Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,154 members, 7,818,492 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1880) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4442741 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1877) (1878) (1879) (1880) (1881) (1882) (1883) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Leezah(f): 9:35am On Apr 24, 2021
careerwoman:
Hi
An old follower here. Have been in and out of Tbills for a while.
I recently downloaded Bamboo app to attempt investing in foreign stocks.

Does anyone know how it work and if it’s a reliable venture.
Congratulations! You can also download Trove, check my signature we both get free shares of either Dangote Sugar or GTbank

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Myhelper1: 9:04pm On Apr 24, 2021
The Naija Mindset

I recall when I came to London in 2009. My dad was at Heathrow Airport to welcome me. He bought an Oyster card for me. The card is your ticket to ride on all London buses and trains. You can buy a weekly, monthly, daily or ‘Pay As You Go’ pass.

The Oyster card opens the barriers before you board the train or exit the train station. So, as my dad used his ticket, the barriers opened, he went through and just before it would close, I quickly followed him behind and passed through.

I don’t know why I did that. But my first guess would be, it was the Naija sharp guy thinking that made me pass quickly without paying. My dad was terribly upset and asked me to return and pay.

A few months later, I got on a bus and with the same mindset of a ‘sharp guy’, I didn’t pay. Normally, there are no ticket inspectors on the bus or trains. They come occasionally, but you cannot tell when. So, on this fateful day, they came, checked, and noticed I did not use my card. Instantly I was fined £20 on a journey that would have cost me only £1.30 had I used my Oyster card. A big lesson I learnt. Since then, I have never entered the public transport without paying the appropriate fare.

Later when I settled and got my apartment, I went with my dad to buy a second-hand television at a charity shop. We bought it for £25. Within one week, I got a letter from TV Licensing that I was to pay £145 each year for watching a TV. My Naija Mindset kicked in again. I said to myself, “TV that I bought for £25 I will now spend £145 to watch?” “for What? As in Why?” I continued to murmur. Then I heard stories about people who often refuse to open their doors to the TV licensing officials who come to check if you own a TV (again, they don’t tell you they are coming, they just appear).

Since I refused to pay the money. I also made up my mind not to be opening my door to strangers. One Saturday morning, I heard a knock on the door. I peeped and couldn’t tell who the person was, so I didn’t open the door. The person left a letter for me through the letterbox. I opened it and saw that it was from the TV Licensing. These were the exact words in the letter, “IT IS NOT IF WE CATCH YOU, IT IS WHEN WE CATCH YOU” and the letter ended with, “YOU WILL BE FINED UP TO A MAXIMUM OF £1,000.”

I paid the £145 immediately. I paid because I was tired of playing hide-and-seek. I paid because I couldn’t afford a £1,000 fine. Since then, I have paid my TV Licensing fee every year for 12 years now and the charge is now £159/year.

In 2014, while on my way to church, I parked at a bus stop. A week later, a penalty notice was sent to my address with a photo of my car on the bus lane. They also included a link for me to watch the video evidence. I was fined £140. I challenged their decision and explained that the back door of the car was not shut so I stopped to check. That I did not want to endanger other road users. I asked them to watch the clip again to see how I stopped, came down, and checked the back door before driving off. After their investigations, they accepted my explanation and cancelled the fine.

You see how an effective system has helped to change my mindset?

Let me share other examples of effective systems in the UK:

(1) The police can use your car’s plate number to retrieve the name of the owner, the registered address and can check whether the car is road worthy or insured.

(2) Financial institutions can use your name, date of birth and address to check whether you are credit worthy. They have a database for people’s credit history.

(3) Education (state-funded) is free from nursery up to secondary school for every child in the UK whether they are citizens or not. Healthcare is also free.

(4) When you reach 40 years, your doctor sends you a letter that you are due for a FREE full medical check-up.

(5) Nobody is above the law. Politicians pay parking fines. The police too get parking tickets.

(6) A lecturer marks your script and gives you feedback on what you did wrong and what you ought to have done. If you are unhappy with your grade, your work is given to another lecturer to mark and this second marker’s score will be used to decide your score.

These and many more, are examples of how systems help governments and organisations to function effectively.

Sadly, the Naija Mindset we have is that of cutting corners, refusing to be accountable, breaking the law, rewarding criminals, showing off, it’s our turn now, it’s my person, and who we know, etc. No wonder when two Nigerians get into an argument, you hear them say, “Do You Know Who I Am?” and “I Will Deal with You”.

