Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,419 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:27 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (424) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4460771 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (421) (422) (423) (424) (425) (426) (427) ... (2233) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by joseph1013: 2:19pm On Nov 01, 2017
just2endowed:

253days ands 253 days different rate
Edited. Apologies
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sach: 3:45pm On Nov 01, 2017
realjidejamal:
Here is the terms and conditions stated in the proof of payment given to me.
From my little experience, you can't tell until you get to the Bank. When I wanted to liquidate my tb from Stanbic bank, after about five days (91 days, 13%), I was told that the buy back rate was between 18.5/19% (which could have included some form of penalty). If I had gone for that, I would have lost all interest and principal would still have been greatly reduced. I am presently waiting for 30 days; which would see me have my full principal back and a very marginal (not up to 10%) portion of original interest. This is even assuming nothing has changed negatively (I.e buyback rate, because formula not clear) when I go back after the 30 days.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 5:28pm On Nov 01, 2017
[s]
OAKSFIVEFARMS:
Hello all
We manage Uber cars for people who want to invest in Uber
Our process
*We receive your vehicle

*We interview drivers to partner with your vehicle

*We verify the driver chosen

*We send client copies of driver agreement and verification report

*We handle all issues pertaining to client's investments to ensure profitability 

*We send client remittances weekly.

Call us Today
[/s]

This is a thread for Treasury Bills as you can see. Please create your own thread for your transportation business. Thank you!

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:49pm On Nov 01, 2017
realjidejamal:
Here is the terms and conditions stated in the proof of payment given to me.

Why Union Bank? I also saw withholding tax on the offer letter.
I think your bank scammed you.

Premature termination of Treasury Bills can be done in order to diversify into other juicy investment and not for emergencies..

Instead of investing N1 million and terminate under 2 weeks, don't you think it would have been better if you invested a lesser amount so that you can have funds to take care of emergencies or you have different sources of income if you must invest all the available funds at your disposal.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:22pm On Nov 01, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

Why Union Bank? I also saw withholding tax on the offer letter.
I think your bank scammed you.

Premature termination of Treasury Bills can be done in order to diversify into other juicy investment and not for emergencies..

Instead of investing N1 million and terminate under 2 weeks, don't you think it would have been better if you invested a lesser amount so that you can have funds to take care of emergencies or you have different sources of income if you must invest all the available funds at your disposal.

I understand you bro. You are right about that though but it wasn't planned. This is my 3rd investment with Union Bank. I did 750k in match this year for 183days and it matured October 6th so I added more funds to it and reinvest it for 176days incase i am in need of cast early next year while I still have 306days and 333days with them that's will mature by July and August respectively. I still have the 50k out of the interest paid into my account last week. This need is just Emmergency and it's whole lot that's why I'm consideriig terminating. You have a valid point and I was thinking about it before I invest but I never knew this will happen in just 6days of investing. It's so sad and I'm mad at myself as we speak. I went to the bank today and the guy was surprised and said what you just did last week, but wetin I go do now. He told me to come early tomorrow morning. They deducted #253 for the withholding tax. What do you think the condition is saying pertaining to what I stand to loose?

And also why I chose Union Bank was mainly because I have been banking with them for years and this is also not my first tb. I have been trying to get a valid Id to get open an account with Stanbic and First, I got my temporary driver license just last week and I was at stanbic on Tuesday to open a new one after none of my Id is working, but they guy told me they can't and if they used it to open an account for me the limit will be 100k and I told him I'm opening this account mainly because of tb so he urge me to go and get international passport which I know will cost me another 20k after spending 18k on a new driver license. So I decided to settle for my bank since the rate is still reasonable a lil. That's my story oo. I will go tomorrow sha cos I went there late today.

Sorry to bore you with my long epistle it's just crazy

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CallofDuty(m): 9:01pm On Nov 01, 2017
realjidejamal:

your money is your money man..if u like buy am now and teminate am immediately..it's still ur money..nobody has the right to question u..love this thread..I've learnt so much.. will start first with stanbic mmf den finally upgrade to stanbic secondary NTB..

