Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1940) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4445927 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1937) (1938) (1939) (1940) (1941) (1942) (1943) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 400billionman: 6:35pm On Jun 21, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

Oh I’m talking off point when I say people that bought properties 30 years ago are selling them for more than 10x?

Someone that bought a house for way less than a million Naira in Ikeja, Surulere or Yaba in 1990 is not selling that house for anything less than 20m today. I am not guessing this. I know this for a fact.

It is the value of the plot of land, he is selling.

An empty plot in thesame location will still sell same N20m.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 400billionman: 6:41pm On Jun 21, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

In the primary market, you will need N50 million.

In the secondary market, you will need about 100k, if you buy through Stanbic IBTC Bank others will require between N1 million and N20 million

Ok, does the interest come in advance annually like NTB ?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by decargne: 6:43pm On Jun 21, 2021

22 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:54pm On Jun 21, 2021
400billionman:

Ok, does the interest come in advance annually like NTB ?

You are paid your coupon twice in a year.

A bond Investment of N10 million @ a coupon of 14%, will pay you 700k twice in a year at an interval of 6 months

11 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bjtinz: 6:59pm On Jun 21, 2021
Akin3891:

Is there no treasurybill auction this week? I got to stanbic this morning but was told that there is no auction until next week

Is this confirmed?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:00pm On Jun 21, 2021
decargne:
So I had to quit my ghost mode viewing just to be able to appreciate you openly for the good things you are doing by putting out your knowledge on this thread. Please don't stop sir, no matter whatever anybody may be doing.
I reached out to you sometime in 2019 asking you about purchase of bonds (an idea I got on this thread by the way) and you offered your fatherly advice I really appreciate you. so far I've gotten coupons of over 1.2 from the bonds which was reinvested into a building project ordinarily at the level of my income there's no way I would have thought of building a house (a twin two-bedroom apartment for that matter) but with all the knowledge I am getting from this place have been able to put money to good use instead of buying frivolities that will not last. Thank you sir and thank you alot great people. Please keep contributing, continue the good work, God bless you!

On a lighter note, nobody should use this post against me and call me audio when I finally blow ooo because I'd definitely blow with what I am getting here.

You are doing well, thanks for the kind words

13 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by neyyoh: 7:09pm On Jun 21, 2021
Tobex4realTobex234:
These compound interest calculations are giving me orgasms o but how does one achieve it with stocks? I currently never sell any of my stocks but I would like to know how one can leverage compound returns on equities apart from re-investing dividends which I already do.

This bonds seem like an alternate asset I should consider sha because to be honest na proper Island wey I for like to do real estate in Lagos, but my money no reach to buy lands for there grin

Buy some high risk dividend payers like orc, gain.. at 14% ... Put the monthly dividends in voo..

1666 shares of orc will fetch 100 usd per month.. going actively into voo.

You can scale that up depending on your capital.

It's working for me .

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 400billionman: 7:31pm On Jun 21, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

You are paid your coupon twice in a year.

A bond Investment of N10 million @ a coupon of 14%, will pay you 700k twice in a year at an interval of 6 months

That's nice. I will like to see the upper part of that your list bearing the shorter term bonds, like the one expiring APR 2029.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:55pm On Jun 21, 2021
400billionman:

That's nice. I will like to see the upper part of that your list bearing the shorter term bonds, like the one expiring APR 2029.

There is a reopening this week, got this from Stanbic IBTC this morning.

It is a primary market opening, they will pull resources together for retail investors

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by arduino: 8:21pm On Jun 21, 2021
neyyoh:

Buy some high risk dividend payers like orc, gain.. at 14% ... Put the monthly dividends in voo..

1666 shares of orc will fetch 100 usd per month.. going actively into voo.

You can scale that up depending on your capital.
It's working for me .
You for mention this $ORC since nah. Anyways, I hope to achieve same with $GEO
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by neyyoh: 8:35pm On Jun 21, 2021
arduino:

You for mention this $ORC since nah. Anyways, I hope to achieve same with $GEO

Hopefully.

