Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,373 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (180) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4448306 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) ... (2230) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Daddi: 5:21pm On Jul 27, 2016
Omonigeriarere:

Instead of having one consolidated investment, split your bidding into two in different banks: one for high rate based on risk while the other enjoys assurance. I think you can never missed both if you know how to play your game.

My opinion though.
thanks buddy
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 6:09pm On Jul 27, 2016
puna:
house why are banks always against you buying tbills.
was at first bank to to liquidate my fixed deposit so as to be able to place bid for next week but they kept doing their best to persuade me..even telling me that tbills are now unstable
and their rate for fixed deposit at 182days is 6.6%

Simple, they buy your money at 6% (FD), sell it at 15% (TB), you really wanna compete with your bank? now that's conflict of interest.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 6:14pm On Jul 27, 2016
Omonigeriarere:

Instead of having one consolidated investment, split your bidding into two in different banks: one for high rate based on risk while the other enjoys assurance. I think you can never missed both if you know how to play your game.

My opinion though.

Waste of time, most of the Big banks do insider trading hence they always know the bid stop rate, my advise is; go with the bid of any financial house affiliated to the big three banks and you will arrive at the stop rate, remember that the banks themselves buy TB at every auction, do you expect a big Financial house to lose money? hell no!!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by whyniel: 6:28pm On Jul 27, 2016
puna:
house why are banks always against you buying tbills.
was at first bank to to liquidate my fixed deposit so as to be able to place bid for next week but they kept doing their best to persuade me..even telling me that tbills are now unstable
and their rate for fixed deposit at 182days is 6.6%
jpphilips:

Simple, they buy your money at 6% (FD), sell it at 15% (TB), you really wanna compete with your bank? now that's conflict of interest.

This seems to be a norm practice with FBN. I fell into this act last year. I was advised to do FD then @ 10%

I'll advise you visit a different branch to make your TB application or transfer your money to another bank' account other than FBN and make your TB application.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 8:05pm On Jul 27, 2016
Hi guyz
Are there any issues with getting back our principal. Was discussing with a lady who said she won't advice any one to do TB bcoz they dont payback on time.

Is this true @feelamong and others who have done dis before pls advice.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Agbaletu: 9:03pm On Jul 27, 2016
zamirikpo:
Hi guyz
Are there any issues with getting back our principal. Was discussing with a lady who said she won't advice any one to do TB bcoz they dont payback on time.

It is a lie. You get your principal immediately.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 9:51pm On Jul 27, 2016
@agbaletu thank u

I just tire ooh, y will they delay someone's principal @maturity, some people can mislead ooh.

Thanks again jare
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Desanta(m): 10:37pm On Jul 27, 2016
zamirikpo:
Hi guyz

That's a lie.
There are no issues. You get your money immediately.
l have terminated 2 of my NTB this year and I got my money immediately.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Houstency(m): 11:34pm On Jul 27, 2016
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ganilat4: 7:34am On Jul 28, 2016
@Desanta,how do I terminate my NTB and what percentage do the Bank deduct.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Desanta(m): 11:11am On Jul 28, 2016
ganilat4:
@Desanta,how do I terminate my NTB and what percentage do the Bank deduct.

Write a letter to your bank telling them you want to terminate your NTB.

I usually terminate at maturity instead of rolling over, so I don't get penalized.

The percentage is not fixed. It depends on the rate you bought it and how long you have held it. The bank will do the calculations and let you know before they ho ahead to terminate.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 11:27am On Jul 28, 2016
Desanta:

Write a letter to your bank telling them you want to terminate your NTB.

I usually terminate at maturity instead if rolling over, so I don't get penalized.

The percentage is not fixed. It depends on the rate you bought it and how long you have held it. The bank will do the calculations and let you know before they ho ahead to terminate.

haha

when you terminate at Maturity did you terminate?

anyway Your bankers can decide to discount the Tbills when you want to liquidate earlier than maturity..

all they do is to use a discount rate which is usually lower than the amount you bought it.

like i said before most banks would not do that for retail client like us..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 11:44am On Jul 28, 2016
Royal155:
I don't know why some people are afraid of this 365days tenure T.bills. This tenure remains the best in t.bill, as far as you have some idle funds that you won't be needing urgently. For someone who is afraid to invest in t.bill for 1yr, I wonder if that kind of person can ever have the nerve to invest in bonds and shares.

Nigeria is broke, your economy is in recession meaning trade can no longer be balanced, foreign investors have fled leaving the Govt with only local lenders like you, if you do a risk matrix of the likelihood of the FG to default, it is close to the cone, 1.5-2% is not worth the risk of a default. people who are avoiding 1yr tenure bills are not gutless they are being careful while calculating their risks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 11:48am On Jul 28, 2016
zamirikpo:
@agbaletu thank u

I just tire ooh, y will they delay someone's principal @maturity, some people can mislead ooh.

