Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,324 members, 7,829,809 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:03 PM

No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej (8533 Views)

Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year / OPC Joins Calls For Sovereign National Conference / Tinubu Calls For Sovereign National Conference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by dayokanu(m): 11:31pm On Feb 16, 2012
oiseworld:

did u see any alhaji on that list of leaders.

Pls help with what unites america and isreal

So if anyone isnt an Alhaji he is a Xtian?

I didnt see Alhaji behind Benjamin Netanyahus name and he isnt a xtian, Neither did I see Alhaji Hu jin tao
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by dayokanu(m): 11:33pm On Feb 16, 2012
Odechukwu Retardeen is very hopeless

After his regime if he can not liberate the people of the SS lets now see how what would happen later.

Has he resolved any of the agitation of his people?

resource control? SNC? development?

If Retardeen who claims he knows the problem of the SS and his fathers house is beside an oil well cant resolve the SS issue

Then you would be expecting, Alhaji, mallam from Kano to do that?

the same way we blame Northern leaders for Almajiri problems would be the same way Retardeen would be blamed for SS woes if it continues beyond his term(s)
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Nobody: 11:35pm On Feb 16, 2012
dayokanu:

So if anyone isnt an Alhaji he is a Xtian?

I didnt see Alhaji behind Benjamin Netanyahus name and he isnt a xtian, Neither did I see Alhaji Hu jin tao

Or Alhaji Yitzhak Rabin, or Imam Ben Guiron.

That dude is just nuts. If after the in-depth analysis Beaf offered the only thing hes still yelling over is "In God We Trust", what else is there to tell him other than "Ok, youre right, even the Jewish State of Israel is overwhelmingly made up of Christians and Free Masons".

SMH. Extremists of all forms disgust the hell out of me.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Beaf: 11:55pm On Feb 16, 2012
oiseworld:

@beaf
u could also help on the american motto "IN GOD WE TRUST"

Just like "Order out of Chaos," "In God we trust" too is a Masonic motto. It is from the Latin, In Deo fiducia vinces which is translated "In the Lord is all our Trust" on this webpage of Masonic motto's: http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/history/masonic_mottoes.html

Like I said, they needed a framework that could actualise their guiding philosophies of freedom, liberalism, democracy, popular choice and religious tolerance. These were philosophies that were highly intellectually driven (unfortunately they missed out or ignored racial tolerance).
The founding fathers and others who forged the soul of the US were driven by a practical need and fed by ideology which in turn was bedded in enduring philosophies of individual rights and aspirations; it had [b]absolutely [/b]nothing to do with religion.

We too should be hammering out our own abiding national philosophies, which religion should play no part of. Religion is a drug that is used to keep the masses in bondage and put them in line to obey orders that are inimical to either logic or their wellbeing, as well as national cohesion. Learn from the woes of Northern Ireland and the UK.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by ochukoccna: 11:55pm On Feb 16, 2012
President Goodluck Jonathan, on Wednesday, foreclosed the idea of convening a Sovereign National Conference, stating that the Presidential Committee on Outstanding Constitutional Issues, headed by Justice Alfa Belgore, was set up to handle defects in the current 1999 Constitution.

Its not about defects in the constitution dummy, grin grin grin grin
its about defects in the country's setup.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by oiseworld: 12:51am On Feb 17, 2012
@kingoflag why do i have to be called nuts because i insisted on a point. Tanks all the same.

I remember wen ever the arab world is provoked by america the first thing they do (expecially the youths) is burn the american flag and a bible. I also watched an american pastor threathen to burn a quran in public if a mosque is built on the site of the world trade center. All this and much more influenced my arguement.
I have also discouvered that almost all american president swore an oath using the bible.

Tanks for ur education.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Beaf: 2:54am On Feb 17, 2012
ochukoccna:

Its not about defects in the constitution dummy, grin grin grin grin
its about defects in the country's setup.

Is the constitution not the blueprint for the country's setup? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Bros, you are dancing kokoma on your own tongue.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Kobojunkie: 3:09am On Feb 17, 2012
I do hope that in light of this new revelation, all the Goodluck Jonathan sychophants will shut their buccal cavity when it comes to calling  for true federalism.

Since dem oga don register say True Federalism is a no no , hope say we go fit hear word now . . . . . So much for wanting change to the system . . . rofl
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Obiagu1(m): 3:10am On Feb 17, 2012
By 2015, SS presidency will end, make I hear kpim from them again.

