Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,809 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:41 PM

No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej (8527 Views)

Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year / OPC Joins Calls For Sovereign National Conference / Tinubu Calls For Sovereign National Conference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by mukina2: 11:46am On Feb 16, 2012
President Goodluck Jonathan, on Wednesday, foreclosed the idea of convening a Sovereign National Conference, stating that the Presidential Committee on Outstanding Constitutional Issues, headed by Justice Alfa Belgore, was set up to handle defects in the current 1999 Constitution.

Jonathan, while speaking to elders from the South-South and South-West geo-political zones, at the State House, said the Committee was set up to bring up areas of national consensus from the 2006 National Political Reform Conference for the National Assembly’s consideration towards effecting constitutional amendments.

“In recognition of the demands by Nigerians for a constitutional amendment, we set up the Justice Belgore Committee to bring up all those issues which have been agreed upon at previous national conferences, for presentation as bills to the National Assembly, and subsequent passage into law, while a larger body will meet on issues that are still controversial for a national consensus,” he said.

Jonathan told the elders that the government would strengthen the EFCC, ICPC, and the Nigeria Police, and ensure that people are not unduly exposed to corruptive influences, as part of efforts to curb corruption.

The President pointed out that, for example, the House of Representatives probe into the oil subsidy regime had exposed the fact that continued subsidy in the petroleum sector was a catalyst to corruption.

He also told the delegation that his Administration was going to reduce the number of parastatals, especially those that were performing similar functions, while the staff would be retrained for other duties, adding that the budget submitted to the National Assembly last year had been cut down.

Leaders of the South West and South South geo-political zones had approached the President with a demand for a national dialogue, stating that the current spate of unrests in the country was a symptom of a “unitary Constitution foisted on Nigerian”.

Earlier, Chief Edwin Clark and Bishop Bolanle Gbonigi, leaders of the delegation of South-South and South-West elders respectively, had presented a communiqué from a meeting held by the two groups on January 21, 2012 at Ikenne, Ogun State.

The communiqué condemned the activities of Boko Haram, requested for the withdrawal of troops from the streets to reduce tension, urged stronger prosecution of the war against corruption, requested for a reduction in size and cost of governance, and called for a national conference to produce a truly national constitution.

On his part, Clark who debunked claims of the existence of MEND, explained that it was a group of John Togo’s men who were sidelined that were creating an impression of militancy in the region.

Speaking separately to journalists at the State House after their meeting with Jonathan, the leaders of both groups were united over the need for “true Federalism” which recognises the differences of the component constituents.

Gbonigi, on behalf of the South West group, noted that the present administration’s transformation agenda would only succeed if the polity is stable, with happy and contented citizens.

“In the absence of these, no agenda can succeed, no matter how laudable. And to achieve peace and stability, there must be justice and equity,” he said, adding that “the 1999 Constitution is neither just nor equitable to the overwhelming majority of Nigerians; neither does it promote development and good governance.”

Those present at the meeting included Clark, Dr. Dosumu Awolowo,  Felix  Ibru, Oladipo Diya, Olu Falae, Tunde Akogu, Alabo Graham-Douglas, Mike Okiro, Femi  Okunronmu, Gbonigi, Ebenezer Babatope, and Gen. Tony Etukudo amongst others.

http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/%E2%80%98no-need-sovereign-national-conference%E2%80%99-%E2%80%93-jonathan
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by moderattor: 11:53am On Feb 16, 2012
ride on mr. President!
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by BlackBaron: 11:58am On Feb 16, 2012
We all already know he is a 'Puppet President' controlled by puppet masters with strings. . .

His kinsmen meanwhile continue their clamour for true federalism

SMH
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by odedele: 12:12pm On Feb 16, 2012
wat do u xpect frm a puppet
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by ceejayluv(m): 12:18pm On Feb 16, 2012
retardeen!!!
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by highland(m): 12:18pm On Feb 16, 2012
Jonathan will support the call for SNC after is tenure expiration. Thank u
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by NET1(m): 12:22pm On Feb 16, 2012
I cannot believe this man.

