Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,370 members, 7,829,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (564) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4459084 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (561) (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) ... (2233) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:23pm On Sep 04, 2018
Gavrelino123:

I have encountered similar occurrence when i was still a novice...!!
Any branch you visit will still forward you to your account officer....☄☄
You have to show your account officer that you are well vast and knowledgeable about TB...
Once they see that you are troublesome,they won't want to encounter you,they will just give you what you want....☄☄☄
I went to a different Branch to report my account officer..☄☄
They sent a query mail to her boss.....she later called and calmed me down...and was narrating how some of her colleagues were sacked because of a customer..☄☄
GTBANK secondary market rates is released with the lead-time between 10:am to 2pm daily...!!!
Whats with the emojis? Lol

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:27pm On Sep 04, 2018
TONY56:

There is interest for the re-invested upfront interest but the way it works is that even the interest of the re-invested interest keeps re-invested until the amount remaining is less than N1,000 which will then be part of the amount left in your account.

For example, if you invested N1million and the upfront interest is also re-invested, you may be debited a little less than N1million-like N999,565 because your account has been credited with maybe N435 being the amount that is less than N1,000 which could not be further invested.
That's how it works.

This is cool grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 3:31pm On Sep 04, 2018
lolaluv1:

The bank is GTB.
Though I suspect the issue is with the account officer and not the service. Because I asked her to give me the available rates and she stated she doesnt know yet. But writing that they bid at the prevailing rate would allow them bid for me at they rate they (GTB) are bidding. I will find all the information regarding the TB and the charges and write here.

Was the TB Primary or Secondary?
If it was for Primary, she was perfectly in order but if it was secondary market, she should have asked you to wait till she could see the available rates so that you can pick or ask you to come back. But from your statements above, I guess it was Primary Market
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 3:33pm On Sep 04, 2018
Vault007:
Gurus in the house, pls what is the minimum amount one can invest for Stanbic-IBTC tbills?

N100,000
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 3:40pm On Sep 04, 2018
Mfunkynation:
stanbic rate is better concerning 114 days @ 10.9%

Yes. These days, Stanbic secondary market rates are usually better than First Bank that used to be the leader. Check it out and compare
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 3:43pm On Sep 04, 2018
Am very annoyed right now. I submitted my form for TB secondary market with first bank since friday and it was not treated. Yesterday early in the morning ,I was told that it has been treated yet account was not deducted, this afternoon, I noticed it has been deducted and the interest which I got was 197,294.81 for 191days (N3.4m). From my calculation, it's not up to 11%even. Can someone help me recalculate pls.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vexing(m): 4:33pm On Sep 04, 2018
needful:
Am very annoyed right now. I submitted my form for TB secondary market with first bank since friday and it was not treated. Yesterday early in the morning ,I was told that it has been treated yet account was not deducted, this afternoon, I noticed it has been deducted and the interest which I got was 197,294.81 for 191days (N3.4m). From my calculation, it's not up to 11%even. Can someone help me recalculate pls.

191 days is a little bit above six months which is about 1/2 of a year so your interest would be prorated for 191 days which will be approximately half of what you will be entitled to if you had done 364 days. From my calculations you were given approx 11.03%. But your true interest should be a little more than that but banks will collect some charges which include:
Commission = 0.125%
Custody fee = 0.10% per transaction ( per investment)
Transaction fee = N100.00 per transaction (per investment)
VAT = 5% on commission, custody fee and transaction fees.
These charges may vary a little from bank to bank. So in the real sense your interest maybe up to 11.2% but you can only be sure when you collect your TB certificate.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mosky47: 4:35pm On Sep 04, 2018
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have experiences with Sterling Bank.
What's their rate like? Do they have a penalty for termination?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 4:51pm On Sep 04, 2018
TONY56:

Please why are you shielding the name of the bank?
Tell us the name of the bank and let everybody know the antics of the different banks so that we can know what they do in other to be careful and be more vigilant.

For example, if not that someone informed us here sometimes last year that Union Bank charges 25% penalty for premature termination of Treasury Bills, a lot of us wouldn't have known. And for this reason, I will NEVER go there.

