Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,606 members, 7,820,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (826) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4446342 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (823) (824) (825) (826) (827) (828) (829) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Magnifico2000: 1:03pm On Jul 10, 2019
Amebo123:

Liquidity.
Too much cash chasing Tbills, always over subscriped. if CBN succeed to mop up cash in circulation then rates might increase - demand and supply.
Also if Oil price falls meaning less money for FG, they will need more money from the public thru Tbills to cover the short falls

You are right. I realised oil price is not falling anymore rather it is pegged around $62-$65 per barrel for the past few months. Perhaps CBN has to be successful with their mop up operations in order for the rates to increase.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Magnifico2000: 1:07pm On Jul 10, 2019
Barrytone:

My personal experience, I invest failed to care even with my money in their kitty. Las las I wasn't paid interest for the period the money was with them.
My bank, FBN confirmed money left my account to destination. I invest said they can't see my money. Sterling Bank said they are only bankers, it's between 2 customers so I go sort it out with I invest. I stay in Uyo, no I invest office. I then threatened my bank who then lodged a complaint with cbn and the threat made I invest to call me within 2 days and claim they have seen my money in their coffers. All this took away over 3 weeks from me and even when they claim interest will be paid for the period, they never did and I was contented with my capital. That was my personal frustrating experience.
Now I'm a bit skeptical about this I-invest app. I hope people have good news about the app

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Magnifico2000: 1:15pm On Jul 10, 2019
CompareDBest:
See Barrytone's negative experience: https://www.nairaland.com/878880/treasury-bills-nigeria/732#76905799 . This is the only negative one we remember, and there have been a number of positive experience. However, it highlights one risk as you have requested.
Thank you. See. I prefer doing it with the bank I normally do it with. Just that it is been long I invested in it. So I have lost track of recent happenings.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 1:48pm On Jul 10, 2019
Magnifico2000:

Thank you. See. I prefer doing it with the bank I normally do it with. Just that it is been long I invested in it. So I have lost track of recent happenings.
There is no recent happenings. Tbills is tbills, only rate changes. And the new I-invest we have that doesn't give interest upfront.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dxpecial(m): 1:54pm On Jul 10, 2019
who can explain the process to which I can invest in treasury bill??
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Magnifico2000: 2:40pm On Jul 10, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
There is no recent happenings. Tbills is tbills, only rate changes. And the new I-invest we have that doesn't give interest upfront.
I wanted to say recent rates.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by seun289(m): 2:40pm On Jul 10, 2019
Magnifico2000:
I need to make an investment decision promptly.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jul 10, 2019
dxpecial:
who can explain the process to which I can invest in treasury bill??

Nigerian Treasury Bills: Learn everything about Tbills
by Research Team, nairametrics.com
July 4, 2019 03:18 AM

This article explains how to invest in Nigerian Treasury Bills
A beginner guide to investing in treasury bills.
Water-down explanation of treasury bills and how to invest in it.
Quick tips on how interest is earned and when it is paid to an investor.
A run-down on benefits of investing in treasury bills
What are Treasury Bills?
Treasury Bills are government guaranteed debt instruments issued by CBN on their behalf to finance expenditure. The CBN also uses treasury bills to control money supply in the economy.

How are Treasury Bills Sold?
Treasury Bills are sold through a bi-weekly auction conducted by the CBN. Buyers are requested to quote bids following which the average minimum bid is selected.

Where can I buy Treasury Bills?
Treasury Bills can be bought through any official dealer. The easiest this days are through banks’ treasury bill mobile application. A typical example is the Sterling Bank’s i-invest.

What is the Minimum Amount I can Buy?
Before, you could buy for as low as N10,000 and in multiples of N1,000 thereafter. However, this was increased to N50,000,001 in 2017. This article explains how you can buy treasury bills if you do not have up to N50 million. Though, the minimum for the i-invest mobile application is N100,000.

When is it usually sold?
Treasury Bills is sold every other Wednesday (bi-weekly) as announced by the CBN. The CBN announces issuances in their websites and in the pages of national dailies. You can also ask your bank account officer to notify you ahead of an issuance.

