Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,823 members, 7,844,663 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (470) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4479230 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (467) (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) ... (2237) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 4:10pm On Feb 09, 2018
GODAKPAN:
Is it possible for tbills to end, meaning cbn stops issuing. I have a 15year plan and wouldn't like it truncated. I invest all my salary in tbills and want to do it for the next 14yrs and retire. Before now I was into real estate, don't want to regret stopping construction. Thanks

You are lucky that I don't have your full name and where you work.

You are inadvertently telling us that you are getting side kicks or have double loyalty to your employers.

I would have called in the EFCC grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 4:19pm On Feb 09, 2018
lancee:

Alikote/ Mr Tony etc , does that mean there is no T-bills next week ?
About to subscribe

That's the calendar for you

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 4:24pm On Feb 09, 2018
TONY56:

That's the calendar for you

Thanks seen it ...Just flipped thru the past pages and saw it now
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 5:06pm On Feb 09, 2018
TONY56:

You are inadvertently telling us that you are getting side kicks or have double loyalty to your employers.

Shebi na court EFCC go carry person go. Once dem carry you go court, just appear in the court on a stretcher in an ambulance. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by elpiro: 5:28pm On Feb 09, 2018
NL1960:

Shebi na court EFCC go carry person go. Once dem carry you go court, just appear in the court on a stretcher in an ambulance. grin grin grin
grin[quote author=NL1960 post=64924612]

or beta still feign heart disease like one of our dear "uncle"
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Kolping: 6:04pm On Feb 09, 2018
Hello All,

Does anyone know how to invest in the Nigerian Eurobonds?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 6:25pm On Feb 09, 2018
Alikote:
they have even approved 2.5 bn dollar that 800 bn to redeem some tb so no roll over

Bia......bia.....bia.....@alikote what are u trying to mean. Hope ......infact .......its not possible......

Pls be explicit ,let me not come and go and vex for u.

I must chop this 13.5% before any further nonsense.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:56pm On Feb 09, 2018
zamirikpo:

Bia......bia.....bia.....@alikote what are u trying to mean. Hope ......infact .......its not possible......

Pls be explicit ,let me not come and go and vex for u.

I must chop this 13.5% before any further nonsense.
since u be pal i go explain ...he govt will use the 2.5 bn euro to offset some naira tb like last dec they use 500 m euro to pay up december so no new auction. for 2018 if the use the 2.5 bn all to pay naira tb it mean it will reduce the amount offered by 800 bn the we conpet for the rest with banks, fpi pension funds etc effect rate will go down then bank will leave to loan out money to trader and companies @ 20 ...if crude price go down the fpi will run away and allow us bk to 18 it may be like 4 years again when electric car done full markets for now with buhari and emefele with 42 billion dollar and 65 dollar crude na 12-13
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 7:28pm On Feb 09, 2018
Alikote:
since u be pal i go explain ...he govt will use the 2.5 bn euro to offset some naira tb like last dec they use 500 m euro to pay up december so no new auction. for 2018 if the use the 2.5 bn all to pay naira tb it mean it will reduce the amount offered by 800 bn the we conpet for the rest with banks, fpi pension funds etc effect rate will go down then bank will leave to loan out money to trader and companies @ 20 ...if crude price go down the fpi will run away and allow us bk to 18 it may be like 4 years again when electric car done full markets for now with buhari and emefele with 42 billion dollar and 65 dollar crude na 12-13

Thanks man.

Ok....but by next auctions I will still get at least 13.5% abi.

Before any other permutation .....adition or subtraction
Half bread is better than butter. grin grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:09pm On Feb 09, 2018
TONY56:

big bros, not like that ooooooo. I and my wife have decided to cut down to allow us invest for the future. after first two years we will be able to live our normal life and still save as plan because of the interest to be derive from our investment that must have been triple by then. unfortunately, I started last year but thanks to you guys. no regrets whatsoever
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:16pm On Feb 09, 2018
Acidosis:

Not a very good decision. To invest your 14 years salary, it means you would continue to monitor Tbill auction dates for the next 14 years. It means you would continue to visit the bank to request for Tbill form every month over the period of 14 years.

Some months, you would miss out either due to negligence from your path or your bank. Some months, your bank will bid above CBN rate.

