Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,519 members, 7,826,955 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (2222) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4455520 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2219) (2220) (2221) (2222) (2223) (2224) (2225) ... (2232) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Donsheddy: 4:33pm On Apr 09
All this one na plenty talk...
Anybody wey join the business of hoarding dollars for short term naim go cry....
I don't know how far the naira will gain against the dollar but one thing is certain it will still pump again...
And if it does it will certainly break the current...
We just the postpon the inevitable....

As long as we still have corruption...
Insecurity...
Millions of Jobless youths...
No industry...
No electricity...

Etc....

Naira willl never be stable e go rise....

See how we gradually rose from 150 to 1900

Now dancing around 1100 is this gain or loss ...

Still the same mantra of the old...
Borrow borrow borrow borrow....

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sirrotex: 5:48pm On Apr 09
Page 2222.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bjtinz: 6:36pm On Apr 09
With the extension in holiday, will the bids still hold this week? Friday perhaps
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 6:42pm On Apr 09
Donsheddy:
Anybody wey join the business of hoarding dollars for short term naim go cry....
I don't know how far the naira will gain against the dollar but one thing is certain it will still pump again...

Insecurity...
No industry...
No electricity...

Etc....

First the window of 1900 was brief. Not many people sold at that price they were waiting for 2500, now they wish they had sold.

Last crash of 2015-2017, dollar went from 190 to 520, when the CBN crashed rates we had 40 months of stable rates at 360 before it started moving to 390, 450, 520 etc.

20% compounded over 5 years = 358%.
Those who kept their 520 dollar in 2017 and waited till 2024 can now sell at 1100 only 212%.

As long as your dollar is lying idle, speculation will always underperform.

It's also a good significant development that just as we ni longer need dollars to import cement, we also ni longer need dollars to import diesel.

People are entitled to their opinions and negative sentiments, it doesn't mean they count for anything.

12 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 6:44pm On Apr 09
Our 40 months streak needed a disruption that was as massive as COVID, as well as a derailed emefiele to get broken.

COVID was so bad that for the first time in history, oil sold for less than $0!!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 12:08pm On Apr 10
awesomeJ:

Some people think the fact that we're using FPI money is an issue. The fact is dollars will always flow into the economy, but it's better to get them in at #1000 instead of at #2000.

Remittances for instance regardless of exchange rate, at least $20bn will still flow in.

If they're exchanged at #1000, money supply grows by 20trn, if at #2500, it grows by 50trn,

So while we may expend $1bn on interests and capital gains to FPIs, we're saving 30trn in excess money that would have added huge inflationary pressures.

Also, with naira assets looking more attractive, there's a significant decrease in thirst for using USD as a store of values by resident Nigerians, this is driving down demand for USD, and perhaps increasing supply with some individuals now incentivised to sell off their USD positions and make better returns on naira assets.

I agree with your last paragraph in addition to the hidden fact that the recent UK immigration change has resulted in a significant reduction in the number of students going for masters abd hence less chase for forex.

However, the first section on FPIs and money supply is convoluted. The CBN printed (i.e increased our money supply) by over 50 trillion in the last few years. Was this done due to increased forex inflow?

awesomeJ:

20% compounded over 5 years = 358%.
Those who kept their 520 dollar in 2017 and waited till 2024 can now sell at 1100 only 212%.

As long as your dollar is lying idle, speculation will always underperform.

You're comparing apples to oranges

What local investment instruments would have given a reasonably safe 20% yield between 2017 and 2024?

What would be the return today if that dollar converted in 2017 was invested in the S&P or a global index?

Have you seen what Argentina' interest rate is? Argument could be made to move all investments to Argentinian Peso

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tabithababy(f): 12:35pm On Apr 10
skydiver01:
Which investments are you particularly referring to? TBills?
. Good afternoon skydiver.. please I would like to go into this tbills .. how do I get started Can I pm you sir
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by LordAdam16: 12:57pm On Apr 10
awesomeJ:

We're currently in week 15/52 this year, your ignorant assumption is that the CBN has taken $1bn dollars every 3 weeks, why has our reserves not depleted by $5bn

When did the intervention start?

I wonder why you're blind to the fact that $7bn of backlog were knocked off, and currency's value has been restored from 1900 to 1100 yet only $1bn has been used from the reserves?

Of the $7B backlog, they cleared $5B and struck off $2B as invalid.
Of that $5B they cleared, they got $2B in loans from AfriEXIM bank and $2B from FPIs.
CBN also now receives oil sales receipt from the NNPC.

And they did not need to dip into the reserves until they started the intervention.
Most of the money used for the backlog clearance will have to be repaid.
They cleared the backlog with debt.