Buy high risk stocks at fair value.. requires a lot of patience... For entries and exit.

Put the returns from high risk stocks in high risk dividends stocks.

Put the returns from high risk dividends stocks into voo, qqq etc.

That's d secret of building long term wealth in the stock market.

You don't have to worry about hyper inflation anymore.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 8:44pm On Jun 21, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

There is a reopening this week, got this from Stanbic IBTC this morning.

It is a primary market opening, they will pull resources together for retail investors

At what rates are these reopening going to be issued?

Will the rate be exactly as stipulated here?

@ the bolded, does it mean that small investors with like 100k to 1 mill can subscribe?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:50pm On Jun 21, 2021
freeman67:

At what rates are these reopening going to be issued?

Will the rate be exactly as stipulated here?

@ the bolded, does it mean that small investors with like 100k to 1 mill can subscribe?

No, probably at 14% yield
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:11pm On Jun 21, 2021
decargne:
So I had to quit my ghost mode viewing just to be able to appreciate you openly for the good things you are doing by putting out your knowledge on this thread. Please don't stop sir, no matter whatever anybody may be doing.
I reached out to you sometime in 2019 asking you about purchase of bonds (an idea I got on this thread by the way) and you offered your fatherly advice I really appreciate you. so far I've gotten coupons of over 1.2 from the bonds which was reinvested into a building project ordinarily at the level of my income there's no way I would have thought of building a house (a twin two-bedroom apartment for that matter) but with all the knowledge I am getting from this place have been able to put money to good use instead of buying frivolities that will not last. Thank you sir and thank you alot great people. Please keep contributing, continue the good work, God bless you!

On a lighter note, nobody should use this post against me and call me audio when I finally blow ooo because I'd definitely blow with what I am getting here.

Did you buy through a bank or a Stockbroker? What is the name of the bank or Stockbroker?

What was your start up capital?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 9:12pm On Jun 21, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Ok, thank you sir.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by maishai: 9:12pm On Jun 21, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

Don’t forget to also project inflation and Naira devaluation over thirty years grin

And you cannot assume that you will continue to reinvest at 15% for 30 years.
D way naira is being devalued gives me goose bumps, 5 years ago I had about 1million in my rsa, fast forward today I have about 4 million, 5 years ago , a standard tokumbo jeep like rx300 is about 1.2 million, fast forward today a standard tokumbo jeep like rx330 goes for nearly 4million.........

What can your money buy......... Valuation is very important o

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:14pm On Jun 21, 2021
maishai:

D way naira is being devalued gives me goose bumps, 5 years ago I had about 1million in my rsa, fast forward today I have about 4 million, 5 years ago , a standard tokumbo jeep like rx300 is about 1.2 million, fast forward today a standard tokumbo jeep like rx330 goes for nearly 4million.........

What can your money buy......... Valuation is very important o

RSA is the major asset of 95% of workers
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by arduino: 9:25pm On Jun 21, 2021
neyyoh:

Hopefully.

Buy high risk stocks at fair value.. requires a lot of patience... For entries and exit.

Put the returns from high risk stocks in high risk dividends stocks.

Put the returns from high risk dividends stocks into voo, qqq etc.

That's d secret of building long term wealth in the stock market.

You don't have to worry about hyper inflation anymore.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chikebrain: 9:33pm On Jun 21, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Would love to add the bond to my portfolio of small investments but the average African man in me is scared of uncertainty over the 10yrs or any duration I pick. Please would love your response on the following questions
1. Using the 10M at 14% as a case study, from above responses, I should get interest twice a year at 700k*2. When does capital come back in

2. If probably before the 10 yrs duration I get a hunch to stop, can I liquidate

3. Can I re-invest interest (I believe that's compounding)
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 9:51pm On Jun 21, 2021
Correct this is why I also said 15% as an average over a 30 year period is a big ask but not impossible if you are in a position to take advantage of periods of market price dislocations (bonds or shares). As a result, compounding the interest of the coupon payments is possible with discipline. Very similar to the discipline required when reinvesting declared company dividends. This is what I have done so far. It is also why I think my 20 to 25 year bond purchase next year will be made using the coupons and dividends I expect over the next 12 months.

ojesymsym:
But it is almost impossible to reinvest your bond interest within the bond itself, or am I missing something?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 10:01pm On Jun 21, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

The difference between the coupon and rent is N9 million per annum.