.NET
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by executinal(m): 12:27pm On Feb 16, 2012
highland:

Jonathan will support the call for SNC after is tenure expiration. Thank u
You are on point

1 Like

Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Ninapha(f): 12:28pm On Feb 16, 2012
How logical is it for him to support it as the president.  U all his haters have been waiting for him to support it so that u can accuse him of disintegrating Nigeria.  ozu nwa bekee, ebulie unu elu, no, no no no, ebutue unu ala- no, no, no, no. grin
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Nobody: 12:36pm On Feb 16, 2012
Ninapha:

How logical is it for him to support it as the president.  U all his haters have been waiting for him to support it so that u can accuse him of disintegrating Nigeria.  ozu nwa bekee, ebulie unu elu, no, no no no, ebutue unu ala- no, no, no, no. grin
No mind em . . . Idiotas cheesy
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by denitro(m): 12:36pm On Feb 16, 2012
mukina2:

The President pointed out that, for example, the House of Representatives probe into the oil subsidy regime had exposed the fact that continued subsidy in the petroleum sector was a catalyst to corruption.

Is that true?
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Nobody: 12:43pm On Feb 16, 2012
Just maintaining the plugs of a damaged car, rather than changing it entirely.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by LagosBoi2(m): 12:44pm On Feb 16, 2012
denitro:

Is that true?

yes very true, Femi Falana exposed their package of fraud.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by jidewin(m): 12:47pm On Feb 16, 2012
YOu no want make Jona to "chop" well well before he go comot?After the expiration for his tenure,you should not be surprised he will be singing a different tune.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by 989900: 12:53pm On Feb 16, 2012

Jona think say him get skill (ogiri-gba-'mi-la). . . not in 2012.

The House probe rather shows GEJ's administration involvement and /or inadequacies
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by sheyguy: 12:58pm On Feb 16, 2012
Ninapha:

I was expecting him to support it. If one Azikiwe has made a mistake in joining it (NIGER AREA) together i expect another to correct it.
This guy proving to be the second coming of the first Azikiwe.

1 Like

Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by BashMe1(m): 1:04pm On Feb 16, 2012
executinal:

You are on point

GBAM!
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by nduchucks: 1:07pm On Feb 16, 2012
hehehehe cheesy We shouldn't be a bit surprised. GEJ wants to keep his job and he knows that as soon as NASS believes that he is serious about convening SNC, they will definitely impeach the President. No one relinquishes power voluntarily.

1 Like

Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by niddamugu(m): 1:14pm On Feb 16, 2012
GEJ may not support SNC for now. But be rest assured that as soon as he steps down as president, that would be is primary and only agenda. Then he would realize that he wasted a clear chance of writing his name in the history books of "positive achievers"

God bless Naija.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by dozai: 1:15pm On Feb 16, 2012
A clown in a hat. Your people are clamouring for true federalism and u are there telling them that they dont need it.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Ninapha(f): 1:27pm On Feb 16, 2012
sheyguy:

I was expecting him to support it. If one Azikiwe has made a mistake in joining it (NIGER AREA) together i expect another to correct it.
This guy proving to be the second coming of the first Azikiwe.

U are indeed funny. grin grin grin but We all know it would take a greater force to make a serving president agree to such opinion knowing it would be recorded in his score card.

