Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,042 members, 7,810,855 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:01 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (2181) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4430504 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2178) (2179) (2180) (2181) (2182) (2183) (2184) ... (2228) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 9:44am On Nov 29, 2023
enque:

I do CPs with Meristem and they clearly state all deductions in the proof of investment letter.

That's good, Afrinvest also does that but they will bill you from all angles possible, they will charge you for the transaction even after the issuer have settled them. Then tell you that the investment is sublet to them because they are stockbrokers and not merchant bank so they have to bill to get their own.

Thus, I prefer merchant banks like FBNQUEST, Coronation and the likes. Coronation usually don't do any other deductions apart from the principal because they are most times either the lead arranger or one of the arrangers and the cost is borne by the issuer from their end. However, on this tax thing, they do not stipulate it on the proof, and when you ask they'll refer you to their mail/advert where it's stated that ' Applicable taxes shall apply except where otherwise exempt'. How I want take the follow up on exempt and none exempted again?

Infact there have been an instance that they have to come me to send them my TIN just when it was close to maturity. That is the only thing I don't fancy about them.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aieromon(m): 9:53am On Nov 29, 2023
freeman67:

My issues with TB is the sudden 10% WHT they are deducting from accrued interest these days.

Nigerian banks have notified their customers that tax will now be charged on bonds and short-term securities on which tax is due, effective from January 2, 2022.

This followed the expiration of the Federal Government Finance Order 2011 which exempted bonds and short-term government securities from income tax for 10 years between 2011 and 2021.

One of the banks, Fidelity Bank, disclosed this in a notice to its customers on Wednesday, titled ‘government tax waiver on bonds expires’.

On December 9, 2011, President Goodluck Jonathan signed the Companies Income Tax Exemption Order 2011, which introduced tax exemption on T-bills and promissory notes, government and corporate bonds, and the interest earned on these instruments for a period of 10 years, starting from January 2, 2012.

Taxes will be charged on short-term Federal Government of Nigeria securities, such as Treasury Bills and promissory notes; bonds issued by state and local governments and their agencies; bonds issued by corporate bodies including supra-nationals; and interest earned by holders of the bond and securities, the bank said.

“For clarity, please note that the two taxes due on income earned on investment (including that of short-term securities) are: Withholding Tax – a 10 percent charge that is deducted at source and is applicable to both individuals and companies income tax – applicable to only companies at 30 percent,” it said.

According to the bank, bonds issued by the Federal Government remain exempted from this regime as this was hitherto not taxable, and all investments in non-FG bonds, Treasury Bills, promissory notes and other short-term government securities shall now attract 10 percent deduction at source at maturity (withholding tax on interest).

“This is payable to the relevant tax authority in accordance with applicable tax laws for Personal Income Tax (for individuals) and Company Income Tax (for companies),” it said.

https://businessday.ng/banking/article/banks-begin-charging-taxes-on-bonds-t-bills-as-exemption-expires/
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:01am On Nov 29, 2023
NL1960:

Risky but possible. The Microfinance banks change interest per month and it is on flat basis and not on reducing balance basis. Some change as high as 6% per month. 6% per month is 72% P.A.
This is not possible

This is misleading

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chikebrain: 10:08am On Nov 29, 2023
freeman67:

That's good, Afrinvest also does that but they will bill you from all angles possible, they will charge you for the transaction even after the issuer have settled them. Then tell you that the investment is sublet to them because they are stockbrokers and not merchant bank so they have to bill to get their own.

Thus, I prefer merchant banks like FBNQUEST, Coronation and the likes. Coronation usually don't do any other deductions apart from the principal because they are most times either the lead arranger or one of the arrangers and the cost is borne by the issuer from their end. However, on this tax thing, they do not stipulate it on the proof, and when you ask they'll refer you to their mail/advert where it's stated that ' Applicable taxes shall apply except where otherwise exempt'. How I want take the follow up on exempt and none exempted again?

Infact there have been an instance that they have to come me to send them my TIN just when it was close to maturity. That is the only thing I don't fancy about them.
Does FBNQUEST offer CP
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 11:15am On Nov 29, 2023
Just curios, what is misleading?
VeeVeeMyLuv:

This is not possible

This is misleading
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:36am On Nov 29, 2023
ojesymsym:
Just curios, what is misleading?
He said an individual can get 72% return on investment for a period of one calender year. That's not possible.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 11:53am On Nov 29, 2023
Check again.

