Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,238 members, 7,815,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Stereotypes And Relationships - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Stereotypes And Relationships (13455 Views)

Domestic Violence And Relationships / Prophecy And Relationships / Inferiority Complex in Dating and Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stereotypes And Relationships by MrsChima1(f): 6:39pm On Feb 17, 2012
What are some of the stereotypes that are prevalent in relationships? Do you think stereotypes are a blessing or hinderance to your relationship?

Here are some stereotypes that are common in dating, marriage, and friendship relationships.

A man must ask a woman out and pay for the date.
If a woman have sex with a man on the first date, she is damaged goods.
A woman that is expressive about her sexuality is a lesbian or "easy".
If a man move into a woman's home, he is not a man.
If you are without child after 35 years old, you are barren/impotent.
All successful relationships are with someone of the same culture, ethnicity, and religion.

Do you think stereotypes are necessary? Your thoughts?
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by slimyem: 7:48pm On Feb 17, 2012
a large percentage of people enter into relationships with stereotypical mindsets and i believe it does more bad than good to both partners.
The phrase i detest most is  the 'all girls are the same' crap and i have heard it countless times in my life.
No one's ever ready to give you a benefit of the doubt and even when you do surprise them,it all still feels like a dream never coming thru to them.
What can you do except just play by it and pray for a win!
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by ArQueBusieR(m): 7:57pm On Feb 17, 2012
I find these rather strange as I've never been a conventional person. People should do what suits them best and not conform to some stupid societal norms. I'm a 'rebel', a proud 'rebel'.
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by AZeD1(m): 8:55pm On Feb 17, 2012
Stereotyping is bad for everything in life including relationships. I really get pissed of when i hear people who claim to be educated say things like
1) All successful relationships are with someone of the same culture, ethnicity, and religion. 
2) All girls/guys are [, ,x,y,z].
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by pendo89(f): 9:11pm On Feb 17, 2012
I dont think stereotypes are a blessing for the one reason we know of.WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT.

The mindset of some people need serious makeover but you know chima I have come to discover that the society makes people think and talk way they do.
In Africa esp,stereotypes can cause retardation because we like pleasing the bigger society. We conform to stereotypes and forget about personal development.

Are they necessary? Not to me cz I care more about personal development and what works in my favour really.
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by kokoye(m): 9:13pm On Feb 17, 2012
I am a liberal and free man. Call me loose

Stereotyping is for conservatives.

go figure.
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by Flashaldrin(m): 9:21pm On Feb 17, 2012
After all said and done, we are all stereotypes! Humans are configured that way, even animals.
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by InkedNerd(f): 9:39am On Feb 18, 2012
@OP: No, stereotypes are not necessary at all but sadly we live in a society where people feel the need to project their prejudges onto others. What's even more sad is that people make excuses for these stereotypes and perpetuate them.
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by Nobody: 1:26pm On Feb 18, 2012
This kills a lot of "should be perfect" relationships.
one that's so common is the general believe that "hard to get makes a man appreciate you more"

very disastrous
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by born2boink(m): 1:28pm On Feb 18, 2012
Mrs, Chima:

What are some of the stereotypes that are prevalent in relationships?  Do you think stereotypes are a blessing or hinderance to your relationship?  

Here are some stereotypes that are common in dating, marriage, and friendship relationships.  

A man must ask a woman out and pay for the date.
If a woman Be Intimate with a man on the first date, she is damaged goods.
A woman that is expressive about her sexuality is a lesbian or "easy".  
If a man move into a woman's home, he is not a man.  
If you are without child after 35 years old, you are barren/impotent.  
All successful relationships are with someone of the same culture, ethnicity, and religion.  

Do you think stereotypes are necessary?   Your thoughts?

Why would a man move into a woman house, this I don't support,it is a bad idea
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by chimuchi(f): 1:30pm On Feb 18, 2012
[size=18pt]what is stereotypes?[/size]
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by Mynd44: 1:33pm On Feb 18, 2012
born2fuck:

