Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,541 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1942) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4444846 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1939) (1940) (1941) (1942) (1943) (1944) (1945) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 10:28am On Jun 22, 2021
freeman67:

Not completely. Situations that brings about lending and borrowing are not absolute. I will say yes, where a person or people have a track record of being perpetual debtor. However, some people might just be genuinely interested in borrowing for something serious with genuine interest and laid down plans to refund it too.

When there is not collateral, be prepared to either lose your money or the friendship.

You can see how Heritage Bank was begging Andy Ubah to pay back their money, because there was no collateral

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 10:28am On Jun 22, 2021
Thanks for your clarifications. I think I never really saw bonds as buying in units just like shares, always saw it as a lump sum like TB, guess without that out of the way, a lot of other things did not add up.
From your explanation, a man who invest 1M at N100 per unit at a rate of 15% would have 10k units.
When the rate increases from 15% to 20%, then the price at the secondary market will become (100*15/20) N75.
Similarly, when the rate reduces from 15% to 10%, then the price at the secondary market will become (100*15/10) N150.

Since the initial quantity bought with 1 million has not changed, then the value will change accordingly as shown in the illustration below.

Confirm if this is correct sirs.

emmanuelewumi:

You bought bond in the primary market at N100 with a coupon rate of 15%.

If interest rates go down to 10%, the price of your bond will appreciate to N150 in the secondary market. 15 divided by 150 will give 10%

If interest rate increases to 20%, your bond will depreciate to N75 in secondary market. 15 divided by 75 will give you 20%

The yield from your bond will tally with the prevailing interest rates.

ositadima1:

Face value is the money amount the bond will be worth at maturity; it is also the reference amount the bond issuer uses when calculating interest payments. For example, say an investor purchases a bond at a premium $1,090 and another investor buys the same bond later when it is trading at a discount for $980. When the bond matures, both investors will receive the $1,000 face value of the bond.

The coupon rate is the rate of interest the bond issuer will pay on the face value of the bond, expressed as a percentage. For example, a 5% coupon rate means that bondholders will receive 5% x $1000 face value = $50 every year.

Coupon dates are the dates on which the bond issuer will make interest payments. Payments can be made in any interval, but the standard is semiannual payments.

The maturity date is the date on which the bond will mature and the bond issuer will pay the bondholder the face value of the bond.

The issue price is the price at which the bond issuer originally sells the bonds.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by starrybaba(m): 10:31am On Jun 22, 2021
Good morning everyone, I must say I appreciate each and every contribution been made here as I have been learning a lot from this platform and I will soon start putting what I have been learning into practice.

Please I want to inquire about an app called M36. Is it advisable to buy bonds through it or should I just go to the bank?

Someone should kindly educate me on the pros and cons of using the app.

Thanks to all the seniors in investment!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 10:40am On Jun 22, 2021
ojesymsym:
Thanks for your clarifications. I think I never really saw bonds as buying in units just like shares, always saw it as a lump sum like TB, guess without that out of the way, a lot of other things did not add up.
From your explanation, a man who invest 1M at N100 per unit at a rate of 15% would have 10k units.
When the rate increases from 15% to 20%, then the price at the secondary market will become (100*15/20) N75.
Similarly, when the rate reduces from 15% to 10%, then the price at the secondary market will become (100*15/10) N150.

Since the initial quantity bought with 1 million has not changed, then the value will change accordingly as shown in the illustration below.

Confirm if this is correct sirs.

Your coupon of N15 is the same it is the yield that fluctuates with the price in the secondary market

Just like Zenith Bank at N11 and N20 but paid dividend of N3

At N11 you got a dividend yield of 27%, at N20 you got a dividend yield of 15%

The dividend is the same but the yield differs based on the purchase prices

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 10:42am On Jun 22, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

When there is not collateral, be prepared to either lose your money or the friendship.

You can see how Heritage Bank was begging Andy Ubah to pay back their money, because there was no collateral

Yes as a business guarantors or collaterals are very necessary.

In Andy Ubah's case, I think Heritage banks management was either not diligent enough or had fringe benefits from that lending. Going by his track records, no lender is supposed to do any transaction with him except of course his is either naive or intend to get something in return that would not be tied to them.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by XiaoLi: 10:57am On Jun 22, 2021
Security: 9.8% FGN JUL 24 2045
Face Value: 100M
Price: 100Naira
Principal Amount: 100M
Coupon % : 9.8%
Yield at the time of Purchase: 9.8%
Tenor: 9,131
Maturity Date: 24 July 2045
Coupon(every 6 months until maturity): 4.9M

emmanuelewumi:

How much did you Invest? What was the coupon when you bought? What is the tenor of the Investment?

