Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:44 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (786) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4428422 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (783) (784) (785) (786) (787) (788) (789) ... (2227) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 10:14am On May 28, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by phunix: 11:31am On May 28, 2019
RealityShot:
yes.

You earn upfront interest again if you invest the first interest at the same time.
(but the interest must exceed 100k)
Exactly how much minimum?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 12:13pm On May 28, 2019
RealityShot:
yes.

You earn upfront interest again if you invest the first interest at the same time.
(but the interest must exceed 100k)

I have done tbills for a while, but I have some doubts. If I choose to invest interest(upfront) along with my principal, how would it work? Would I be credited upfront on the original upfront on successful bid? Or, get true yield(get 13.4 % instead of 12.2% discount rate) on the whole at the end of tenure?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:22pm On May 28, 2019
They will reinvest all your upfront interest of the interests until the last 400 or 500naira which will be credited to your account cool
ositadima1:

I have done tbills for a while, but I have some doubts. If I choose to invest interest(upfront) along with my principal, how would it work? Would I be credited upfront on the original upfront on successful bid? Or, get true yield(get 13.4 % instead of 12.2% discount rate) on the whole at the end of tenure?

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 3:39pm On May 28, 2019
Please which people offers the best MMF. I mean flexibility, reliability and good rates. I want to put some money in mmf
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 4:44pm On May 28, 2019
ositadima1:

lol...

It's kinda fishy sometimes.. I will explain with numbers..

You invest N1000000
You will get N125000 (at 12.5% rate)

Then you asked for reinvest interest,
So you automatically invest the N125000
And you will get N12500+ in your account.

At the end of the year,
You will get N1125000 back from Tbills.

Add the N12500+
And you have total of N1137500

Therefore your true yield is N137500

Which is interest rate of 13.75% (TRUE YEILD)

Happy investing

14 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 4:48pm On May 28, 2019
chigo4u:
Please which people offers the best MMF. I mean flexibility, reliability and good rates. I want to put some money in mmf
I use stanbic IBTC Asset managers..
Never had an issue.
Very flexible.
Withdrew money during Xmas holidays without qualms.

Rates are very OK year round
And you do not need to open an IBTC bank account.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 6:24pm On May 28, 2019
RealityShot:
lol...

It's kinda fishy sometimes.. I will explain with numbers..

You invest N1000000
You will get N125000 (at 12.5% rate)

Then you asked for reinvest interest,
So you automatically invest the N125000
And you will get N12500+ in your account.

At the end of the year,
You will get N1125000 back from Tbills.

Add the N12500+
And you have total of N1137500

Therefore your true yield is N137500

Which is interest rate of 13.75% (TRUE YEILD)

Happy investing

Not fishy at all, it is straight forward. It is like running two separete tbills in one, principal and the upfront. Thanks

Now to make it a little complicated, if i then add roll over to it, what are the implications? Does it mean that my investment would compound automatically as I now have principal and initial upfront at end of tenure? That would be something, I can just fix an amount, forget about it and let it compound over several years.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 1:26am On May 29, 2019
ositadima1:

Not fishy at all, it is straight forward. It is like running two separete tbills in one, principal and the upfront. Thanks

Now to make it a little complicated, if i then add roll over to it, what are the implications? Does it mean that my investment would compound automatically as I now have principal and initial upfront at end of tenure? That would be something, I can just fix an amount, forget about it and let it compound over several years.
you are right..
You can add rollover till whenever.
And compound interest will occur.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 3:18am On May 29, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Apus: 5:23am On May 29, 2019
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) is scheduled to hold a Treasury Bills (T-Bills) Primary Market Auction (PMA) on the 30th of May 2019. T-Bills worth NGN 67.37bn will mature, and an equal amount will be issued in the 91-day, 182-day and 364-day instruments.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Godrocks: 8:30am On May 29, 2019
can I open fbn quest account today and how much will 350k give?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by reservd(m): 10:09am On May 29, 2019
Godrocks:
can I open fbn quest account today and how much will 350k give?
Wrong tread but you can do the math using 13% at least interest rate, compounded quarterly. Dnt forget to divide the interest by 4 to know d amount u wl receive quarterly
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by reservd(m): 10:10am On May 29, 2019
chigo4u:
Go to MMF tread, you wil learn more
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Littlemix(f): 1:12pm On May 29, 2019
FBN debited me last night of tbillz for 182 days..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Mizwisdom(f): 1:15pm On May 29, 2019
Apus:
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) is scheduled to hold a Treasury Bills (T-Bills) Primary Market Auction (PMA) on the 30th of May 2019. T-Bills worth NGN 67.37bn will mature, and an equal amount will be issued in the 91-day, 182-day and 364-day instruments.

Does this mean I can apply tomorrow?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by gold360(m): 2:23pm On May 29, 2019
Apus:
please I want to know if profit made from treasury bills are taxed at the end like commercial banks place withholding taxes of ten percent on fixed deposits
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 2:48pm On May 29, 2019
gold360:
please I want to know if profit made from treasury bills are taxed at the end like commercial banks place withholding taxes of ten percent on fixed deposits

The interest is not taxed.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by stcool(m): 3:12pm On May 29, 2019
Those interested in buying BDC license....get today's BusinessDay newspaper.