If your TB transaction was at the primary market, the officer was right to have asked you to write that it should be at the bank bidding rate and not at "the prevailing rate" if the amount involved is less than N50million but if it's at the secondary market, he should let you know the rate of the available offers so that you will know and be pleased with the one you chose before giving him the go ahead.

CORRECTION!!!
Please not that I erroneously refereed to UBA as the bank that charges 25% penalty for premature termination of Treasury Bills instead of UNION BANK.

I have consequently modified the post as you're seeing above. Thanks for your understanding.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolajay: 4:53pm On Sep 04, 2018
N100,000

Vault007:
Gurus in the house, pls what is the minimum amount one can invest for Stanbic-IBTC tbills?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by charlesdavis(m): 5:11pm On Sep 04, 2018
Please house , how safe is I- invest app? Someone referred me to it for purchasing treasury bills!!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chidicute(m): 5:14pm On Sep 04, 2018
Good day all, please, I'm in serious delinma now, I invested into TB in april22 2018, 13%, for 210 days, secondary market, and it's due for November 4, 2018,and I have been paid my upfront interest. But there is something urgent now, I can't wait,till november 4th 2018, so I wana terminate it,please who can show me detailed way I can calculate how much the bank would collect from my principal since I ve been paid my interest already, using 600,000naira, jus for example...please this is urgent, someone should help me with analysis, how he got how much the bank would collect from me ,for liquidating the TB before maturity.thanks for ya speedy response
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 5:45pm On Sep 04, 2018
chidicute:
Good day all, please, I'm in serious delinma now, I invested into TB in april22 2018, 13%, for 210 days, secondary market, and it's due for November 4, 2018,and I have been paid my upfront interest. But there is something urgent now, I can't wait,till november 4th 2018, so I wana terminate it,please who can show me detailed way I can calculate how much the bank would collect from my principal since I ve been paid my interest already, using 600,000naira, jus for example...please this is urgent, someone should help me with analysis, how he got how much the bank would collect from me ,for liquidating the TB before maturity.thanks for ya speedy response

It is subject to the rate the bank will sell it.. It is better you talk to the bank staff you did the transaction with.

We are looking at the balance of 61-62 days from today. Assuming it is sold back today @ the 13% you bought it you will be collecting back about N13,000. However, I don't even know if it would either be sold today or even at that 13%. It could either be sold at lesser rate which will be to your advantage.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:06pm On Sep 04, 2018
-
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:23pm On Sep 04, 2018
chidicute:

Divide your interest by 210 days and multiply by the remaining days and include bank charges were applicable.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SirBrightoc(m): 6:25pm On Sep 04, 2018
charlesdavis:
Please house , how safe is I- invest app? Someone referred me to it for purchasing treasury bills!!

I emailed Security and Exchange Commission with enquiry on the App and the people behind it. They responded promptly and even called me on phone to clarify that whereas they can attest to the integrity of the firm behind the App, they were not aware of the App used for TB. I was contented and went ahead to try with an initial investment of N100,000. As at now, I can view the investment and interest generated anytime and any day.
I discovered that after 30 days, I am able to see a link to resell the investment, though I have not done so and the investment is yet to mature. But, my experience so far is positive and I am gradually developing high confidence on it.

See screenshots from the App below. I have risked this amount to test it.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by anjilgreat(f): 6:39pm On Sep 04, 2018
This is very informative
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Oma255: 9:18pm On Sep 04, 2018
TONY56:

I feel that these rates are not good considering the surge in the last TB auction.
I got 11.5% for 142 days on 6th July 2018 when primary rates were much lower so I think the rate now should not be less than 12% to be termed "Good"

You are right. I feel the rate should be higher than that. However, compare to other banks rate have been seeing lately, I think Stanbic is still leading.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 9:20pm On Sep 04, 2018
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Oma255: 9:21pm On Sep 04, 2018
chidicute:

Also note that some banks charge 25% of interest for primature termination. So read your tbills certificate very well and think twice.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chidicute(m): 10:26pm On Sep 04, 2018
Barrytone:

Divide your interest by 191 days and multiply by the remaining days and include bank charges were applicable.

thanks all, please, how did you come up with 191days, I know bank charges varies,is the bank charge the 25% of my interest, some people are saying?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by charlesdavis(m): 11:05pm On Sep 04, 2018
Thank u very much @ sirbrightoc....please others should contribute to enable us purchase treasury bills @ the comfort of our homes since most banks will rather prefer u opt for fixed deposit at a lower interest rate....thanks once again
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:14am On Sep 05, 2018
chidicute:

thanks all, please, how did you come up with 191days, I know bank charges varies,is the bank charge the 25% of my interest, some people are saying?