How Can I Buy Treasury Bills?
To buy Treasury Bills you will have to approach your bank requesting for a form. You fill the form with your personal information also indicating the amount you want to buy as well has your bid rate.

With the advent of banks’ treasury bills mobile application, you are only required to fill a signup form once.

BONUS: Follow link to use Nairametrics’ treasury bills calculator

What is the bid rate?
The bid rate otherwise called your STOP RATE is the likely interest rate that you have indicated to receive for the principal that you investing in the TB’s. For example you can indicate an interest rate of 10% as your expected rate. Your bid rate will most likely be different from that of other intending buyers of TB’s.

How is the Bid Rate selected?
The CBN selects the bids that fall below the accepted marginal rates. The Marginal Rate is the minimum average rate for bids submitted within a bid window.  For example, if the marginal bid rate for a bid opened Wednesday 27 June is 11% then bids falling below this rate will be accepted and those above rejected.

[Read Also: This is how to bid for the second Treasury Bills Sale of 2019]

What if I don’t have a Bid rate?
If you do not have a Stop Rate or you are not sure of a rate you can select the option of having the bank choose a rate for you. However, this does not guarantee that the bank rate will be chosen or will be the best.

Can I still buy if my Bid is rejected?
You can purchase TB’s from the secondary market Over The Counter (OTC) through a broker. This is also where buyers and sellers of TB’s trade the notes in exchange for cash.

What are the durations (tenor) for the TB’s?
Treasury Bills are usually for 91 days, 182 days and 364 days. As such, you can have the CBN hold your cash for 91 days, 182 days or 364 days, depending on your choice. However, the CBN can decide they want to sell Treasury Bills for all the tenor available or either of them.

Can I sell before Maturity?
Yes, you can sell Treasury Bills before maturity. As mentioned above, this can be done through the OTC market. The price at which you sell depends on the forces of demand and supply. For example a N100,000 face value TB maybe selling for less or more depending on the yield expectation of the buyers. If your face value is trading at a higher price, it means you can sell your treasury bills at a profit as such your N100,000 can sell for N101,000 or more. If your face value is trading at a lower price, it means you can sell your treasury bills at a loss as such your N100,000 can sell for N99,000 or less.

When is the interest paid?
The interest element of a treasury bill is paid to you upfront and credited to your bank account. For example, if you purchase a N100,000 TB with an interest rate of 10% the CBN debits your account with N90,000 as such your N10,000 interest is paid upfront. Upon maturity, you are paid the face value N100,000. The upfront payment of your interest makes your true yield actually higher.

What is a True Yield?
True Yield is your actual Return on Investment. (ROI). Using the example above, the initial yield for the N100,000 is 10%. However, because they pay you interest upfront your true yield is actually the N10,000 in interest divided by the N90,000 actually deducted from your account. That is N10,000/N90,000 or 11.11%. This is, thus, higher than the 10% coupon. The True Yield is completely earned when you hold to maturity.

Can I roll over my investment?
The CBN does not rollover your investment automatically. However, you can give your bank a mandate to rollover the principal on your treasury bill upon maturity. You can also get the benefit of compounding interest by asking your bank to reinvest the interest portion of your TB once it is paid.

Are Treasury Bills Safe?
Treasury Bills are one of the safest forms of investment and are backed by the full faith and credit of the Federal Government of Nigeria.

Apart from the Interest Rates, what are the benefits?
A good source of steady stream of income.
Treasury Bills are a good investment outlet for your free and disposable cash.
Treasury Bills are good investments for people who wish to save.
Treasury Bills are also tax free.
Treasury Bills are very liquid and can be converted to cash quickly.
They can be used as a collateral.
Are Treasury Bills Taxable?
Interest derivable from Treasury Bills are not taxable.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by glorie1414: 2:56pm On Jul 10, 2019
Go to Post Abuja Jobs on nairaland here. You will see lots of Jobs in Abuja just keep applying for jobs. Again do you have any skill?

ajon1:
Good afternoon everyone, my name is Dayo. I'm a ardent job seeker. I graduated with second class lower in political science. I'm based in Abuja. If anyone can be kind enough to help recommend me to an employer or help me submit my resume, I'll be grateful. Have a great weekend!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 2:57pm On Jul 10, 2019
Magnifico2000:

You are right. I realised oil price is not falling anymore rather it is pegged around $62-$65 per barrel for the past few months. Perhaps CBN has to be successful with their mop up operations in order for the rates to increase.

