Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (422) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4433239 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (419) (420) (421) (422) (423) (424) (425) ... (2228) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nennin(m): 8:46am On Oct 29, 2017
please house, is the investment period/days includ weekend?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by festobit: 2:56pm On Oct 29, 2017
I visited a FirstBank branch close to me to do treasury bill

I filled two forms for tbill
One for 180 days and the other 91 days.

After three days my account was deducted but the interest rate was not paid to my account as they deducted the full money.

It's almost two weeks now and I have been going to the bank, they are yet to credit me with the interest neither did they send me any email regarding the tbill I did.

I was still there on Friday and they said they would put up a memo on it.

Please is this normal or is there a fraud case here. Being a newbie, I am counting on your experience to know what to do.

I don't even know what the interest rate is or even the maturity date. I don't have any information as regards the transaction. I only know my account was deducted.

I await your urgent responses.

Thank you
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by maryjay99: 3:12pm On Oct 29, 2017
Yes it was deducted
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 3:19pm On Oct 29, 2017
festobit:

I visited a FirstBank branch close to me to do treasury bill

I filled two forms for tbill
One for 180 days and the other 91 days.

After three days my account was deducted but the interest rate was not paid to my account as they deducted the full money.

It's almost two weeks now and I have been going to the bank, they are yet to credit me with the interest neither did they send me any email regarding the tbill I did.

I was still there on Friday and they said they would put up a memo on it.

Please is this normal or is there a fraud case here. Being a newbie, I am counting on your experience to know what to do.

I don't even know what the interest rate is or even the maturity date. I don't have any information as regards the transaction. I only know my account was deducted.

I await your urgent responses.

Thank you

What you should do is visit the bank and go directly to Officer that attended to you. Before going be sure of the date you made the investment...if you do not remember the date just check either you mobile app for your statement or request for your statement at the bank from the period you made the investment. I believe you should also know whether it is primary or secondary you invested in.

With that, just go to him/her and request for your proof of investment.. A certificate that carries the details of your investment.( you will be asked of your name, account no, amount invested and most likely whether its primary or secondary market)

About your interest not being paid upfront, that is dependent on the option you choose on the form when filling it. It is possible you chose the invest capital with interest option or they made a mistake and invested it for you that way. However you could also check your balance to see if its there because first bank most times drop interest without alert.

I believe this will help you.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tmod: 5:08pm On Oct 29, 2017
Hello, pls what's the difference between primary investment and secondary investment. Am thinking king of walking into the bank tomorrow for treasury bills.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 7:45pm On Oct 29, 2017
tmod:
Hello, pls what's the difference between primary investment and secondary investment. Am thinking king of walking into the bank tomorrow for treasury bills.

Treasury Bills PRIMARY MARKET is a market where new issues of securities are available for sale. The market for new issues in all government securities is the Issues Office, Central Bank of Nigeria.

Treasury Bills SECONDARY MARKET is the market for the trading of previously issued securities. Hence, tenors of the securities traded are shorter than the original tenors. In the case of treasury bills and treasury certificates which are money market instruments, the market is within and outside the Central Bank of Nigeria. The market in the CBN is located at the Securities Dealing Office and Settlement and Control Office, while the outside markets include Banks, Discount Houses, and Stock - Brokers. Transactions in development stocks in the secondary market are undertaken in Internal Funds Office, Banking Operations Department of the Central Bank of Nigeria through an appointed licensed stock - broker on the Nigerian Stock Exchange. While transactions in the FGN Bonds in the secondary market are to be undertaken on the floor of The Nigerian Stock Exchange through licensed Stock Brokers while Issue Office of Monetary Policy Implementation Divison of CBN serves as the Registrar to the issue.

In summary, you can buy Treasury bills with less than N50 million from the Primary Market, but not at your bid rate like. You'll have to submit your bid without a rate in total submission to the bank rate.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 10:49pm On Oct 29, 2017
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by festobit: 11:08pm On Oct 29, 2017
freeman67:

What you should do is visit the bank and go directly to Officer that attended to you. Before going be sure of the date you made the investment...if you do not remember the date just check either you mobile app for your statement or request for your statement at the bank from the period you made the investment. I believe you should also know whether it is primary or secondary you invested in.