If GEJ cannot restructure this country now, who will do it? A Northerner?
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Obiagu1(m): 3:15am On Feb 17, 2012
If the SS lead by GEJ will sabotage SNC which will lead to restructuring of Nigeria, then I think every region should sabotage resource control. Chikena!
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Onlytruth(m): 3:29am On Feb 17, 2012
Obiagu1:

Bros I'm thinking that our support for GEJ may have been in vain because the more I look to see any transformative agenda from him, the less I see any.
His body language these days even shows that he is almost comfortable with the status quo. embarassed That is why I say that I won't support him past December this year.
He has to show that he is serious about changing Nigeria.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by dayokanu(m): 3:38am On Feb 17, 2012
Onlytruth:

Bros I'm thinking that our support for GEJ may have been in vain because the more I look to see any transformative agenda from him, the less I see any.
His body language these days even shows that he is almost comfortable with the status quo
. embarassed That is why I say that I won't support him past December this year.

Dry bones shall rise again, dry bones shall rise again

Lord Jehovah is able to do all things

He is able able dry bones shall rise again

In the latter days, the blind shall see, the cripple shall walk and the dumb shall walk

Says the Lord of hosts
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Obiagu1(m): 3:46am On Feb 17, 2012
Onlytruth:

His body language these days even shows that he is almost comfortable with the status quo. embarassed That is why I say that I won't support him past December this year.

My support ended after fuel subsidy saga.

Anyway, from what I observed, every agitation from down South starts and ends with resource control and not proper restructuring of the country. Glad that someone like Oritsejafor called for SNC too. It pisses me off when someone that's suppose to understand that Nigeria handed over to us by the Whites and the Military is not working will choose to play politics instead.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Onlytruth(m): 3:49am On Feb 17, 2012
dayokanu:

Dry bones shall rise again, dry bones shall rise again

Lord Jehovah is able to do all things

He is able able dry bones shall rise again

In the latter days, the blind shall see, the cripple shall walk and the dumb shall walk

Says the Lord of hosts

Na me you dey call "dry bone"? Abeg mind yourself o! hehe.  grin

Anyway, please repent first before using the name of the most high.  cool
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Onlytruth(m): 3:51am On Feb 17, 2012
Obiagu1:

Anyway, from what I observed, every agitation from down South starts and ends with resource control and not proper restructuring of the country. Glad that someone like Oritsejafor called for SNC too. It pisses me off when someone that's suppose to understand that Nigeria handed over to us by the Whites and the Military is not working will choose to play politics instead.

I noticed the same thing too.
It is selfish and recidivistic. What we need is total transformation that deals with all vexing issues. Nigeria's problem does not begin and end with resource control.
Anyway, we are watching to see his next moves, but our eyes are opening more and more.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by dayokanu(m): 3:56am On Feb 17, 2012
If Retardeen doesnt convene a SNC till he leaves office,
He doesnt resolve the derivation.
Does nothing about resource control,
Does nothing about amenities in the SS and
He leaves Nigeria in the current structure

Walahi it would take another 50yrs for the SS to see any respite

The next Northerner has the easiest job

Carry Edwin Clark, Asari and some guys put them in your cabinet settle them and the real people in SS continue to suffer.

I laff in fresh air
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Beaf: 4:13am On Feb 17, 2012
^
Cut the crap. Anyone reading would think that the President is only there for the SS. Its time for people like you to leave thinking in bigotted ways.

@topic
For the balance, here are GEJ's words:

“In recognition of the demands by Nigerians for a constitutional amendment, we set up the Justice Belgore Committee to bring up all those issues which have been agreed upon at previous national conferences, for presentation as bills to the National Assembly, and subsequent passage into law, while a larger body will meet on issues that are still controversial for a national consensus.

No President can convene a Sovereign National Conference without being acused of subverting the state, but GEJ can surely set the ball rolling (which he has).
It is for other groups to begin clamouring for an SNC in addition to the two groups that visited GEJ.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Obiagu1(m): 4:32am On Feb 17, 2012
Beaf:

^
Cut the crap. Anyone reading would think that the President is only there for the SS. Its time for people like you to leave thinking in bigotted ways.

@topic
For the balance, here are GEJ's words:

No President can convene a Sovereign National Conference without being acused of subverting the state, but GEJ can surely set the ball rolling (which he has).
It is for other groups to begin clamouring for an SNC in addition to the two groups that visited GEJ.

Call it SNC or any other name but the aim will be to restructure the country except he sees no problem in the way Nigeria is constituted. SNC does not equate disintegration of Nigeria.

As for the quote "a larger body will meet on issues that are still controversial for a national consensus" does not make sense to me. Nigeria as a whole is controversial from the illegal states and LGAs created by illegal military regimes without conducting a referendum to federal civil service to redefining citizenship and indigene/settler problem to revenue allocation to resource control to . . . everything.
It's not a case where he will selectively pick what to be discussed.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Beaf: 4:40am On Feb 17, 2012
Obiagu1:

Call it SNC or any other name but the aim will be to restructure the country except he sees no problem in the way Nigeria is constituted. SNC does not equate disintegration of Nigeria.

