Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,604 members, 7,827,270 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:56 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (467) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4455931 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (464) (465) (466) (467) (468) (469) (470) ... (2232) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 8:01pm On Feb 03, 2018
TONY56:

I beg to differ with the interviewee.
I heard him say that "if you bid for TB at 14% and the stop rate is 17%, you will eventually get 17% also.

That is not true. If you are successful, you will get the rate you bidded for. If what he said is true, then why does some banks like Stanbic and First buy at better rates than others?

To me, the man has confused issues about it entirely. CBN mat announce the average rate budded by all the investors but does not sell at average bid rate. You can't ask to buy TB at 10% for example and get it at 9 or 11%.

What he told his viewers on that programme to me is absolutely not correct. I humbly stand to be corrected.

Oh really? Considering the date the video was uploaded in October 2017? I did not even notice! Thanks for letting us know.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:12pm On Feb 03, 2018
Agbaletu:

Honestly, it is not sweet. Anyway, it is still better than to leave it in my savings account. I just have to put in another 8 digits [/b]since I don't need it now. I will try MMF by next month.

[b]99,999,999 NGN
. When you are big, you are large.
Tuale sir.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 12:05am On Feb 04, 2018
TONY56:

I beg to differ with the interviewee.
I heard him say that "if you bid for TB at 14% and the stop rate is 17%, you will eventually get 17% also.

That is not true. If you are successful, you will get the rate you bidded for. If what he said is true, then why does some banks like Stanbic and First buy at better rates than others?

To me, the man has confused issues about it entirely. CBN may announce the average bid rate of all the investors but does not sell at average bid rate. You can't ask to buy TB at 10% for example and get it at 9 or 11%.

What he told his viewers on that programme to me is absolutely not correct. I humbly stand to be corrected.
You're right sir. I guess Ugo got that mixed up with the workings of a bond auction. He carries info about several investment vehicles on his fine head though, so I'll cut him a slack if he mixes things up sometimes.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 6:37am On Feb 04, 2018
Oga Tony you posted a very nice video too. Though Ugo in the first video may not have broken it down completely. In the video you posted the fair CBN lady said there is 'Buy Monthly Auction' and 'Dutch Auction' she only explained Dutch Auction; as the auction where every body gets their bidding rate irrespective of the auctions stop rate. I believe if she had explained the other one you would have seen the angle Ugo came from.

@Oga Aghalee Bank sets their separate rules and the way they do things. For example ; CBN did not set 1M minimum for Fidelity and UBA in TB investment they set it for themselves in a way. Presently CBN approved rate for transfer of funds through ATM is N50 +N2.5 VAT but I used a UBA card for transfers on Jaizbank and I was charged N100 per transfer. These banks can do anything. Those days when retail investors can bid below 50M even if you want to set your own bid rate some banks will still disagree.. Why? Because they won't benefit anything from you that way. So most times even if some banks gets a successful bid at higher they will still give you lower.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Khutie: 8:53am On Feb 04, 2018
TONY56:

I must confess that I have never bought and terminated a TB bought at secondary market before so I don't know if TB purchased at secondary market can be terminated before maturity.
But I am sure that if it's possible to terminate it, same scenario illustrated above will apply
•••What's the difference between primary and secondary market?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 12:00pm On Feb 04, 2018
Khutie:

•••What's the difference between primary and secondary market?

I hope that's not a question meant for me?
If it is, I am sorry that I won't answer it cause it has been answered on this thread more than 50 times so the answer is on the thread and I have posted earlier that I will no longer answer questions that have been answered severally on this thread. The answer is even in the video i posted yesterday.

Please don't feel offended.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 12:16pm On Feb 04, 2018
grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by royalzee: 1:11pm On Feb 04, 2018

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 1:39pm On Feb 04, 2018
freeman67:
Oga Tony you posted a very nice video too. Though Ugo in the first video may not have broken it down completely. In the video you posted the fair CBN lady said there is 'Buy Monthly Auction' and 'Dutch Auction' she only explained Dutch Auction; as the auction where every body gets their bidding rate irrespective of the auctions stop rate. I believe if she had explained the other one you would have seen the angle Ugo came from.

@Oga Aghalee Bank sets their separate rules and the way they do things. For example ; CBN did not set 1M minimum for Fidelity and UBA in TB investment they set it for themselves in a way. Presently CBN approved rate for transfer of funds through ATM is N50 +N2.5 VAT but I used a UBA card for transfers on Jaizbank and I was charged N100 per transfer. These banks can do anything. Those days when retail investors can bid below 50M even if you want to set your own bid rate some banks will still disagree.. Why? Because they won't benefit anything from you that way. So most times even if some banks gets a successful bid at higher they will still give you lower.

grin grin grin
There is nothing like "Buy monthly auction" in Treasury Bills anywhere in the whole wide world. I guess you didn't hear her properly. She said "Treasury Bills is a Bi-monthly and a Dutch Auction".