That is not what he said. He said some microfinance banks charge as much as 6% interest rate on loans per month which translates to 72%P.A. He then implied that if they can charge their customers that amount then perhaps they may be able to pay investors up to the amount that was in the sheet that he was replying to.

VeeVeeMyLuv:

He said an individual can get 72% return on investment for a period of one calender year. That's not possible.

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:57am On Nov 29, 2023
ojesymsym:
Check again.

That is not what he said. He said some microfinance banks charge as much as 6% interest rate on loans per month which translates to 72%P.A. He then implied that if they can charge their customers that amount then perhaps they may be able to pay investors up to the amount that was in the sheet that he was replying to.

Okay thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 12:19pm On Nov 29, 2023
Chikebrain:

Does FBNQUEST offer CP

Yes FBNQUEST Merchant Bank do help issuers to arrange CP's for intending investors. It doesn't seem common because you will have to at least indicated interest once or in a way have subscribed to their newsletter with your email add or phone number for you to be getting the information from them. If not, ordinarily you won't get the info except from other sources like Nairaland and co.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 1:02pm On Nov 29, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Okay thanks

Good that somebody has clarified my statement.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Boyhood: 1:56pm On Nov 29, 2023
16.5% pa

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by davit: 5:29pm On Nov 29, 2023
Boyhood:
16.5% pa

Is this a Commercial Paper?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sboga: 5:38pm On Nov 29, 2023
Hope u know dat d t bill dey tax free so comit dis c paper
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by enque(f): 8:38pm On Nov 29, 2023
davit:

Is this a Commercial Paper?
Yes it is.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 7:41am On Nov 30, 2023
Hogwarthtrades:

Returns talked about here is weighted in naira. check out morningstar (search NSE all share nigeria), you can check out investing.com for daily /weekly or monthly return up to 2004 i think. The last 3 years pretty much an anomaly.

The NSE has been sideways since 2008 and only this year exceeded its high of 2008. The years ahead are looking up but then it underperformed in a decade when most major markets were in full swing.

Weighting in naira also doesn't do justice to an individuals ROI as the naira has lost on average 10- 12% against the dollar yearly. I.e a 10% return might equate to just holding usd instead

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Hamachi(f): 7:49am On Nov 30, 2023
Nigeria is the joint-largest economy in Sub-Saharan Africa, an oil exporter and an OPEC
member. Hydrocarbons generate about 50% of government revenue and more than 80% of
export receipts, but agriculture and services dwarf industry as contributors to GDP.
Bola Tinubu, the candidate of the ruling party, the All Progressives Congress, won the
February presidential election with only 36.6% of the vote. His meagre political capital is
already wearing thin as a daring economic reform agenda clashes with unions, and EIU views
the momentum for further market reform as being absent.
Insecurity is chronic in many areas, with the security forces too overstretched to counter
multiple security crises effectively. High inflation, low economic growth and unpopular market
reforms present substantial political stability risks in the context. Labour unions are likely to be
active, with a high risk of industrial action that affects the economy.
Economic growth will be slow in 2024 as a new bout of inflationary pressure and an
intensification of monetary tightening lead to a contraction in domestic demand. Growth will
accelerate to a multi-year high in 2025 as the shock of market reform passes, and will be boosted
by investment in the recently deregulated power sector.
Foreign-exchange scarcity will persist in the short term. The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has
reverted to heavier currency management after having briefly switched to a "managed float" in
June, and a freely-traded naira is not expected even in the long term.
Although production is well below the boom years of the early 2010s, Nigeria's oil and gas
sector will remain crucial to the prospects of the wider economy, dominating the export profile
and accounting for about half of government revenue.
Nigeria is a signatory to the African Continental Free-Trade Area agreement. However, the
government will take a protectionist approach to regional trade and will do little to encourage
regional trade, beyond meeting its obligations on tariff cuts.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 10:02am On Nov 30, 2023
Let your Detty December money make some money for you before it gets Detty.