As for the quote "a larger body will meet on issues that are still controversial for a national consensus" does not make sense to me. Nigeria as a whole is controversial from the illegal states and LGAs created by illegal military regimes without conducting a referendum to federal civil service to redefining citizenship and indigene/settler problem to revenue allocation to resource control to . . . everything.
It's not a case where he will selectively pick what to be discussed.

If you follow the setting up of the Belgore committee closely, you'll find that that larger group will represent every ethnic group in Nigeria. Things have to be done with a lot of tact.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Obiagu1(m): 4:44am On Feb 17, 2012
Beaf:

If you follow the setting up of the Belgore committee closely, you'll find that that larger group will represent every ethnic group in Nigeria. Things have to be done with a lot of tact.

I hope they make the proceedings public.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Beaf: 4:57am On Feb 17, 2012
Obiagu1:

I hope they make the proceedings public.

The idea is to generate interest and momentum, so I guess all deliberations will be public. Some bills for constitutional changes would already have been sent to the national assembly to signal serious intent before the committee is expanded. These are GEJ's own words:

“We believe that those areas where there are (is) consensus, except because of the emerging realities, you need to tinker about it, you package them as bills for us and send to the National Assembly but those broaden headlines that there are still controversies, we may expand, we will recommend expansion of your team because those ones will require probably some ethnic nationalities, some opinion leaders, some cultural groups to represent their interests and we will have to debate those sections differently.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jonathan-sets-agenda-for-constitution-review-committee/103096/

You should read the rest of the article closely; there is a lot he talks about, the majority will be missed by eyes that are not keen. My brother, there is still a long way to go and we need to keep on trucking.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Kobojunkie: 5:03am On Feb 17, 2012
From an article published as far back as December 1999

[size=13pt]The Sovereign National Conference will give ethnic nationalities an opportunity to examine the questions that have made Nigeria such a disaster and come up with some answers such as the right of every nationality to have greater control over their resources. As such it is hardly surprising that a vast majority of the people, political parties, all ethnic groups, human rights groups, the press, workers unions, and not least the Houses of legislative Assemblies in the six states controlled by The Alliance for Democracy, have strongly come out in favour of calling on the Federal Government to convene the conference.[/size] [size=13pt]However the ruling elite seem to think otherwise, recently, President Obasanjo dismissed the calls for a Sovereign Conference as "idle talk".[/size] he Senate also has set up a committee supposedly to examine the need for constitutional reform, this is nothing but a blatant attempt to evade a full dialogue on the issue. Such an attitude could hardly becomes a democratically elected government as the Obasanjo administration claims to be.

http://www.humanrights.de/doc_en/countries/nigeria/background/sovereign_national_conference.html
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Kobojunkie: 5:32am On Feb 17, 2012

[size=13pt]Senate has rejected calls  for a Sovereign National Conference,  saying the country does not need it. Chairman, Senate Information Committee,  Enyinnaya Abaribe, after plenary said the National Assembly remained the  only platform for any national discuss. Senator Abaribe urged those who were  calling for the SNC to bring their demands to the National Assembly  which he said composed of representatives of the people[/size]

http://www.nigeriainfo.fm/index.php/world/59-story1/388-senate-rejects-calls-for-sovereign-national-conference

Again ooo . . . .

I do hope that in light of this new revelation, all the Goodluck Jonathan sychophants will shut their buccal cavity when it comes to calling  for true federalism.

Since dem oga don register say True Federalism is a no no , hope say we go fit hear word now . . . . . So much for wanting change to the system . . . rofl
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by cjfavour(m): 6:29am On Feb 17, 2012
frm happennings,its obvious nigeria nd to talk b it sovereign or nt. Ok lets say conveign a conference of all ethnic groups in nigeria.hope this is better? The constitution we're using now was imposed by d military. So we're practising military gov masking as democracy. That's why things are nt working.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Sweetlemon(f): 8:02am On Feb 17, 2012
@Kilode, just do your own part and love and respect those around you, if we can all do that then we will solve the problem on a 'macro scale' as you put it.
JUST DO YOUR OWN PART!
@Oiseworld, Isreal is LARGELY a Jewish nation and Jews are NOT christains. In fact they do not believe in Jesus christ! besides, America is much more united than Isreal and you cannot compare America's diverse nature to that of Isreal. Like i said earlier, There are Africans, Europeans, Asians, even Arab Americans. But they are UNITED and I dont see ANYTHING tearing them apart anytime soon.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Demdem(m): 8:18am On Feb 17, 2012
Its good to see that folks have started seeing what peeps like me know from day 1. better late than never
There is nothing fresh about the retardeen. he is a liar and deceiver. even eze ndigbo of nairaland 1 who rallied his people (dead and alive) to vote for the failure from bayelsa is fast realizing that he goofed. GEJ is for the staus quo to continue. status quo itself means poverty, corruption, failure etc. Belgore committee my foot.