Unless you can receive your 14 years salary upfront, it's going to be a very tedious and rigorous process. Note that, there is no 14 years plan for Tbill investment. Max is a year, so it takes real discipline and dedication to stick to plan.

As for the possibility of Tbill crashing, well nothing is impossible but it remains one of the safest. Real estate doesn't even come close in terms of safety and security, seeing the rate at which Lagos state & other state govts demolish and lay claims on properties. Real estate may show higher returns, but it doesn't guarantee safety.

Thanks, av been doing this for a year now, my calendar year starts in june, after june I used secondary market to make sure that all the tbills terminate at may ending so I invest the chunk in june. I always have 2 weeks in a month away from work. I used that time off work for that. since its more of a savings to me, I don't mind both markets. so far am fine. am seeing the future very bright only if tbills continue
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:19pm On Feb 09, 2018
wura2020:

How do you invest all your salary on Treasury Bills. You no de eat or pay house rent?

I use the upfront interest for my run arounds. I own my house. my family feeding is settled, school fees are upfront when I collect interest from lump sum. every other thing is on standby

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ibukun003(m): 8:33pm On Feb 09, 2018
GODAKPAN:

I use the upfront interest for my run arounds. I own my house. my family feeding is settled, school fees are upfront when I collect interest from lump sum. every other thing is on standby
This is cool...you must have been saving or investing in T.Bills for a long while...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:39pm On Feb 09, 2018
Ibukun003:

This is cool...you must have been saving or investing in T.Bills for a long while...

started last year after waiting for over a year for building authority to approve my next building but as usual they insisted on bribes, during the period I learnt about tbills and diverted every thing to tbills, today am planning to sell the site and invest in tbills. last week the lady called and I informed her that am not interested and am selling site , I have decided to build in my village. she was shocked.

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mamateniola1: 6:01am On Feb 10, 2018
Goodmorn. Pls I want to start the TB, is there a particular good bank that you guys can recommend? I wanted to do fix deposit before until I stumbled on this thread. Thank you
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 7:24am On Feb 10, 2018
mamateniola1:
Goodmorn. Pls I want to start the TB, is there a particular good bank that you guys can recommend? I wanted to do fix deposit before until I stumbled on this thread. Thank you
FIRST BANK and STANBIC IBTC
are mostly recommended.
minimum 100k at both

have fun
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:58am On Feb 10, 2018
mamateniola1:

First bank for secondary market and stanbic for primary. That is the little I know. godanie06677@yahoo.com
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by haibe(m): 1:26pm On Feb 10, 2018
GODAKPAN:

First bank for secondary market and stanbic for primary. That is the little I know. godanie06677@yahoo.com

Hi bro. Can u educate me a bit?

In the primary market, you auction for the t bills in a bank?

Once the auction day has passed and you still want to buy t bills, that market is a secondary market?

And the interest is lower if you buy at the secondary market right (compared to if you bought at day 1 in the primary market)

Is there any criteria before you can auction for t bills?

Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Viqtour(m): 5:31am On Feb 11, 2018
Hello MR TONY56
I did my first ntb at the beginning of the year for 91 days(FBN) with my personal savings and got interest paid upfront. However, my mum kinda keeps money with me and I'm looking at putting it in ntb but I don't know the procedure to withdraw at any stage in case of emergency.
NB it should be the primary market because I don't understand the secondary market rate. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:41am On Feb 11, 2018
haibe:

Hi bro. Can u educate me a bit?

In the primary market, you auction for the t bills in a bank?

Once the auction day has passed and you still want to buy t bills, that market is a secondary market?

And the interest is lower if you buy at the secondary market right (compared to if you bought at day 1 in the primary market)

Is there any criteria before you can auction for t bills?

Thanks

primary market you have only three tenure being 91, 182 and 364 days while in secondary market you can find any other days depending on availability.
using your simple interest formula, interest is the same but its always guided by the rate you get and the time. basically, both market are almost the same. I do more of secondary market since I invest monthly. I do primary market june-364, December-182, and February-91: terminating all investment for the calendar year by june. every other month end I search for the corresponding day at the secondary market.
caveat emptor --- am not a pro in tbills oooooo, you better read this thread over from page one.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by classy90: 8:50am On Feb 11, 2018
A brother of mine who had up-to 5m in his account is thinking on how best to invest that money.....I personally told him to invest like 2 to 3m on money market and invest the remaining 2m on his business but he's to invest whole money on a buying and selling business.....please somebody should talk to me on how best to advice him or did I advice him wrongly.....

