Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,038 members, 7,825,272 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (2192) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4453432 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2189) (2190) (2191) (2192) (2193) (2194) (2195) ... (2231) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by narite: 6:30pm On Jan 27
TotoNaRubber:
Nice coupon but do you know that the capital of this investment has been devalued by over 383% from 2020 when dollar was at N365.

If you had bought dollar with the capital and held till now, you would have been a lot better.

Your N50m @ N365/$ in 2020 = $136,900, It is now worth N50m /N1400 in 2024 = $35,714.

You lost over $100,000 in 4 years and counting cry

Mehn, that one huge unadjusted loss.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 2:34pm On Jan 28
TotoNaRubber:
Well as you can't win it all. With knowledge on your side, you were able to diversify.

Now, imagine how over 200 million Nigerians without this knowledge and spare cash to buy dollar have been thrown into extreme misfortune.

Most of the rich knew about this and they multiplied their worth easily. So long as you live in Nigeria whether you earn in Pounds or Malaysian ringgit the devaluation affects you but then the worst set of people are thecones who have only Naira as currency.

We have been hearing about investing in dollars for over ten years now.

Every so often, someone will come and do the calculations of how much you would have lost if you held naira instead of dollars. Don't you get tired ni?

I believe you have already converted all your money to dollars (audio, maybe...), which is good. Now rest, haba. I would even suggest sending your spouse out there to earn dollars.

I thought this thread was about investing in Nigerian denominated securities.

10 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 2:46pm On Jan 28
skydiver01:
I am unperturbed. I made the FGN Naira bond investments with the sole objective of the coupons meeting my expenses in Nigeria which continues to hold true today even while the Naira has continued to fall. This is the reason I also made majority of my portfolio in FX investments. My two kids are out of university and in gainful employment. I have no rent to pay in Nigeria because my properties are fully paid for and I am paid rent on one of them. I will give you a simple example (though I have many) of why I am unperturbed. I live a simple life though I do enjoy myself with friends. However, in the last 10 years I have been unable to spend more than N6m a year on expenses. So, even if the Naira falls to N5,000 to the US Dollar, it simply cannot bother me in the least. This is why it is important to have a diversified portfolio. It is meant to balance out risks and continue to grow. I assure you I made a good investment in the FGN Naira bonds because it met and continues to meet my needs and objectives. My Naira investments were never based on an expectation of the Naira appreciating and I am not also interested in converting any of my FX investment's coupons and dividends into Naira - those are for my expenses when I am not in the country holidaying. I hope the above helps put into perspective your assumption of how I feel wink

Okay, you are so fortunate that everything is working out for you. You are living your best life. So, what should we do now?

Is enjoying your wealth not bringing you enough happiness that you need to write about it for emotional boosts?

What exactly is the message in this long letter - buy, sell or hold?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tranquility2345: 3:10pm On Jan 28
ositadima1:

Okay, you are so fortunate that everything is working out for you. You are living your best life. So, what should we do now?

Is enjoying your wealth not bringing you enough happiness that you need to write about it for emotional boosts?

Quoting before you delete as usual cheesy

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tranquility2345: 3:10pm On Jan 28
ositadima1:

Every so often, someone will come and do the calculations of how much you would have lost if you held naira instead of dollars. Don't you get tired ni?

I believe you have already converted all your money to dollars (audio, maybe...), which is good. Now rest, haba. I would even suggest sending your spouse out there to earn dollars.

grin

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RayRay06677(m): 3:16pm On Jan 28
Unnecessary attacks

Some gets motivations from stories like that.

We can not convert all our money to dollars

Allow naira to breath

Age, inheritance policy and volume of naira you hold can be a reason you shouldn't bother about dollars.

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tranquility2345: 3:32pm On Jan 28
RayRay06677:
Unnecessary attacks

Allow naira to breath

Age, inheritance policy and volume of naira you hold can be a reason you shouldn't bother about dollars.