We are agitating for the restructuring of Nigeria. But while we are at it, let us restructure our mindsets too.

Copied!!!

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by highcurrent: 9:52pm On Apr 24, 2021
Myhelper1:
The Naija Mindset

We are agitating for the restructuring of Nigeria. But while we are at it, let us restructure our mindsets too.

Copied!!!
The mind is the greatest asset, system, tool, weapon etc. It need to be dirt free and sane.

There is no problem with the country Nigeria, there is only problem with the people Nigerians.

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Myhelper1: 11:36pm On Apr 24, 2021
THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST SET OF ADVISE l HAVE EVER READ. ALL MANKIND NEEDS THIS ADVICE!!!

1. Take risks in your life. If you win, you can lead; if you lose, you can guide.

2. People are not what they say but what they do; so judge them not from their words but from their actions.

3. When someone hurts you, don't feel bad because it's a law of nature that the tree that bears the sweetest fruits gets maximum number of stones.

4. Take whatever you can from your life because when life starts taking from you, it takes even your last breath.

5. In this world, people will always throw stones on the path of your success. It depends on what you make from them - a wall or a bridge.

6. Challenges make life interesting; overcoming them make life meaningful.

7. There is no joy in victory without running the risk of defeat.

8. A path without obstacles leads nowhere.

9. Past is a nice place to visit but certainly not a good place to stay.

10. You can't have a better tomorrow if you are thinking about yesterday all the time.

11. If what you did yesterday still looks big to you, then you haven't done much today.

12. If you don't build your dreams, someone else will hire you to build theirs.

13. If you don't climb the mountain; you can't view the plain.

14. Don't leave it idle - use your brain.

15. You are not paid for having brain, you are only rewarded for using it intelligently.

16. It is not what you don't have that limits you; it is what you have but don't know how to use.

17. What you fail to learn might teach you a lesson.

18. The difference between a corrupt person and an honest person is: The corrupt person has a price while the honest person has a value.

19. If you succeed in cheating someone, don't think that the person is a fool...... Realize that the person trusted you much more than you deserved.

20. Honesty is an expensive gift; don't expect it from cheap people.

This is very interesting post and I want everyone to benefit.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:02am On Apr 25, 2021
The problem with Nigeria is hypocrisy. We will tell lies, cheat and steal from our fellow human beings, support criminals, insult and abuse people and then go to church and mosque to pray. We will even do dry fasting during Lent and Ramadan and then start writing motivational quotes all over the place.

How won’t God continue to punish us? We are the most hopeless sets of human beings on this planet!

17 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:44am On Apr 25, 2021
Food for thought. Happy Sunday

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 8:44am On Apr 25, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:
The problem with Nigeria is hypocrisy. We will tell lies, cheat and steal from our fellow human beings, support criminals, insult and abuse people and then go to church and mosque to pray. We will even do dry fasting during Lent and Ramadan and then start writing motivational quotes all over the place.

How won’t God continue to punish us? We are the most hopeless sets of human beings on this planet!

grin i dont agree with the bolded sha. We get hope pass Venezuela

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 8:47am On Apr 25, 2021
emmanuelewumi:
Food for thought. Happy Sunday

I've seen this happen up close. A colleague won N8.3m from bet 9ja. The guy carry N5.5m go buy tear rubber car. I nearly had a heart attack

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:51am On Apr 25, 2021
afroxyz:

I've seen this happen up close. A colleague won N8.3m from bet 9ja. The guy carry N5.5m go buy tear rubber car. I nearly had a heart attack

He tried, he didn't bet with the windfall

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 9:44am On Apr 25, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

He will likely sell the car later to bet. Trust me.

11 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by hustla(m): 10:34am On Apr 25, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

100% Facts grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Donbrig: 10:40am On Apr 25, 2021
You are 99.8% correct, we are the biggest hypocrites on earth, fake and useless leaders, clergy men, Imams, and citizens everywhere, preaching what they don't practice. We might not be the most hopeless, but certainly one of the most hopeless and useless human beings on earth.

Like Sholapey wrote above, our mindset is horribly terrible. Not until we start saying things the way they are and find urgent and realistic solutions to our problems, we are doomed.

If you truly want to know how useless, hopeless and criminally minded Nigerians are, just open a small business and employ Nigerians to work for you.

Everybody goes to Church and Mosque to pray every Fridays and Sundays, yet, evils and atrocities in an unimaginable proportion is the order of the day.

