Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (765) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4443535 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (762) (763) (764) (765) (766) (767) (768) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 3:37pm On May 02, 2019
olujaidi:

Retail credits. They probably lend at 3-6% monthly. In a year that's at least 36%. Retail lending is a fast growing sector that the commercial banks don't really play in but MFBs and Finance Houses do.

You're wise. This particular MFB gives out loan on a 6-7% return rate on a reducing balance method (another word for compounding interest). When calculated annually, that's over 30% so I don't see the impossibility in giving around 15% rate on fixed deposits.

Commercial banks have made many of us settle for mediocrity. These ones will provide loans at over 12% (when you provide your head as collateral), fix your money at ridiculous rates (3-6%), and chart away around 40% of accrued interests when you dare to liquidate before maturity.

Most of these commercial banks have become so lazy. Over 40% of Zenith bank's earnings came through TBills in 2018. In the last quarter alone, 5 banks earned over 15 billion from "account maintenance charges". That's how many of these lazy banks survive.

https://www.nairaland.com/5160251/5-banks-earn-n15.7bn-account

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 3:39pm On May 02, 2019
Gtb 12.5 just got debited #364 days
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 3:48pm On May 02, 2019
Got debited GTB ..Means Auction was successful
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vacanci: 5:00pm On May 02, 2019
ikechukz:
Hello everyone, thanks for all your contributions in this thread, especially to the OP. I have a spare 500k that I wish to invest, and my question is this; rather than investing for say 14% for a year, will it be better for me to invest for say 12% for three months and do it like three times in a year. Which of them will pay more?

Interest rate is usually per annum. if you do 12% for 3 months, the interest you got will be divided by 4 since 3 months is a quarter of one year.

For example, 12% of 500K is N60,000. This 60K is actually per annum. Since you are doing it for 3 months out of 12 months, the interest will be 3/12 X 60,000 which is 15,000.

so for 3 months, you earn 15K and not 60K. If you now do this three times in a year, you will have earned 45K in 9 months.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ikechukz(m): 5:11pm On May 02, 2019
vacanci:

Interest rate is usually per annum. if you do 12% for 3 months, the interest you got will be divided by 4 since 3 months is a quarter of one year.

For example, 12% of 500K is N60,000. This 60K is actually per annum. Since you are doing it for 3 months out of 12 months, the interest will be 3/12 X 60,000 which is 15,000.

so for 3 months, you earn 15K and not 60K. If you now do this three times in a year, you will have earned 45K in 9 months.
wow! Thanks a lot for breaking it down for me. It's all I wanted to know.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GodgraciousR: 5:11pm On May 02, 2019
Please, is it possible for me to have more than one TB with one bank?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vacanci: 5:21pm On May 02, 2019
GodgraciousR:
Please, is it possible for me to have more than one TB with one bank?

you can even have up to 50 with one bank if u want
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GodgraciousR: 5:44pm On May 02, 2019
Thanks a lot. God bless you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 6:22pm On May 02, 2019
Acidosis:

You're wise. This particular MFB gives out loan on a 6-7% return rate on a reducing balance method (another word for compounding interest). When calculated annually, that's over 30% so I don't see the impossibility in giving around 15% rate on fixed deposits.

Commercial banks have made many of us settle for mediocrity. These ones will provide loans at over 12% (when you provide your head as collateral), fix your money at ridiculous rates (3-6%), and chart away around 40% of accrued interests when you dare to liquidate before maturity.

Most of these commercial banks have become so lazy. Over 40% of Zenith bank's earnings came through TBills in 2018. In the last quarter alone, 5 banks earned over 15 billion from "account maintenance charges". That's how many of these lazy banks survive.

https://www.nairaland.com/5160251/5-banks-earn-n15.7bn-account

Well said

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 6:29pm On May 02, 2019
olujaidi:

The riskiest thing in life is to take no risk. Everything in moderation
We are already taking risk in other aspect. We don't want to take unnecessary risk with our already earned money again.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by madprophet(m): 7:30pm On May 02, 2019
NL1960:

They are not. The give you at 21% per annum and lend at 5% per month which is 60% per annum. 60%-21% = 39%.

Boss,

Do this MFB pay as at when due?

Or I should just stick with my FBN MMF?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DInkMan(m): 9:05pm On May 02, 2019
ikechukz:
Hello everyone, thanks for all your contributions in this thread, especially to the OP. I have a spare 500k that I wish to invest, and my question is this; rather than investing for say 14% for a year, will it be better for me to invest for say 12% for three months and do it like three times in a year. Which of them will pay more?

This type of question has the highest frequency on this thread, lol

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiZEAL(m): 10:57pm On May 02, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
You must be living in a fools paradise.
That interest rate is per annum. You can google VFD group Plc. Or i can show you my investment letter.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiZEAL(m): 10:59pm On May 02, 2019
amjustme2:
In this Nigeria?

Please tell me the bank that pays this.

Possibly a link to the source of this info.

Else you should delete this post. You could be deceiving a lot of people.

Very possible sir. Check www.vfdgroup.com
Iook at the group's subsidiaries. You can get 12.5% per annum with 100k.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiZEAL(m): 11:00pm On May 02, 2019
Desanta:

Impossicant.