1 Like

Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Demdem(m): 1:29pm On Feb 16, 2012
Very ffoolish man. Selfish iidiot.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Sweetlemon(f): 1:52pm On Feb 16, 2012
before I start, let me say I AM NOT A GEJ PRAISE SINGER/SYMPATHIZER
I have watched in total dismay, the rate at which this site has turned into a tribal war site due to the rising belief among Nigerians that a split up of Nigeria will automatically solve Nigeria's problems.
My dear brothers and sisters, this belief, I must say, is a lie directly from the pit of hell!
Oh! so you guys think that spliting Nigeria will save you from boko haram huh? Well, I have news for you, Nigeria will keep spiliting into many tiny countries as long as the root of our problems remain in tact because we will still be stuck with the same evil breed of politicians who wll continue to sponsor more groups like they have been doing with MEND, boko haram, OPC, etc. More groups will continue to spring up from no where in our new countries! cant you guys see that!!!!
Cant you see that the real problem with Nigeria is LACK OF LOVE for one another and PRIDE?
Let me break it down, look at the west, let's pick lagos as a case study. We have the Ijebus and Aworis at each others throats on the issue of who the real settlers are. Imagine Nigeria breaking up, wont these groups also fight for who should govern over them?  Would an Ijebu man vote for an Awori man for president?
Let's look at the Niger delta region, we are all aware of the age old beef btw the ijaws and the Itshekiris. How would they cope with leadership if that region becomes a country?
In my state, the three ethic groups hardly see eye to eye. Imagine Akwa-Ibom and Cross-River as one state, the Oron and Calabar people will never be comfortable with the Ibibios ruling them. We will be back to that 'zoning' crap.
Look at the recent tribal clashes in Ebonyi state. Na boko haram cause am?
Think guys! dont allow the devil make us think that breaking up a family will solve its problems. look at India, it broke into pakistan, then bangladesh. Are they now living happily? tell me!
Look at Sudan, south sudan has been crying for 'independence from the northern part. now they have it. But guess what? Thousands have fleed south sudan due to fresh crisis in south sudan!
yeah yeah, I know it has worked for some other countries but how are we so sure it will work for us? I STRONGLY believe it will not because of the nature of the root of our problems
Let us love and respect each other's tribes, languages, cultures, and religion. That is the ONLY thing that can bring lasting solution to our problems! Where there is love and respect, people will start considering others in whatever they do or say. when this happens, corruption will die a slow but steady death which will then pave way for better governance.
Look at the U.S.A, if there is any country in the world that should be having 'tribal' problems, it should be America because she has an assortment of not just different RACES but also different NATIONS from all over the world. there are also different religions such as Christianity, islam, Jewism, Hindu, etc. This is because there are African Americans, Asian Americans, European Americans, etc.
But do you see a New Yorker thinking that a Texan cannot 'rule' him?
Hell No!
Why?
Because although they may use different platforms, Americans generally speak up with ONE voice! they are together, they are united. do a research and you will see that is why they are still the most powerful country in the world.
Think about it guys!
My instinct tells me that breaking up Nigeria will be one of the biggest mistakes ever made in history, and believe me, its almost always correct!

1 Like

Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by houvest: 1:55pm On Feb 16, 2012
No sitting president will support it. So it is no News. It is the citizens that will push for it. Funny for the article to use the word 'foreclose'. Nigerian journalists and their choice of words. You ain't seen nothing yet. By the time it starts, even the president will be begging Nigerians for dialogue. Nigerians take your destiny in your hands. Occupy Senate, HOR, Aso Rock,etc, now.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Nobody: 2:00pm On Feb 16, 2012
Our presido don hit nail for the Tail. The nail jump up o! All hail GEJ
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by alahamad(m): 2:09pm On Feb 16, 2012
I really dont blame the stupid President. i blame all those who voted him in and believed in him,  the fuel subsidy probe is nothing but a distraction cos we all know that nothing will be done to all those thieves. cos if the house of assembly can borrow money from the bank, shared within themselves and the court says it within their
989900:

Jona think say him get skill (ogiri-gba-'mi-la). . . not in 2012.

The House probe rather shows GEJ's administration involvement and /or inadequacies

powers to do that then how do ya'll expect the president to support true federalism.

I hate what boko haram has been doing especially to my home-town{Kano}, but honestly, i think BH should penetrate politicians and make it clear that any politician who doesn't account for his/her deeds in office on a credibility lane, should be bombed to hell,

