Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,853 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1029) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4443877 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1026) (1027) (1028) (1029) (1030) (1031) (1032) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nnamz(m): 11:16pm On Jan 04, 2020
ibechris:

I invested once in TB and ever since I stopped because that profit was too small compared to what i might have gotten investing in the real sector.
Then why are you on this thread?

14 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:49am On Jan 05, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
really ?do what u did to generate the sum in the first place.....na 5

Still doing it, but the excess is what am trying to hide.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:51am On Jan 05, 2020
SATX:

Can you get the Lagos state bond through the bank? Or where would you recommend for one to get it from?

Thanks

Meet your Stockbroker or Investment house
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:06am On Jan 05, 2020
DigitalMallam:

On a personal note, I'm done with Nigerian stock market. Even if Warren Buffet advise me, I won't change my mind. It's highly unpredictable and can be liken to baba-ijebu or bet9ja.

I have some Unic insurance I bought way back, not even a kobo return over these yrs.
Same with Nigerian Breweries share bought about four yrs ago at about N140/share now selling at about N58 or so. And these companies are still in business.

How can one explain bizarre news below from Nairametrics.
International Breweries end 2019 as worst performing stock.
By Blurb Team @Nairametrics- January 2, 20200
International Breweries announces changes in management
Wealth NG ads
International Breweries started the year on a bounce hitting a high of N52.26 and about two weeks later it hit an all-time high of N58.69. Shareholders who still own the stock will remember this was in January 2018.

It’s been downhill since then, closing 2018 at N27.97 a 46.4% negative return and one of the worst performers that year. As if things couldn’t get any worse, shareholders faced another tumultuous 2019 with the stock closing 2019 at N9.4 and a negative return of 69%

With that, Nigeria’s second-largest brewer by revenue, International Breweries has ended 2019 with the unenviable record as the worst-performing stock of the year..

You cant go wrong when you use dividend yield as your guide

Nigeria Brewery at N140 paid a dividend of N3 that is a yield of less than 3%, international brewery has not paid a dividend in 5 years. How come your stocks ate in the brewery sector are you a Shayo?

Pension fund are invested in stock, they invest in companies that have been paying dividends consistently for 5 years and above.

Dangote Sugar at N10 last year paid a dividend of N1.1 that is a yield of about 11%, with the closure of the border the financial performance improved tremendously currently at N14.00 and will pay a dividend of at least N1.3 which is a yield of 9%

I always tell people not to over pay for an investment be it a property, Stock or a business. When you over pay it takes a longer time to break even, make sure that the cash flow from the investment can pay back the amount invested within a reasonable time which should be a maximum of 10 years .

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SATX: 6:12am On Jan 05, 2020
Thanks, appreciate it

emmanuelewumi:

Meet your Stockbroker or Investment house
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 7:13am On Jan 05, 2020
Barrytone:

Still doing it, but the excess is what am trying to hide.
put it here ....mulitples 2 bedroom @650 k .....total investment 57 million ,8 flats rents 5.2m .caution fees 800k , agreemnents 800k ..6.8m above emefeles 5 percents by 100 percent ...then the hidden property appreciation may be 5 percent per anum...real rate of return will be 12 +5 = 17 percent ....betting inflation hand down .....since rent is paid at the beginning of term the real rate is above 8

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DigitalMallam: 8:10am On Jan 05, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

You can go wrong when you use dividend yield as your guide

Nigeria Brewery at N140 paid a dividend of N3 that is a yield of less than 3%, international brewery has not paid a dividend in 5 years. How come your stocks ate in the brewery sector are you a Shayo?

Pension fund are invested in stock, they invest in companies that have been paying dividends consistently for 5 years and above.

Dangote Sugar at N10 last year paid a dividend of N1.1 that is a yield of about 11%, with the closure of the border the financial performance improved tremendously currently at N14.00 and will pay a dividend of at least N1.3 which is a yield of 9%

I always tell people not to over pay for an investment be it a property, Stock or a business. When you over pay it takes a longer time to break even, make sure that the cash flow from the investment can pay back the amount invested within a reasonable time which should be a maximum of 10 years .

Advise noted.
But will NEVER put a kobo into Nigerian stock.
Some of the scenario you painted above: a PFA that bought a share for N140 got dividend of N3 consecutively for the stipulated 5yrs = N15 gain and lost N90/share is that a good / viable venture?
Let me reiterate, I'm sticking to what I can understand with proven track record, things one can analyse with available data and predictive analysis and not a lottery/gambling - 'maifada da chikawa'
On a lighter note - I love beer.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:21am On Jan 05, 2020
DigitalMallam:

Advise noted.
Some of the scenario you painted above: a PFA that bought a share for N140 got dividend of N3 consecutively for the stipulated 5yrs = N15 gain and lost N90/share is that a good / viable venture?
Let me reiterate, I'm sticking to what I can understand with proven track record, things one can analyse with available data and predictive analysis and not a lottery/gambling - 'maifada da chikawa'

The fund manager of the pension fund must be sacked when an investment of N140 million gave N3 million, when if the same N140 million was invested in UBA shares would have given a dividend of about N20 million.