i don't support it too. Don't move into each there's house unless you are married
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by freecocoa(f): 1:47pm On Feb 18, 2012
Stereotyping does more harm than good to relationships but unfortunately its something we as humans do and its often done unconsciously.
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by Nobody: 1:54pm On Feb 18, 2012
Stereotyping can be easy tied to worldview. Worldview is largely determined by parental upbringing and by the society where one grows up. It certainly isn't unusual to find Nigerians who possess these ideas, or are of the opinion that a shred of it is supportable. It's no fault of theirs really; it's the society.
Stereotyping  stunts relationship growth, deprives those involved maximum satisfaction in their pursuit of togetherness and eventually wrecks any and all relationships. I try to disassociate myself from these wanton beliefs and waste no time in expressing my dissatisfaction with those who perpetuate them. A girl is certainly done with me if she exhibits the tendency to cling to one form or another of stereotyping! angry
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by sarutobie(m): 1:57pm On Feb 18, 2012
I think it has to do with cultural enlightenment, most african cultures place sterotypical embargos on certain aspects which negatively or positively affect relationships btwn the 2 sexes, the whiteman seems to have moved past certain beliefs(which we africans find alien when we observe them), It has its pros nd cons.
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by Mynd44: 2:34pm On Feb 18, 2012
chimuchi:

Stereotypes are the types of stereos you have
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by Mynd44: 2:37pm On Feb 18, 2012
chimuchi:

Stereotypes are the types of stereos you have.
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by MrsChima1(f): 3:11pm On Feb 18, 2012
slimyem:

a large percentage of people enter into relationships with stereotypical mindsets and i believe it does more bad than good to both partners.
The phrase i detest most is  the 'all girls are the same' crap and i have heard it countless times in my life.
No one's ever ready to give you a benefit of the doubt and even when you do surprise them,it all still feels like a dream never coming thru to them.
What can you do except just play by it and pray for a win!

I don't think necessarily people go into relationships with stereotypes because in my opinion, it is always negative. People will not enter a relationship on a negative note unless they are in denial, but people often time go in with expectations of everything is easy.

Stereotyping in relationship is very common and people realizes after time passes that they have made errors base on stereotypes.

I agree that playing it by ear and praying for a win is a good way to enter a relationship.
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by MrsChima1(f): 3:34pm On Feb 18, 2012
chimuchi:

Stereotype is a standardized conception or imagery set with special meanings or held in common by groups, regions, buildings, and things.

For example:

White women have flat booties.
Igbos are money hungry and will do anything for it.
Arab people are bombers and suicidal.
Black Americans are lazy, on welfare, and anti-marriage.
Asians are good at math and science.
Yorubas are wowor and polygamous.
Black men have anaconda joysticks.
White men have snail joysticks.
Mexicans breed children faster than roaches.
White people have same idealogy and agree on everything.

These are examples of stereotypes that have been conceptualized by society and because a person looks like a specific group that they are characterized by the whole group.

Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by prettyboi1(m): 3:38pm On Feb 18, 2012
ArQueBusieR:

I find these rather strange as I've never been a conventional person. People should do what suits them best and not conform to the some silly societal norms. I'm a 'rebel', a proud 'rebel'.

You have spoken my mind, I'm a proud rebel, I'd do what works for me regardless of what anybody says,does or think. SCREW STEREOTYPES.
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by MrsChima1(f): 3:38pm On Feb 18, 2012
sauer:

Stereotyping can be easy tied to worldview. Worldview is largely determined by parental upbringing and by the society where one grows up. It certainly isn't unusual to find Nigerians who possess these ideas, or are of the opinion that a shred of it is supportable. It's no fault of theirs really; it's the society.
Stereotyping  stunts relationship growth, deprives those involved maximum satisfaction in their pursuit of togetherness and eventually wrecks any and all relationships. I try to disassociate myself from these wanton beliefs and waste no time in expressing my dissatisfaction with those who perpetuate them. A girl is certainly done with me if she exhibits the tendency to cling to one form or another of stereotyping! angry

Exactly.   kiss kiss

born2fuck:

Please elaborate why a man can't move into a woman house?  

(Without using culture and tradition explanation)
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by MrsChima1(f): 3:42pm On Feb 18, 2012
pendo89:

I dont think stereotypes are a blessing for the one reason we know of.WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT.

The mindset of some people need serious makeover but you know chima I have come to discover that the society makes people think and talk way they do.
In Africa esp,stereotypes can cause retardation because we like pleasing the bigger society. We conform to stereotypes and forget about personal development.

Are they necessary? Not to me cz I care more about personal development and what works in my favour really.

I agree on the personal development thing as well.

Inked_Nerd:

@OP: No, stereotypes are not necessary at all but sadly we live in a society where people feel the need to project their prejudges onto others. What's even more sad is that people make excuses for these stereotypes and perpetuate them.

Do you think prejudices are taught or experienced?

