I will give Scholes and Carrick the full credit if it is proven they played in the midfield alone as a pair. I guess at Old Trafford Park was a third midfielder (unverified).

In Moscow, if Hagreaves succeeded in keeping Cole busy, it was a big relief to Scholes and Carrick because at the time Coles was a threat going foward exchanging passes with his attacking midfielders. But the game I saw recently, Hagreaves did far more than defending and attacking Cole. He was drifting to the cetral of the field while defending.
elampiro and his theories!! Okay, if chelsea were attacking us, and cole was overlapping, who was picking him up?? Dont even bring tevez or rooney into the matter oo...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 9:49pm On Jan 02, 2014
dademola: elampiro and his theories!! Okay, if chelsea were attacking us, and cole was overlapping, who was picking him up?? Dont even bring tevez or rooney into the matter oo...

you must be very intelligent - this just sums up elampiro! i cannot see how a player tasked to curb ashley cole's marauding runs would be drifting to the middle & leaving wes brown exposed!!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 9:53pm On Jan 02, 2014
dademola: elampiro and his theories!! Okay, if chelsea were attacking us, and cole was overlapping, who was picking him up?? Dont even bring tevez or rooney into the matter oo...

So Tevez and Rooney will stay like stick abi? Hope you know Rooney created a clear cut chance from the right flank which Tevez squandered. I thonk it was from a counter, and we should have been 2-0 up before Chelsea could get back.

Coogar has a good point but the problem is that he is taking away Hagreaves part of the job. If not for defensive duties, why did SAF not play Nani who was in form? Could Nani not have troubled Cole better?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 10:00pm On Jan 02, 2014
elampiro:

So Tevez and Rooney will stay like stick abi? Hope you know Rooney created a clear cut chance from the right flank which Tevez squandered. I thonk it was from a counter, and we should have been 2-0 up before Chelsea could get back.

Coogar has a good point but the problem is that he is taking away Hagreaves part of the job. If not for defensive duties, why did SAF not play Nani who was in form? Could Nani not have troubled Cole better?

because as at then, nani was still tactically naive. fergie rarely played 2 out & out wingers(ronaldo/nani) in big games that season.

it would leave the midfield horribly exposed so hargreaves was the logical choice as he's not a makeshift either as a fullback or a midfielder on the right side.

point still remains hargo didn't play as a DM in the 3 games leading to the champions league victory in 07/08. carrick/scholes were the defensive shield protecting our centre-halves, not hargo!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jan 02, 2014
elampiro:

u still havnt answered the question!! Nobody is undermining hargo's defensive abilities here- fergie decided to deploy a defensive minded player on the wing which ofcourse speaks volumes buh d issue of hargo helping out in central mF in moscow, is complete hogwash bro!!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 10:07pm On Jan 02, 2014
dademola: u still havnt answered the question!! Nobody is undermining hargo's defensive abilities here- fergie decided to deploy a defensive minded player on the wing which ofcourse speaks volumes buh d issue of hargo helping out in central mF in moscow, is complete hogwash bro!!

elampiro is being devious....
hargo played as a midfielder - one of our starting players on the night. did he help the midfield? of course he did, so did tevez, rooney & ronaldo.

did hargreaves play as the hatchet man? no, he didn't but his job on the night was important in nullifying one arm of chelsea attacks. stopping a wing back isn't a defensive midfielder's primary role.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:14pm On Jan 02, 2014
^^^

In a 4-3-3 formation for instance, who does the 3rd midfielder protects?

It is not straight on that every time Hagreaves went back he protected Scholes and Carrick.

I maintain, Hagreaves didn't marry the line when when defended.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jan 02, 2014
coogar:

hargo played as a midfielder - one of our starting players on the night. did he help the midfield? of course he did, so did tevez, rooney & ronaldo.

did hargreaves play as the hatchet man? no, he didn't but his job on the night was important in nullifying one arm of chelsea attacks. stopping a wing back isn't a defensive midfielder's primary role.
I'm sure elampiro cant suggest such, that was why i asked him the question..
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:21pm On Jan 02, 2014
coogar:

I doubt if I have ever said he played the hatchet role. From what I saw recently, he was drifting in front of Carrcik and Scholes as Man United defended. Then he quickly ran to the right as we start attack. The reason I am not able to describe it fully despite haven seen it recently was that the match was reduced to like 45-60 mins instead of 120 mins. They showed UCL finals year by year (SS5).

But considering Nani had good games prior to the final, why did you think SAF dropped Nani for Hagreaves? Nani should have engaged Cole more.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:24pm On Jan 02, 2014
dademola: I'm sure elampiro cant suggest such, that was why i asked him the question..

You guys are mixing up the basic for this argument. I never said Hagreaves played defensive midfield.

Let's leave the argument. May be one of you guys will see the match again and come here to analyse it.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:33pm On Jan 02, 2014
I think at this time I can say I am done with the argument.

Hargreaves did not play so high up on the right as Ronaldo did on the left. I also saw Rooney going to the flank when Hagreaves was retreating.

When I see the match again, I will be able to say much more.

It was not a straight three man midfield, so you guys can be right there. But Hagreaves played a unique role. That's what SAF does with tactics.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 02, 2014
elampiro: I think at this time I can say I am done with the argument.

Hargreaves did not play so high up on the right as Ronaldo did on the left. I also saw Rooney going to the flank when Hagreaves was retreating.

When I see the match again, I will be able to say much more.