Read your certificate thoroughly, 191 represent the total number of days that you were paid interest upfront(210 days in your case). The interest covered the entire days but since you can't wait for entire period, you will only take interest for the days you were able to wait. Then the bank will take their charges that must have been stated in the certificate and form you signed.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chidicute(m): 7:47am On Sep 05, 2018
Barrytone:

Read your certificate thoroughly, 191 represent the total number of days that you were paid interest upfront(210 days in your case). The interest covered the entire days but since you can't wait for entire period, you will only take interest for the days you were able to wait. Then the bank will take their charges that must have been stated in the certificate and form you signed.

OK bro thanks, buh no explicit charge was stated in ma cert, jus this.....In the event that u have to liquidate this investment prior to d maturity date indicated above, a penal charge will b applied based in the prevalent rediscount rate.. so don't really know the percentage they would work with
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Alakwa: 10:00am On Sep 05, 2018
I had similar experience with GTB early this year, bro it was not a gud experience. This our Nigeria banks will reap u off. I suggest u use the investment as a collateral and get a loan from the bank to sort your self out, when ur Tbills drop u clear off the loan. That will be cheaper for u.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 10:32am On Sep 05, 2018
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 11:47am On Sep 05, 2018
Alakwa:
I had similar experience with GTB early this year, bro it was not a gud experience. This our Nigeria banks will reap u off. I suggest u use the investment as a collateral and get a loan from the bank to sort your self out, when ur Tbills drop u clear off the loan. That will be cheaper for u.

Loan at 31% interest rate isn't cool......unless he can get it from an alternative source not banks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Jejebabaa: 7:41pm On Sep 05, 2018
Alakwa:

Sir, do u mind sharing your experience with the forum. I do Tbills with GTB though i don't have any plan of premature liquidation but we never can tell as circumstances do change.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Moses247(m): 7:50pm On Sep 05, 2018
Good evening fellas. I bought T. B of 1.3m yesterday at first bank for 303days at the rate of 11%, but what I don't understand is this. 117k was credited to Me as interest?? I was thinking of 130k or so? Abeg someone should make me understand Thank u
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DUNKA(m): 8:03pm On Sep 05, 2018
SirBrightoc:

I emailed Security and Exchange Commission with enquiry on the App and the people behind it. They responded promptly and even called me on phone to clarify that whereas they can attest to the integrity of the firm behind the App, they were not aware of the App used for TB. I was contented and went ahead to try with an initial investment of N100,000. As at now, I can view the investment and interest generated anytime and any day.
I discovered that after 30 days, I am able to see a link to resell the investment, though I have not done so and the investment is yet to mature. But, my experience so far is positive and I am gradually developing high confidence on it.

See screenshots from the App below. I have risked this amount to test it.

https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/sterling-bank-launches-new-mobile-app-i-invest.html&ved=2ahUKEwj308zcxaTdAhVqI8AKHf9cC7gQFjAIegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw35v2yvhyBxaXxZyyxrPTBv
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sammily(m): 8:10pm On Sep 05, 2018
Moses247:
Good evening fellas. I bought T. B of 1.3m yesterday at first bank for 303days at the rate of 11%, but what I don't understand is this. 117k was credited to Me as interest?? I was thinking of 130k or so? Abeg someone should make me understand Thank u

The interest you received is about right as shown in the screenshot of the excel TB calculator below;

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 8:11pm On Sep 05, 2018
Moses247:

You are supposed to get N119,036 pre-charges. Whatever is missed I guess is consumed by the charges.

N130,000 pre charges would have been your interest only if you invested for the whole 364days. But now about 61days is already gone so you won't get that.

NOTE: Devoting time to read just the first 15-20 Pages of this thread would make even someone that is just stumbling on this thread today not to ask some certain questions..

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (561) (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) ... (2233) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Allboiz, Mrluv(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.