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 10:07am On Feb 11, 2018
classy90:
A brother of mine who had up-to 5m in his account is thinking on how best to invest that money.....I personally told him to invest like 2 to 3m on money market and invest the remaining 2m on his business but he's to invest whole money on a buying and selling business.....please somebody should talk to me on how best to advice him or did I advice him wrongly.....

I feel he is looking at it from the angle of the higher the risk, the higher the reward not considering the higher loss too if table should turn. Your advice to him is very sound except he has other funds somewhere as backup/reserve or he is well grounded in the aspect of buying and selling he intends to invest that is 90% sure of returns after investing, if not, it not wise to put all eggs in one basket for just a kick and fall of that basket alone may render the whole eggs in it uneatable.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by classy90: 1:17pm On Feb 11, 2018
I feel he is looking at it from the angle of the higher the risk, the higher the reward not considering the higher loss too if table should turn. Your advice to him is very sound except he has other funds somewhere as backup/reserve or he is well grounded in the aspect of buying and selling he intends to invest that is 90% sure of returns after investing, if not, it not wise to put all eggs in one basket for just a kick and fall of that basket alone may render the whole eggs in it..........

Thank you so much for rending a voice......God bless you real Good.......I expect to here more from people......
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 3:28pm On Feb 11, 2018
Viqtour:
Hello MR TONY56
I did my first ntb at the beginning of the year for 91 days(FBN) with my personal savings and got interest paid upfront. However, my mum kinda keeps money with me and I'm looking at putting it in ntb but I don't know the procedure to withdraw at any stage in case of emergency.
NB it should be the primary market because I don't understand the secondary market rate. Thanks

The first thing you should do is not "to learn how to withdraw at any stage in case of emergency".

First of all, you should find out when your mum is likely to ask for the money and better still, let her know that you want to use the money to invest in TB.

Treasury Bills are risk free but you would be taking a risk of probably losing part of your investments if by the time you want to terminate it, a TB you bought at say 12% has moved northwards to say 18% and there's the likelihood that you would have spent the upfront interest you received.

Having said that, there's no big deal about termination of Treasury Bills. All you need do is get back to the Branch of the bank you did the investment and inform the TB officer of your intentions.
It's their duty to work out what they feel is the secondary market rate as at that time and you will be so advised. But if you want to dictate your rate of selling, your TB will be on offer till whenever you can get a buyer. The higher the rate above the prevailing Primary market rate, the better your chances of getting buyer or else, your TB will continue to be on offer while you are eager to sell.

TB termination is not something you get to the bank today and hope to get sold that day. It depends on when you get a buyer and at the end of the day, you will also be debited with some transaction charges that is not really big. But as information has reached us about UBN on this thread, if your investment was with them, apart from the transaction charges, you will also be debited by 25% of the upfront interest you received initially.

Note also that if for example you bought at 12% for 91days and you now need to sell at say 18%, after only 30days, you are selling at a loss of 6%, and your account will also be debited with the excess upfront interest you received for 91days instead of 30days i.e you will pay back 2/3 of the upfront interest you received.

So these are all you need to consider before locking in money that is not yours and money that you may need before maturiry of TB. Generally people are advised to use only money they are not likely to need before the tenor they have chosen to avoid embarrassment.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by C505: 5:25pm On Feb 11, 2018
Hello Mr TONY56, you seem well acquainted with this governmental bonds. Wanted to know your stance in this.
I went to AXA MANSARD an affiliate of GTB to buy TB recently. After so much lecturing, the lady behind the desk advised me to opt for money market ATM instead of TB since MM has a higher rate. It was about 15.84% against TB at 13.72 both for a tenor of 364 days. Difference is MM has its profit rate calculated based on change everyday unlike TB if the rate is 13% and you buy today, that's the rate your interest will be calculated for the tenor.
Although I bought into the MM after she convinced me that she'll monitor the TB rates so that if it increases above the MM, I can move my funds to TB.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 6:05pm On Feb 11, 2018
Viqtour:
Hello MR TONY56
PUT the money in MONEY MARKET FUND.
you can withdraw easily after 30days.

stanbic ibtc, investment One, ARM, and others have such funds..

go to mutual funds thread and read more.

good luck

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by C4Ltd: 6:39pm On Feb 11, 2018
TONY56:

The first thing you should do is not "to learn how to withdraw at any stage in case of emergency".