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by beyolah: 9:46pm On Nov 01, 2017
realjidejamal:

I understand you bro. You are right about that though but it wasn't planned. This is my 3rd investment with Union Bank. I did 750k in match this year for 183days and it matured October 6th so I added more funds to it and reinvest it for 176days incase i am in need of cast early next year while I still have 306days and 333days with them that's will mature by July and August respectively. I still have the 50k out of the interest paid into my account last week. This need is just Emmergency and it's whole lot that's why I'm consideriig terminating. You have a valid point and I was thinking about it before I invest but I never knew this will happen in just 6days of investing. It's so sad and I'm mad at myself as we speak. I went to the bank today and the guy was surprised and said what you just did last week, but wetin I go do now. He told me to come early tomorrow morning. They deducted #253 for the withholding tax. What do you think the condition is saying pertaining to what I stand to loose?

And also why I chose Union Bank was mainly because I have been banking with them for years and this is also not my first tb. I have been trying to get a valid Id to get open an account with Stanbic and First, I got my temporary driver license just last week and I was at stanbic on Tuesday to open a new one after none of my Id is working, but they guy told me they can't and if they used it to open an account for me the limit will be 100k and I told him I'm opening this account mainly because of tb so he urge me to go and get international passport which I know will cost me another 20k after spending 18k on a new driver license. So I decided to settle for my bank since the rate is still reasonable a lil. That's my story oo. I will go tomorrow sha cos I went there late today.

What would be the cost of liquidating the one of July or August [i.e if the amount is up to what you need] ?
Compare and see which you prefer.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yemioke: 10:05pm On Nov 01, 2017
please somebody help, if i invest 2m at the rate 16%, for 365days, what will be my ROI.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 11:28pm On Nov 01, 2017
dotcomnamename:

In that case if that is what the bank told you, then 25% of N68,000 is N17,000. Which means if you terminate your investment before maturity date you will only earn N17,000 as profit excluding your capital. I stand to be corrected by other TB gurus! All the best!

No no no sir.
I beg to disagree with you.
According to the agreement he had with Union bank, he will LOSE 25%(N17,000) and not earn only (N17,000)25% apart from other little sundry charges as penalty.
He will also be debited for the excess interest he was paid up front which amounts to about N65,681.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sammily(m): 11:42pm On Nov 01, 2017
yemioke:
please somebody help, if i invest 2m at the rate 16%, for 365days, what will be my ROI.

Your interest will be approximately N320,000 (excluding charges).
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 12:11am On Nov 02, 2017
realjidejamal:

I really understand your plight.
I have responded that what is written in the agreement is that you will lose 25% of the interest you already collected which is 25% of the N68,000 that was paid to you upfront. i.e only N17,000.

You will also have to pay back the interest you earned for the 176-6days which you were paid believing that you won't terminate it until maturity and that is: N68,000×170/176 = N65,681.81

Apart from that, they will also deduct little sundry charges which I think won't be up to N10,000

Balance that will be paid to you out of your N980,000 = N{980,000- 17,000-65,681.81-(let's say 10,000)-253 (withholding tax} = about N887,065.

You are therefore likely to lose about N92,253 or there about for terminating it after 6days.

BUT your net loss is actually N92,253 - N68,000(which was paid to you upfront)= N24,253

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:14am On Nov 02, 2017
beyolah:

What would be the cost of liquidating the one of July or August [i.e if the amount is up to what you need] ?
Compare and see which you prefer.

I thought of this too bro but the interest earned on them was pretty much. 90k and 120k, and they are both like 2 months old. I did one August 11&30 for 300 and 323 days respectively. I think my loss will be much on any of them than the 6days old investment. Dunno if I am right sha
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 4:20am On Nov 02, 2017
TONY56:

I have responded that what is written in the agreement is that you will lose 25% of the interest you already collected which is 25% of the N68,000 that was paid to you upfront. i.e only N17,000.

You will also have to pay back the interest you earned for the 176-6days which you were paid believing that you won't terminate it until maturity and that is: N68,000×170/176 = N65,681.81

Apart from that, they will also deduct little sundry charges which I think won't be up to N10,000

Balance that will be paid to you out of your N980,000 = N{980,000- 17,000-65,681.81-(let's say 10,000)-253 (withholding tax} = about N887,065.