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:06am On Jun 22, 2021
XiaoLi:
Security: 9.8% FGN JUL 24 2045
Face Value: 100M
Price: 100Naira
Principal Amount: 100M
Coupon % : 9.8%
Yield at the time of Purchase: 9.8%
Tenor: 9,131
Maturity Date: 24 July 2045
Coupon(every 6 months until maturity): 4.9M

Interest rate is now about 12%, current price should be about N89 when you add your accumulated coupon from the last payment in January till date..

Why do you want to sell now?

It would have been better for you to have invested in a fixed income

Fund mismatch is a general problem with us

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:09am On Jun 22, 2021
The other day, a lady bought a 7 year Sukuk, only for her to start looking for buyers after 3 months.

There are reason why we have money market fund or Investment

9 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Leezah(f): 12:50pm On Jun 22, 2021
shocked
QuinModah:
I fired him ASAP, his inompetence stinks to high heaven.

How do you meet such tenant?
Arbitration?
What's was the ruling of this arbitration?
Is arbitration a court?

Such tenant will never pay, from experience.

Avoid the following tenants
- Contractors (They keep expecting millions from contracts that never happened, telling you how they know Sanwo-Olu and how his yet to pay for the road in Ikorodu or supplies they made to Alausa that are yet to be paid for)

- Business men (don't even make the mistake at all, before he says, "I am a bus....man", just tell him straight up, you don't give out your houses to business men, they are never truthful, mess up the house, give false information, bring more than the specified number of occupants the house can occupy)

- Pastors (it's a constant battle with them, telling church members that you are the reason for his lack of success, and when it time to pay, he tell you stories, that God will do a miracle. I would have mentioned churches but I'll let it pass)

- Lawyers (On no account should you lease to them)

- Artists ( You will spend more than the money you collected for damages and rent to put the house to a good taste, my property I lease to Asa in Surulere, I spent 950k to put the apartment in order before the current occupant could stay there)

In addition, ensure whoever you rent out the house to, their wives MUST be working. I learnt that here.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jun 22, 2021
QuinModah:
I fired him ASAP, his inompetence stinks to high heaven.

How do you meet such tenant?
Arbitration?
What's was the ruling of this arbitration?
Is arbitration a court?

Such tenant will never pay, from experience.

[[s]b]Avoid the following tenants[/b]
- Contractors (They keep expecting millions from contracts that never happened, telling you how they know Sanwo-Olu and how his yet to pay for the road in Ikorodu or supplies they made to Alausa that are yet to be paid for)

- Business men (don't even make the mistake at all, before he says, "I am a bus....man", just tell him straight up, you don't give out your houses to business men, they are never truthful, mess up the house, give false information, bring more than the specified number of occupants the house can occupy)

- Pastors (it's a constant battle with them, telling church members that you are the reason for his lack of success, and when it time to pay, he tell you stories, that God will do a miracle. I would have mentioned churches but I'll let it pass)

- Lawyers (On no account should you lease to them)

- Artists ( You will spend more than the money you collected for damages and rent to put the house to a good taste, my property I lease to Asa in Surulere, I spent 950k to put the apartment in order before the current occupant could stay there)[/s]

In addition, ensure whoever you rent out the house to, their wives MUST be working. I learnt that here.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 2:07pm On Jun 22, 2021
To whom it may concern
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jmanity: 2:33pm On Jun 22, 2021
ojesymsym:
To whom it may concern

For the dollar investment. If you use this rate to invest $1K every year at 5.5%PA, you will have almost 1billion USD around year 30. My only fear is, will the bank really have that amount of USD to give you?

How did you get the 1billion?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 3:00pm On Jun 22, 2021
Abeg these figures don dey give me headache o grin. I wan sleep well this night.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 3:12pm On Jun 22, 2021
My apologies. Inputted wrong values
jmanity:

How did you get the 1billion?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 3:23pm On Jun 22, 2021
ojesymsym:
To whom it may concern

For the dollar investment. If you use this rate to invest $1K every year at 5.5%PA, you will have almost 1million USD around year 30. My only fear is, will the bank really have that amount of USD to give you?

ojesymsym:
My apologies. Close to $1million dollar.

