Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,158 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:58 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (510) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4428246 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (507) (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) (513) ... (2227) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 4:46pm On May 05, 2018
Gavrelino123:

Nigeria is very disorganised right now...
Check this out.. http://www.punchng.com/naira-may-drop-on-profit-taking-increased-demand/

Positive news to Nigerians in diaspora but negative news to naira investors wow!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:47pm On May 05, 2018
kaffy4tope:

What is MF biko? Plus when is next TB auction date?

Mf is mutual funds. Sheybe next auction is around may 10th
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 5:47pm On May 05, 2018
dotcomnamename:

Positive news to Nigerians in diaspora but negative news to naira investors wow!
That's the correspondence.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ogedanny: 6:33pm On May 05, 2018
dotcomnamename:

it's time to buy FBN Eurobond fund
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by hilaryxoxo(f): 6:34pm On May 05, 2018
Yields are dropping because the economy is getting better.
When you look at a yield, lots of factors determine its movement

1. Inflation risk: as inflation improves, rates get repriced lower
2. Default risk: is the risk that the borrower would default in payment. If this risk is high, rates would be high. In Nigeria's case, our oil revenue is bringing in $$$ and so the default risk that the FGN won't pay back is low, hence, rates have to adjust to this fundamental factor.

like I already said earlier, the CBN is guiding rates lower; fiscal paper is reducing, in other words, the CBN is not borrowing as much as before but demand is still very high, especially given the liquidity in the system. That's giving the CBN a lot of edge-room to cut back on clearing rates.

zinaunreal:
I don't get it, why is tb dropping, value of crude oil rising and yet the naira is still stagnant. Can someone explain this to me? Whats causing all this....?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:43pm On May 05, 2018
It took me a while to understand tbills, and commence investment. I stand with tbills till it goes beyond 8%. Not in a haste to make money but in a haste to save money.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pinkyruledworld(m): 7:00pm On May 05, 2018
GODAKPAN:
It took me a while to understand tbills, and commence investment. I stand with tbills till it goes beyond 8%. Not in a haste to make money but in a haste to save money.
I love ur signature... show me the way.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 8:02pm On May 05, 2018
Chaiiii ... I remember when I was doing shakara with my bank for getting me 18% secondary market on 177days for 5m. grin. If they tell me to come and manage 12% 13% right now walahi I will luck up lot. grin

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:23pm On May 05, 2018
pinkyruledworld:
I love ur signature... show me the way.

Amateur, not a pro. Just saving for retirement in next 15 years
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pinkyruledworld(m): 9:53pm On May 05, 2018
GODAKPAN:

Amateur, not a pro. Just saving for retirement in next 15 years
nevertheless...something can still show
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 1:10am On May 06, 2018
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 10:02am On May 06, 2018
dipoolowoo:
CBN Rakes N745b from Sales of T-Bills via OMO, Primary Market
https://www.businesspost.ng/2018/05/06/cbn-rakes-n745b-from-sales-of-t-bills-via-omo-primary-market/
Happy sunday sir,
Do you have any idea is there will be any primary Auction this week...?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 4:32pm On May 06, 2018
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Jesusbabygirl(f): 9:01pm On May 06, 2018
zamirikpo:
I just negotiated for 13% with Skyebank for 364days.
FD. It's far better for me. Yes no upfront I can manage.

TB go to bench.....let FD play 9 for me.
Your interest will also be taxed...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 8:01am On May 07, 2018
Jesusbabygirl:
Your interest will also be taxed...

yes, even at that I am still better off, as long as skyebank survives the next 364days. read pages 506,507,508 the maths has been done by a good Samaritan.

and mind u the last TB rate was 11.49% for 364days who knows what the next one will be in 2weeks, I couldn't wait to find out.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by amjustme2: 9:16am On May 07, 2018
Justice was served last week after Justice Mojisola Dada of the Lagos State High Court, Ikeja, sentenced Nsa Ayi, a former relationship officer in Coronation Merchant Bank, to seven years imprisonment for diverting clients’ N700 million meant for Federal Government bonds, treasury bills, and fixed deposits. Apparently, Ayi diverted funds earmarked to be invested on behalf of customers into several bank accounts and had planned to relocate with his Family until he was caught by the EFCC.

#Copied
#Nairametrics

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by diamond88: 10:20am On May 07, 2018
amjustme2:
Justice was served last week after Justice Mojisola Dada of the Lagos State High Court, Ikeja, sentenced Nsa Ayi, a former relationship officer in Coronation Merchant Bank, to seven years imprisonment for diverting clients’ N700 million meant for Federal Government bonds, treasury bills, and fixed deposits. Apparently, Ayi diverted funds earmarked to be invested on behalf of customers into several bank accounts and had planned to relocate with his Family until he was caught by the EFCC.