With that, just go to him/her and request for your proof of investment.. A certificate that carries the details of your investment.( you will be asked of your name, account no, amount invested and most likely whether its primary or secondary market)

About your interest not being paid upfront, that is dependent on the option you choose on the form when filling it. It is possible you chose the invest capital with interest option or they made a mistake and invested it for you that way. However you could also check your balance to see if its there because first bank most times drop interest without alert.

I believe this will help you.

Thank you for your help.

I actually applied for Primary and asked that my interest be paid upfront when filling the form.

I have asked him (I. E. The guy in charge) to give me proof of my investment and he keep saying that he has not been communicated.

My account was debited on the 19th of October 2017 and till now no proof of transaction has been issued to me.

I have sent a legal threat to their head office. I just hope it gets their attention.

But being a newbie in treasury bill, that is why I wanted to ask you experts on nairaland if this issues are normal before I over react.

Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 11:27pm On Oct 29, 2017
festobit:

Thank you for your help.

I actually applied for Primary and asked that my interest be paid upfront when filling the form.

I have asked him (I. E. The guy in charge) to give me proof of my investment and he keep saying that he has not been communicated.

My account was debited on the 19th of October 2017 and till now no proof of transaction has been issued to me.

I have sent a legal threat to their head office. I just hope it gets their attention.

But being a newbie in treasury bill, that is why I wanted to ask you experts on nairaland if this issues are normal before I over react.

Thanks

You do not have to send any legal battle threat to their head office..

Send a mail to firstcontact@firstbanknigeria.com Just narrate all that transpired (let them know the branch and the details of your transaction). After laying your complaint, tell them what you want from your proof of investment to interest upfront.I am sure your issues will be treated.

Make sure you do it very early so that they will see it in time. I am sure before the close of business the guy will called the and resolve everything.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kaze4blues(m): 6:17am On Oct 30, 2017
Can I trade treasury bills on the secondary market for lower tenors such as 30 days?

Is it possible to add to my initial investment on monthly basis in treasury bills?

Kindly help enlighten me.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 6:47am On Oct 30, 2017
kaze4blues:
Can I trade treasury bills on the secondary market for lower tenors such as 30 days?

Is it possible to add to my initial investment on monthly basis in treasury bills?

Kindly help enlighten me.

1. yes....If you are lucky you can get it sometime...

2. I'm not sure..Its somehow stressful and TB investment is not such that is maintained by the banks alone. its easier done that way with mutual funds.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by henrinco(m): 9:59am On Oct 30, 2017
I just got 198 days @ 16.8percent at First bank Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kaze4blues(m): 10:27am On Oct 30, 2017
freeman67:

1. yes....If you are lucky you can get it sometime...

2. I'm not sure..Its somehow stressful and TB investment is not such that is maintained by the banks alone. its easier done that way with mutual funds.

Thank you
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 10:39am On Oct 30, 2017
henrinco:
I just got 198 days @ 16.8percent at First bank Nigeria.

Good one. Guess you were there early enough today cheesy
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:14am On Oct 30, 2017
I think I will have to do like 1m with first BANK for secondary market soon!
Stanbic gave Me 14.02 last month few weeks ago for 91days(primary)
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by hiscules: 12:31pm On Oct 30, 2017
StanbicIBTC secondary market rate today

94days 16.50%
185 days 16.55%
269days 15.40%

Grab your copy now!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 1:02pm On Oct 30, 2017
I have 87 days at 13% in one of my treasury bills, thinking of terminating it, 13% is extremely small?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by rosybabyy: 4:06pm On Oct 30, 2017
hiscules:
StanbicIBTC secondary market rate today

94days 16.50%
185 days 16.55%
269days 15.40%

Grab your copy now!
Got 185@16.55%

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bliss11(m): 4:44pm On Oct 30, 2017
hi. pls I made a secondary bid with UBA bank this morning and up till now I've not heard from my bank, does it mean my bid was not successful?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by opomulero(m): 7:20pm On Oct 30, 2017
Im one of the gretest fan of GTBank.
Now, i owe them no apology, they are saddist infact they are progress stopper , see they are in no way ready to contribute to someones growth.

