Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1481) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4435923 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1478) (1479) (1480) (1481) (1482) (1483) (1484) ... (2228) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 10:27pm On Aug 11, 2020
chigo4u:

Trump just signed an order that will make employees to accept skills as qualification for jobs instead of paper degree certificates while Nigerians are still overhyping degree certificates with obsolete curriculum. Millions of youths with certificates are jobless in Nigeria because they lack skills. The education system in Nigeria has been bastardized.

Even Google just created their own 6 months courses that they claim will be a total replacement of 4 years of school. Read more here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/07/13/google-announces-certificates-in-data-project-management-and-ux.html

If you're in any creative/ IT profession, the only benefit of school is maybe the networks of friends you get to make. Mind you? This can be made elsewhere.

Only the paper remains a real difference, and in the world where we are beginning to place less emphasis on the paper, school is no longer worth the hype.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 10:35pm On Aug 11, 2020
qmd24:

How can you value what you don't have or haven't experienced. You probably did not learn about the Bell's curve and outliers. No insult intended, but don't come here and discourage the young ones from going on to higher institutions. Education is lifelong though and formal education is just the beginning.....

He is not an outlier. There is nothing spectacular about brick and mortar education that cannot be self replicated.

My younger sister just gained admission late last year and she hasn't been able to resume. Within that time she has started learning HTML/CSS and is now moving on to JavaScript. If she does well with JS, I will tell her to defer and she can work for 4 years and maybe do a 2 years BSc top up (if need be).

By 2025, She would still have the worthless BSc but with the in demand employable skills and experience that most of her colleagues will not have. The world is fast changing, let us not make the mistakes our parents made.

Should everyone ditch school? Absolutely NO.
But is school worth half the shit it used to? It's not even worth a quarter. grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by MD45: 11:27pm On Aug 11, 2020
mnwankwo:

I see your point but in my view corruption is the cancer and misplaced value judgment is just a benign tumor. Corruption is intrinsically evil and have no consideration for the well being of his neighbor or society. Misplaced value judgment will self-correct because the consequences of it will clearly demonstrate that it is a wrong call. But corruption is self-serving and is only interested in personal gains and have no regard for the ethics or morality by which those gains were achieved. A corrupt society follows the Machiavellian principle of the "end justifies the means"

Yes, nobody wants to be a doctor, nurse, teacher, farmer etc as you mentioned because corruption made it virtually impossible for called and genuine doctors, teachers, farmers, plumbers etc to rise to the position where they can make or influence policy; policies that would have provided the enabling environment for the development of the human capital.

Yes, our politicians rush abroad for medical treatment because the can not trust their health to Nigerian hospitals and doctors. Indeed, is it not ironic that they are taken a flight from the same health infrastructures their corrupt activities created? Western doctors seem better because of the healthy and non-corrupt health infrastructure. But make no mistake, some Nigerian doctors are medical whizkids, literally performing miracles with little or no instrumentation. As I said with students in my previous post, let Nigeria provide a little enabling environment for Nigerian medics and they will fly. I lived half of my adult life in Nigeria and the other half in the West and have experienced both health systems. Remove the sophisticated diagnostic instrumentations from an average medical doctor in the West and he will be nothing more than a WebMD. Sadly, we Nigerians are mentally colonized for we always think that whatever is in the first world is better. It is not that simple.

Our education system and the actors in it are all products of corrupt policies. In the 21st centaury, Nigerian Education system is based on memory intelligence. If you can regurgitate the meaningless garbage doled to you by your teachers or outdated books, then you graduate with flying colors. Memory intelligence is just a very small aspect of overall intelligence. A modern education system should be based on critical/analytical thinking and problem solving. In Scandinavian which in my opinion have the "best" educational system (Norway, Finland, Sweden and Denmark), group work, problem solving and critical thinking are embedded in the education of a child, right from kindergarten. But in Nigeria, we burden kids with cramming the names of governors and things of a similar nature? How will recollection of the names of 36 states in Nigeria help a child detect gaps in a puzzle or question the entire concept of a given puzzle. On my return to Nigeria, I was teaching a Molecular Genetics class. When I introduced critical thinking and problem solving in students evaluation, the result was a disaster. More than 95% of the A grade students performed badly while some of the so called C and D grade students were making A grades. It is dawned on me that we are in trouble as a Nation. Hopefully, we will get our acts together or else we will become extinct. Cheers

The problem to me is not first corruption but the Nigerian people. The politicians have not been held accountable for their stewardship. They have been very smart to ensure that Nigerians don’t go hungry (or fell insecure) for that is only when Nigerians will wake up from their slumber. Hence the reason why they subsidize things here and there, collapse the educational sector and hold the people in bondage.