Age- please what has age got to do with it? No rational person no matter how old or young can sleep well at night knowing that his life savings is deteriorating very quickly. One thing you must understand and I do not think you take this into account. When Naira deteriorates, most domestic costs also increase. School fees will increase, rent, food, beer, plane tickets, bus fares, salary paid to domestic staff. Even your wives, girlfriends and money for olosho go increase

Inheritance policy- the more the Naira continues to devalue, the more useless the money you leave behind will be to your heirs. Person wey get 10m to leave to him heirs ten to fifteen years ago was leaving good money. Today, if man leave 10m, that’s money that that won’t last long for heirs.

In conclusion, under no circumstance are you better off holding all your investment and savings in Naira. Now, if one keeps a small portion of his portfolio in NGN for short term Naira expenses, that makes sense.

This has got nothing to do with patriotism or greed. This is how everyone including the wealthy and high earners in naija (and other African countries like SA, Kenya, Ghana, etc with the same currency issues as Naija) dey preserve their wealth. It is sad but that’s just the reality of the times we live in..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 3:32pm On Jan 28
RayRay06677:
Unnecessary attacks

Allow naira to breath

I am not really attacking, just trying to be reasonable. This is not the way to be a role model. There is no moral to the long letter.

I can simply summarize the whole thing in a few words - "I am very comfortable and I will still be even if Nigeria burns".

Now, compare that with what you get from mature individuals like Pa Emma. He will give you roadmaps and actionable pointers.

I can only say be wary of old people who talk like teenagers.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tranquility2345: 3:37pm On Jan 28
ositadima1:

I am not really attacking, just trying to be reasonable. This is not the way to be a role model. There is no moral to the long letter.

I can simply summarize the whole thing in a few words - "I am very comfortable and I will still be even if Nigeria burns".

Now, compare that with what you get from mature individuals like Pa Emma. He will give you roadmaps and actionable pointers.

I can only say be wary of old people who talk like teenagers.

I think Skydiver made solid points from his own point of view about the situation. The key lesson he was passing across is the power of diversification when it comes to the currency of savings and investments…

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 3:44pm On Jan 28
Tranquility2345:

I think Skydiver made solid points from his own point of view about the situation. The key lesson he was passing across is the power of diversification when it comes to the currency of savings and investments…

You think investing in Nigerian bonds denominated in USD and foreign currencies is a solid diversification strategy. By the time the naira gets to 5000, how sure are you that Nigeria will not default on its bond payments?

The truth is that these bonds are still correlated with the naira, and if Nigeria's economy goes to ruin, so will these bonds.

To truly diversify, you would have to buy bonds in foreign countries, like physically go to the USA and buy their bonds.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 3:57pm On Jan 28
lipsrsealed
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RayRay06677(m): 4:12pm On Jan 28
Tranquility2345:

Age- please what has age got to do with it? No rational person no matter how old or young can sleep well at night knowing that his life savings is deteriorating very quickly. One thing you must understand and I do not think you take this into account. When Naira deteriorates, most domestic costs also increase. School fees will increase, rent, food, beer, plane tickets, bus fares, salary paid to domestic staff. Even your wives, girlfriends and money for olosho go increase

Inheritance policy- the more the Naira continues to devalue, the more useless the money you leave behind will be to your heirs. Person wey get 10m to leave to him heirs ten to fifteen years ago was leaving good money. Today, if man leave 10m, that’s money that that won’t last long for heirs.

In conclusion, under no circumstance are you better off holding all your investment and savings in Naira. Now, if one keeps a small portion of his portfolio in NGN for short term Naira expenses, that makes sense.

This has got nothing to do with patriotism or greed. This is how everyone including the wealthy and high earners in naija (and other African countries like SA, Kenya, Ghana, etc with the same currency issues as Naija) dey preserve their wealth. It is sad but that’s just the reality of the times we live in..

Happy Sunday sir,

Age and volume of money: a 55yrs old man with over a billion naira and above in bond with a rate of at least 15% should rest his head about his money not being able to cater for his needs. if he lives the next 35yrs, he should thank God.