They dont have products asides FD and TBills
There FD rates is worse
They will ever give you a better rate compared to other banks on TBills.

There mumu officers alwaysbact as if they are doing you a favor.

One thing i now noticed about them now is that if you want to buy TBills in primary market, they wont bid for you, they will bid on secondary market for you so that they can route the money through the securities they are using and they will finish you by giving you ridiculous rates.

Other banks like FCMB, FBN, stanbic, zenith and even skye of all banks do better than that mumu gtbad that calls themselves gtbank.

There service is now generally bad.
Im afraid they might have problem in a very short time.

I hate them with pasion now, they stink.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 7:34pm On Oct 30, 2017
opomulero:
Now, i owe them no apology, they are saddist infact they are progress stopper , see they are in no way ready to contribute to someones growth.

There FD rates is worse

One thing i now noticed about them now is that if you want to buy TBills in primary market, they wont bid for you, they will bid on secondary market for you so that they can route the money through the securities they are using and they will finish you by giving you ridiculous rates.

Other banks like FCMB, FBN, stanbic, zenith and even skye of all banks do better than that mumu gtbad that calls themselves gtbank.

shocked shocked shocked Are you sure with your claim because I am just considering trying GTBank Treasury Bills! shocked
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 7:40pm On Oct 30, 2017
After asking FBN if I can top up existing Treasury Bills, below is their reply.

Good Day Sir,

Apologies for missing out your mail.

Kindly note the options available on your request:

Once existing investment matures, additional funds can be applied

Liquidate investment (penal charges apply) for additional funds to be included at the next available bidding

We require a signed written instruction (letter format) for any of the options.

So, apparently before i can top up Treasury Bills, it is either I wait till my existing Treasury Bills mature or I liquidate and pay penalty charges. Nawa O! shocked
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by hiscules: 8:14pm On Oct 30, 2017
rosybabyy:

Got 185@16.55%
rosybaby u sharp jare
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 8:20pm On Oct 30, 2017
dotcomnamename:

shocked shocked shocked Are you sure with your claim because I am just considering trying GTBank Treasury Bills! shocked

A trial will either convince or confuse you!!!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 9:31pm On Oct 30, 2017
TONY56:

A trial will either convince or confuse you!!!

Hmmm nawa O! shocked
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jstar376(m): 9:35pm On Oct 30, 2017
feelamong:
@Omo Yankee... You can actually buy the Tbills from any Commercial bank, or any Discount House in Nigeria....

The fees are 0.125% of the amount invested. However you should be aware that the effective Yield on Tbills is higher that than the advertised discount rate.....as the yield is discounted upfront. So a 14% yield is effectively about 14.25%...
per month?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by rosybabyy: 10:07pm On Oct 30, 2017
wink
hiscules:
rosybaby u sharp jare
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 10:55pm On Oct 30, 2017
opomulero:

There FD rates is worse

Rule number one: run away from anything "many Nigerians (crowd)" run after. Take note of the word crowd.

Look at the case of GTBank, look at Efe of BBN, look at Buhari, look at TSTV, look at nTEL.

Nigerians will drag you to love a sh!tty and stinky brand out of their desire to overhype mediocrity. I've always known GTB as an overrated piece of sh!t.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Reyus: 3:26am On Oct 31, 2017
dotcomnamename:

I advice you should avoid GTB. They are dubious.
Without my consent, they purposely reinvested my TBills interest they should have paid me upfront.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by opomulero(m): 4:21am On Oct 31, 2017
Reyus:

I advice you should avoid GTB. They are dubious.
Without my consent, they purposely reinvested my TBills interest they should have paid me upfront.

Ohhhh..... Thank God, other people are complaining too.
Just avoid them like plague and go to other banks.

Na beg i dey beg u na o.

Silver or gold i have non, but this i have for you, run away from investing in gtb. ....they are overhyped shit.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by martin123: 6:47am On Oct 31, 2017
Hello house, what is the difference between Primary and Secondary market?? which will you advise me to go for??
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by martin123: 6:48am On Oct 31, 2017
Please what is the current rate as at today

(1) (2) (3) ... (419) (420) (421) (422) (423) (424) (425) ... (2228) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.