And this game profits foreign powers as Africa’s backwardness is the fuel that runs their economies.

All of this exploitation of the Nigerian people will stop when oil becomes worthless (less than 10 years from now). The political class are even failing at their own game as people are getting hungrier and more insecured.

Note that corruption will not stop for its as old as mankind. Just simply know your rights and demand for it at all times as you think out of the box.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:33pm On Aug 11, 2020
cheesy

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 1:24am On Aug 12, 2020
SOME SALIENT QUESTIONS
Are you afraid at the mention of retirement?
Do you spend and then plan to save/invest the leftover?
You don’t delay some gratifications?
You don’t practice a little frugality?
You don’t have any passive income?
You must always be at the office/business place before any cash enter your pocket/bank account?
When you are expecting cash or cash gets to your hand the first thing that comes to mind is to acquire a liability (enjoy)?
All you know about investment is hearsay no personal discoveries (dd)?
You don’t know what compounding interest is all about?
You don’t bother to hear/read economic information around you?
You don’t bother much about safety of your funds but attracted only by rate to an investment?
… the list goes on
If you answer yes to all or most of the above questions it means you (are):
1. need to set your priorities right
2. not investing
3. not investing enough
4. not investing properly
5. you need rigging/rejigging of your investment horizon
6. you need to start investing as a matter of urgency
7. You are taking uncalculated risk.

However, if you are reading this and interested in similar piece it also means you are already in the right path or you just discovered the right path and you will need to continue or start to follow as the case may be.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mickky22: 6:51am On Aug 12, 2020
Good morning great minds most especially my 'Ogas' in house.
May God continues to increase you in wisdom and knowledge.

Please has anyone held about Oxford gold investment. They are into land, real estate, capital...etc.

They give 30% interest.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone invested with company and what is your experience.
2. How do they meet up with present economy situation.
3. Is it advisable to invest with the company.
4. What's your personal opinion about the company and there package.

Please your contributions will help new investors like me.

Thank you in advance.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mindtricks: 7:27am On Aug 12, 2020
Sholapey:
cheesy

LMAO! grin

Pls what book were the money mistakes gotten from?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Imabong80(f): 7:34am On Aug 12, 2020
Olaide1295:

I am not experienced in this but i have been looking at some. Usually, the developers lease the land from land owners for say 30 years.
Then sell apartment to you for X years. You don't own those properties forever, and it can't be passed on to your family.
More like a declining balance investment, you cannot use the Capital to rent to calculate how good such investments are.

Thanks sir.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Imabong80(f): 7:53am On Aug 12, 2020
mickky22:
Good morning great minds most especially my 'Ogas' in house.
May God continues to increase you in wisdom and knowledge.

Please has anyone held about Oxford gold investment. They are into land, real estate, capital...etc.

They give 30% interest.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone invested with company and what is your experience.
2. How do they meet up with present economy situation.
3. Is it advisable to invest with the company.
4. What's your personal opinion about the company and there package.

Please your contributions will help new investors like me.

Thank you in advance.

Generally speaking, real estate investment has been known to achieve a modest 15% annually. Anything more than this might be suspicious.

In any case do your due diligence. Some questions to get you started:

1. How long have they been in business?

2. Any verifiable success story to boast of?

3. What's their winning strategy above competition?

4. Who are their clients/customers?

Wish you best of luck!

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Michael9989: 9:26am On Aug 12, 2020
Hello guys,
Do you think nigeria will start working with mobile money payments in such as extent as Ghana or Kenya in the future? I believe this could be the deciding factor how the growth of the Nigeria economy is going to develop. With the population Nigeria has, this could be huge.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Satoshi2019: 10:44am On Aug 12, 2020
Donbrig:
@Ositadima, I will take that as a compliment. I never attended a university, after my secondary school in Benin City, I had the opportunity to travel to Germany at a very young age, where I did my industrial training with Jungheinrich as a logistician for two years, and later went to Perugia Italy where I also did one year training with Concetti Group. Afterwards, I also had other industrial trainings in the US where I gained more experiences in industrial logistics and production. I am grateful to God I never wasted four years or more for a university degree that is often overhyped.