Whenever the CBN is ready to hike rates, mopping up will happen in a flash. Just one N750bn OMO issuance at 14.5% will do the trick.

Buying stocks like ZENITH or UBA at current prices will give you about 17.68% (prorated) in dividends.

T-bills discounts will remain sub 12% for the rest of this quarter at least.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GodgraciousR: 3:02pm On Jul 10, 2019
'' it either they cheated you in the project or you over paid for land a building wort 36m will bring in 1.8 m-2m as annually .....while a building of 20 will bring in 1m .....that 5he hiidden rule (expect if their is wars or external factor like sudden road..'' [color=#000099][/color]
You are sure right about this. The cost of building our house at Shagam Ogun state was around 10m, and it brings a little above 600 thousand per annum. It is 2 units of 2bedroomflat and 1unit of 3 Bedroom Flat.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 3:03pm On Jul 10, 2019
awesomeJ:

Hypothesis or speculation?

awesomeJ:

Buying stocks like ZENITH or UBA at current prices will give you about 17.68% in dividends.

What's the risk associated with buying stocks? Is capital guaranteed?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 3:23pm On Jul 10, 2019
Bamz:

Hypothesis or speculation?

It's called a forecast-one you can bet on.

What's the risk associated with buying stocks? Is capital guaranteed?
Just about 3:
1. If the banks don't make as much profits as they did last year;
2. If their boards propose lower dividends despite thesame or improved earnings.
3.If you fail to sell at the right time to take profit.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ibrahim505(m): 3:25pm On Jul 10, 2019
zellfoxx:

Tried funding my account with a debit card and internet banking. No luck after multiple attempts. How did you fund yours?
I normally used to pay with debit card and it fails after multiple attempt yesternight. Its the only payment method i have convenience with.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ibrahim505(m): 3:30pm On Jul 10, 2019
lizzypro:
About the withdrawals is it to only the bank uour bvn is related to. Like can you withdraw to another account not related to that bvn
You can widraw only to any of your bank account link with your bvn.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 3:48pm On Jul 10, 2019
GodgraciousR:
'' it either they cheated you in the project or you over paid for land a building wort 36m will bring in 1.8 m-2m as annually .....while a building of 20 will bring in 1m .....that 5he hiidden rule (expect if their is wars or external factor like sudden road..'' [color=#000099][/color]
You are sure right about this. The cost of building our house at Shagam Ogun state was around 10m, and it brings a little above 600 thousand per annum. It is 2 units of 2bedroomflat and 1unit of 3 Bedroom Flat.
600 x 20 years =12 m (building 10m land 2m ) simple

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by annikanyi(f): 3:57pm On Jul 10, 2019
Hello Quorax, how do you buy ripple and Ethereum with your btc? Please explain. Do you have to sell the btc first and use naira to buy the other coins? Thanks
Quorax:
to reduce your risk, buy ripple and etherum with 1/4 of the money you made from btc. Good luck.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 4:34pm On Jul 10, 2019
awesomeJ:

Whenever the CBN is ready to hike rates, mopping up will happen in a flash. Just one N750bn OMO issuance at 14.5% will do the trick.

Buying stocks like ZENITH or UBA at current prices will give you about 17.68% (prorated) in dividends.

Oga is it at current rate? Wont the stock go down and ur capital vanished.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zellfoxx: 4:45pm On Jul 10, 2019
Magnifico2000:

Now I'm a bit skeptical about this I-invest app. I hope people have good news about the app

From my experience so far with the app, it lools like a total waste of valuable time. After failure on multiple attempts to fund the wallet via internet banking and debit card, I was advised to use their Direct transfer option.
On successful transfer to the account stated, the wallet has still not been funded even after receiving confirmation from one of their customer care reps that the money has been received by them...After almost a whole working day. I do hope when its time to withdraw, it won't be another story that touches.

