Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,758 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (646) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4443447 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (643) (644) (645) (646) (647) (648) (649) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Just2endowed2(m): 9:25am On Dec 12, 2018
what about in mutual fund? who know if stanbic IBTC mutual fund will be available for investment.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 10:13am On Dec 12, 2018
condomuser:
What could have made them stop accpeting investments this early for primary and secondary markets. The holiday hasn't even started.

that information is wrong!

Secondary market is still open.

i applied yesterday @ 13% first bank.
am at the bank now to correct my form and invest.

ALL MONEY MARKET FUNDS remain open.

happy investing.

P.S: I just got 13.4% for 316 days, yay!

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CravingChic: 10:21am On Dec 12, 2018
RealityShot:
i applied yesterday @ 13% first bank. am at the bank now to correct my form and invest.
happy investing.

wow... thanks for correcting the earlier wrong info.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by adanny01(m): 10:54am On Dec 12, 2018
Nnamz:

Initially I was going to ignore you because this question shows you haven't read previous pages of this thread. I'm just gonna answer it so that other lazy Nigerian youths like you don't repeat the question.

When you invest for 55 or 90 days at 10%, YOU ARE NOT GETTING THE FULL 10% for that investment. Divide 10% by 1 year (0.10÷364 = 0.00027). Times the result by the number of days, 55 in this case. That would give you 0.015. That means you're getting just 1.5% of that 100,000 investment.

A guy here said he read the first 300 pages of this thread. I did similar thing that is why I can say I know so much about tbills, not from reading a book or not because I work at a bank, but because I spent time here reading previous pages of this thread. PLEASE YOU GUYS SHOULD STOP ASKING QUESTIONS THAT YOU WOULD FIND THE ANSWERS TO IF YOU TOOK 20 MINUTES TO READ PREVIOUS PAGES OF THIS THREAD. ALSO ENOUGH WITH THE FIGHT. IF YOU ARE NOT HERE FOR INVESTMENTS, LEAVE THIS THREAD BEFORE YOU MAKE REASONABLE INVESTORS HERE LEAVE BECAUSE OF YOU.

I read a lot of pages and skipped some but i got most of the answers without asking much.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 11:22am On Dec 12, 2018
RealityShot:

happy investing.

Have u been debited and credited with the upfront interest because I want to go and shout inside stanbic this morng.

They told me both primary and secondary where off till next year.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 12:31pm On Dec 12, 2018
zamirikpo:

Have u been debited and credited with the upfront interest because I want to go and shout inside stanbic this morng.

They told me both primary and secondary where off till next year.
Maybe is just stanbic. My account officer just told me I’ll be debited tomorrow
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by hotcake: 1:39pm On Dec 12, 2018
feelamong:

Exactly why its important to hedge your Treasury Bills bet with Eurobonds investments!

as a policy, i always have about 40% of my Investments in Dollars (Eurobonds) The returns may be low but in times of devaluation, you will be surprised at how much you have gained in Naira.

awesomeJ:

While I certainly agree with you sir on the need to hedge ogainst currency risk, We also need to fully explore the alternatives:

1. Doing NTBs at 14% average yield will turn your $100k to about $141k in 5 years should the naira crash from 360 to 510 in that period.

2. stashing your $100k in your dorm account would leave you with about $99k or less in 5 years.

3. doing US bonds, bills or notes at about 4% would turn the $100k to about $121k.

4. doing eurobonds at about 7% average would leave you with 140k.

However like I often like to think, timing is really key with investments.

Some people bought dollars at 250 and sold at 510, while some others bought at 520 only to sell at 380.

Investment should be a smart man's business.

Happy new month to us all!

vacanci:

If I remembered vividly, after the roadshow, our last Eurobond was over subscribed.

Can you help us breakdown and analys these 3 scenarios.

1. Mr A has 10M. He investment in a Treasury bills or bond at prevailing rate. Let's say between 14 and 15 percent for the next 5 years. After 5 years, convert his total amount principal and interest compounded to Dollar at say N510 per dollar like some me one suggested on this thread.

2. Mr B has 10M. He bought dollars with all of them at prevailing exchange rate today let's say between 365 and 370 naira to a dollar. He invested the dollar at a given rate of 2% in fixed deposit so he can cash out anytime there is panic. Remember we have seen dollars dropped from 520 to 360.

