Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,639 members, 7,813,123 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (660) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4433565 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (657) (658) (659) (660) (661) (662) (663) ... (2228) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Speedyconnect15: 8:22am On Jan 08, 2019
unite4real:

Thank you but everyone has his risk appetite in variations. The essence of this forum is capital preservations and guaranteed interest. The reason we discuss TB and Bonds here.

Is there a calendar for currency devaluation? Has dollar performed better since August 2017 when exchange rate was 369? Even when people anticipated high exchange this yultide and election period, is there any sign? CBN is better prepared for speculators now. The Foreign exchange futures contract is one tool and policy that is helping to stabilize exchange.

For your information I have locked down 6M @15.74% for 7 years. All interest coming in every 6 months will go into Treasury bills investments at prevailing rates to compound my interests. After 7 years and liquidation, you can come back to this comment and tell me I have run at a loss.

I will be waiting.

Where was this locked down?

Bonds?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolajay: 8:30am On Jan 08, 2019
The emboldened below should be the premise of any conversation as this.

Those who don’t earn in forex won’t easily understand your analyses, cause they’re not doing any exchange nor interested in the forex market as much as one who has a global portfolio or outlook.

Jejebabaa:

...May be i am just being extra careful these days considering what happened to me and some of my friends in 2015-17. Changing USD/GBP to Naira to invest and getting back less by the time our investments matured and planning to change it back to forex. I think if someone earns in naira with living expenses in Naira, such person will care less of exchange rates.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 8:39am On Jan 08, 2019
Speedyconnect15:

Where was this locked down?

Bonds?

Yes
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 8:57am On Jan 08, 2019
chloride6:

Just buy Derivatives and Hedge against FX losses

Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Speedyconnect15: 9:35am On Jan 08, 2019
unite4real:

Yes

Sorry , is it FG's bond?

Which company did you use.

Do banks offer it like they do Tbills?

Again, can it be liquidated like Tbills?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 11:14am On Jan 08, 2019
Please guys what investment opportunities are available for USD. I have some USD sitting dormant in my account. No interest. How can I invest without changing to naira

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by hias2012(m): 12:13pm On Jan 08, 2019
Jejebabaa:

Chairman, you locked down your fund in Naira for 7 years. Omo mehn, you get mind oooo. You are playing with devaluations. Impossibility is nothing in Emerging markets especially Nigeria. Kindly bookmark this, your money will be worth less in dollars in 7 years' time.

There is a huge difference between certainty and uncertainty when it comes to making money. Besides, the above investment is not just a fixed deposit but one with interest. And as he summarized, he's going to compound the interest. That would amount to a lot at the end. There is a lot to speculative investment, which I guess you already know. There is also what is called time value of money. If one is sure of devaulation by 15% in 2yrs time for instance and a bag of cement today is N2,000.00, would you rather start to build your house now or wait until dollar rizes up in "2 years" time?. The effect of devaulation is actually much more than most can summarize because of it's devastating spiral effect. The effect in the above case for example would actually be more than 15%.

His decision is a wise one, and I personally regretted missing out in the 2017 offer whose interest rate was 17%.

NB: Check out fixed income outlook for 2019, a forecast by the almighty Zedcrest:

https://twitter.com/ZedcrestCapital/status/1081277667163455488?s=08

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dharpzee: 1:16pm On Jan 08, 2019
chigo4u:
Please guys what investment opportunities are available for USD. I have some USD sitting dormant in my account. No interest. How can I invest without changing to naira

Kindly contact me on 08178192374, have a company that you can invest your dollars and earn your interest in dollars. I will forward the acct opening form to you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeFAD: 3:10pm On Jan 08, 2019
Speedyconnect15:

Sorry , is it FG's bond?

Which company did you use.

Do banks offer it like they do Tbills?

Again, can it be liquidated like Tbills?

Yes, you can buy through bank. I bought mine through First Bank. But it is late now. You just have to watch out it FGN would roll it out again in 2019. It is called FGN sovereign sukuk. Below is the result of 2018 subscription.