If you are financially literate from the quarterly and half year financial report of the companies you should be able to make an informed decision on what the full year results will look like.

The problem with the brewery sector is that youths who form the majority of the population get high on cheaper alternatives like bitters, codine, paraga, ogogoro etc all these have adversely affected the profitability of the breweries.

The current government also introduced new taxed and levies which doesn't favour the brewery business

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pluto09(m): 8:40am On Jan 05, 2020
DigitalMallam:

Advise noted.

Stock investment is not for everyone.
Your decision to stay away from Nigeria stock might be a good one.
However, that you lost money in the stock market does not mean that the stock market is bad. People who understand the game are making good money in the Nigeria stock market market while some others are loosing money. That is the major difference between stock and Tb.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 9:19am On Jan 05, 2020
DigitalMallam:

On a personal note, I'm done with Nigerian stock market. Even if Warren Buffet advise me, I won't change my mind. It's highly unpredictable and can be liken to baba-ijebu or bet9ja.

I have some Unic insurance I bought way back, not even a kobo return over these yrs.
Same with Nigerian Breweries share bought about four yrs ago at about N140/share now selling at about N58 or so. And these companies are still in business.

How can one explain bizarre news below from Nairametrics.
International Breweries end 2019 as worst performing stock.
By Blurb Team @Nairametrics- January 2, 20200
International Breweries announces changes in management
Wealth NG ads
International Breweries started the year on a bounce hitting a high of N52.26 and about two weeks later it hit an all-time high of N58.69. Shareholders who still own the stock will remember this was in January 2018.

It’s been downhill since then, closing 2018 at N27.97 a 46.4% negative return and one of the worst performers that year. As if things couldn’t get any worse, shareholders faced another tumultuous 2019 with the stock closing 2019 at N9.4 and a negative return of 69%

With that, Nigeria’s second-largest brewer by revenue, International Breweries has ended 2019 with the unenviable record as the worst-performing stock of the year..

On a lighter note, you should understand that with Buhari and Osinbajo in power, there is no beer consumptions at the highest level for now. Imagine a zero beer budget in Aso rock since the past 4 years. Dem no dey drink beer in Villa for now.
grin wink grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by brandable: 9:27am On Jan 05, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

You cant go wrong when you use dividend yield as your guide

Sir, how are you privy to information on stocks pension fund are investing in?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:30am On Jan 05, 2020
unite4real:

On a lighter mood, you should understand that with Buhari and Osinbajo in power, there is no beer consumptions at the highest level for now. Imagine a zero beer budget in also rock since the past 4 years.
grin wink grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
several items affected the beer industry....i bottle of star@300 or a plate of rice @300 and a recession....the rational consumer will eat 250 then drink alomo pack 50 naira making 300 .....then a recession and raise cost and devalution ....mean cost of importing raw materials has increase, salaries of expert staff doubled in naira while the beer consumers have reduced spending power meaning less beer or cheaper alternatives or ogogoro

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:33am On Jan 05, 2020
For nb to be profitable all those oyinbos earning dollars must leave the nigerian subsidiary only person with very scare skills ..they must look for local raw materials ,start producing alcohol to suit the changing taste and income etc
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 9:36am On Jan 05, 2020
Adiwana:
Don't know why folks here keep on going back and forth with "real economy" guys. You guys should have known better to answer everybody that has an opinion. I have tbills of N20m that's maturing next month and you think i will touch N1 from it to invest in some phantom economy?? Money is already being made from whatever gave that cash so why get greedy?? You think I will suddenly rush and use that money and put in some stock market to make 17% a day??lol. Better put that money and make your 5%/annum and have your peace of mind or invest in something that will go into thin air.I don't talk my own finish..

U have my mindset but come to think of it critically, u may have lost almost 6.6% of the value of ur money whenever u want to spend it. wrt inflation.

I structured all my expenses around TB....but to my greatest surprise it's gone for now. Ive never been a fan of bonds cos the grammar is too much. But we have to move on and restrategize.

If like they say that bonds can give 12% ROI, and I need to spend as well as save, like my TB days, I've decided to take off the interest and invest the balance. E.g I have 20m. and 12% of 20m is abt 2.4m.....the idea is to invest 18m in bonds and keep back 2m. In essence I have preserved my 20m at the end of the bond tenure and still have 2m to spend just like in my TB days.