You are therefore likely to lose about N92,253 or there about for terminating it after 6days.

BUT your net loss is actually N92,253 - N68,000(which was paid to you upfront)= N24,253
65,681.81 from where?

he got 68,000 interest..
they say 25% FLAT CHARGE on INTEREST EARNED.

No LOSS here.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:58am On Nov 02, 2017
TONY56:

Thank you so much! Well detailed. #887,065 + #68,000(interest earned) = 955,065

#980,000 - 955,065 = #24, 935(Loss)

Wow so I should have it at the back of my mind I will be loosing almost 30k. Chai

I'm thinking what if I liquidate part of the funds because the condition also says ( part liquidation and or maturity of the investment invalidate the certificate) so I guess part liquidation is possible? e.g requesting for 150k out of the 980k.

Or approach the bank for a loan using one of my tb proof as collateral, if the interest won't be too much?

Also,
maybe liquidate one of my other tb that is still like 60 and 80 days old, cos they are 600k & 850k, which they will both mature by July next year.

Just trying to see if I can make use of a better option regarding what I stand to loose.

Finally, I will ask more questions before going ahead tomorrow, because I know I'm definitely paying for not being smart enough.

What do you think and I hope I am making sense sir?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:13am On Nov 02, 2017
RealityShot:

65,681.81 from where?

he got 68,000 interest..

No LOSS here.

You are right on the bolded point above. Banks can be a lil cunning sometimes. I won't know what really hit me until I got the credit alert. How I wish!

I also think they should take only 25% on interest earned, since it was stated as the flat charge. But other charges is what I don't know. Aaargh

Can't even sleep cos I have turned to a mathematician doing stupid calculations, but sadly I still have to terminate it, or go for my other options if that is wise enough.

I can still take the 17k but what if?

Thank you sir!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 6:45am On Nov 02, 2017
realjidejamal:

You are right on the bolded point above. Banks can be a lil cunning sometimes. I won't know what really hit me until I got the credit alert. How I wish!

I also think they should take only 25% on interest earned, since it was stated as the flat charge. But other charges is what I don't know. Aaargh

Can't even sleep cos I have turned to a mathematician doing stupid calculations, but sadly I still have to terminate it, or go for my other options if that is wise enough.

I can still take the 17k but what if?

Thank you sir!

If this your TB is sold back @ the same 14% bought you will not loose money..
Look @ it this way.. You said the upfront given to you is still in your account...So wen sold and added your money will be complete.
The penal charge is 25% of the interest...forget about the total days of 176 you apply you have just invested for 6-7 so interest should be calculated base on that not on the whole 176 day.

Infact you should av some small change on top except the commission, transaction charge, VAT on commission & withholding tax consume am.

However, if your bank decides to sell to other customers or buy from you @ a rate more than was sold to you like say 15-16% then you may loose some amount.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:06am On Nov 02, 2017
RealityShot:

65,681.81 from where?

he got 68,000 interest..

No LOSS here.

He will lose, apart from the fine. He would also lose the interest earned which would prorated for the 7 days he invested rather than the initial 170 days or thereabout which he signed for.

His bank also charged him withholding tax on Treasury Bills, apart from Union Bank, which other Bank does that? Maybe I am missing something.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:14am On Nov 02, 2017
freeman67:

If this your TB is sold back @ the same 14% bought you will not loose money..
Look @ it this way.. You said the upfront given to you is still in your account...So wen sold and added your money will be complete.
The penal charge is 25% of the interest...forget about the total days of 176 you apply you have just invested for 6-7 so interest should be calculated base on that not on the whole 176 day.

Infact you should av some small change on top except the commission, transaction charge, VAT on commission & withholding tax consume am.

However, if your bank decides to sell to other customers or buy from you @ a rate more than was sold to you like say 15-16% then you may loose some amount.

He can't have small change, the interest he would have earned for the 6 days can never be up to 15k. The bank will prorate and debit whatever he earned based on the fact that they believed the investment will run till maturity from what they will pay him.