DEBT MANAGEMENT OFFICE
NIGERIA
Press Release
N100 BILLION FGN SUKUK OVERSUBSCRIBED - TOTAL BIDS RECEIVED
OVER N132 BILLION
The Debt Management Office (DMO) has announced the result of its recent public
offering of N100 billion, 7-year 15.743% Sovereign Sukuk due 2025. The DMO
received Subscriptions of over N132 billion from 2073 Investors. The high success
rate of the Sukuk, which is the second by the Federal Government of Nigeria showed
investors’ appetite for FGN Securities and also their interest in the fact that the
proceeds will be used to improve the state of road infrastructure in the country.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Speedyconnect15: 3:18pm On Jan 08, 2019
princeFAD:

Yes, you can buy through bank. I bought mine through First Bank. But it is late now. You just have to watch out it FGN would roll it out again in 2019. It is called FGN sovereign sukuk. Below is the result of 2018 subscription.

DEBT MANAGEMENT OFFICE
NIGERIA
Press Release
N100 BILLION FGN SUKUK OVERSUBSCRIBED - TOTAL BIDS RECEIVED
OVER N132 BILLION
The Debt Management Office (DMO) has announced the result of its recent public
offering of N100 billion, 7-year 15.743% Sovereign Sukuk due 2025. The DMO
received Subscriptions of over N132 billion from 2073 Investors. The high success
rate of the Sukuk, which is the second by the Federal Government of Nigeria showed
investors’ appetite for FGN Securities and also their interest in the fact that the
proceeds will be used to improve the state of road infrastructure in the country.

Oh Thanks

What about liquidity?

Can I liquidate before maturity like I do Tbills ?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 4:12pm On Jan 08, 2019
chigo4u:

Various investment houses have their dollar based mutual funds/Eurobond where you can invest your Dollar for returns... For more details you can read up this thread https://www.nairaland.com/4667123/eurobond#72089462 .

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by akinola98: 5:22pm On Jan 08, 2019
unite4real:

This was my reason for liquidating my mutual funds and investing all in the just concluded FGN SUKUK BOND at 15.74% for 7 years.

Hi
Please has the FGN Sukuk bond being listed on the Nigeria stock market yet
It was meant to have been listed on 28th December 2018 but it didn’t go through
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 6:38pm On Jan 08, 2019
dharpzee:

Kindly contact me on 08178192374, have a company that you can invest your dollars and earn your interest in dollars. I will forward the acct opening form to you.
Sorry I want something from banks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Odogwu007: 7:22pm On Jan 08, 2019
mousco:
I really want to know how this Tbill works, am new to it.... And really want to invest and yield returns.

Thanks

I am new too please anyone who can help advise one who is trying to enter this “business”.
Please help out

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 8:46pm On Jan 08, 2019
akinola98:

Hi
Please has the FGN Sukuk bond being listed on the Nigeria stock market yet
It was meant to have been listed on 28th December 2018 but it didn’t go through

Not listed yet.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 9:20pm On Jan 08, 2019
hias2012:

There is a huge difference between certainty and uncertainty when it comes to making money. Besides, the above investment is not just a fixed deposit but one with interest. And as he summarized, he's going to compound the interest. That would amount to a lot at the end. There is a lot to speculative investment, which I guess you already know. There is also what is called time value of money. If one is sure of devaulation by 15% in 2yrs time for instance and a bag of cement today is N2,000.00, would you rather start to build your house now or wait until dollar rizes up in "2 years" time?. The effect of devaulation is actually much more than most can summarize because of it's devastating spiral effect. The effect in the above case for example would actually be more than 15%.

His decision is a wise one, and I personally regretted missing out in the 2017 offer whose interest rate was 17%.

NB: Check out fixed income outlook for 2019, a forecast by the almighty Zedcrest:

https://twitter.com/ZedcrestCapital/status/1081277667163455488?s=08

Thanks for understanding with my decision
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 12:13am On Jan 09, 2019
freeman67:
We keep running around same issue over and over again. The truth is that we can only forecast what is likely to happen but that doesn't it must happen that way. Before 2015 elections USD/NGN exchange rate was $1/ N150,000. After the elections it went high that $1was exchanging for between N480 & N500 people were still buying at that rate in anticipation that it was going to exchange for N1000 later as predicted by some analysts. Then it crashed to later stabilise between N360-N365 in 2016 and since then the exchange rate has remained same. Every investment has its own risk. The higher the risk, the higher the reward and with luck on your side wrong decision can actually turn right.