Don't know if I could get a year on those fgn bond or eurobonds offer. Cos my budgets are structured yearly.

Don't hold on to TB at 3.5% biko.....

.i still have to read up on Bonds,though my major TB investment doesn't mature on till June 2020
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:52am On Jan 05, 2020
brandable:

Sir, how are you privy to information on stocks pension fund are investing in?

They have guidelines as released by PENCOM.

Nigeria Stock Exchange have an index for the stocks Pension Fund Managers are invested in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Just2endowed2(m): 10:39am On Jan 05, 2020
Nnamz:

I hate to comment on stuff like this but let me try.

Your FG is pocketing 100% of money meant for electricity, roads, infrastructure, etc. Your FG is also pocketing money meant for schools. Your FG flies overseas for treatment. So what are you commending them for? But that is not my point.

These countries you have mentioned with low tb rate have steady power supply, good roads, and sound insurance. Did you know that if there was steady power supply in Nigeria everybody would be doing something just like in China? People would leave Canada and come to Nigeria to start a good business with their savings. When people in other developed nations plan a business, they do not take the cost of power into consideration. I mean, they do, but they do not plan to have their generator on for the whole day their business is open.

Please wait till your FG stops pocketing the money meant for you and I, and starts doing good things in this country before you start commending them.

Before I end this, your FG is using how much again . . . Yes 37 billion Naira (131 million Dollars) to renovate the House and Senate buildings. And because Buhari approved that spending, the stupid House and Senate did him a quid pro quo by approving the 23 freaking BILLION US DOLLARS he intends borrowing. Guess what? That borrowed money will be shared in Ghana must go bags amongst your FG, while you stay here commending them. And it is young people like me and our future generations that would pay these loans through our noses. Abeg no make me shout.

Bros you spoke my mind. I don't know why some people will be economical with the truth.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by isangjohnson: 10:58am On Jan 05, 2020
In as much as I'm not in support of some of the government unfriendly policies, but the border closure is one of the best policy of this present regime.
The metric tones of fuel for example that was smuggled out of this country on daily basis to the neighboring countries was far greater than what was consumed in the country. Most of the importers also were no longer patronizing our seaports as most of them were clearing their goods in the neighboring country at a cheaper rate and load them in trucks back to Nigerian market just to make more gain. Most of those banned items in Nigeria weren't banned in neighboring countries. So there were still able to ship them easily into the country through this same market strategy.
Most of our guys are out to make money without minding the health hazards such goods will post to citizenry.
God will give us other avenue to make money that will not cause pain to others.
Happy New Year Investors.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ibechris(m): 11:36am On Jan 05, 2020
Nnamz:

Then why are you on this thread?

To watch how unintelligent u have been all these years.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by healthserve(m): 11:38am On Jan 05, 2020
ibechris:

To watch how unintelligent u have been all these years.

cheesy K.O

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ibechris(m): 11:51am On Jan 05, 2020
healthserve:

cheesy K.O

I didn't want to answer him but I was compelled to do it because I have never de-marketed TB neither I have in and way sold my ideas to anyone just to make TB look unprofitable to all in it. As we used to say here,that everyone should invest based on his risk appetite.

I am on this thread because I value education more than money, and I will continue to rob minds together with men and not boys,Women and not girls. So,that is why I am here!

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by healthserve(m): 11:56am On Jan 05, 2020
ibechris:

I didn't want to answer him but I was compelled to do it because I have never de-marketed TB neither I have in and way sold my ideas to anyone just to make TB look unprofitable to all in it. As we used to say here,that everyone should invest based on his risk appetite.

I am on this thread because I value education more than money, and I will continue to rob minds together with men and not boys,Women and not girls. So,that is why I am here!

My brother I am sorry on behalf of our generation. Who are ready to fight for almost any reasons. People. Who can't withstand criticisms/and that other can be without having to explain to them. Who to them everything should be an intellectual fight on who has more wits and whom people look to most and who made the loudest arguement...

May social media not run us mad. I followed your interactions from the start and just help but wonder why young men won't listen that wealth at times comes from tapping knowledge and that the more " true men" share, the more the human mind is able to get information that can be transformed into an asset.

Take it easy my brother. No fights bro. Me. Don leave una. Just wanted to drop this piece by Sir. I trust family and the hustle dey kanpe

Make I run leave una thread before they continue with the smear campaign this new year cool

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ibechris(m): 12:12pm On Jan 05, 2020
healthserve:

My brother I am sorry on behalf of our generation. Who are ready to fight for almost any reasons. People. Who can't withstand criticisms/and that other can be without having to explain to them. Who to them everything should be an intellectual fight on who has more wits and whom people look to most and who made the loudest arguement...