Meaning that Treasury Bills takes place twice a month and also that the type of auction used is the Dutch auction type. And that's what is done all over the world. There is only one type of Treasury Bills auction all over the world.
If just Google or check dictionary for ĺ"Treasury Bills" that's the basic thing you will see. You will never read that there is more than one way of its auction.

So there is no hiding place for the blunders made by the interviewee in the first video. I am sorry to say that he shouldn't have been brought to come and do that programme in the first instant. There are more than 30 gurus(I am not one of the gurus pls cause I started learning on this thread barely two years ago and I am still learning) on this thread that would have done good justice to the questions he was asked. I don't know if you saw the 2nd part of that programme where he made calculations on the board and calculated N2,500/3 to be N420-terrible!!!

So my brother, it was simply a very bad video that shouldn't have been posted on this thread because unsuspecting people and especially newbies would be terribly misinformed. You can see that after watching it, some people started reacting to it as "This is nice" without realising that it's not nice.

I am very critical of the video because I always ask people to learn to read from this thread to get good informations rather than asking already answered questions and such videos if good would be of good benefit to them. I thank God that after searching for a better video to replace the first one, I was able to get the one I posted yesterday which clearly explained it as it is.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 1:59pm On Feb 04, 2018
See where he calculated 2,500 to be approximately 420

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 2:01pm On Feb 04, 2018
royalzee:

Nice Video....Below is a link for the continuation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIoB1Zcl1Mw

Thanks and God bless you for posting the continuation of the first video for people to see what I was writing about
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 2:39pm On Feb 04, 2018
@Tony Thanks had to look it up thoroughly in investopedia.com after reading your post.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 4:02pm On Feb 04, 2018
freeman67:
@Tony Thanks had to look it up thoroughly in investopedia.com after reading your post.

You are welcome sir.
We all learn everyday.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by U1(m): 10:26pm On Feb 04, 2018
Hello. Could someone confirm if there will be auction this week? Thanks!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yinka2011: 10:33pm On Feb 04, 2018
U1:
Hello. Could someone confirm if there will be auction this week? Thanks!

no not this week. we just had one on wednesday.

next auction (primary i.e) will be on 14th valentine day.

stock market will bleed hard that day....the top guru told me.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 2:00am On Feb 05, 2018
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by U1(m): 7:26am On Feb 05, 2018
yinka2011:

Thank you.

Too bad I kinda miscalculated. Thought I saw on a calendar that it would be this week. My mistake. To think I have been waiting since January 25.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nonnycn12: 8:56am On Feb 05, 2018
Gmorn peeps. Pls could someone help me out here

Went to FBN on weds for TB purchase and after going thru the available rates settled for 240 @13.5%. Unlike other times, there was no deduction that day till d ff day.
On Fri, i went to pick my proof of transaction, I saw 239@13.2%.. the 239 days i understand based on the explanation they gave as they could not process the transaction bc of netwk, but the 13.2% shortfall, i cant understand since its same tenor and rate. I asked why they did not call or text since ther was a change, they were just sorry. I kind of perceive foul play.
Gurus in d house, could u help me plsss.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by meetchandus(m): 11:59am On Feb 05, 2018
yinka2011:

Hello please what exactly do you mean by saying the stock market will bleed hard that day and how is it connected with the primary auction for that day.Will appreciate if you expantiate
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 2:00pm On Feb 05, 2018
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 6:18pm On Feb 05, 2018
nonnycn12:
Gmorn peeps. Pls could someone help me out here

Went to FBN on weds for TB purchase and after going thru the available rates settled for 240 @13.5%. Unlike other times, there was no deduction that day till d ff day.
On Fri, i went to pick my proof of transaction, I saw 239@13.2%.. the 239 days i understand based on the explanation they gave as they could not process the transaction bc of netwk, but the 13.2% shortfall, i cant understand since its same tenor and rate. I asked why they did not call or text since ther was a change, they were just sorry. I kind of perceive foul play.
Gurus in d house, could u help me plsss.