It was not a straight three man midfield, so you guys can be right there. But Hagreaves played a unique role. That's what SAF does with tactics.
jargons of the highest order!! I saw it coming!! U still havnt answered my question; who was detailed to pickup ash cole's overlapping runs in moscow that night??
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Fussbot: 10:50pm On Jan 02, 2014
JayKayMaybachz: This place is gerring boring by the minute cux of excessive arguement
i swear my brother..mtscheew
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 11:09pm On Jan 02, 2014
The final against Chelsea in Moscow is still recent, & from what I remember Owen Hargreaves played as a right midfielder when United had possession & as a defensive midfielder when United were without the ball
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:11pm On Jan 02, 2014
dademola: jargons of the highest order!! I saw it coming!! U still havnt answered my question; who was detailed to pickup ash cole's overlapping runs in moscow that night??

I guess you know Hagreaves didn't play high.

Perhaps you will need to see the the game again to appreciate what I am saying. But are you saying Rooney wasn't moving right. You might be surprised he pulled more crosses than Hagreaves (unverified).
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 11:13pm On Jan 02, 2014
Mr_TA:

Shaw is excellent. Kinda like Rafael on the left side. high energy and gets up and down the left flank as well. Very young as well but has also had a few injury issues. To be honest outside of man utd, Rafa isnt highly rated by most but I think hes excellent and I think Shaw is the same.
How did you arrive at that? I thought Rafael just missed out by fractions to Zabaleta on the EPL team of the season last term
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 11:16pm On Jan 02, 2014
JayKayMaybachz: This place is gerring boring by the minute cux of excessive arguement

Not as boring as watching our play in the final third under Moyes. sad
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jan 02, 2014
elampiro:

I guess you know Hagreaves didn't play high.

Perhaps you will need to see the the game again to appreciate what I am saying. But are you saying Rooney wasn't moving right. You might be surprised he pulled more crosses than Hagreaves (unverified).
why are u finding it so difficult to answer the simple question i asked??
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:24pm On Jan 02, 2014
dademola: why are u finding it so difficult to answer the simple question i asked??

In a 4-3-3 who helps the right back?

Let's leave the argument. We will revisit it when we have more facts. No need for pages.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:25pm On Jan 02, 2014
Oleg is now Cardiff coach.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jan 02, 2014
elampiro:

In a 4-3-3 who helps the right back?

Let's leave the argument. We will revisit it when we have more facts. No need for pages.
still waiting for ur response....
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 11:32pm On Jan 02, 2014
elampiro: Oleg is now Cardiff coach.
Let's hope he finishes in respectable position & maybe replace Moyes cheesy
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by meracool(m): 11:51pm On Jan 02, 2014
I think This Hargo Debate has being Done and Dusted Some Couple of Months Ago......

Why are You all Going at it all over..??

* Well For Now.. what is the way Forward for Manutd to get back to the Top 4.....??

** A Fessible And good player Transfer that will benefit the Club

*** CUP games (Fa Cup, Carling Cup) and Squad depth.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by JayKayMaybachz(m): 7:09am On Jan 03, 2014
montelik:

Not as boring as watching our play in the final third under Moyes. sad
Brus dat man has made Utd look like a mid table club ... which we weren't ... we were force to reckon with in Europe ... now weve totally lost it due to an incompetent mofo ... damn !!!!! sometimes ah dey shame .... my guys dey yab me like die .... abegy make we free elampiro and coogar make dem kee dia sef with arguement nii ... ah careless from hence though .... ah dunno if they're paid for dis ............ mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeew !!!! anyways any news who moyes goon buy ??
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 7:10am On Jan 03, 2014
JayKayMaybachz: !!!! anyways any news who moyes goon buy ??

ROMANUS ORJINTA grin grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by JayKayMaybachz(m): 7:16am On Jan 03, 2014
meracool: I think This Hargo Debate has being Done and Dusted Some Couple of Months Ago......

Why are You all Going at it all over..??

* Well For Now.. what is the way Forward for Manutd to get back to the Top 4.....??

** A Fessible And good player Transfer that will benefit the Club

*** CUP games (Fa Cup, Carling Cup) and Squad depth.
Am short of words .... dunno what Moyes is upto ... he may ignore signing any reasonable player and booom we are outta top 4 realla ... and that will be a biggy blow.............shiiit ... how are gooon deal with that we aint looserfools though...........we are MANCHESTER UNITED FC, a club which winning and victory has been indulged into our dna .... i miss Saf
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 8:30am On Jan 03, 2014
JayKayMaybachz: Am short of words .... dunno what Moyes is upto ... he may ignore signing any reasonable player and booom we are outta top 4 realla ... and that will be a biggy blow.............shiiit ... how are gooon deal with that we aint looserfools though...........we are MANCHESTER UNITED FC, a club which winning and victory has been indulged into our dna .... i miss Saf
If we finish out of the top 4 then Moyes gets the sack, there's no one & half way about it
Unless he finishes out of top 4 but wins the Champions League, then he may get another year
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 9:11am On Jan 03, 2014
I guess Moyes is just starting to scout and identify his targets now. Anyone tell him this could be done before 1st of January? undecided
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:17am On Jan 03, 2014
Mr_TA: I guess Moyes is just starting to scout and identify his targets now. Anyone tell him this could be done before 1st of January? undecided
and you seriously think Moyes ll spend in january, wake up TA

(1) (2) (3) ... (708) (709) (710) (711) (712) (713) (714) ... (14219) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.