I'll just respect myself and walk to a bank to do Tbills because its obvious they are far from ready for massive deployment.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 5:07pm On Jul 10, 2019
needful:

Oga is it at current rate? Wont the stock go down and ur capital vanished.

There's a chance those stocks may yet lose 5-10% of their current values based on the current state of the market. But it f you don't panic-sell, there's a higher chance (almost a guaranteed one) that you'll get to make15-20% on them between now and April either via dividends or capital gains.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 5:21pm On Jul 10, 2019
awesomeJ:

There's a chance those stocks may yet lose 5-10% of their current values based on the current state of the market. But it f you don't panic-sell, there's a higher chance (almost a guaranteed one) that you'll get to make15-20% on them between now and April either via dividends or capital gains.

Well on that note, I will prefer GTB and Zenith, although this is not the right time to enter them. I pm u, can u get back to me?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 10, 2019
glorie1414:
Go to Post Abuja Jobs on nairaland here. You will see lots of Jobs in Abuja just keep applying for jobs. Again do you have any skill?

Yes I do. I'm very good with the computer. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 6:47pm On Jul 10, 2019
needful:

Well on that note, I will prefer GTB and Zenith, although this is not the right time to enter them. I pm u, can u get back to me?

sure banker stocks!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kryptem: 6:48pm On Jul 10, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
Company A from country A come to Nigeria to set up a manufacturing company in agabara but require dollar to import raw materials and the cbn gives company A at 305 ....then company A parent company located in country A set up a money market investment firm AA the wired 10 million dollars to buy treasury bills at 14.5 then it converted at 355 at maturity AA has 4 bn naira in it NIgeria account ....the Company AA wires the nair a to company A it sister that manufacture in Nigeria the Company A write to cbn ot requires 4 bn at 305 to import machinery from country A cbn collect the naira 4 bn and give company A 13 million dollars wired to country AA parent company ....profit 3 million dollars in 1 year ......hmm cbn examiner.....dash him 100 k dollar he perfect the papers.....this what sunusi lamido was complaining about u can become a billionaire over night in Nigeria with just phone call...

Wisdom and understanding is what makes one wealthy.
Mhmmmm..

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OvaSabi1(f): 7:08pm On Jul 10, 2019
koonbey:

I-invest had 13.3% for a 70-something days tenor up to 3 days ago.

I hope these guys are not running a mini ponzi scheme sha.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OvaSabi1(f): 7:12pm On Jul 10, 2019
CompareDBest:
Likely reinvested into treasury bills and they are taking a margin off your investment by giving you the returns at maturity, not upfront. For example, we worked out that the 12.55% interest they offer at maturity works out as 11.15-11.16% upfront.

Please see their own words in the FAQ section at the bottom of this page: https://i-investng.com/

This is quite reassuring. I thought they were entering ponzi scheme zone.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lizzypro: 7:43pm On Jul 10, 2019
Yhea I mean can I withdraw to any bank that’s not linked to my bvn
Ibrahim505:

You can widraw only to any of your bank account link with your bvn.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 3:58am On Jul 11, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 10:06am On Jul 11, 2019
OvaSabi1:

I hope these guys are not running a mini ponzi scheme sha.

Lol then what would you say about MBA FOREX that offers 20% in a month?

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Jejebabaa: 10:40am On Jul 11, 2019
GodgraciousR:

Please which year was this building built and what was the finishing taste like. Was the house fenced, interlocked, litespan or Auminium roofing sheet, was the rooms tiled cos i spent almost 3.5M alone on tiles for the building not to talk of POP, wardrobes for each rooms, kitchen cabinets and the likes.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bennycollins: 11:09am On Jul 11, 2019
My acct just credited with my capital. I am looking to do a 182days and need to know the highest possible rate currently, whether P or S. Thanks in advance for helpful responses .

(1) (2) (3) ... (823) (824) (825) (826) (827) (828) (829) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Akerewe(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.