Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,319 members, 7,815,613 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:16 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1677) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4437013 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1674) (1675) (1676) (1677) (1678) (1679) (1680) ... (2228) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Cyberknight: 7:04am On Nov 30, 2020
Sholapey:
Lol..wait until you work with any of them, they don't like blacks and they can gossip for Africa...they laugh with you but knock you off behind your back. They're pretenters ain't holy but better than some Africans.

It's the colour hierarchy thingy - Indians, Arabs and Turks, Chinese et al are more racist towards blacks than Europeans are.
Except some of those Asians in the UK, who are property owners and sometimes show solidarity with blacks when it comes to renting out houses and things like that - they've also experienced racism from oyibo, so they are sometimes more sympathetic to those also experiencing it.

But in general, they are lousy when it comes to race relations.
That said, however, I do agree with all said about their ability to get ahead in the world and it is indeed something we should be emulating.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:49am On Nov 30, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Are you sure we have 1.5 billion indians in the world, Chinese are the most populous people and I doubt if they are up 1.5 billion
Okay it is close to 1.4 billion (which is close to China’s). Not much difference.

People are making a lot of generalizations here. I know many Indians that like to party and many that are lazy because they come from wealthy backgrounds. The same way we have hardworking Nigerians and lazy/criminal Nigerians around. There is no doubt that the average Indian has a high IQ and is hardworking but the same can be said about the average Nigerian.

When you have such a huge population, a tiny percentage doing very well globally comes to millions. And this can make some people wrongly assume that they are all doing well and better than the rest of the world. No, it is the population effect and the fact that they learn to adapt due to the very harsh conditions of living and doing business in their own country. Like the average Nigerian.

Nigerians are also doing very well globally o. I can also list a number of Nigerians at the top of their game in business and other sectors globally. Just imagine if we had India’s population?

Because you meet some socially awkward Indians doesn’t mean the average Indian is socially awkward. Another generalization. Think about it, would you rise to CEO level and other executive levels if you are socially awkward and not good in networking and ‘politicking’? Never. There are many smooth talking and socially apt Indians around. Many of them.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:03am On Nov 30, 2020
For people calling Indians racist, which race genuinely likes the black race? If the black man can discriminate against his fellow black man in the name of tribalism, why should it bother us if the Indians hate us with a passion?

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 8:05am On Nov 30, 2020
Lazyyouth4u:

Okay it is close to 1.4 billion (which is close to China’s) but what difference does it make?

People are making a lot of generalizations here. I know many Indians that like to party and many that are lazy because they come from wealthy backgrounds. The same way we have hardworking Nigerians and lazy/criminal Nigerians around. There is no doubt that the average Indian has a high IQ and is hardworking but the same can be said about the average Nigerian.

When you have such a huge population, a tiny percentage doing very well globally comes to millions. And this can make some people wrongly assume that they are all doing well and better than the rest of the world. No, it is the population effect and the fact that they learn to adapt due to the harsh conditions of living and doing business in their own country. Like the average Nigerian.

Nigerians are also doing very well globally o. I can also list a number of Nigerians at the top of their game in business and other sectors globally. Just imagine if we had India’s population?

Head to head
They beat us hands down
I'm surprised we are making this comparison

They have Bangalore
We have a joke we call computer village
They have legacy businesses scattered every where
Can we beat our chest and say the same about ourselves?
What of the banks ?

Indians have led fortune 500 companies
Google
Pepsi
Let me not even name more
If not this post will be very long

Tell me just FIVE Fortune 500 companies led by a Nigerian or any of their descendants in the west
I'll wait cheesy

Can we compare their IIMs and IITs to any of out decrepit schools in Nigeria?
In the medical field
They have been able to develop themselves to a point where people from other countries go there for medical tourism (even Nigerians)
Who comes to Nigeria for medical tourism?

Forget story o
Nigerians try
But indians are ahead
Whether we accept it or not
It's the truth

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 8:07am On Nov 30, 2020
Lazyyouth4u:
For people calling Indians racist, which tribe is not racist to the black man? If the black man can discriminate against a fellow black man in the name of tribalism, why should it bother us that the Indian man hates us with a passion?

Anyone that lives abroad and thinks oyibo man likes them because those one dey shine teeth and smile with them is sitting on a very long thing. Na the oyibos gaan gaan be the real racists towards the black man!