Inheritance policy: most of us only owe our kids the best education provided they are willing to dare. Reason I created bond for them, just for school fees and will keep creating more bonds as long as I live as I can only use max of 50% of my inflows. "I am a low life Nigga" nothing interest me about drinking a 1.5m naira alcohol when I can get a fresh and good palmy at way cheaper rate.

I owe no kid explanation after sending them to the best schools. If my dad left me a fortune maybe I wouldn't be here. I consider the kids of the rich while I was growing, especially those that have finished selling properties.
Money you don't make, you wouldn't cherish.

We know naira is losing value but what we have will support our lifetime so no need to keep dollar that I am not using.

A man whose investment can pay him 10m monthly will hardly go broke in this lifetime as such should not panic. Imagine the damage to the economy of converting billions of naira to dollar just for keeps because you fear it might lose value. We are not helping the country.

For those that hate long episode. Please I am sorry, today is Sunday and a work free day.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Fastsnail0806: 7:19pm On Jan 28
ositadima1:

Says who? This thread is for investment purposes but not limited to Naira investment only, allow people share their views freely and in peace. Your writeups here show that you are in a 'siviiiia' pain for not investing in dollar denominated securities, shiit happens, I missed the train too and it hurts badly.

Guys let the financial education continue for the newbies and for those who are willing to learn.

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Foodempire: 7:39pm On Jan 28
RayRay06677:
Unnecessary attacks

Allow naira to breath

I laugh but rarely argue when I see how hard people defend Thier Naira fixed investments even when the handwriting is bold enough to see that such investment is doomed and in the ruins, they still try hard to justify the valueless millions that comes as dividends. My loss in this yeye naira devaluation would have bought me three Houses of my dream, I'm in siviiiia pain o but I've stopped to beat myself up, naija economy is jagajaga

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tranquility2345: 7:42pm On Jan 28
ositadima1:
lipsrsealed

Deleted as usual. Wetin you dey fear? You think say anybody send you for here ? undecided

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tranquility2345: 7:49pm On Jan 28
ositadima1:

You think investing in Nigerian bonds denominated in USD and foreign currencies is a solid diversification strategy. By the time the naira gets to 5000, how sure are you that Nigeria will not default on its bond payments?

The truth is that these bonds are still correlated with the naira, and if Nigeria's economy goes to ruin, so will these bonds.

To truly diversify, you would have to buy bonds in foreign countries, like physically go to the USA and buy their bonds.

What makes you think his fx investments are Nigerian bonds denominated in dollars (these are called Eurobonds by the way)? And who told you that you have to go physically to the USA to invest in their bonds? I swear I feel like giving you a very hot konk on that your yellow bald head angry

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 7:57pm On Jan 28
Tranquility2345:

What makes you think his fx investments are Nigerian bonds denominated in dollars (these are called Eurobonds by the way)? And who told you that you have to go physically to the USA to invest in their bonds? I swear I feel like giving you a very hot konk on that your yellow bald head angry

I have said what I have said. If your dollar investments are Nigerian bonds denominated in foreign currencies, don't feel too cocky because if the Nigerian economy goes bad, default is very likely. However, if you diversified in foreign markets, then good for you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tranquility2345: 7:58pm On Jan 28
ositadima1:

I have said what I have said. If your dollar investments are Nigerian bonds denominated in foreign currencies, don't feel too cocky because if the Nigerian economy goes bad, default is very likely. However, if you diversified in foreign markets, then good for you.

angry

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Macktaob(m): 9:21pm On Jan 28
What about buying lands in Nigeria of today, like the new bubbling ground, Epe. Would that also be a bad investment considering how the equivalent of the value in years time to dollar could be sad?
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Itsrm(m): 10:16pm On Jan 28
Macktaob:
What about buying lands in Nigeria of today, like the new bubbling ground, Epe. Would that also be a bad investment considering how the equivalent of the value in years time to dollar could be sad?
Thanks

If you get it right, can be very rewarding. If not, 5 years from now, you may end up selling less than you bought it.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DonationWorld(f): 10:58pm On Jan 28
ositadima1:

He was replying a statement someone made referring to his investment in Naira being worthless, I like statements like that because it is inspiring

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by milliondollarma: 8:26am On Jan 29
Foodempire:

I laugh but rarely argue when I see how hard people defend Thier Naira fixed investments even when the handwriting is bold enough to see that such investment is doomed and in the ruins, they still try hard to justify the valueless millions that comes as dividends. My loss in this yeye naira devaluation would have bought me three Houses of my dream, I'm in siviiiia pain o but I've stopped to beat myself up, naija economy is jagajaga
Bikonu how do I convert and keep my money in foreign currency or invest in one. My money no get head again 😭

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Meerahbel: 10:01am On Jan 29
milliondollarma:
Bikonu how do I convert and keep my money in foreign currency or invest in one. My money no get head again 😭
Use a dormant account or use any Fintech company registered with SEC o
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 10:46am On Jan 29
Thank you and very precise 👍 I have never bought Nigerian Eurobonds in my life. wink
Tranquility2345:

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tundebasic(m): 1:54pm On Jan 29
skydiver01:
Thank you and very precise 👍 I have never bought Nigerian Eurobonds in my life. wink
So, sir, if I may ask, which channel, app, or investment companies do you use to access foreign currency denominated investments from Nigeria?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by otomatic(m): 2:13pm On Jan 29
Meerahbel:
Use a dormant account or use any Fintech company registered with SEC o

Domiciliary account

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 5:35pm On Jan 29
Correct 100%. I have been saying for quite some years now that, I think its best for us to have a diversified portfolio of investments that include various asset classes including FX denominated investments that pay returns in FX (coupons and dividends). Because, the devaluation of the Naira's trend has been with us for many years now. Such a portfolio can built bit by bit over time. For example, I think my first Naira investment many years ago was a one year N50,000 TBill purchase. The main point is to start as early as one can and invest with whatever one can and increase it over time but diversify. There are many FX denominated funds one can buy even from/via Nigerian banks. All you need is a domiciliary account and you are good to go. Another example, is there was time I was purchasing $50 of the funds every single month (not Naira $ Eurobonds). Over time it can become quite sizeable whatever the Naira does wink
Tranquility2345:

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 6:29pm On Jan 29
"There are many FX denominated funds one can buy even from/via Nigerian banks."

Only accredited investors can participate in private placements of foreign bonds offered by investment houses or banks.

The foreign currency denominated investments provided in these banks are mostly repackaged Eurobonds, though I'm open to correction on that.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 6:29pm On Jan 29
For example, you can enquire from your bank, to start with, that you would like to buy monthly United States treasury bills (e.g. the 10, 20 or 30 years) and take it from there. Over time you will be in a position (unless you are already in a position) to open an account with an international Investment and Asset Management institution like Shroders who have been around for over 200 years. Shroders was founded in 1800.
tundebasic:
So, sir, if I may ask, which channel, app, or investment companies do you use to access foreign currency denominated investments from Nigeria?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RayRay06677(m): 8:27pm On Jan 29
Good luck to the PATRIOTS

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tranquility2345: 8:30pm On Jan 29
ositadima1:
"There are many FX denominated funds one can buy even from/via Nigerian banks."

Only accredited investors can participate in private placements of foreign bonds offered by investment houses or banks.

The foreign currency denominated investments provided in these banks are mostly repackaged Eurobonds, though I'm open to correction on that.

Hmmm 🤔

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by stephano100(m): 9:38am On Jan 30
TotoNaRubber:
Nice coupon but do you know that the capital of this investment has been devalued by over 383% from 2020 when dollar was at N365.

If you had bought dollar with the capital and held till now, you would have been a lot better.

Your N50m @ N365/$ in 2020 = $136,900, It is now worth N50m /N1400 in 2024 = $35,714.

You lost over $100,000 in 4 years and counting cry

This one touch me, pls everyone I hope it’s not too late to buy dollar now?

(1) (2) (3) ... (2189) (2190) (2191) (2192) (2193) (2194) (2195) ... (2231) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: unicbabe(f)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.