This one sef pass University

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 11:34am On Aug 12, 2020
Egungun be careful. grin shocked

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by IamR: 11:40am On Aug 12, 2020
Tobex4realTobex234:
I received it from GTB.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 2:17pm On Aug 12, 2020
mindtricks:

I think, beyond entertainment, critical folks see it as promoting immorality. That is bottomline.
Beyond entertainment, those above listed have one thing in common: sporting activities, with obvious benefits.

Except a spectator/viewer is a gambler, a viewing center operator or an intending participant in that particular sporting activity or is a stake holder; there is nothing he/she benefits from watching those sporting activities apart from entertainment.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Dum20: 2:48pm On Aug 12, 2020
Hello All,

Please i want to ask , now that interest rates are down to single digits and low, that is mean that mortage loans will also be low too?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mickky22: 5:54pm On Aug 12, 2020
Imabong80:

Generally speaking, real estate investment has been known to achieve a modest 15% annually. Anything more than this might be suspicious.

In any case do your due diligence. Some questions to get you started:

1. How long have they been in business?

2. Any verifiable success story to boast of?

3. What's their winning strategy above competition?

4. Who are their clients/customers?

Wish you best of luck!

Thank you sir
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tochex101(m): 6:25pm On Aug 12, 2020
Tobex4realTobex234:
Cc.....ahoboilndgas
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 7:04pm On Aug 12, 2020
This people no know say Nigeria never even recover from the last recession. Na depression we they go so. shocked

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Cyberknight: 7:08pm On Aug 12, 2020
Michael9989:
Hello guys,
Do you think nigeria will start working with mobile money payments in such as extent as Ghana or Kenya in the future? I believe this could be the deciding factor how the growth of the Nigeria economy is going to develop. With the population Nigeria has, this could be huge.

If the CBN was truly serious about the cashless society, it would embrace and promote mobile money wholeheartedly. Just spending a couple of days in Kenya or Ghana will show one how deeply this has penetrated and how transformatively useful it is. Yes, the traditional banks will lose some of their potential income from transfer fees and all that, while the telcos will smile to the - bank, but the sheer number of people brought into the "banking" economy will more than make up for that, for the economy as a whole.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ultron12345: 9:41pm On Aug 12, 2020
An experience I recently had has once again confirmed the fact that Nigerians are the sole problem of Nigeria.

I was planning to set up a factory production line. I went online and got a list of 8 companies who supply the needed equipment. Out of the 8, 7 were Chinese companies and 1 was a Nigerian company. I sent out emails to all of them.

In less than 24hrs, I had received replies from all the 7 Chinese companies. Till today (a month after), I am yet to receive a reply from the Nigerian company. I even tried to call the numbers on the Nigerian company's website, they were all either switched off, not going through, or non-existent.

I began discussions with the 7 Chinese firms. One of the Chinese firms had an office in Nigeria so they referred me to their Nigerian representative. So I gave them my requirements and specifications. In less than 48 hrs, I received quotations from the 6 china based companies. The Nigerian representative of the 7th Chinese firm told me I have to give him a week to prepare a quotation. A week passed, nothing from him. After 2 weeks, still nothing from him. I contacted him again, he apologized and said he'll send it in 3 days. A week passed again and still nothing from him. I got tired and contacted the company's head office in china. They apologized, collected my requirements and specifications and sent me a quotation in less than 24 hrs.

While discussing with the Chinese, I also noticed they were more concerned with offering better service, advising me on what kind of equipment they think will be best and most profitable, what kind of equipment suites the power situation in Nigeria, and all that. The Nigerian representative didn't even care, all he cared about was money, asking me questions like "if I send the quotation next week, when will you be making payment? "

After, we will say the government is our problem. The attitude and work-ethic of the average Nigerian is just too bad.

The company that refused to reply my emails will still be blaming Buhari for their lack of clients, not knowing that their lackadaisical attitude, laziness, inefficiency and sheer incompetence is the bigger cause. This Nigerian mentality of doing things anyhow anyhow, abandoning the tiny important details, is part of the reason why Indian, Chinese and Lebanese owned businesses tend to do better than their Nigerian counterparts in Nigeria. Ordinary to contact you, to reply your email, to answer your calls, is a now big challenge. Well, according to them, it's still Buhari's fault, not theirs.