Nice comments my sistas. kiss kiss
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by prettyboi1(m): 3:42pm On Feb 18, 2012
ArQueBusieR:

I find these rather strange as I've never been a conventional person. People should do what suits them best and not conform to the some silly societal norms. I'm a 'rebel', a proud 'rebel'.

You have spoken my mind, I'm a proud rebel, I'd do what works for me regardless of what anybody says,does or think. SCREW STEREOTYPES.
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by MrsChima1(f): 3:46pm On Feb 18, 2012
A-ZeD:

Stereotyping is bad for everything in life including relationships. I really get pissed of when i hear people who claim to be educated say things like
1) All successful relationships are with someone of the same culture, ethnicity, and religion. 
2) All girls/guys are [, ,x,y,z].

Intelligence people thinks outside the box and ignorant people thinks inside the box. Intelligence people can mentally process things differently than ignorant people. However, ignorant has nothing to mentally process if they are not properly expose or introduce to variety of things in life.

It is interesting to see some comments on other threads regarding all Americans are like Obama and Bush going overseas bombing and stealing things. The commentator of that comment claimed to be intelligent. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

If people don't know better, they can't do better.
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by Lollysbride: 4:39pm On Feb 18, 2012
[img]http://www.kroro.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by pinnochio(m): 4:46pm On Feb 18, 2012
Some people who posted here claiming that stereotyping is bad and bla bla also posted in the thread about the 22year old boy who married the 68year old whitey today, calling the woman a maga and calling the boy a yoruba tout.

That looks like pure stereotyping to me. Everybody is always right in their own eyes & everyone says what suits them at the moment. Just today o.
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by Nobody: 5:28pm On Feb 18, 2012
^^you really are right, bro! Talk about talking from both sides of the mouth! I don't understand why anyone would deride the poor boy's choice anywayz! undecided
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by FlyboyZee: 5:41pm On Feb 18, 2012
F*U*C*K* STEREOTYPES.

I am in the Pursuit of Happyness. I do whatever makes me happy, irrespective of what other people think or feel. Its up to them to either pursue their own happiness or do what other people expects them to do, irresepective of whether its what they want to do or not. In the long run, You hear them say things lyk "if not for this or that, I would have done this", "Supposing I were a man, I would have done that", etc.
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by FlyboyZee: 5:45pm On Feb 18, 2012
Once again F*U*C*K* the STEREOTYPES.

I hate them.
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by Nobody: 6:02pm On Feb 18, 2012
Mrs, Chima:

Stereotype is a standardized conception or imagery set with special meanings or held in common by groups, regions, buildings, and things.

For example:

White women have flat booties.
Igbos are money hungry and will do anything for it.
Arab people are bombers and suicidal.
Black Americans are lazy, on welfare, and anti-marriage.
Asians are good at math and science.
Yorubas are wowor and polygamous.
Black men have anaconda manlinesses.
White men have snail manlinesses.
Mexicans breed children faster than roaches.
White people have same idealogy and agree on everything.

These are examples of stereotypes that have been conceptualized by society and because a person looks like a specific group that they are characterized by the whole group.

first option is false
second option is half true and half false
4th option is true
about the one about yorubas being wowor dat one na true.Take obasanjo for example grin
the one about we blackmen having big manhood dat one na true cheesy
the one about oyibo men having very small manhood dat one na hundred percent true, ehn why u do think white girls chase after we black men nah grin
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by MrsChima1(f): 6:09pm On Feb 18, 2012
lefulefu:

4th option is true

What do you know about the welfare system other than what you hear other people say?

If fourth option is true for all, do you think it is because of their African ancestry?  Because that is what many non-Black people thinks of ALL BLACK PEOPLE regardless of where they are from.  Except there are no welfare programs in Africa.   lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

According to MBJ, those who engages in scamming are lazy and doesn't want to work for their prosperity.   lipsrsealed
Re: Stereotypes And Relationships by Nobody: 6:17pm On Feb 18, 2012
Mrs, Chima:

What do you know about the welfare system other than what you hear other people say?

If fourth option is true for all, do you think it is because of their African ancestry?  Because that is what many non-Black people thinks of ALL BLACK PEOPLE regardless of where they are from.  Except there are no welfare programs in Africa.   lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

According to MBJ, those who engages in scamming are lazy and doesn't want to work for their prosperity.   lipsrsealed
most black americans are on welfare because they dont want to work and most blkmen have big manhood.the sterotypes are true

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reactions As Man Shares Pictures Of Himself And His Girlfriend In His Room. / See What Some Girls Never Learn / Help! My Boyfriend Caught Me With His Best Friend In Bed Two Days Ago.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.