Now that there's no more backlog to clear and they only need to gain #100-200 more instead of #800 that they already did. If you were objective enough you'd see that they wouldn't need up to $3bn more from the reserves.

Again stop assuming in ignorance that reserves are for decoration. They're serving their purpose at this time. The only surprise here is that only $1bn has been used when it should have been up to $10bn.

So if it will take $3B to move the rate to 900, why not spend $10B to move it 300?
In fact, why stop there?
Why not spend $13B to move it to 100. Or $15B to make it $1 to N1.
After all, the reserves are not for decoration.

Spend the money to peg the rate and your feelings will keep it at that rate forever. Like magic!

-Lord

9 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 1:26pm On Apr 10
jedisco:

I agree with your last paragraph in addition to the hidden fact that due to recent UK immigration change has resulted in a significant reduction in the number of students going for masters abd hence less chase for forex.

However, the first section on FPIs and money supply is convoluted. The CBN printed (i.e increased our money supply) by over 50 trillion in the last few years. Was this done due to increased forex inflow?

You're comparing apples to oranges

What local investment instruments would have given a reasonably safe 20% yield between 2017 and 2024?

What would be the return today if that dollar converted in 2017 was invested in the S&P or a global index?

Have you seen what Argentina' interest rate is? Argument could be made to move all investments to Argentinian Peso

What do you mean by convoluted?
Why do you think money supply figures had big jumps in June 2023 and February 2024?

$30bn in dorm accounts is part of the broad money supply. At 460, it's just about 14trn but at 800 or 1600 you can do the math.

You're saying government printed blah blah, how does that relate to the point here? The point is lower exchange rate reduces the FX component of your money supply, you shouldn't assume that I said exchange rate is the only reason for money supply growth, you'd be speaking fallaciously.

2. What do you mean by "comparing apples to oranges?" Again you must have read with wrong context, and in such a case what you should do is seek clarification about the point being made rather than assume wrongly.

The point is comparing the returns between holding idle dollars for speculative purposes for 7 years versus holding naira assets in thesame period.

Also 20% per annum yield on naira assets isn't that far off. Tbill yields through2019 we're at about 22%, commercial papers, bonds stocks etc are other options TRANSCORP did close to 1000%
last year alone, so 20% is actually conservative.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 1:33pm On Apr 10
LordAdam16:

Of that $5B they cleared, they got $2B in loans from AfriEXIM bank and $2B from FPIs.

And they did not need to dip into the reserves until they started the intervention.

So if it will take $3B to move the rate to 900, why not spend $10B to move it 300?
In fact, why stop there?

Spend the money to peg the rate and your feelings will keep it at that rate forever. Like magic!

-Lord

I think you should just sell your dollars and rest.
As far as I'm concerned, the government owes no obligation to granting your whims of dollar at 3000 at the expense of citizens' purchasing power.

It's your money, you keep it, you lose it, you speculate with it, it's your business.

CBN sales to retail users have only been about $64m all year, but just as greed drove rates to 1900, fear is being quite effective now too. 1070 in some corners already.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 1:58pm On Apr 10
awesomeJ:

I think you should just sell your dollars and rest.
As far as I'm concerned, the government owes no obligation to granting your whims of dollar at 3000 at the expense of citizens' purchasing power.
It's your money, you keep it, you lose it, you speculate with it, it's your business.
CBN sales to retail users have only been about $64m all year, but just as greed drove rates to 1900, fear is being quite effective now too. 1070 in some corners already.

Greed drove rates to 1900? Interesting.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Itsrm(m): 2:30pm On Apr 10
LordAdam16:

In fact, why stop there?

-Lord

grin grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Odunharry(m): 3:09pm On Apr 10
bjtinz:
With the extension in holiday, will the bids still hold this week? Friday perhaps
Maybe Friday..

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Vickyace(f): 3:42pm On Apr 10
Please can someone help with the calculation if I winvest 1 million in treasury bills either for 6 months or a year. Please it is urgent. I need help.Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Odunharry(m): 3:58pm On Apr 10
Vickyace:
Please can someone help with the calculation if I winvest 1 million in treasury bills either for 6 months or a year. Please it is urgent. I need help.Thanks
Depending on the rate... And preferred Tenure.
Around 251k for a year @ 25.1%.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Odunharry(m): 8:53pm On Apr 10
T-Bills primary auction will likely take place this Friday.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tranquility2345: 10:05pm On Apr 10
Vickyace:

Please no vex o. But did you pass maths for WAEC? I’m only asking because this calculation is very basic.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tabithababy(f): 6:55am On Apr 11
Good morning everyone, please is there any good Samaritan here that can briefly put me through on how to go about this treasury bill Like which bank is the best to open account with , and is it savings or current account i need to open,,,,, will one million be enough to start with, and how do i know when to fill the form for auction Please somebody should help me answer these questions.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 7:20am On Apr 11
grin grin grin
Tranquility2345:

Please no vex o. But did you pass maths for WAEC? I’m only asking because this calculation is very basic.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 8:33am On Apr 11
tabithababy:
Good morning everyone, please is there any good Samaritan here that can briefly put me through on how to go about this treasury bill Like which bank is the best to open account with , and is it savings or current account i need to open,,,,, will one million be enough to start with, and how do i know when to fill the form for auction Please somebody should help me answer these questions.

Tabitha, don't put money in a thing you do not understand.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AngelicBeing: 8:43am On Apr 11
Acidosis:

Tabitha, don't put money in a thing you do not understand.
tongue

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 9:43am On Apr 11
tabithababy:

@tabithababy your intentions to go into tbills is good but I hope it's not just the fact that you heard about high rates only that serves as your motivation otherwise I advice read more on investment generally tbills inclusive so that you understand what you about to go into and be well guided.
That's by the way.

Investing in tbills through primary auction is very straightforward.
First, you don't need any special dedicated bank account. Your bank account you have currently whether current or savings will do except you just want to change your bank.

For a bank like Stanbic 100k is minimum and I believe some others will accept less than a million as well. Minimum deposit for tbills is determined by individual banks.

Primary auction for Tbills is done fortnightly and on Wednesdays, if you wish to participant, you will make your intentions known to your bank latest by 10am the Tuesday preceeding the auction date.
However, the day and date is distorted this week because of the holidays.

Another investment window that guarantees your capital and fully regulated is money market fund.
You can start that with as low as 5k.

If you need further clarifications on tbills or mutual funds kindly reach out to me with the numbers on my signature.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by biznus: 11:41am On Apr 11
Back again wink

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tabithababy(f): 1:56pm On Apr 11
emmasoft:

@tabithababy your intentions to go into tbills is good but I hope it's not just the fact that you heard about high rates only that serves as your motivation otherwise I advice read more on investment generally tbills inclusive so that you understand what you about to go into and be well guided.
That's by the way.

Investing in tbills through primary auction is very straightforward.
First, you don't need any special dedicated bank account. Your bank account you have currently whether current or savings will do except you just want to change your bank.

For a bank like Stanbic 100k is minimum and I believe some others will accept less than a million as well. Minimum deposit for tbills is determined by individual banks.

Primary auction for Tbills is done fortnightly and on Wednesdays, if you wish to participant, you will make your intentions known to your bank latest by 10am the Tuesday preceeding the auction date.
However, the day and date is distorted this week because of the holidays.

Another investment window that guarantees your capital and fully regulated is money market fund.
You can start that with as low as 5k.

If you need further clarifications on tbills or mutual funds kindly reach out to me with the numbers on my signature.
. God will continue to bless you Sir. Thank you so much

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 2:11pm On Apr 11
tabithababy:
. God will continue to bless you Sir. Thank you so much

You can start with the MMF and be building it up gradually as it allows for top-up at any time while you learn more about TBs. TBs gives you an upfront interest and the capital will no longer be available to you till maturity date. If you now need funds, you will have to sell all or part of it and you might be charged a penalty but for MMF, you can withdraw funds anytime.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ogawisdom(m): 12:28pm On Apr 12
Dollar- Naira so someone cannot play with you again

Naira - Play kill you there

grin
grin

Dollar still dey collect daily

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AngelicBeing: 12:42pm On Apr 12
Donsheddy:

Insecurity...
No industry...
No electricity...

Etc....

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nakedman: 12:45pm On Apr 12
FGN bonds successful. 19% for the Next three years. cheesy grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by oluayebenz: 2:02pm On Apr 12
ogawisdom:
Dollar- Naira so someone cannot play with you again

Naira - Play kill you there

grin
grin

Dollar still dey collect daily

In market rate is actually 1,080.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Itsrm(m): 5:17pm On Apr 12
First banks bid was successful at 20% interest rate.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nakedman: 5:34pm On Apr 12
Todays Auction

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 6:20pm On Apr 12
Itsrm:
First banks bid was successful at 20% interest rate.

That's great.

GTB anyone? 🙏

(1) (2) (3) ... (2219) (2220) (2221) (2222) (2223) (2224) (2225) ... (2232) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: GDOGLOBALCONCEP(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.