You will find info on BDC license for sale from Lagos operators. Price tag N40M

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Apus: 4:21pm On May 29, 2019
Mizwisdom:

Does this mean I can apply tomorrow?

Yes please.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by deff2: 4:35pm On May 29, 2019
What is the current rate of Tb at the secondary and primary market and when will the auction for primary market likely commerce? Please help a learner like me!!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:05pm On May 29, 2019
kam045:

Chairman,
I want to use this medium to thank you for your invaluable contribution towards treasure bills investment education. Your exposition and thorough explanation is quite commendable and insightful.

However, i will like you to throw more light on your monthly Tbills subscription, because i was wondering how the effect of compounding interest will take place, if your keep taking the interest upfront without compounding it. Ultimately, meeting the target of 1B on a planned date may not add up.

I will appreciate your kind response.

Thanks boss, I am investing monthly and converge all at my calendar year end. I do an average of 27m annually but nothing less than 500k monthly. Had a 20 years plan that got me to 2032 with over 800m. With that capital, I can comfortably achieve my billion mark in next 2 years. The way am surpassing targets, I might still meet up before 2032 by God's special grace. Amen. On compounding, I don't compound, I invest and reinvest the interest on secondary market and continue till I have the amount I will use.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by HeliosHay(m): 5:16pm On May 29, 2019
Barrytone:

Thanks boss, I am investing monthly and converge all at my calendar year end. I do an average of 27m annually but nothing less than 500k monthly. Had a 20 years plan that got me to 2032 with over 800m. With that capital, I can comfortably achieve my billion mark in next 2 years. The way am surpassing targets, I might still meet up before 2032 by God's special grace. Amen. On compounding, I don't compound, I invest and reinvest the interest on secondary market and continue till I have the amount I will use.

Out of curiosity Barrytone, how did you work out a 20-year plan that leads to 800m+?

Assuming you're investing 27m yearly at an average rate of 12%

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 5:32pm On May 29, 2019
RealityShot:
I use stanbic IBTC Asset managers..
Never had an issue.
Very flexible.
Withdrew money during Xmas holidays without qualms.

Rates are very OK year round
And you do not need to open an IBTC bank account.
Ok thanks.. So you didn't open an account with them? Is is advisable
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 29, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
If u can absorb this shock without death then u can make money ....this way one of my tanker moving 45000 litres of jet fuel to abuja ....i make around 450k per trip to kano airport ....but this can happen no risk no reward....a good truck can go 4 times a month this how we accumulate what is invested in tb

On the shock... don't you insure the trucks?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:17pm On May 29, 2019
HeliosHay:

Out of curiosity Barrytone, how did you work out a 20-year plan that leads to 800m+?

Assuming you're investing 27m yearly at an average rate of 12%

I worked it out with 14%, even with dwindling rate and surpassing my targets which means I raised more capital than expected. So far I have ran it for 2 years and have surpassed my targets each year and took a break as at February this year to buy car. I was supposed to be making 48m by September but am looking at 53m after buying of car. Without buying that car, I would be expecting 65m. Excess of 12m. I would stop investing when rates go beyond 8%. Remember to add 6m to every 50m at 12%, so after year one I added 4.5m and by the end of year 2, I will add atleast 6m to the 27m and it keeps increasing.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by HeliosHay(m): 6:57pm On May 29, 2019
Barrytone:

I worked it out with 14%, even with dwindling rate and surpassing my targets which means I raised more capital than expected. So far I have ran it for 2 years and have surpassed my targets each year and took a break as at February this year to buy car. I was supposed to be making 48m by September but am looking at 53m after buying of car. Without buying that car, I would be expecting 65m. Excess of 12m. I would stop investing when rates go beyond 8%. Remember to add 6m to every 50m at 12%, so after year one I added 4.5m and by the end of year 2, I will add atleast 6m to the 27m and it keeps increasing.

Alright, thanks for explaining. Really inspiring
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 7:35pm On May 29, 2019
Barrytone:

On compounding, I don't compound, I invest and reinvest the interest on secondary market and continue till I have the amount I will use.

If this isn't compounding, then what is?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:05pm On May 29, 2019
olujaidi:

If this isn't compounding, then what is?

Compounding is asking them to reinvest your interest till less than a 100k is left. The process is repeated till you have less than a 100k. I reinvest till it gets to the amount I so desire. Compounding is a one time investment while mine is invested after interest is paid which is likely next day and on secondary market
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kam045: 9:21pm On May 29, 2019
Barrytone:

Chairman,
Thanks for your wonderful explanation. However, i need further clarifications. I intend to align my investment objectives inline with your cash projection.
Does it mean that your monthly subscriptions, all have different maturity dates, for them to converge into year calendar end? Thereby enabling you to subscribe for your annually Tbill.

I look forward to your kind response.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 9:36pm On May 29, 2019
Barrytone:

Compounding is asking them to reinvest your interest till less than a 100k is left. The process is repeated till you have less than a 100k. I reinvest till it gets to the amount I so desire. Compounding is a one time investment while mine is invested after interest is paid which is likely next day and on secondary market

Do you mean reinvest as a fresh investment or you reinvest your upfront in the secondary market? If it is the latter, you have compounded.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (783) (784) (785) (786) (787) (788) (789) ... (2227) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.