First of all, you should find out when your mum is likely to ask for the money and better still, let her know that you want to use the money to invest in TB.

Treasury Bills are risk free but you would be taking a risk of probably losing part of your investments if by the time you want to terminate it, a TB you bought at say 12% has moved northwards to say 18% and there's the likelihood that you would have spent the upfront interest you received.

Haven said that, there's no big deal about

sorry but you mean "having said that" abi? just asking
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Iamzik: 7:12pm On Feb 11, 2018
C4Ltd:

sorry but you mean "having said that" abi? just asking

Sorry Bros you be English lecturer?
grin grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Kimsunh: 8:00pm On Feb 11, 2018
Pls has anyone encountered this before? I went into first bank and invested for 133 days at 13.9 last Thursday. By evening I got debited and was waiting for my returns but it didn’t come in. The following morning I got credited the whole amount that I ask them to invest for me. I could have gone to the bank but I was busy at work so I thought I should ask if it’s normal or something happened. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Viqtour(m): 8:08pm On Feb 11, 2018
TONY56:

Haven said that, there's no big deal about termination of Treasury Bills. All you need do is get back to the Branch of the bank you did the investment and inform the TB officer of your intentions.
It's their duty to work out what they feel is the secondary market rate as at that time and you will be so advised. But if you want to dictate your rate of selling, your TB will be on offer till whenever you can get a buyer. The higher the rate above the prevailing Primary market rate, the better your chances of getting buyer or else, your TB will continue to be on offer while you are eager to sell.

TB termination is not something you get to the bank today and hope to get sold that day. It depends on when you get a buyer and at the end of the day, you will also be debited with some transaction charges that is not really big. But as information has reached us about UBA on this thread, if your investment was with them, apart from the transaction charges, you will also be debited by 25% of the upfront interest you received initially.

Note also that if for example you bought at 12% for 91days and you now need to sell at say 18%, after only 30days, you are selling at a loss of 6%, and your account will also be debited with the excess upfront interest you received for 91days instead of 30days i.e you will pay back 2/3 of the upfront interest you received.

So these are all you need to consider before locking in money that is not yours and money that you may need before maturiry of TB. Generally people are advised to use only money they are not likely to need before the tenor they have chosen to avoid embarrassment.

Thank you sir. I'll probably keep the money for her because she also invests in ntb and she would have put the money there if she wanted to. The permutations are cumbersome and I want to avoid the embarrassment of terminating too quickly.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:08pm On Feb 11, 2018
Kimsunh:
Pls has anyone encountered this before? I went into first bank and invested for 133 days at 13.9 last Thursday. By evening I got debited and was waiting for my returns but it didn’t come in. The following morning I got credited the whole amount that I ask them to invest for me. I could have gone to the bank but I was busy at work so I thought I should ask if it’s normal or something happened. Thanks

it didn't sail through. sometimes in secondary market while processing your tbills, another fast fingers from another branch might have cleared what u wanted.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by megacontrol(m): 9:31pm On Feb 11, 2018
interesting that you would give up your real estate project for TBill. i still think the returns don't compare, all things being equal.

if you don't mind, i would like to discuss this your building approval experience with you a little. assuming it's in Lagos, which LGA did this happen? how long did it take before you gave up? how much extra were they demanding?
Also i may be interested in discussing your planned sale. we can take all these offline if you prefer.

GODAKPAN:

started last year after waiting for over a year for building authority to approve my next building but as usual they insisted on bribes, during the period I learnt about tbills and diverted every thing to tbills, today am planning to sell the site and invest in tbills. last week the lady called and I informed her that am not interested and am selling site , I have decided to build in my village. she was shocked.

(1) (2) (3) ... (467) (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) ... (2237) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.