Well, black men needs to get it in their skulls
That it's not compulsory for anyone to like you
If they dont like you
That's their headache
Black man dey always seek love from others eh cheesy
While at the same time very tribalist to each other

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 8:11am On Nov 30, 2020
Lazyyouth4u:

Okay it is close to 1.4 billion (which is close to China’s) but what difference does it make?

When you have such a huge population, a tiny percentage doing very well globally comes to millions. And this can make some people wrongly assume that they are all doing well and better than the rest of the world. No, it is the population effect and the fact that they learn to adapt due to the harsh conditions of living and doing business in their own country. Like the average Nigerian.

This is the same argument that say a South African or a Ghanaian may want to have about Nigerians
That we try because we are many while they are not as much undecided
Will that argument be valid?
The answer is NO
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:34am On Nov 30, 2020
DexterousOne:

Head to head
They beat us hands down
I'm surprised we are making this comparison

They have Bangalore
We have a joke we call computer village
They have legacy businesses scattered every where
Can we beat our chest and say the same about ourselves?
What of the banks ?

Indians have led fortune 500 companies
Google
Pepsi
Let me not even name more
If not this post will be very long

Tell me just FIVE Fortune 500 companies led by a Nigerian or any of their descendants in the west
I'll wait cheesy

Can we compare their IIMs and IITs to any of out decrepit schools in Nigeria?
In the medical field
They have been able to develop themselves to a point where people from other countries go there for medical tourism (even Nigerians)
Who comes to Nigeria for medical tourism?

Forget story o
Nigerians try
But indians are ahead
Whether we accept it or not
It's the truth
I can tell you about 5 Nigerians at the top of their game in finance/investments. Fortune 500, we are slowly getting there. Give us a few more years smiley

Bayo Ogunlesi (Credit Suisse/ CEO Global Infra Partners)
Jide Zeitlin (Goldman Sachs/Tapestry)
China Onyemelukwe (former MD at Goldman Sachs)
Tope Lawani (Helios founder)
Tunde Soyoye (Helios founder)

Bayo is such a big fish that even Indians go tremble when you call his name grin. Fun fact: Burna boy sang his praise in ‘Wonderful’. Yes he is the Adebayo Ogunlesi that Burna was singing about cool

Note that Tapestry is a Fortune 500 company and Jide was Chairman/CEO. He was also one of the few black partners and top executives at Goldman Sachs.

Biden just nominated a 39 year old Nigerian, Adewale Adeyemo, to be deputy Treasury secretary.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 9:14am On Nov 30, 2020
Nigerians are equally blazing the trail. Heads of World bank, incoming WTO, a Nigerian was just announced as US deputy treasurer. Nigerians with inferiority complex are the ones to say others are better or praise the white man. India gained independence before Nigeria, where has their ingenuity taking them? It’s still a poor, undeveloped nation and I think has the highest case of rape in the world.
That some Indians are blazing the trail in IT where I accept they have comparative advantage over us does not mean they are better than us. An IT company developed by Nigerians in Nigeria was recently acquired for $200m.
Yes Nigeria has a large unproductive and poorly educated population but we also have the best just like India. If you ever see how these Indians or Chinese treat their Nigerian workers you won’t be here praising them, perhaps why most establishments use them, because it’s money before workers for them

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 11:17am On Nov 30, 2020
Comeandcollect:
This is why
1. Their catch phrase is dominance, they go to any country to dominate and rule. They rent a property from you as a single man but go back to the property in six months time, you will see four of their generations there i.e grand father, father, wife and children.
2. They have a young population that are IT enthusiasts.
3. They are open to relocating to any country even if you offer them peanuts as salary so long as it's better than Indian minimum wage, they know they are going there to build generational wealth not live on salary.
4. They learn tricks of your country coupled with their tricks which makes them look like genius.
5. Their honesty is 5 out of 10.

Once they relocate to another country and they start receiving salary, they take a loan from a bank in India and open a business back in India. Every month end, once paid, they transfer some of the money to repay the loan while the business is getting its feet. Over time, the loan is repaid.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:19am On Nov 30, 2020
DexterousOne:

Its the general story of many Nigerians who moved abroad
There is an indian/American guy called JASPREET Singh
In one of his sessions, he spelt out the formula that first generation Indian parents use in order to set up their descendants on a better footing to compete properly in the west

I learnt a WHOLE LOT
And I still learn from them....
Though I dont like it when they tell me to my face that my people are lazy, but I can't give a rebuttal because indeed the vast majority of my people are very lazy (mental laziness too)

You don't know jack shit about Indians.

Like I've always said you're an internet info grabber with little real life experiences.