3. Mr C has 10M. He bought dollars with all of them as above and investment in eurobond for 5years at prevailing interest rate say between 6 and 7 percent.

Recall that a 5 year eurobond can't give u 7%. Prevailing rate for 5year maturity is around 6%. So you don't need to use the wider margin to calculate since it's not 20 year bond.

At the end of 5 years let all the guys convert their money to common currency, dollar or naira. Let's see the picture of all these argument.

It's not for us to just be loyal to the dollar simply because of the name as if you buy garri with it or pay house rent with it.

ahiboilandgas:
investor A 39000 dollars B 31000 C 37000 dollars ...the naira treasury bill investor gains more

And from historic data we have the following:
Average TB rate over the past 10 years is 11% (2008 @ 6%, 2010 @4%, 2012 @ 16%, etc.), Bond average @ 5% (Nigeria 5yr eurobond can fetch up to 7% while Brazilian eurobond 10% because they are considered high risk), Dollar rate 2008 was N120 (2010 @ 155, ......2018 @ 360).

a) NTB: On N1000 investment made in 2008 at average of 11%, it will be worth N2800 today
b) BOND: On N1000 investment made in 2008 i.e. 1000/120 = $8.33 invested in bonds at 5% it will be worth $13.57 today i.e. N4900
c) DOLLAR "from under the pillow" will be worth 8.33 x 360 = 3000 today

So it appears there is little difference between NTB and dollar cash investment. The $ bond appears to be worth investing in but this assumes a future naira devaluation rate similar to the existing historical data. The reality may be better or worse. Only time can tell. In conclusion there could be a short term loss if one chooses the pure dollar path (path c) due to bank charges and black market rates. And one can only get good eurobond rates by investing in developing countries, which means only the devaluation risk is mitigated, the market/country risk remains essentially the same.

NOTE:
1. Eurobonds can be purchaed through the likes of FBN Capital. To get a rate of up to 7%, one has to invest in the minimum of 5-year bond. There is a one-time management fee of 1.5% - which means any investment that is less than 2 years is not worth it. There will also be costs for converting naira to dollar since the transaction will not be eligible for conversion at the official market, so parallel market rate will be used.
2. NTB investment may be worthwhile in the short term if the naira doesn't lose more than 7% of its value per year.

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by faymouz(m): 2:48pm On Dec 12, 2018
sempe123:
please is anyone having the same experience as me.Since last friday i gave UBA instruction to debit my account for TB,up till now that has not been done,they keep telling me that the platform is down.The thing just weak me

Guess TB is closed for the year, I advice you use CBN calender..

please what's the rate of UBA TB as of when you applied?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 4:49pm On Dec 12, 2018
Thanks to @realityshot I went to stanbic today and made sure I bought into the secondary market. The same idi_t that said no secondary market till next year gave me 14.25% for 330days.

Xmas is now set.....

Some of these bankers are either lazy or incompetent

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by donshady(m): 5:18pm On Dec 12, 2018
zamirikpo:
Thanks to @realityshot I went to stanbic today and made sure I bought into the secondary market. The same idi_t that said no secondary market till next year gave me 14.25% for 330days.

Xmas is now set.....

14.25% is a big one. I hope i will get that at firstbank...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Damolux01(m): 10:34pm On Dec 12, 2018
PraiseDLord:

Never, mine has always been same day value.
Why should a discounted instrument that is very liquid take such a time?
It's same day please. Worst case, the bank buys it back to increase its regulatory CRR.
Thanks boss...was at the Bank on Monday to cause a scene. Later got my account credited that same day.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 6:07am On Dec 13, 2018
zamirikpo:

Xmas is now set.....

you welcome, glad i could help..

btw... "lazy, incompetent" and i think criminal minded!

either they want to force us to use fixed deposit or

they (like at first bank) are very keen on selling to us at much lower rates than CBN rates!

yesterday rates: CBN-15% FBN-13.4%
crazy!

am going to open IBTC account in Jan. Even though their branches are very far from my area. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by donshady(m): 6:24am On Dec 13, 2018
RealityShot:
you welcome, glad i could help..

btw... "lazy, incompetent" and i think criminal minded!

either they want to force us to use fixed deposit or

they (like at first bank) are very keen on selling to us at much lower rates than CBN rates!