There are still some good and honest Nigerians, though very very few, but their voice had been consumed by the evil ones.

Lazyyouth4u:

10 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by libartay(f): 11:37am On Apr 25, 2021
afroxyz:

grin i dont agree with the bolded sha. We get hope pass Venezuela

True we're not the most hopeless set of humans but how are we different from the Venezuelans when we're towing same path their govt did with financial recklessness? Channelling our QE to servicing current spending instead of using same to stimulate targeted sectors of the economy as is done by developed economies? How won't same fate befall us as did Venezuela?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SeaTrade(m): 3:50pm On Apr 25, 2021
afroxyz:

5.5m naira can't buy you a new car bros,
Take am eazy kiss
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bjtinz: 3:52pm On Apr 25, 2021
afroxyz:

Lol. But not really surprising. I read somewhere that anywhere from half to two-thirds of all lottery winners don't do anything useful with the money and infact a majority end up worse off

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AngelicBeing: 3:55pm On Apr 25, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 4:25pm On Apr 25, 2021
On point & seconded. Very sad and critical situation. sad
Lazyyouth4u:

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 10:37pm On Apr 25, 2021
SeaTrade:
Take am eazy kiss
Who told it happened in recent time? Investigative journalist undecided

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:36pm On Apr 25, 2021
SeaTrade:
Take am eazy kiss
Some years back it can buy you Kia brand

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Silverpurple: 2:39am On Apr 26, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

I have seen a similar thing happen. The money went mostly into betting, enjoyment, and renting automobile....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Zobah: 12:36pm On Apr 26, 2021
BREAKING: JP Morgan is preparing to offer their private clients an actively traded bitcoin fund.

They all eventually capitulate. Bitcoin is inevitable.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:20pm On Apr 26, 2021
Investment Banking firms on Walls Street have done crazy things in the past and will continue to do crazy things.

They package risky derivatives, excess leverage to traders, little risk or no risk management when the times are good.

At the end of the day government will bail them out, but their customers will be left in the cols

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Imabong80(f): 1:30pm On Apr 26, 2021
Please who has information on secondary rates for T-bills from any of the banks.

Kindly share

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by silvoice(m): 2:12pm On Apr 26, 2021
which bank can I buy tbill for the coming auction, my first bank branch here in PH say they're not attending to individual tbill investors. is it same for all first bank? I need even if it is secondary rate .
thanks for your response
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 3:07pm On Apr 26, 2021
emmanuelewumi:
Investment Banking firms on Walls Street have done crazy things in the past and will continue to do crazy things.

They package risky derivatives, excess leverage to traders, little risk or no risk management when the times are good.

At the end of the day government will bail them out, but their customers will be left in the cols

Nobody told him not to exit when he had already made $10bn from credit swaps instead he was increasing his bets
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:14pm On Apr 26, 2021
afroxyz:

Nobody told him not to exit when he had already made $10bn from credit swaps instead he was increasing his bets

The bet were financed by the Investment Bankers
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 3:24pm On Apr 26, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

The bet were financed by the Investment Bankers
what they lost is Chicken change to what Bill Hwang lost. Goldman and JP Morgan did not lose because they were the first to close their position by selling the stocks which he deposited as collateral. Morgan Stanley lost about $300m. The ones who got blown were credit suisse and Nomura. Yes risk managment was poor given his reputation, but if he had closed his leveraged bets after amassimg $10bn, we would be calling him a genius. Just a bad day at the office
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by janga02(m): 4:18pm On Apr 26, 2021
Myhelper1:
The Naija Mindset

I recall when I came to London in 2009. My dad was at Heathrow Airport to welcome me. He bought an Oyster card for me. The card is your ticket to ride on all London buses and trains. You can buy a weekly, monthly, daily or ‘Pay As You Go’ pass.

The Oyster card opens the barriers before you board the train or exit the train station. So, as my dad used his ticket, the barriers opened, he went through and just before it would close, I quickly followed him behind and passed through.

I don’t know why I did that. But my first guess would be, it was the Naija sharp guy thinking that made me pass quickly without paying. My dad was terribly upset and asked me to return and pay.

A few months later, I got on a bus and with the same mindset of a ‘sharp guy’, I didn’t pay. Normally, there are no ticket inspectors on the bus or trains. They come occasionally, but you cannot tell when. So, on this fateful day, they came, checked, and noticed I did not use my card. Instantly I was fined £20 on a journey that would have cost me only £1.30 had I used my Oyster card. A big lesson I learnt. Since then, I have never entered the public transport without paying the appropriate fare.