To divert a little, this is also one of the reasons I take Nigerian businessmen complaints about power, infrastructure and other things being the cause of their problems with a pinch of salt. Yes, sometimes it is, but most of the time, the problem is mismanagement, incompetence and inefficiency. I CANNOT SEE HOW A COMPANY THAT CANNOT MANAGE A SIMPLE EMAIL ACCOUNT WILL MANAGE AN ENTIRE FACTORY EFFICIENTLY. Yes, power and infrastructure can be improved on, but Nigerians also have a habit of blowing these things out of proportion and blaming their incompetence on the government. I've said before on this thread that I run a manufacturing business, and power is not even among my biggest challenges. The biggest challenge is getting competent manpower WITH INTEGRITY. The competency part is easier, but the integrity part seems impossible, everyone is so dishonest, everyone seems to be on a mission to steal every single kobo they can lay their hands on.

Back to the main topic, the other company with a Nigerian representative will think they are at an advantage being closer to the market with a representative, not knowing that the lazy, evil and demonic Nigerian employees they call representatives are even frustrating and driving away their potential clients with their Nigerian-civil-service attitude.

Once again, there's nothing wrong with the land called Nigeria, nothing wrong with River Niger and Zuma Rock. The problem of this country, is the kind of people that inhabit it, Nigerians. Nigerians are the sole problem of Nigeria, both the Nigerians in government and the Nigerians amongst the citizenry.

50 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 9:42pm On Aug 12, 2020
You guys are too quick to condemn CBN but you forget or should be aware that CBN under Sanusi tried to make Nigeria embrace mobile banking as it is with Kenya but Nigerians just refused to embrace it because I believe we were/are already exposed to internet banking and mobile app that mobile banking had no void to fill.
Cyberknight:

If the CBN was truly serious about the cashless society, it would embrace and promote mobile money wholeheartedly. Just spending a couple of days in Kenya or Ghana will show one how deeply this has penetrated and how transformatively useful it is. Yes, the traditional banks will lose some of their potential income from transfer fees and all that, while the telcos will smile to the - bank, but the sheer number of people brought into the "banking" economy will more than make up for that, for the economy as a whole.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by abraolas1: 9:50pm On Aug 12, 2020
anyone with the link to where one can download free e-books someone shared recently should please quote me

thanks and Good evening
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:17pm On Aug 12, 2020
abraolas1:
anyone with the link to where one can download free e-books someone shared recently should please quote me

thanks and Good evening
https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0B8KHt7Ln1U7jVk9GbjY2NGFDQWs

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 10:30pm On Aug 12, 2020
Hey guys, I'm sure this is not the most palatable of conversions to have.

But in the unfortunate case of an investors demise, what sort of options exist for the family left behind to access or recoup such investments? I've heard that it's very difficult with banks and easier with physical assets.

But for portfolio investments like bonds, stocks e.t.c, how exactly will they access it? I would be glad to get answers with real life examples not just assumptions grin

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by abraolas1: 11:14pm On Aug 12, 2020

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by topsquino(m): 11:26pm On Aug 12, 2020
ultron12345:
An experience I recently had has once again confirmed the fact that Nigerians are the sole problem of Nigeria.

I was planning to set up a factory production line. I went online and got a list of 8 companies who supply the needed equipment. Out of the 8, 7 were Chinese companies and 1 was a Nigerian company. I sent out emails to all of them.

In less than 24hrs, I had received replies from all the 7 Chinese companies. Till today (a month after), I am yet to receive a reply from the Nigerian company. I even tried to call the numbers on the Nigerian company's website, they were all either switched off, not going through, or non-existent.

I began discussions with the 7 Chinese firms. One of the Chinese firms had an office in Nigeria so they referred me to their Nigerian representative. So I gave them my requirements and specifications. In less than 48 hrs, I received quotations from the 6 china based companies. The Nigerian representative of the 7th Chinese firm told me I have to give him a week to prepare a quotation. A week passed, nothing from him. After 2 weeks, still nothing from him. I contacted him again, he apologized and said he'll send it in 3 days. A week passed again and still nothing from him. I got tired and contacted the company's head office in china. They apologized, collected my requirements and specifications and sent me a quotation in less than 24 hrs.

While discussing with the Chinese, I also noticed they were more concerned with offering better service, advising me on what kind of equipment they think will be best and most profitable, what kind of equipment suites the power situation in Nigeria, and all that. The Nigerian representative didn't even care, all he cared about was money, asking me questions like "if I send the quotation next week, when will you be making payment? "

After, we will say the government is our problem. The attitude and work-ethic of the average Nigerian is just too bad.