I won't debate it because i no one disturb my head with internet statistics grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 11:19am On Nov 30, 2020
Using this arrangement, will they have someone else run it for them?
What happens after paying, will they go back to run the business?
NL1960:

Once they relocate to another country and they start receiving salary, they take a loan from a bank in India and open a business back in India. Every month end, once paid, they transfer some of the money to repay the loan while the business is getting its feet. Over time, the loan is repaid.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:21am On Nov 30, 2020
chigo4u:
Nigerians are equally blazing the trail. Heads of World bank, incoming WTO, a Nigerian was just announced as US deputy treasurer. Nigerians with inferiority complex are the ones to say others are better or praise the white man. India gained independence before Nigeria, where has their ingenuity taking them? It’s still a poor, undeveloped nation and I think has the highest case of rape in the world.
That some Indians are blazing the trail in IT where I accept they have comparative advantage over us does not mean they are better than us. An IT company developed by Nigerians in Nigeria was recently acquired for $200m.
Yes Nigeria has a large unproductive and poorly educated population but we also have the best just like India. If you ever see how these Indians or Chinese treat their Nigerian workers you won’t be here praising them, perhaps why most establishments use them, because it’s money before workers for them

Sanity!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:28am On Nov 30, 2020
Lazyyouth4u:

I can tell you about 5 Nigerians at the top of their game in finance/investments. Fortune 500, we are slowly getting there. Give us a few more years smiley

Bayo Ogunlesi (Credit Suisse/ CEO Global Infra Partners)
Jide Zeitlin (Goldman Sachs/Tapestry)
China Onyemelukwe (former MD at Goldman Sachs)
Tope Lawani (Helios founder)
Tunde Soyoye (Helios founder)

Bayo is such a big fish that even Indians go tremble when you call his name grin. Fun fact: Burna boy sang his praise in ‘Wonderful’. Yes he is the Adebayo Ogunlesi that Burna was singing about cool

Note that Tapestry is a Fortune 500 company and Jide was Chairman/CEO. He was also one of the few black partners and top executives at Goldman Sachs.

Nigeria will be better off lifting more people out of poverty than creating a few new billionaire's or success stories in the west.

Just a thought.

10 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:56am On Nov 30, 2020
jajeri3216:

Nigeria will be better off lifting more people out of poverty than creating a few new billionaire's or success stories in the west.

Just a thought.
And this comment of yours has got exactly what to do with the topic of discussion??
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:04pm On Nov 30, 2020
Lazyyouth4u:

And this comment of yours has got exactly what to do with the topic of discussion??

What's the topic?

Nigeria vs India success stories cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 30, 2020
jajeri3216:

What's the topic?

Nigeria vs India success stories cheesy

So what has it got to do with poverty alleviation? Those are Nigerians at the top of their game. Not necessarily billionaires. And they are not politicians. Don’t you want to be at the top of your game in whatever it is you are doing over there? Na wa for you o.

You should be discussing how to lift Nigerians out of poverty with your politicians. Not with people that make something of their lives abroad against all odds. It’s not their fault that the government back home is clueless and corrupt.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:13pm On Nov 30, 2020
Lazyyouth4u:

So what has it got to do with poverty eradication? Those are Nigerians at the top of their game. Not necessarily billionaires. And they are not politicians. Don’t you want to be at the top of your game in whatever it is you are doing over there? Na wa for you o.

I'm pointing out the deficiencies in the way Nigerians think .

I'm avoiding any blown out arguments so na to dey hint.

But the comment wasn't against what you said though.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 12:23pm On Nov 30, 2020
ojesymsym:
Using this arrangement, will they have someone else run it for them?
What happens after paying, will they go back to run the business?

Somebody runs it for them back in their country. The workers are mostly trustworthy.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 12:57pm On Nov 30, 2020
Many of our brothers in diaspora have also tried this model but some folks back home see it as their own piece of the national cake and mostly mismanage the business. Even then, Indians are not particularly known to be honest so how do they achieve all these?
NL1960:

Somebody runs it for them back in their country. The workers are mostly trustworthy.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 1:06pm On Nov 30, 2020
ojesymsym:
Many of our brothers in diaspora have also tried this model but the folks back home see it as their own piece of the national cake and mostly mismanage the business. Even then, Indians are not particularly known to be honest so how do they achieve all these?

Back in their place, they are trustworthy.