Thanks again jare

It is called "default", we are yet to experience it in Nigeria but it is common with economies in recession.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by battleaxe: 12:16pm On Jul 28, 2016
Is anyone facing delays in receiving their Bond coupons that fell due last week??
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 12:31pm On Jul 28, 2016
battleaxe:
Is anyone facing delays in receiving their Bond coupons that fell due last week??

You mean the 16.39% 27-JAN-2022 FGN Bond?

wait till the close of business today...

at times these bankers could be funny
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by battleaxe: 12:35pm On Jul 28, 2016
No, the 12.5% 22-JAN 2026
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 12:39pm On Jul 28, 2016
battleaxe:
No, the 12.5% 22-JAN 2026

I think you need to speak to your bankers urgently...

The coupon on this one has been paid since na
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by battleaxe: 12:56pm On Jul 28, 2016
When did you receive credit for yours if I may ask?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jul 28, 2016
jpphilips:

Nigeria is broke, your economy is in recession meaning trade can no longer be balanced, foreign investors have fled leaving the Govt with only local lenders like you, if you do a risk matrix of the likelihood of the FG to default, it is close to the cone, 1.5-2% is not worth the risk of a default. people who are avoiding 1yr tenure bills are not gutless they are being careful while calculating their risks.
Nigeria is broke, the economy is sliding into recession, and yet there are people who are making big money both in shares and other investment vehicles. This is the kind of mentality that hold some of us back from achieving anything meaningful in terms of business or investment decision(fear of the unknown).

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by just2endowed: 5:04pm On Jul 28, 2016
hello guys,

Gtb is telling me the minimum i can invest in TB is 500k. Guys is it the norm for TB application in GTB?

and do GTB allow someone bidding by him or herself?

and lastly, Now that the CBN had increased the MPR from 12% to 14%, does it have effect on TB rate in next auction?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 5:37pm On Jul 28, 2016
In addition to the questions from just2endowed,

Pls what rates should we be looking to bid, for 91 and 182days NTB.

Cos rates have gone up.. .@desanta, feelamong and Co. .pls help us out
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Omotolani513(f): 10:59am On Jul 29, 2016
hi guys, Pls help.....
this is the rate I got from first Bank today... they said its from d last bidding...what do u think guys... am a novice...this is my first time...
91 days -14.14%
182 days - 15.48%
364 days - 16.48%
Pls what's Gtbank rating?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by battleaxe: 12:41pm On Jul 29, 2016
@feelamong
What does your bank give you as evidence of purchasing bonds? I know for TB you get a certificate or something. Is it same for bonds??
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 12:53pm On Jul 29, 2016
battleaxe:
@feelamong
What does your bank give you as evidence of purchasing bonds? I know for TB you get a certificate or something. Is it same for bonds??

You also get a certificate/Investment letter
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Houstency(m): 5:08pm On Jul 29, 2016
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Adesiji77: 5:29pm On Jul 29, 2016
Houstency:

@Feelamong and other gurus in the house, I did not get certificate /investment letter from first Bank when I did NTB with them, and it's over 2months now. Is it normal or what line of actions do you suggest to correct the anomaly. Thanks in anticipation

Have you asked? Banks tend to be a bit laid back on the issuance of investment letters on TBs.

Engage the Customer Service Officers in the branch or your Account Officer. You may request to see branch's Head of Operations if your interaction with them does not produce the required result.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Epphy(m): 7:23pm On Jul 29, 2016
Hello house. Please who has an idea about doing TB with Zenith and Fidelity banks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 8:36pm On Jul 29, 2016
I also didn't get but am not bothered, I got an email and SMS alert on d deductions.

But to be on d safe side, u should ask ur account officer.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by IHelp: 8:44pm On Jul 29, 2016
just2endowed:
hello guys,

Gtb is telling me the minimum i can invest in TB is 500k. Guys is it the norm for TB application in GTB?

and do GTB allow someone bidding by him or herself?

and lastly, Now that the CBN had increased the MPR from 12% to 14%, does it have effect on TB rate in next auction?

The 500k is for Gtb secondary market. You can invest less than that amount from the primary market.

On default, Gtb do not allow you to choose your bid. Unless you are a "BIG FISH".

Yes
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Willie2015: 8:58pm On Jul 29, 2016
Houstency:

@Feelamong and other gurus in the house, I did not get certificate /investment letter from first Bank when I did NTB with them, and it's over 2months now. Is it normal or what line of actions do you suggest to correct the anomaly. Thanks in anticipation

Pls ask, they will give you evidence of your investment.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Agbaletu: 9:32pm On Jul 29, 2016
Epphy:
Hello house. Please who has an idea about doing TB with Zenith and Fidelity banks
I did the last one with Zenith Bank. What do you want to know?

(1) (2) (3) ... (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) ... (2230) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Viqtour(m), jidejado(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.