that might bring some sense of transparency into their useless brains.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by ektbear: 2:23pm On Feb 16, 2012
thunder fire GEJ
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by otokx(m): 2:30pm On Feb 16, 2012
GEJ is in order
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Willy7(m): 2:40pm On Feb 16, 2012
As a sitting president u dnt expect him to support or champion such an idea,cos of their imaginary threat to their power and seats.I said imaginary because i dnt see how an SNC will disintegrate d country.Its just a platform for discussion,where every ethnic group and people will be represented to air their minds and chat a way forward,cos i cnt be walking in d north and lookn over my shoulders while abokis feel safe and secured in my teritory.Its not done anywhere.Lets call a spade a spade.The madness has got to stop.As for d disintegration of Nigeria,i dnt see what will stop it if God so will.So whether SNC or not,Nigeria's future will be decided one day.I just pray that we find a peaceful solution to our problems.God bless us all
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Demdem(m): 2:46pm On Feb 16, 2012
its wrong for peeps to say that SNC basically means breaking this nation. it isnt so. we basically want to restructure this entity called Nigeria and determine on what basis and grounds we all want to be governed. The NASS cant do this.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by jamiucoke: 2:53pm On Feb 16, 2012
Mr moderator ! PS, abusive language should not be allowed. Nigerian president deserve some respect . ekt bear and co take note .
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Kilode1: 2:53pm On Feb 16, 2012
Sweetlemon:

before I start, let me say I AM NOT A GEJ PRAISE SINGER/SYMPATHIZER
I have watched in total dismay, the rate at which this site has turned into a tribal war site due to the rising belief among Nigerians that a split up of Nigeria will automatically solve Nigeria's problems.
My dear brothers and sisters, this belief, I must say, is a lie directly from the pit of hell!
Oh! so you guys think that spliting Nigeria will save you from boko haram huh? Well, I have news for you, Nigeria will keep spiliting into many tiny countries as long as the root of our problems remain in tact because we will still be stuck with the same evil breed of politicians who wll continue to sponsor more groups like they have been doing with MEND, boko haram, OPC, etc. More groups will continue to spring up from no where in our new countries! cant you guys see that!!!!
Cant you see that the real problem with Nigeria is LACK OF LOVE for one another and PRIDE?
Let me break it down, look at the west, let's pick lagos as a case study. We have the Ijebus and Aworis at each others throat on the issue of who the real settlers are. Imagine Nigeria breaking up, wont these groups also fight for who should govern over them?  Would an Ijebu man vote for an Awori man for president?
Let's look at the Niger delta region, we are all aware of the age old beef btw the ijaws and the Itshekiris. How would they cope with leadership if that region becomes a country?
In my state, the three ethic groups hardly see eye to eye. Imagine Akwa-Ibom and Cross-River as one state, the Oron and Calabar people will never be comfortable with the Ibibios ruling them. We will be back to that 'zoning' crap.
Look at the recent tribal clashes in Ebonyi state. Na boko haram cause am?
Think guys! dont allow the devil make us think that breaking up a family will solve its problems. look at India, it broke into pakistan, then bangladesh. Are they now living happily? tell me!
Look at Sudan, south sudan has been crying for 'independence from the northern part. now they have it. But guess what? Thousands have fleed south sudan due to fresh crisis in south sudan!
yeah yeah, I know it has worked for some other countries but how are we so sure it will work for us? It will not because of the nature of ofthe root of our problems
Let us love and respect each other's tribes, languages, cultures, and religion. That is the ONLY thing that can bring lasting solution to our problems! Where there is love and respect, people will start considering others in whatever they do or say. when this happens, corruption will die a slow but steay death which will then pave way for better governance.
Look at the U.S.A, if there is any country in the world that should be having 'tribal' problems, it should be America because se has an assortment of not just different RACES but also different NATIONS from all over the world. there are also different religions such as Christianity, islam, Jewism, Hindu, etc. This is because there are African Americans, Asian, Americans, European Americans, etc.
But do you see a New Yorker thinking that a Texan cannot 'rule' him?
Hell No!
Why?
Because although they may useifferent platforms, Americans generally speak up with ONE voice! they are together, they are united. do a research and you will see that is why they are still the most powerful country in the world.
Think about it guys!
My instinct tells me that breaking up Nigeria will be one of the biggest mistakes ever made in history, and believe me, its almost always correct!

OK. So tell us how to introduce this LOVE and Pride

I want to be educated

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Wike Attributes Insecurity To Parental Irresponsibility / Abia Central: I'm The Best Candidate, Onuigbo Declares As He Joins Senate Race / Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.