Obiagu1:

Onlytruth:

His body language these days even shows that he is almost comfortable with the status quo.  embarassed That is why I say that I won't support him past December this year.
Obiagu1:

Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Sweetlemon(f): 8:31am On Feb 17, 2012
As a matter of fact, it is true that America has a foundation deeply rooted in God. In fact, the born again christians worship God from the bottom of their hearts compared to us here who are more hypocritical in our own worship.
That is why it is easier for them to love and accept each other.
BUT then again, since many of them do not even go to church, we cannot safely say that it is religion that binds them together!
Look closer, the average American respects his neighbours. He considers before taking certain actions such as littering the streets. When a girl brings home a guy to her parents, their first question is not ''where does he come from'' but stuff like ''what does he do?'' ''does he make you happy?''
These little things are what binds them together because these are things that come from their hearts
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Demdem(m): 8:56am On Feb 17, 2012
The retardeen's father also has spoken. All foools.

Former Military President General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida has thrown his weight behind President Goodluck Jonathan’s statement that there is no need for a Sovereign National Conference (SNC), stressing that it will only delay the progress of the nation which already has issues that needs immediate attention.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/ibb-no-need-for-sovereign-national-conference/109482/
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Sweetlemon(f): 9:11am On Feb 17, 2012
By all means, the SNC should hold. let our Constitution be reviewed, but let everybody attack the problem from the root and we can all see what the root is. trying to solve our problem by attacking symptoms of the problem will only be cosmetic.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by oiseworld: 10:10am On Feb 17, 2012
Sweetlemon:

@Oiseworld, Isreal is LARGELY a Jewish nation and Jews are NOT christains. In fact they do not believe in Jesus christ! besides, America is much more united than Isreal and you cannot compare America's diverse nature to that of Isreal. Like i said earlier, There are Africans, Europeans, Asians, even Arab Americans. But they are UNITED and I dont see ANYTHING tearing them apart anytime soon.

tanks for comimg back. I got an imsult in ur absence
t i know that christianity also has its root in judaism, jesus parents were jews. And am also knowledgeable of the truth in your post above.

Sweetlemon:

As a matter of fact, it is true that America has a foundation deeply rooted in God. In fact, the born again christians worship God from the bottom of their hearts compared to us here who are more hypocritical in our own worship.
That is why it is easier for them to love and accept each other.
BUT then again, since many of them do not even go to church, we cannot safely say that it is religion that binds them together!
Look closer, the average American respects his neighbours. He considers before taking certain actions such as littering the streets. When a girl brings home a guy to her parents, their first question is not ''where does he come from'' but stuff like ''what does he do?'' ''does he make you happy?''
These little things are what binds them together because these are things that come from their hearts

this post above justifies all wat i've been saying since!
The roots o any people or nation determines a lot. U might no longer be church goers or serious chrisrians but like you post states, ur fore fathers were. And the've passed this christian teaching over and over that it has become part of u. Even if you don't go to church. And it makes a lot of sense to every migrants in ur country.

That roots is what the problem of nigeria is. Different roots, some ethnical and some religious, the religious part is the most important. As a religious nation we have every right to choose and practice our religion how ever we feel. But there are two main religious practice. One is more libral while the other is not. so tell me how do you want these people to live together in peace and harmony. it just can't work! Not with a religioun that has not evolved past the 7th century.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by oiseworld: 10:17am On Feb 17, 2012
therefore, a SNC s not to break up the country, but to allow leader sit and talk. And admit the difference in the country. Then plot a way forward. Abi is that too much? mind you if breaking up is the only option were left with, then it gets my vote.
Re: No Need For Sovereign National Conference – Gej by Sweetlemon(f): 10:30am On Feb 17, 2012
@oiseworld, That Jesus' parents were Jews DOES NOT in ANY WAY mean that christianity has roots in Judaism. They are two totally different religions with different practices. In fact, Jews do not like christians. Jesus was killed by Jews because his teachings contradicted their belief.
Yes, the old testament of the bible, which is used by both the jews and christians makes us appear similar, but our WAYS of worship and beliefs are DIFFERENT. We worship God through Jesus christ while the Jews worship God directly. Till today, they are still waiting for the promised messiah because they do not believe Jesus is the one.
You still do not get my point. the root of our problem is not ethical or religious. they are merely symptoms of the problem. please i beg you, try and see what i am saying.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abdulfatai Emetumah: The Igbo Muslim King (Photo) / 2019: The Few Worthy Candidates Are Not In The Leading Parties- Pastor Godman / Malami Distances Himself From Allegations To Void Rivers Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.