The issue in Nigeria is lack of trustworthy people to manage such. You setup business and give it to somebody to manage, the person kills it by embezzling all the money.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 2:20pm On Nov 30, 2020
jajeri3216:

You don't know jack shit about Indians.

Like I've always said you're an internet info grabber with little real life experiences.

I won't debate it because i no one disturb my head with internet statistics grin
Okay
I have heard you
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 4:11pm On Nov 30, 2020
NL1960:

That's what a good number of Nigerians want to do but are held back by two things
1. Our currency is too volatile... You may end up paying double of what you borrowed. The exchange rate does not matter much, it just needs to be stable.

2. Finding dependable folks back home to help with the biz. People in Nigeria believe those abroad pluck money from trees and are ever happy to make the person their palliative

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 4:15pm On Nov 30, 2020
Bitcoi breaks all time high...

For sometime now, it has been the best performing asset. It's likely to continue that way for sometime as adoption increases.

BTW, I'm not asking anyone to buy now before you get dumped on
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 4:16pm On Nov 30, 2020
[
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Manwarrior55: 4:25pm On Nov 30, 2020
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 4:35pm On Nov 30, 2020
jedisco:

That's what a good number of Nigerians want to do but are held back by two things
1. Our currency is too volatile... You may end up paying double of what you borrowed. The exchange rate does not matter much, it just needs to be stable.

2. Finding dependable folks back home to help with the biz. People in Nigeria believe those abroad pluck money from trees and are ever happy to make the person their palliative

Such Indians borrow from banks in India and not from the banks in their country of relocation. They repay the loan in local currency and so not affected by exchange rate.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 4:37pm On Nov 30, 2020
Manwarrior55:

People that bought in March are over 300% profit already.

The new trend now is people don’t really trust fiat anymore, the profit takers would rather buy stock or buy a more stable crypto like XRP with their profit from bitcoins.

It's on its way to become a store of value one can trade anywhere in the world. With more adoption, the price will appreciate.

What's driving this run is more of institutions buying up volumes in millions of dollars and some have almost half a billion in it.
Everyday folks will come to play after it settles above 20k and goes ballistic.

BTW, XRP ain't stable though... It makes abnormal moves on rare occasions and dumps in between. It's one of the least performing of the majors over time.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 4:51pm On Nov 30, 2020
NL1960:

Such Indians borrow from banks in India and not from the banks in their country of relocation. They repay the loan in local currency and so not affected by exchange rate.

Not necessarily. It'd be difficult getting a loan in a if you're not a resident of a country or have good assets there.
One of the advantages developed nations have is ease of availability of cheap credit.

Once you have a steady income source and good credit history, you can get good sums from a bank at relatively cheap rates. Even better if you're a business with a sensible outlook.

Lacking a profile of our citizens in Nigeria has largely prevented banks from doing same. With BVN, it helped banks give soft loans at cheaper rates.
Now imagine if everyone had a credit history with a given number that is added to or reduced over time based on alot of everyday activities. In that case, you could get a 5-10 million Naira loan payable at 3% over 5 years from the comfort of your home. That money will be put back into the economy to make it grow. CBN is trying to force banks, but tge underlying platform is lacking

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Manwarrior55: 5:51pm On Nov 30, 2020
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Manwarrior55: 5:53pm On Nov 30, 2020
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Leezah(f): 7:16pm On Nov 30, 2020
Cyberknight:

It's the colour hierarchy thingy - Indians, Arabs and Turks, Chinese et al are more racist towards blacks than Europeans are.
Except some of those Asians in the UK, who are property owners and sometimes show solidarity with blacks when it comes to renting out houses and things like that - they've also experienced racism from oyibo, so they are sometimes more sympathetic to those also experiencing it.

But in general, they are lousy when it comes to race relations.
That said, however, I do agree with all said about their ability to get ahead in the world and it is indeed something we should be emulating.
Oga! we have the lazy, party freaks, and hard-working Indians. They are here in Nigeria. I think 8yrs back a or so, there is place like Ajegunle in Ota mostly Indians.

The are good manager no doubt, but once you wok with them, damn, the day you change your top, you have been stealing from them. While other are like Nigerian corrupt and ready to go with the flow, some are chronic womanizer.

What am trying to say is they have the hard working ones, lazy, party freaks and womaniser among them here in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Leezah(f): 7:25pm On Nov 30, 2020
NL1960:

Lol! Indians back home trustworthy, he gives it to his relationship or brother-in-law to run

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1674) (1675) (1676) (1677) (1678) (1679) (1680) ... (2228) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.