You initial post said $1k every year. This breakdown is showing 12k every year.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 3:29pm On Jun 22, 2021
I think I messed up completely.
I inputed wrong values
NL1960:

You initial post said $1k every year. This breakdown is showing 12k every year.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 3:39pm On Jun 22, 2021
ojesymsym:
I think I messed up completely.
I inputed wrong values

"If you use this rate to invest $1K every year at 5.5%PA"

It was this quote in your initial post that iam pointing out. $1k every month will give that amount of almost $1B but you said $1k every year in the initial post.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 3:45pm On Jun 22, 2021
Yes, my intention was to do yearly but I inadvertently went to do month, which now gave a wrong value from what I said so I have had to delete my statements.

NL1960:

It was this quote in your initial post that iam pointing out. $1k every month will give that amount of almost $1B but you said $1k every year in the initial post.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jun 22, 2021
NL1960:

There is no way $1k monthly for 30 years at that rate will ever give you $1b. You won’t even get up to $1m.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 4:37pm On Jun 22, 2021
NL1960:

$1k every month at 5.5% would give total investment value of $918,799.28 in 30 years.

Not even upto a million! You come mention a whole billion sad

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 4:45pm On Jun 22, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

There is no way $1k monthly for 30 years at that rate will ever give you $1b. You won’t even get up to $1m.

It is true. It was the original post that confused me.

You self. Once you hear of Billion, na so your body go dey hot as in you don catch another Audio Billionaire. cheesy grin

14 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 4:45pm On Jun 22, 2021
OgogoroFreak:
$1k every month at 5.5% would give total investment value of $918,799.28 in 30 years.

It is true. Na the original post confuse me.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by condomuser: 4:50pm On Jun 22, 2021
Even the $918k over 30 years is impossible, there is no financial institution that will allow you reinvest your coupon at the same rate as original rate at any point.
Also, during some yeaes the rate may go 18 percent and slash to 5 percent for re-investing the coupon payments.

OgogoroFreak:

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 6:57pm On Jun 22, 2021
condomuser:
Even the $918k over 30 years is impossible, there is no financial institution that will allow you reinvest your coupon at the same rate as original rate at any point.
Also, during some yeaes the rate may go 18 percent and slash to 5 percent for re-investing the coupon payments.

It's not impossible. We can call it estimated return since rates can either be higher or lower.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by maishai: 8:41pm On Jun 22, 2021
During Goodluck days, I'm not holding brief for him, trills rate went as high as 19%, I now understand I should have massively invested in bonds, then when one could get as high as 17%.....,.

I now ask what made the cbn of then set such high interest rates
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by starrybaba(m): 8:43pm On Jun 22, 2021
starrybaba:
Good morning everyone, I must say I appreciate each and every contribution been made here as I have been learning a lot from this platform and I will soon start putting what I have been learning into practice.

Please I want to inquire about an app called M36. Is it advisable to buy bonds through it or should I just go to the bank?

Someone should kindly educate me on the pros and cons of using the app.

Thanks to all the seniors in investment!

Abeg make person help answer me @emmanuelewumi and other bosses
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by maishai: 8:45pm On Jun 22, 2021
maishai:
During Goodluck days, I'm not holding brief for him, trills rate went as high as 19%, I now understand I should have massively invested in bonds, then when one could get as high as 17%.....,.

I now ask what made the cbn of then set such high interest rates

Then too prices of Good stocks were depressed, stocks like my favorite zenith bank came as low as #10......,,,

One should really invest during periods of high interest rates
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 8:58pm On Jun 22, 2021
starrybaba:

Abeg make person help answer me @emmanuelewumi and other bosses
Why not just buy bond the way everyone else are buying bond? Never heard of m36 app though but Usually, bond is a long term investment which makes it not advisable to use app.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by starrybaba(m): 9:31pm On Jun 22, 2021
Noted. Thanks boss @Ogogorofreak
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cutedharmee: 9:57am On Jun 23, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

Talk true. No lie. If you see job you go dey drive Uber? No be joblessness make you go borrow money to buy car so that your poor children no go starve?

At least we are not out in the sun driving Uber and taking insults from Lasma and riders to feed our hungry families.

If you were not a bitter and frustrated soul, you would learn a thing or two from the debate.
At least he works. He ain't stealing, we thank God Almighty for his life. Shiooor

10 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Adinije(f): 10:33am On Jun 23, 2021
Can one buy bond remotely, without going to the bank pls?

Stanbic

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by exclusiveoloori: 10:48am On Jun 23, 2021
Fbn quest says they have changed account details so I was sent a new one by one of their reps via mail. She said the whole process is online. Can anyone here send me their new account details for confirmation before I do the transfer? Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (1939) (1940) (1941) (1942) (1943) (1944) (1945) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: mike01 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.