Calculate the reinvestment of the N9 million every year for the next 30 years, if you won't have hundreds of millions of Naira which you will add to your N100 million payout.

Core fixed income investors understand all these

The relationship with rule 72, @15% the investor must have gotten back his N100 million in 5 years.

The remaining 25 years is jara

The guy doesn't understands grin grin

If you know you know.....

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 10:04pm On Jun 21, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Core fixed income investors understand the game and the so called inflation risk we are all worried about

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 10:13pm On Jun 21, 2021
emmanuelewumi:
I thought people who buy 30 years bonds were fools, until a guru in the field explained some of these tricks to me ie reinvest, replicate and diversify with the steady coupons

grin grin grin

Investors that invested in FGN Bonds 2037 in 2018 at 18% yield get their capital investment by 2024 (6 years) via coupon payments. The remaining coupons of 2025 to 2037 (12years) plus capital are all gains for the investors

....just know how to play your cards well.

Won't do anything rental income Investments anymore.....as am now a lazy investor that wants no headaches

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 10:19pm On Jun 21, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Very few landlords, they should be about 5%.

They should also be charging 10% below the going rates and must invest in verification and investigation of new tenants, in the cause of doing this the property might not generate income for months or years

I know a landlord that has not increased his rental income fee for 5years now...as the tennants are taking good care of the building so far.

He is just maintaining the rentage and reinvesting the funds into other things...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 10:20pm On Jun 21, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Exactly, what I told my cousin when he wanted to increase his rent to what was obtainable in his area.

Better to have good tenants that are prompt with payments and also manage the property well and earn 10% below the going rate

Exactly.....headaches are real grin

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 10:21pm On Jun 21, 2021
condomuser:
This is one of the reasons why I find it difficult investing in rental income assets like houses in Nigeria. The way tenants will owe you and make it seem like they are doing you a favour when you remind them of their due rent.

The exposure too is terrible. I have relatives that started building houses and within the first week of starting up the foundation, the whole community started disturbing them for alms meanwhile the bigger boys are doing something different with no eye wey see exposure

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 10:23pm On Jun 21, 2021
Biafran4life:
oga please show the workings, thanks

You too like money oo grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 10:25pm On Jun 21, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

It actually took me a very long time, before I could understand the rationale behind some core fixed income investors who buy 30 years bonds.

They are so liquid, that they deploys their cash to buying real estates when are are sure of a minimum rental income yield of 10%

So are you joining or have you joined them? grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RayRay06677(m): 10:31pm On Jun 21, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Secondary market. These are the offers sent to me this morning

Good evening sir, if one invest 50m for 2037 bond, how much will be his returns annually?
Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 10:33pm On Jun 21, 2021
ojesymsym:
But it is almost impossible to reinvest your bond interest within the bond itself, or am I missing something?

You can do it...

Done it before grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 10:39pm On Jun 21, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

You are doing well, thanks for the kind words

Evangelism and baptism working well.... grin

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 10:46pm On Jun 21, 2021
Chikebrain:

Would love to add the bond to my portfolio of small investments but the average African man in me is scared of uncertainty over the 10yrs or any duration I pick. Please would love your response on the following questions
1. Using the 10M at 14% as a case study, from above responses, I should get interest twice a year at 700k*2. When does capital come back in

2. If probably before the 10 yrs duration I get a hunch to stop, can I liquidate

3. Can I re-invest interest (I believe that's compounding)

1.....at maturity; depending on the year you invested

2.....very easy to liquidate via the same investment house or bank you used

3....yes, you can buy the same bond from secondary market, so you will get 2 coupon alerts at coupon payments dates, if you continue like dates, the numbers of your coupons alerts keep increasing grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (1937) (1938) (1939) (1940) (1941) (1942) (1943) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.