Very possible man. I can show you my investment letter.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 12:53am On May 03, 2019
Come who Don see result of the auctions today......
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 2:51am On May 03, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 6:26am On May 03, 2019
dipoolowoo:
CBN Raises 364-Day T-Bills Rate, Cuts 91-Day, 182-Day Rates
https://businesspost.ng/2019/05/03/cbn-raises-364-day-t-bills-rate-cuts-91-day-182-day-rates/

"
Lastly, of the N38.17 billion worth of the 364-day bill
auctioned, subscriptions worth N157.63 billion were
received, while N71.07 billion was sold to subscribers."

This is why rates are so low.

But... Where is all this liquidity coming from??

I pity all these people going long at current rates shaa...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 6:35am On May 03, 2019
RealityShot:

This is why rates are so low.

But... Where is all this liquidity coming from??

I pity all these people going long at current rates shaa...

Foreign investors
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 6:41am On May 03, 2019
I have seen guys here talking about the Juicy Renmoney rates...

it's simply high risk, even higher risk than Equity IMO!

Guys this is definitely a new bubble! I can bet one day this market will crash. GTB is already trying to play the game, but everyone has forgotten how NPL's nearly destroyed the banking industry and the Nigerian Economy. Move with caution with all this higher rates, remember the higher the reward? Then most definitely the higher the risk!

And for those that will say something about life without risks and blah blah blah, I agree, but it seems many of us have forgotten why we like Tbills and FG bonds, it's not because it will make us rich quickly, it's because it is safe and consistent. By all means take risks, but know the type of risk you are taking. grin

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 6:44am On May 03, 2019
amjustme2:
They should upgrade to Fund Managers,

Join FMAN

And I will start taking them serious.

They can't join FMAN because of the nature of that asset/investment. It's not regulated, it's just pure debt backed by the good will of ordinary good credit ratings. Nothing more.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 6:46am On May 03, 2019
madprophet:

Boss,

Stick with what you know. If you can take the risk go on though. grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jidobaba(m): 6:55am On May 03, 2019
vacanci:

Not quite.
Simply put, rates are lower for shorter tenors. Add multiple custodian fees etc, and the difference is clear.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 8:49am On May 03, 2019
madprophet:

Boss,

I do not know as i have never done any fixed deposit with them. I got to have an idea of their loan interest rate when i made an enquiry. The lady that responded to me refused to tell me their interest rate despite persistently asking. I got an idea of it when i went to their website and simulated a loan with their loan calculator. Iam aware that most MFBs do not use the reducing balance method for loans especially for retail/consumer loans but use flat rate method and it is always per month. They will tell you that their interest rate is single digit but they will not tell you that the single digit is per month.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vacanci: 10:25am On May 03, 2019
jidobaba:

Not quite.
Simply put, rates are lower for shorter tenors. Add multiple custodian fees etc, and the difference is clear.

the question asked by ikechukz has been answered in its simplest basic form and he is already satisfied. Which one is "not quite" again. He is not asking what happens to rate on a short term or long term. he is not asking of all those insignificant custodian fees.

he simply wants to know if rate is annualized or not and answer had been provided.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by goodboy744(m): 10:35am On May 03, 2019
Is there any way I can buy treasury bills without going to the bank and is there any special requirement and kind of new thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 10:49am On May 03, 2019
vacanci:

the question asked by ikechukz has been answered in its simplest basic form and he is already satisfied. Which one is "not quite" again. He is not asking what happens to rate on a short term or long term. he is not asking of all those insignificant custodian fees.

he simply wants to know if rate is annualized or not and answer had been provided.
NO SIR!

he knows that.

what he really wanted to know is:

if rolling over would make him get compounding effect.

AND the answer is YES!

however, due to FEES (as stated above) the difference for 3 months will be too small
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vacanci: 11:10am On May 03, 2019
RealityShot:

NO SIR!

he knows that.

what he really wanted to know is:

if rolling over would make him get compounding effect.

AND the answer is YES!

however, due to FEES (as stated above) the difference for 3 months will be too small

below was the response from the person that asked the question and the explanation was the exact response he wanted to get, so WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM WITH HIS SATISFACTION.

Did you read the part where he said "ITS ALL I WANTED TO KNOW"
afterall, you guys refused to answer him initially. Now he got his answer, debate has started. I taya o

ikechukz:

ikechukz:
wow! Thanks a lot for breaking it down for me. It's all I wanted to know.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by madprophet(m): 11:19am On May 03, 2019
GonFreecss1:

Stick with what you know. If you can take the risk go on though. grin

No oo.

Am already taking risk.

MMF is enough for me
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by seun289(m): 12:42pm On May 03, 2019
[quote author=madprophet post=78022202]I saw one advert about Ren Money where they have Fixed deposit rate of btw 12 to 21%

Any body used them before[/quote

Spoke with one of their rep in charge.. Says 21% was their former rate while 17% is d new rate and withholding tax of 10%
For a million naira=1000000*17%*0.9=153k @ d end of the year..
Over to the ogas and gurus
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 2:54pm On May 03, 2019
seun289:

Spoke with one of their rep in charge.. Says 21% was their former rate while 17% is d new rate and withholding tax of 10%
For a million naira=1000000*17%*0.9=153k @ d end of the year.. 
Over to the ogas and gurus
Is the company regulated? Is your money insured?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (762) (763) (764) (765) (766) (767) (768) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.