Those that bought USD to hoard before the election made some gain while those that bought after loose money. The probably of them regaining that money is still 50/50.
While

My dear u are simply on point. I dont comment here because of I too no peeps that has been parading themselves here. In 2016 that I moved to Canada, I bought Canadian dollars for 380 for 1 Canadian dollars , in 2017, it came down to 288 to 310 and in 2018, it was 284 to 285. As I type this now, Canadian dollars is at 270 to 280 per naira. I dont just understand how somebody will come here and predict naira value for the next 7yrs.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Alepa(m): 12:21am On Jan 09, 2019
needful:

My dear u are simply on point. I dont comment here because of I too no peeps that has been parading themselves here. In 2016 that I moved to Canada, I bought Canadian dollars for 380 for 1 Canadian dollars , in 2017, it came down to 288 to 310 and in 2018, it was 284 to 285. As I type this now, Canadian dollars is at 270 to 280 per naira. I dont just understand how somebody will come here and predict naira value for the next 7yrs.

The thing weak me too .
If we are to follow their logic , then salary earners should also be comparing their earnings to dollar so that they may believe they’re now earning less grin grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Alepa(m): 12:23am On Jan 09, 2019
Speedyconnect15:

Oh Thanks

What about liquidity?

Can I liquidate before maturity like I do Tbills ?
Yes, but... grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pallybrown(m): 6:20am On Jan 09, 2019
Good morning guys, I have been following this thread for a very long time so I decided to try this with my bank. I sent them and email and they replied with a form and I chart list so I pick the shortest time, fill the form and sent back. Can someone explain how much my investment will yield.

1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Speedyconnect15: 7:53am On Jan 09, 2019
Alepa:

Yes, but... grin

But?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Floyd45(m): 8:35am On Jan 09, 2019
pallybrown:
Good morning guys, I have been following this thread for a very long time so I decided to try this with my bank. I sent them and email and they replied with a form and I chart list so I pick the shortest time, fill the form and sent back. Can someone explain how much my investment will yield.

Good morning, I'm also a newbie here and was thinking about walking into Ecobank this morning to find out their rates. So you did all this without having to walk into a banking hall?
From my little knowledge gained from this thread, I guess your interest should be around 23,000 if I'm not wrong.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 8:56am On Jan 09, 2019
Alepa:

The thing weak me too .
If we are to follow their logic , then salary earners should also be comparing their earnings to dollar so that they may believe they’re now earning less grin grin

As a salary earner, iam comparing mine with Zimbabwean dollar so as to know what it is like to be a billionaire. Billionaire na billionaire. Na me and the likes of Dangote and Otedola dey rub shoulders now. grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Stephenfid: 9:03am On Jan 09, 2019
Floyd45:

Good morning, I'm also a newbie here and was thinking about walking into Ecobank this morning to find out their rates. So you did all this without having to walk into a banking hall?
From my little knowledge gained from this thread, I guess your interest should be around 23,000 if I'm not wrong.

Good Morning, Please call Ecobank Customer Care number in order to make your enquiries. You can reach them on +2347005000000.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Alepa(m): 9:12am On Jan 09, 2019
NL1960:

As a salary earner, iam comparing mine with Zimbabwean dollar so as to know what it is like to be a billionaire. Billionaire na billionaire. Na me and the likes of Dangote and Otedola dey rub shoulders now. grin grin
Twaile sir grin grin

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 9:27am On Jan 09, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by justsmile(f): 11:08am On Jan 09, 2019
Hello house,

The TB I did with first Bank on the 2nd of July 2018 for 185days, matured on the 3rd of this month. Till now, I have got no alert of my principal amount and interest. This is my first time though. Pls is this normal?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 11:26am On Jan 09, 2019
justsmile:
Hello house,

The TB I did with first Bank on the 2nd of July 2018 for 185days, matured on the 3rd of this month. Till now, I have got no alert of my principal amount and interest. This is my first time though. Pls is this normal?

Most times you will not get alert when it is credited to your account. So if you are sure that it expired on the 3rd January, 2019 just go and check your account balance. I believe it will be there in your account.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by justsmile(f): 11:38am On Jan 09, 2019
freeman67:

Most times you will not get alert when it is credited to your account. So if you are sure that it expired on the 3rd January, 2019 just go and check your account balance. I believe it will be there in your account.

Ohh... thanks a lot. I will check.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zinaunreal(m): 1:11pm On Jan 09, 2019
needful:

grin grin grin this one got me
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Just2endowed2(m): 1:20pm On Jan 09, 2019
unite4real:

Not listed yet.

really? i cant buy investment that cannot be liquidated

(1) (2) (3) ... (657) (658) (659) (660) (661) (662) (663) ... (2228) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: abimcdssi and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.