yesterday rates: CBN-15% FBN-13.4%
crazy!

am going to open IBTC account in Jan. Even though their branches are very far from my area. Thanks

I'm going to open one today today. The long awaited. I'm fed up with first bank giving lower rate

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 6:30am On Dec 13, 2018
donshady:

I'm going to open one today today. The long awaited. I'm fed up with first bank giving lower rate
please do ask them if there is any way to apply for tbills without visiting their office physically.

thank you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by donshady(m): 6:32am On Dec 13, 2018
RealityShot:
please do ask them if there is any way to apply for tbills without visiting their office physically.

thank you.
Okay. I'll
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ikmontana1: 8:06am On Dec 13, 2018
zamirikpo:

Xmas is now set.....

boss
pls is it possible to compound upfront interest in d secondary market ?
I.e I want to invest everytin, don't want to collect anytin, to enjoy d True yield.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 8:14am On Dec 13, 2018
Ikmontana1:
boss
I.e I want to invest everytin, don't want to collect anytin, to enjoy d True yield.

I don't think So, cos the forms they have do not have any column for reinvesting interest.

Though u could discuss with the customer care rep. Cos it's actually very easy.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by donshady(m): 9:03am On Dec 13, 2018
RealityShot:

happy investing.

Have you been debited plus have you received your upfront payment.?? One of my bills is due today and i haven't been credited yet.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 9:48am On Dec 13, 2018
donshady:

Have you been debited plus have you received your upfront payment.?? One of my bills is due today and i haven't been credited yet.
..am still waiting for alert..i was told to come for cert today but i will go tomorrow.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by INFOTECH2: 9:49am On Dec 13, 2018
Ikmontana1:
boss

Yes
It is possible to do that. At least I do that at first bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by donshady(m): 10:15am On Dec 13, 2018
RealityShot:
..am still waiting for alert..i was told to come for cert today but i will go tomorrow.

One of my bills matured today and I haven't received alert
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 10:25am On Dec 13, 2018
donshady:

One of my bills matured today and I haven't received alert
just check your balance or wait till tomorrow.

you know cbn has been mopping cash to pay you all your 550 billion that matures today... Lol
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sempe123: 10:44am On Dec 13, 2018
faymouz:

Guess TB is closed for the year, I advice you use CBN calender..

please what's the rate of UBA TB as of when you applied?
No,secondary market is always on.What they had was a branch issue which has been resolved.I got 14.75 for 358 days yesterday.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by donshady(m): 10:47am On Dec 13, 2018
RealityShot:
just check your balance or wait till tomorrow.

you know cbn has been mopping cash to pay you all your 550 billion that matures today... Lol

First bank says tbills for secondary market is not loading cry cry cry
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zinaunreal(m): 11:52am On Dec 13, 2018
donshady:

First bank says tbills for secondary market is not loading cry cry cry

grin grin grin wicked bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by donshady(m): 12:00pm On Dec 13, 2018
zinaunreal:

grin grin grin wicked bank
Tired of them
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by faymouz(m): 12:11pm On Dec 13, 2018
sempe123:

No,secondary market is always on.What they had was a branch issue which has been resolved.I got 14.75 for 358 days yesterday.

thanks man..I need to clearify something, can i have your number please
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by PraiseDLord: 12:58pm On Dec 13, 2018
zamirikpo:

Xmas is now set.....

What is the bank charges and custody fee?
14.25% is quite high
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dejiotus: 1:19pm On Dec 13, 2018
Indigbo:

Less than three weeks into the investment

It is possible to lose some of your capital o, depending on the interest rate the bank buy back the TB investment. Like I said before, make effort to contact your bank and ask for the likely interest rate to buy back the TB investment from you. Make sure you also ask if there is any penalty o. I learnt Union bank charges around 20% of the interest as a penalty for early liquidation. Good luck with your endeavour.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by PraiseDLord: 1:21pm On Dec 13, 2018
Let's compare rates and see which Bank has the highest T.bills rate.
Quote your bank tenor and corresponding rate below
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Happyfellow147: 1:55pm On Dec 13, 2018
Me too
Even now, I'm yet to be credited
donshady:

(1) (2) (3) ... (643) (644) (645) (646) (647) (648) (649) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: biznus, Rizin and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.