The person that attended to you probably forgot to treat it the day you made the request and the rate changed the next day.. Rates are not set by local branches.. Its either you take his or her apology and move on or you take it up.. But I guess it just human error.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nennin(m): 7:25pm On Feb 05, 2018
[quote author=TONY56 post=64777609]See where he calculated 2,500 to be approximately 420[/p hi quote]please am confused here how can 9% of 100k bring 2500 instead of 9k as 9% of 100k, please can someone clarify me on this.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 7:59pm On Feb 05, 2018
[quote author=nennin post=64815631][/quote]m

It's obvious that you didn't watch the said 2nd part of the video. He mentioned 10% of N100,000 and not 9%.
10% of N100,000 i's N10,000 (for 364-day tenor). So for a 91-day tenor he was talking about, the interest is N10,000/4 = N2,500. For 30-day tenor, it should have been 2500/3 = N833.33 instead of the N420 that he got
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by fickyola(m): 9:18pm On Feb 05, 2018
I am TB investor, my due date for my 1year plan is 28/Feb and I wish to re invest which I did not thick in during the previous bidding and​ I don't wish to stay for two additional weeks, how do I go about it?
Secondly, I wish to change my bank from GTB to first Bank. Hope this will make sense? I would like anyone​ to​ put me through.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nennin(m): 9:25pm On Feb 05, 2018
TONY56:
m

It's obvious that you didn't watch the said 2nd part of the video. He mentioned 10% of N100,000 and not 9%.
10% of N100,000 i's N10,000 (for 364-day tenor). So for a 91-day tenor he was talking about, the interest is N10,000/4 = N2,500. For 30-day tenor, it should have been 2500/3 = N83.33 instead of the N420 that he got
please sorry for spamming the thread why not go for fixed deposit? Because i had some banks give up to %4.5 per month.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zinaunreal(m): 10:46pm On Feb 05, 2018
TONY56:

I hope that's not a question meant for me?
If it is, I am sorry that I won't answer it cause it has been answered on this thread more than 50 times so the answer is on the thread and I have posted earlier that I will no longer answer questions that have been answered severally on this thread. The answer is even in the video i posted yesterday.

Please don't feel offended.
grin grin grin grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 11:04pm On Feb 05, 2018
TONY56:

THE ABOVE VIDEO IS NOT NICE AT ALL PLEASE!!!

People, especially newbies who don't really understand how Treasury Bills work should please throw the above video into the trash because it's a misleading interview as I have already posted earlier.

Even in the follow up or second part of that interview, the interviewee was calculating N2,500/3 to be equal to N450. Can you imagine?

I have painstakingly looked for a better video in its place that will explain Treasury Bill better to everyone
Please find it below and compare with the one above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2vAnm6sEWM

I like this one better, with the busty presenter. Keep your vaseline and tissue paper handy. wink
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nowayo4Real: 11:56pm On Feb 05, 2018
TONY56:
m

10% of N100,000 i's N10,000 (for 364-day tenor). So for a 91-day tenor he was talking about, the interest is N10,000/4 = N2,500. For 30-day tenor, it should have been 2500/3 = N83.33 instead of the N420 that he got
2500/3 =833.33..., and not 83.33

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Kemade2007(f): 11:57pm On Feb 05, 2018
fickyola:
I am TB investor, my due date for my 1year plan is 28/Feb and I wish to re invest which I did not thick in during the previous bidding and​ I don't wish to stay for two additional weeks, how do I go about it?
Secondly, I wish to change my bank from GTB to first Bank. Hope this will make sense? I would like anyone​ to​ put me through.

Open an account with first bank if you don't have one, transfer your fund and go for secondary market
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 3:35am On Feb 06, 2018
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 6:01am On Feb 06, 2018
Nowayo4Real:

2500/3 =833.33..., and not 83.33

Oh yes. You are right.
It's 833.33. It's was a slip.
My apologies to all.

I will edit it accordingly
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 6:21am On Feb 06, 2018
nennin:
please sorry for spamming the thread why not go for fixed deposit? Because i had some banks give up to %4.5 per month.

When you're told that interest rate is 4.5% per month, it doesn't mean that if you put N1,000,000 there, you'll get N1,000,000 × 4.5/100 = N45,000 as interest.

No. All interest rates are expressed as such but for one year. So, if you put N1,000,000 in that bank for one month at 4.5%, don't be surprised that what you will get will be N1,000,000 × 4.5/100 × 1/12 = N3,750 and not N45,000.
If it's a bank, that's what they mean.

However I may not be able to say the same for some of these Finance houses and Micro finance banks whose risks are almost up to 95% compared with TB that is 99.99% risk free.

So the choice is absolutely yours but for me that have zero appetite for risk, I will always go for TB no matter the rate because I like to sleep always with both eyes closed

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (464) (465) (466) (467) (468) (469) (470) ... (2232) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Rizin, MonsieurCoder and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.