MMF Rate is responding to High Tbills rates as earlier noted. The MMF rate is on the way up try and go up with it.
By tomorrow it will be December, take advantage of increasing MMF rates and make more money this December.
I will advise folks to take this opportunity and drop your funds for the festive period and January 2024 in MMF to have better returns.

Click the link on my signature to start investing in the Stanbic MMF or contact me.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 10:17am On Nov 30, 2023
emmasoft:
Let your Detty December money make some money for you before it gets Detty.

MMF Rate is responding to High Tbills rates as earlier noted. The MMF rate is on the way up try and go up with it.
By tomorrow it will be December, take advantage of increasing MMF rates and make more money this December.
I will advise folks to take this opportunity and drop your funds for the festive period and January 2024 in MMF to have better returns.

Click the link on my signature to start investing in the Stanbic MMF or contact me.

If we drop it in this December period, what are we going to use to buy rice and chicken or travel to the village?. cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Foodempire: 10:32am On Nov 30, 2023
freeman67:

He is not looking to make a new investment, he talking about the already subscribed SUKUK VI.

There are other CP's with higher rates; like SKDL and Robust international with coronation. My issues with TB is the sudden 10% WHT they are deducting from accrued interest these days.

Kindly explain the bolded. I thought there's no withholding tax on treasury bills, is this new?

P.s" Got the needed Answers, 10% off the interest is a bit high o.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 10:41am On Nov 30, 2023
Foodempire:

Kindly explain the bolded. I thought there's no withholding tax on treasury bills, is this new?

Read the page before this and at the beginning of this page you find the answer.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Hogwarthtrades: 12:25pm On Nov 30, 2023
jedisco:

The NSE has been sideways since 2008 and only this year exceeded its high of 2008. The years ahead are looking up but then it underperformed in a decade when most major markets were in full swing.

Weighting in naira also doesn't do justice to an individuals ROI as the naira has lost on average 10- 12% against the dollar yearly. I.e a 10% return might equate to just holding usd instead

Do as you please with the information given. I'm not going to waste time with this naira devaluation or inflation talk on this thread. It amounts to whooping a dead horse at a race track. Shalom!

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tranquility2345: 6:34pm On Nov 30, 2023
smiley
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OGHENAOGIE(m): 9:37pm On Nov 30, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Nov 8th & Nov 20th ( last for the year)
so one can't do TB this December?? Ah nawa ooo
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OGHENAOGIE(m): 9:42pm On Nov 30, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Nov 8th & Nov 20th ( last for the year)
when is the next auction and why is Nov 20th the last to bid for TB.. thks for update

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:53pm On Nov 30, 2023
OGHENAOGIE:
when is the next auction and why is Nov 20th the last to bid for TB.. thks for update
There will probably be auctions in December
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OGHENAOGIE(m): 9:56pm On Nov 30, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

There will probably be auctions in December
alright I ll check but is there any where one can know current rates for 90 days...

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:58pm On Nov 30, 2023
OGHENAOGIE:
alright I ll check but is there any where one can know current rates for 90 days...
https://www.nigeriagalleria.com/Galleria_Finance/Nigerian-Treasury-Bills-FGN-Bonds-Auction-Results.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OGHENAOGIE(m): 10:09pm On Nov 30, 2023

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Olaide1295: 3:04pm On Dec 02, 2023
Chikebrain:
This is fairmoney interest rate. How is this rate possible. I'm almost tempted by it
I won’t touch that bank with a 10-ft pole. I’ve seen their numbers and it’s not nice. Lots of non performing loans

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by QuinModah(f): 1:32pm On Dec 03, 2023
wink
Olaide1295:

I won’t touch that bank with a 10-ft pole. I’ve seen their numbers and it’s not nice. Lots of non performing loans
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ThisisIkemefuna(m): 10:47am On Dec 04, 2023
angry

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by shizzy7(f): 1:22pm On Dec 04, 2023
Hello what's the process of investing in a commercial paper? I Already opened a stanbic investment account but I'm not getting info on cp just their mmf and interest is 11%.
OR
Which is the best bank or investment house for treasury bills and at what rate will it be?

(1) (2) (3) ... (2178) (2179) (2180) (2181) (2182) (2183) (2184) ... (2228) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: ixyi(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.