May social media not run us mad. I followed your interactions from the start and just help but wonder why young men won't listen that wealth at times comes from tapping knowledge and that the more " true men" share, the more the human mind is able to get information that can be transformed into an asset.

Take it easy my brother. No fights bro. Me. Don leave una. Just wanted to drop this piece by Sir. I trust family and the hustle dey kanpe

Make I run leave una thread before they continue with the smear campaign this new year cool

U can't leave because of anyone. Beyond TB we need one another to discuss issues bothering on investment generally,and anyone who does not like ur analysis might as well discard it and look else where.
No one is forcing anybody here. We all need investment ideas that is why we are here.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by healthserve(m): 12:18pm On Jan 05, 2020
ibechris:

U can't leave because of anyone. Beyond TB we need one another to discuss issues bothering on investment generally,and anyone who does not like ur analysis might as well discard it and look else where.
No one is forcing anybody here. We all need investment ideas that is why we are here.

Seems you didn't notice I've left here since a while ago. I only commented to calm you down. The shame that covered me in the issues I faced here that translated to my business offline is enough for me.

Make we leave these issues jare my brother.

No too vex. Social Media is toxic and I'm better off away from the pervasive S.M madness abeg
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 12:24pm On Jan 05, 2020
Nice 700k x 8 apartments

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Adiwana: 12:32pm On Jan 05, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

I will advise you buy Eurobond, FG Bond or the ongoing Lagos State bond.

Lagos State bond will pay you close to 12%.

Treasury Bills will be going down to less than 1%, if Investor continue to bid for them. The last Treasury Bill bids were oversubscribed.

Or buy a property with your N20 million provided it can get you a rent of N1.5 million per annum.

Better still reinvest the fund into the business or venture which produced the N20 million

Am either looking to add 5 million to it to purchase an 8 bedroom flat that s on the market that will give at least 1.9/annum or go for FG savings bond.If I could get 12% from Lagos state for a bond,I will do that..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Adiwana: 12:34pm On Jan 05, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
it might go to 1 percent per anum...those billions chasing tb most find a new avenue , those 10 trillion pension fund must be put somewhere ..it a must....no two ways the

Tbills is heavily saturated and rates looks unattractive.Thankfully there's a 8 flat house on distress sale which I may cash into
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:38pm On Jan 05, 2020
Adiwana:

Am either looking to add 5 million to it to purchase an 8 bedroom flat that s on the market that will give at least 1.9/annum or go for FG savings bond.If I could get 12% from Lagos state for a bond,I will do that..

8 bedroom apartment is more like a Mansion, that means you will be having just one tenant. What happens if that single tenant have difficulties in paying his rent.

The N25 million should be able to buy 3 units of 3 bedroom flat at an average of N8 million per flat.

Or you buy REIT Real Estate investment Trust
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Adiwana: 12:38pm On Jan 05, 2020
An old structure am considering buying with the money.Rent per annum is N1.9 million. House was valuated at N45 million. Actually got it as a contract to sell but may buy it outrightly for myself,collect rent for 5yrs then sell at probably 40 million cause am not planning on putting in money for any kind of facelift or renovation

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Adiwana: 12:44pm On Jan 05, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

8 bedroom apartment is more like a Mansion, that means you will be having just one tenant. What happens if that single tenant have difficulties in paying his rent.

The N25 million should be able to buy 3 units of 3 bedroom flat at an average of N8 million per flat.

Or you buy REIT Real Estate investment Trust

I mean 8 flats of 3 bedrooms.1 is actually 2 bedrooms making it 7 3-bedroom flat and 1 2 bedroom
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:46pm On Jan 05, 2020
N25 million will buy you 5,800,000 of UPDC REIT and will give you an income of N3.3 million by October 2020.

Google UPDC REIT they have investments in a number of highbrow property valued at over N30 billion and also have over N5 billion of part of the rent collected over the years invested in highly liquid assets suchTreasury Bills, money market funds, commercial papers, FG bonds, State bonds and corporate bonds
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:47pm On Jan 05, 2020
Adiwana:
An old structure am considering buying with the money.Rent per annum is N1.9 million. House was valuated at N45 million. Actually got it as a contract to sell but may buy it outrightly for myself,collect rent for 5yrs then sell at probably 40 million cause am not planning on putting in money for any kind of facelift or renovation

How many apartments do you have in the property?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 12:48pm On Jan 05, 2020
Adiwana:

Tbills is heavily saturated and rates looks unattractive.Thankfully there's a 8 flat house on distress sale which I may cash into
under study the seller well to make a kill this is capitalism..study rent in the area and mulitple the annual rent by 15 years to arrive at the amount but price for 13 years .....and put back for sale then sell without distress at your time

(1) (2) (3) ... (1026) (1027) (1028) (1029) (1030) (1031) (1032) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: okenzo22 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.