#Copied
#Nairametrics

these are one of the risk in TB....insider abuse
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:48am On May 07, 2018
amjustme2:

#Copied
#Nairametrics

When u give a mandate for transaction and you are not notified within 48hrs via email, text message or any other means of communication you choosed, then request for letter of confirmation ASAP. 700m?? so tempting!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by flexyrule(m): 11:15am On May 07, 2018
Between investing in T-Bills and FG Bonds, which is a better offer?
Can someone kindly advise.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Horlartunes: 11:21am On May 07, 2018
diamond88:

these are one of the risk in TB....insider abuse
so how do we now tread carefully sir
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by spenca: 11:53am On May 07, 2018
flexyrule:
Between investing in T-Bills and FG Bonds, which is a better offer?
Can someone kindly advise.

Okay these two government securities are typically of two different classes, the T-Bills is a money market instrument while bonds are capital market. The major difference is the tenor, the TBills go for shorter tenor than the Bonds that are for longer tenor. In Nigeria's economy the longest tenor for a TBill is 364 Days while the shortest for the Bond is 2 years in the case of the FGN savings bond.

Bottom line

Regardless of the yield your investment strategy matters, do you want to go long with your asset or you are holding a short position.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by spenca: 11:56am On May 07, 2018
With the Fixed deposit issue , the credit risk of the bank matters on the rate you will get. You can not compare the credit risk of a GTB to that of a Skye or unity. The higher the risk the higher the rate of return and the lower the risk the lower the rate of return.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 12:43pm On May 07, 2018
spenca:
With the Fixed deposit issue , the credit risk of the bank matters on the rate you will get. You can not compare the credit risk of a GTB to that of a Skye or unity. The higher the risk the higher the rate of return and the lower the risk the lower the rate of return.
Thank you very much,but not all will have the enlightenment to understand.....I don't even want to use my ears to hear fixed Deposit again no matter what.
Fixed deposit can only be attempted with 1st tier Banks..Hence,for those who are interested.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by IHelp: 1:33pm On May 07, 2018
Horlartunes:
so how do we now tread carefully sir

GODAKPAN:

When u give a mandate for transaction and you are not notified within 48hrs via email, text message or any other means of communication you choosed, then request for letter of confirmation ASAP. 700m?? so tempting!

I think once you are enlightened about Tbills, such can hardly happen to you.
How was the fund pulled out from the account or was it cash transaction (which I doubt).
The debit account should reflect purpose of transaction.
Godakpan also gave a good suggestion above.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 2:27pm On May 07, 2018
IHelp:

I think once you are enlightened about Tbills, such can hardly happen to you.
How was the fund pulled out from the account or was it cash transaction (which I doubt).
The debit account should reflect purpose of transaction.
Godakpan also gave a good suggestion above.

Gurus pls ecobank is offering me 11.5% on 10m tb for 241 days, how much will I get and is the deal OK? gurus pls help out
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Mfunkynation(m): 3:40pm On May 07, 2018
aremso:

Gurus pls ecobank is offering me 11.5% on 10m tb for 241 days, how much will I get and is the deal OK? gurus pls help out
based on d current Tb rate, 11.5% for 241 days is a good deal. Yoir interest will be N759,315.068
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by spenca: 3:47pm On May 07, 2018
aremso:

Take it
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 4:01pm On May 07, 2018
spenca:

Take it

thanks so much, sharpra, sharpra grabbed with all my body

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 4:07pm On May 07, 2018
Mfunkynation:
based on d current Tb rate, 11.5% for 241 days is a good deal. Yoir interest will be N759,315.068

God will bless your generation, applied this afternoon and they have debited my account and sent the exact amount left in my account and they have equally sent soft copy of my investment into my mail. God bless you all on this forum
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Horlartunes: 5:22pm On May 07, 2018
aremso:

God will bless your generation, applied this afternoon and they have debited my account and sent the exact amount left in my account and they have equally sent soft copy of my investment into my mail. God bless you all on this forum
abeg drop your whatsapp so you help me how to go with it
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Horlartunes: 5:22pm On May 07, 2018
Mfunkynation:
oga boss how do you calculate it sir
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by michellez(f): 5:33pm On May 07, 2018
Jejebaba:

GTB is one of the worst bank when it comes to FD rates, infact all Tier 1 banks. To enjoy good rates, you need to go to Tier 2 banks like Skye bank. My friend did FD with Skye at 13% as well for 9M Naira. The Tier 2 banks are really in need of deposits so they will always give you higher rates. Infact, some Microfinance bank will give u 18% and above, i am very sure of that. Kindly note that doing FD with Tier 2 banks and Microfinance banks carry more risk when compared to Tier 1 banks.

Anyone looking to do FD should approach Micro Finance Banks, some offer as much as 20% for 5M or more.

(1) (2) (3) ... (507) (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) (513) ... (2227) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.