If not anybody will invest a million for 364 days at 16%. Earning 160k and then terminate after 6 days and lose just 40k which happens to be the 25% of the upfront interest.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 10:53am On Nov 02, 2017
TREASURY BILL AUCTION 1/11/2017

91 DAYS ----13.1%

182 DAYS -----15.20%

364 DAYS -----15.6%

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 11:35am On Nov 02, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

He can't have small change, the interest he would have earned for the 6 days can never be up to 15k. The bank will prorate and debit whatever he earned based on the fact that they believed the investment will run till maturity from what they will pay him.

If not anybody will invest a million for 364 days at 16%. Earning 160k and then terminate after 6 days and lose just 40k which happens to be the 25% of the upfront interest.

Sir, I am talking from the belief that the upfront paid will still form part of his principal when returned because he said he still has it in his account...

His interest for 6 days should be around 2261@ 14% assuming the money is still whole.. The deduction of penal charges should be around 565, withholding tax of 285, I don't know what was charged on commission and transaction fee..but @ the end if it is sold back for @14% he should have @ least about 1k ...that one na change.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by MOM1(m): 11:38am On Nov 02, 2017
feelamong:

91 DAYS ----13.1%

182 DAYS -----15.20%

364 DAYS -----15.6%

which bank?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 11:52am On Nov 02, 2017
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:03pm On Nov 02, 2017
Just got 56 days at 16% from First Bank.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Zeiya(f): 3:08pm On Nov 02, 2017
Very good rate

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 4:39pm On Nov 02, 2017
emmanuelewumi:
Just got 56 days at 16% from First Bank.

Oga Emma, just one question. In case one has up to N50m and one needs to participate in the next auction, and you think you can get a better rate, with whom can one negotiate? With your bank?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:53pm On Nov 02, 2017
Investnow2017:

Oga Emma, just one question. In case one has up to N50m and one needs to participate in the next auction, and you think you can get a better rate, with whom can one negotiate? With your bank?

Try Stanbic, my bank ie First Bank does not allow one to determine his or her rate. But there rates are not bad.

Instead of my matured Treasury Bills to be in my account pending the time Lafarge WAPCO and Flour Mills right offer come up, I decided to make the money work hard for another 56 days.

One may still get the spillover of what I bought, because as at the time I bought from the secondary market over N500 million worth was available.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ehay(f): 5:30pm On Nov 02, 2017
realjidejamal:

pls try first bank. they shld accept your temp drivers license.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 7:00pm On Nov 02, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

He will lose, apart from the fine. He would also lose the interest earned which would prorated for the 7 days he invested rather than the initial 170 days or thereabout which he signed for.

His bank also charged him withholding tax on Treasury Bills, apart from Union Bank, which other Bank does that? Maybe I am missing something.
i think so Sir..

it is clearly written that if he breaks his commitment in less than the stated time,

he will loose 25% of the interest he has earned so far..

so now that he has earned for only 7days out of 176days for which he got 68,000..
his total earnings is actually 2,704

therefore he will loose only 676 from the interest earned.

add the tax and its 929 only still gives a net profit of 1774

his capital WILL NOT BE TOUCHED..
therefore, NO LOSS.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Magnifico2000: 7:16pm On Nov 02, 2017
feelamong:

91 DAYS ----13.1%

182 DAYS -----15.20%

364 DAYS -----15.6%

The rates are really going down or is it me that have't been following the recent trends on treasury bills?

I did 2 separate bills around july for 83 and 76days tenor respectively. The rates were around 15%. Although there was a time i saw that particular tenor around 16% but i felt the rates were still going to increase but I guess i was wrong. Thank God i eventually made up my mind to go with the 15% rate.

These are my questions.

1. What could have caused the decline in the rates of NTB?
2. Can it (the rates) go up again in the nearest future and how soon?

Thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by JBM: 10:59pm On Nov 02, 2017
Hello house,

How do I buy a treasury bill if there is no branch of my bank close to me and what is the minimum tenure?

Thank you
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 11:01pm On Nov 02, 2017

(1) (2) (3) ... (421) (422) (423) (424) (425) (426) (427) ... (2233) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Odunharry(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.