The company that refused to reply my emails will still be blaming Buhari for their lack of clients, not knowing that their lackadaisical attitude, laziness, inefficiency and sheer incompetence is the bigger cause. This Nigerian mentality of doing things anyhow anyhow, abandoning the tiny important details, is part of the reason why Indian, Chinese and Lebanese owned businesses tend to do better than their Nigerian counterparts in Nigeria. Ordinary to contact you, to reply your email, to answer your calls, is a now big challenge. Well, according to them, it's still Buhari's fault, not theirs.

To divert a little, this is also one of the reasons I take Nigerian businessmen complaints about power, infrastructure and other things being the cause of their problems with a pinch of salt. Yes, sometimes it is, but most of the time, the problem is mismanagement, incompetence and inefficiency. I CANNOT SEE HOW A COMPANY THAT CANNOT MANAGE A SIMPLE EMAIL ACCOUNT WILL MANAGE AN ENTIRE FACTORY EFFICIENTLY. Yes, power and infrastructure can be improved on, but Nigerians also have a habit of blowing these things out of proportion and blaming their incompetence on the government. I've said before on this thread that I run a manufacturing business, and power is not even among my biggest challenges. The biggest challenge is getting competent manpower WITH INTEGRITY. The competency part is easier, but the integrity part seems impossible, everyone is so dishonest, everyone seems to be on a mission to steal every single kobo they can lay their hands on.

Back to the main topic, the other company with a Nigerian representative will think they are at an advantage being closer to the market with a representative, not knowing that the lazy, evil and demonic Nigerian employees they call representatives are even frustrating and driving away their potential clients with their Nigerian-civil-service attitude.

Once again, there's nothing wrong with the land called Nigeria, nothing wrong with River Niger and Zuma Rock. The problem of this country, is the kind of people that inhabit it, Nigerians. Nigerians are the sole problem of Nigeria, both the Nigerians in government and the Nigerians amongst the citizenry.

Well said.

I encountered a similar problem last week. People will be shouting "no jobs", but when you send them emails, they will hardly reply on time.

I still don't know why most of our professionals and small businesses don't reply their emails on time. Time is money na. Our work ethics ehn lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by einsteine(m): 11:54pm On Aug 12, 2020
ojesymsym:
You guys are too quick to condemn CBN but you forget or should be aware that CBN under Sanusi tried to make Nigeria embrace mobile banking as it is with Kenya but Nigerians just refused to embrace it because I believe we were/are already exposed to internet banking and mobile app that mobile banking had no void to fill.

Your submission is not true. CBN killed mobile money by putting it in the hands of banks rather than mobile operators. In Kenya, your airtime can be used as money. In Nigeria, the CBN specifically wrote rules banning the use of airtime as money. The CBN has been so biased in favor of the banks that they refused MTN a banking license despite MTN having by far larger network than any existing bank.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by einsteine(m): 11:59pm On Aug 12, 2020
DexterousOne:

Even the Chinese do not trust the chinese currency
So anything China is already out of the way

Dead on arrival

Like I always say....
We are heading to a point where the global reserves will he held in a more diversified way...
With the USD portion of the global reserve in percentage dropping

And EUR, GBP, JPY,CAD and maybe RMB increase in percentage

EUR is having a bump in central banks radar for keeping reserves

The Nigerian Naira would have also been in that basket if currencies, at least on the African continent, as w reserve currency, if not for the perpetual uselessness of the country and the people in it.....

NGN supposed to be a currency other central banks on the continent would hold a fraction of their reserves in.....

This Nigeria eh undecided

Replace the CAD with CHF. Why would anybody want to hold the CAD as part of a reserve? The RMB is too controlled to ever truly be a reserve currency.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Quietly(m): 12:10am On Aug 13, 2020
topsquino:

Well said.

I encountered a similar problem last week. People will be shouting "no jobs", but when you send them emails, they will hardly reply on time.

I still don't know why most of our professionals and small businesses don't reply their emails on time. Time is money na. Our work ethics ehn lipsrsealed
Boss long term
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mindtricks: 12:17am On Aug 13, 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mindtricks: 12:22am On Aug 13, 2020
einsteine:

Your submission is not true. CBN killed mobile money by putting it in the hands of banks rather than mobile operators. In Kenya, your airtime can be used as money. In Nigeria, the CBN specifically wrote rules banning the use of airtime as money. The CBN has been so biased in favor of the banks that they refused MTN a banking license despite MTN having by far larger network than any existing bank.
True.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1478) (1479) (1480) (1481) (1482) (1483) (1484) ... (2228) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.