Later when I settled and got my apartment, I went with my dad to buy a second-hand television at a charity shop. We bought it for £25. Within one week, I got a letter from TV Licensing that I was to pay £145 each year for watching a TV. My Naija Mindset kicked in again. I said to myself, “TV that I bought for £25 I will now spend £145 to watch?” “for What? As in Why?” I continued to murmur. Then I heard stories about people who often refuse to open their doors to the TV licensing officials who come to check if you own a TV (again, they don’t tell you they are coming, they just appear).

Since I refused to pay the money. I also made up my mind not to be opening my door to strangers. One Saturday morning, I heard a knock on the door. I peeped and couldn’t tell who the person was, so I didn’t open the door. The person left a letter for me through the letterbox. I opened it and saw that it was from the TV Licensing. These were the exact words in the letter, “IT IS NOT IF WE CATCH YOU, IT IS WHEN WE CATCH YOU” and the letter ended with, “YOU WILL BE FINED UP TO A MAXIMUM OF £1,000.”

I paid the £145 immediately. I paid because I was tired of playing hide-and-seek. I paid because I couldn’t afford a £1,000 fine. Since then, I have paid my TV Licensing fee every year for 12 years now and the charge is now £159/year.

In 2014, while on my way to church, I parked at a bus stop. A week later, a penalty notice was sent to my address with a photo of my car on the bus lane. They also included a link for me to watch the video evidence. I was fined £140. I challenged their decision and explained that the back door of the car was not shut so I stopped to check. That I did not want to endanger other road users. I asked them to watch the clip again to see how I stopped, came down, and checked the back door before driving off. After their investigations, they accepted my explanation and cancelled the fine.

You see how an effective system has helped to change my mindset?

Let me share other examples of effective systems in the UK:

(1) The police can use your car’s plate number to retrieve the name of the owner, the registered address and can check whether the car is road worthy or insured.

(2) Financial institutions can use your name, date of birth and address to check whether you are credit worthy. They have a database for people’s credit history.

(3) Education (state-funded) is free from nursery up to secondary school for every child in the UK whether they are citizens or not. Healthcare is also free.

(4) When you reach 40 years, your doctor sends you a letter that you are due for a FREE full medical check-up.

(5) Nobody is above the law. Politicians pay parking fines. The police too get parking tickets.

(6) A lecturer marks your script and gives you feedback on what you did wrong and what you ought to have done. If you are unhappy with your grade, your work is given to another lecturer to mark and this second marker’s score will be used to decide your score.

These and many more, are examples of how systems help governments and organisations to function effectively.

Sadly, the Naija Mindset we have is that of cutting corners, refusing to be accountable, breaking the law, rewarding criminals, showing off, it’s our turn now, it’s my person, and who we know, etc. No wonder when two Nigerians get into an argument, you hear them say, “Do You Know Who I Am?” and “I Will Deal with You”.

Copied!!!

This is apt, God bless you for this piece.

The funniest things about nigerian situation is, despite cutting corners we are still not better off. May God change our heart, change Nigeria for good.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:45pm On Apr 26, 2021
afroxyz:

what they lost is Chicken change to what Bill Hwang lost. Goldman and JP Morgan did not lose because they were the first to close their position by selling the stocks which he deposited as collateral. Morgan Stanley lost about $300m. The ones who got blown were credit suisse and Nomura. Yes risk managment was poor given his reputation, but if he had closed his leveraged bets after amassimg $10bn, we would be calling him a genius. Just a bad day at the office

For 95% of gamblers, money made in the casino will be lost in the casino

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ijeoma660(f): 5:10pm On Apr 26, 2021
Which would you go for?

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:22pm On Apr 26, 2021
Ijeoma660:
Which would you go for?

I am not sure you already have the fund for the Investment.

When you have the money, pray over this matter and allow the holy spirit to direct you.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 5:41pm On Apr 26, 2021
Only you can decide what's important to you. Guaranteed income (Bonds) or a combination of speculative income (rent) and capital growth (real estate). I do not think you have factored in what the block of 4 flats could be worth in 30yrs. Either way the choice is yours. Best of luck. wink cool
Ijeoma660:
Which would you go for?

(1) (2) (3) ... (1877) (1878) (1879) (1880) (1881) (1882) (1883) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.